69 replies to this topic

#1 RyanBe_Tweetin

RyanBe_Tweetin

Rookie Free Agent

• Facebook \ Twitter
  • 699 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 03:26 PM

Posted Image

Jenny Vrentas is reporting tonight that UNC DE Quinton Coples is scheduled to come in to visit with the Jets this week. The Jets worked him out at DE, and OLB during his pro day. See our preview of Coples here

Her source also confirmed that University of Oklahoma OLB Ronnell Lewis has visited with the Jets. Comeback here tomorrow morning for our preview of Lewis.

Both guys would be assets as the Jets are in dire need of a pass rush, as we have discussed at length.

http://thejetpress.c...visits-as-well/

I posted a thread weeks ago about how Rex attended his Pro-Day and as of right now it seems like the Jets are looking to move from 16 whether it be up or down just judging by the players they have brought in for visits. Personally, I'd love this pick.

#2 SenorGato

SenorGato

Schottenhomer

• Members
  • 20,208 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 03:43 PM

Please fall to 16!

We sick an' tired of-a your ism-skism game. Dyin' 'n' goin' to heaven in-a Jesus' name, Lord. We know when we understand:

Almighty God is a living man. - Bob Marley "Get up Stand up"

#3 bitonti

bitonti

Draft Bathroom Attendant

• Members
  • 14,750 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 03:49 PM

quinton coples has been nit picked to death this spring but when all is said and done he's probably the best pass rusher in the entire draft. he'd be a steal at 16 ( could also be a trade up target, would be a similar move as trading up for Ingram. But coples is a much better athlete).

My posts have to get worse, so they can get better.

#4 derp

derp

Practice Squad Player

• Members
  • 574 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 10:19 PM

quinton coples has been nit picked to death this spring but when all is said and done he's probably the best pass rusher in the entire draft. he'd be a steal at 16 ( could also be a trade up target, would be a similar move as trading up for Ingram. But coples is a much better athlete).

If Coples got drafted to the Jets do you think he'd be asked to drop some weight and play OLB? Certainly would be a big, rangy athlete and a really good pass rusher who can impact the game. Think he's got the best chance of the first round pass rushers to be a guy that offenses really have to pay attention to.

#5 New York Mick

New York Mick

Still Censored

• Members
  • 8,649 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 10:37 PM

I dont see him lasting till 16 and I really hope we dont trade up for him or anyone else.

#6 RyanBe_Tweetin

RyanBe_Tweetin

Rookie Free Agent

• Facebook \ Twitter
  • 699 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 11:04 PM

I dont see him lasting till 16 and I really hope we dont trade up for him or anyone else.

I'd be surprised if we don't trade up at some point in this draft

#7 New York Mick

New York Mick

Still Censored

• Members
  • 8,649 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 11:24 PM

I wouldn't mind if we trade up after our 2nd pick but not before. I really hope we trade down and get an extra 3rd or a 4th. There's a lot of player we could use this year and we can get them after 16.

#8 derp

derp

Practice Squad Player

• Members
  • 574 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 08:50 AM

Hopefully the trade up is just packaging the 5th, 6th, and 7th round picks they can trade to move up into the 4th. They've got to make 2 picks in the 6th and 2 picks in the 7th anyway, so that wouldn't be bad. I could see it happening too, not sure what they're going to do with 7 late round picks.

Edited by derp, 18 April 2012 - 08:50 AM.

#9 bitonti

bitonti

Draft Bathroom Attendant

• Members
  • 14,750 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:14 AM

If Coples got drafted to the Jets do you think he'd be asked to drop some weight and play OLB?

yes that would be his projection like Mario Williams last year

#10 bLguerriero1

bLguerriero1

New Kid On The Block

• Members
  • 353 posts
  • Locationdirty jerz

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:16 AM

yeah he's not lasting until 16...

however, what do you guys think about his teammate in later rounds paige-moss?
a talented @sshole... would be a nice pick up in the 5th
The Original Flight Boys!
Posted Image

#11 RyanBe_Tweetin

RyanBe_Tweetin

Rookie Free Agent

• Facebook \ Twitter
  • 699 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:31 AM

I wouldn't mind if we trade up after our 2nd pick but not before. I really hope we trade down and get an extra 3rd or a 4th. There's a lot of player we could use this year and we can get them after 16.

