Quinton Coples Visiting Jets this Week

RyanBe_Tweetin

5855492-300x213.jpg

Jenny Vrentas is reporting tonight that UNC DE Quinton Coples is scheduled to come in to visit with the Jets this week. The Jets worked him out at DE, and OLB during his pro day. See our preview of Coples

here

Her source also confirmed that University of Oklahoma OLB Ronnell Lewis has visited with the Jets. Comeback here tomorrow morning for our preview of Lewis.

Both guys would be assets as the Jets are in dire need of a pass rush, as we have discussed at length.

I posted a thread weeks ago about how Rex attended his Pro-Day and as of right now it seems like the Jets are looking to move from 16 whether it be up or down just judging by the players they have brought in for visits. Personally, I'd love this pick.

quinton coples has been nit picked to death this spring but when