I think Tannebaum will treat this years draft with urgency to try and secure a playoff spot and save his job so I think well trade up in the first or trade up in the second or back into the first. Ill be ok with a trade up if we take Ingram or coples, if either these guys can put up 10-15 sacks a season wouldn't you be okay with it to?

Edited by RyanBe_Tweetin, 18 April 2012 - 09:32 AM.

#12 JiF

JiF

President of the Rex Ryan Fan Club

• Members
  • 36,809 posts
  • LocationSomewhere between Heaven and Hell

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:40 AM

He'll be the first pass rusher off the board.

Anyone know how many pass rushers the Jets have brought in for a visit?
Posted Image

#13 bitonti

bitonti

Draft Bathroom Attendant

• Members
  • 14,750 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:28 AM

i just want to point out that the 4.7 40 that Coples runs a 280 is very similar to the 4.7 40 that Upshaw runs at about 272. the clear difference is height. but upshaw's athleticism is underrated.

#14 BroadwayJoe12

BroadwayJoe12

JN's Rust Cohle

• Members
  • 8,373 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 12:52 PM

i just want to point out that the 4.7 40 that Coples runs a 280 is very similar to the 4.7 40 that Upshaw runs at about 272. the clear difference is height. but upshaw's athleticism is underrated.

True, but besides Mayock, it seems as though Coples is unanimously favored by draftnicks and why there's talks of upshaw dropping to the second round.

#15 New York Mick

New York Mick

Still Censored

• Members
  • 8,649 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 02:20 PM

I think Tannebaum will treat this years draft with urgency to try and secure a playoff spot and save his job so I think well trade up in the first or trade up in the second or back into the first. Ill be ok with a trade up if we take Ingram or coples, if either these guys can put up 10-15 sacks a season wouldn't you be okay with it to?

It depends on what we gave to give up. Also there's no guarantee that these guys do that they could be the next VG or LT so I'd rather stay put or trade down and get as many players we can so we have a better chance of getting starters and depth.

It's kind of like trying to get laid when you're out drinking if you spend all your time on one chick because she's really hot you might end up wanking it or having to get the ugly leftover instead of having a threesome with an average girl and her friend. You have a better shot at getting laid if you talk to 15 girls then just one most of the night.

#16 HessStation

HessStation

FightThePower

• Members
  • 23,696 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 02:51 PM

I'm ALL for drafting dual pass rushers. Just keep em coming.

1. Coples
2. Lewis
3. get the best Safety available that they want

...works for me.

#17 RyanBe_Tweetin

RyanBe_Tweetin

Rookie Free Agent

• Facebook \ Twitter
  • 699 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 03:11 PM

It depends on what we gave to give up. Also there's no guarantee that these guys do that they could be the next VG or LT so I'd rather stay put or trade down and get as many players we can so we have a better chance of getting starters and depth.

It's kind of like trying to get laid when you're out drinking if you spend all your time on one chick because she's really hot you might end up wanking it or having to get the ugly leftover instead of having a threesome with an average girl and her friend. You have a better shot at getting laid if you talk to 15 girls then just one most of the night.

Well I think that the decision to trade up can't be criticized until the player taken shows what he can do on the field.If he's VG it was a bad idea to trade up. If he's JPP it was 100 percent worth it. Nice analogy though I see where your coming from

#18 RyanBe_Tweetin

RyanBe_Tweetin

Rookie Free Agent

• Facebook \ Twitter
  • 699 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 03:16 PM

I'm ALL for drafting dual pass rushers. Just keep em coming.

1. Coples
2. Lewis
3. get the best Safety available that they want

...works for me.

Is Lewis going to be the best pass rusher available at 47? I think one of the handful of guys who are boderline 1st rounders will make it to us in the second (Jones, Curry, Branch) I also think Irvin is a better option then Lewis. JMO but I love the idea of taking 2 pass rushers we already have a top 5 pass defense and with a combination of young pass rushers, we could be a scary defense for years.

#19 SenorGato

SenorGato

Schottenhomer

• Members
  • 20,208 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 07:01 AM

Ronnell Lewis sucks.

We sick an' tired of-a your ism-skism game. Dyin' 'n' goin' to heaven in-a Jesus' name, Lord. We know when we understand:

#20 JonEJet

JonEJet

NFL Alumni

• Banned
  • 14,112 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:35 AM

Ronnell Lewis sucks.

We get it

You love Barron, an hate Lewis

Lewis will be a solid pro

Posted Image

#21 SenorGato

SenorGato

Schottenhomer

• Members
  • 20,208 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 01:54 PM

We get it

You love Barron, an hate Lewis

Lewis will be a solid pro

I've been vocal about Lewis before that?

It wouldn't surprise me if I was wrong...He played like a girl pretty often in college, but physically he's Tarzan.

#22 JonEJet

JonEJet

NFL Alumni

• Banned
  • 14,112 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 03:18 PM

I've been vocal about Lewis before that?

It wouldn't surprise me if I was wrong...He played like a girl pretty often in college, but physically he's Tarzan.

Yeah, I brought him up as a possible 2nd round pick, and you didn't like him then

Nevertheless, I really hope we hang on to 16 or trade back if someone like DeCastro or Coples falls, and another team really want that plaer.

Either that, or hang on to 16, pick and take the BAP and trade up in the 2nd round for a player of need

Posted Image

#23 BroadwayJ667

BroadwayJ667

JetNation Spokesman

• Members
  • 3,318 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 04:08 PM

Frankly I really like Coples, I just never got excited because I never thought the Jets had a shot at him. In recent weeks there may be an outside shot. Questions about his desire or work ethic have been exaggerated. He played his senior season to not get hurt because he knew he had a chance to be a top ten pick. Rex and Pettine would find a way to make this guy a superstar.

As for Ronnell Lewis. This is the first I've heard of him. From what I am initially seeing of him there are some things to like.

He appears to be a guy who could be the long term replacement for Pace/Thomas. Would take about a season or two to be the full time replacement.

He needs to work on his balance and footwork a bit. He misses on a fair bit of tackles because he over-pursues or is out of place to close on the ball carrier. (see first few highlights of Florida State game below) Though he has very good closing speed. So if he were to shore up those issues, he'd be a terrific run defender and underneath pass defender.

Is used to playing as a stand up OLB or D lineman with hand in the dirt. A plus going into a Rex Ryan defense. Plays well at the point of attack. Takes on lineman much bigger quite well. Needs to shore up attack of proper shoulder at times.

Not a dynamic pass rusher, but should be able to reach the QB in blitz situations. Very straight line in his pursuit.

He is a wrap tackler; meaning he uses his arms to finish off the ball carrier, thus negating YAC.

Posted Image
NYJ 2012 season will be rebuilt like, Now more appropriate with Tebow
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kse0MG5n9wI&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PL716A68B046C6E750

#24 BroadwayJ667

BroadwayJ667

JetNation Spokesman

• Members
  • 3,318 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 04:08 PM

Posted Image
NYJ 2012 season will be rebuilt like, Now more appropriate with Tebow
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kse0MG5n9wI&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PL716A68B046C6E750

#25 SenorGato

SenorGato

Schottenhomer

• Members
  • 20,208 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 08:05 PM

I knock Lewis but secretly (not so much for smarter) he fits this team. Like Upshaw he played LB in college. Unlike Upshaw he moves like a LB.

Donezo on the whole no Lewis thing...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users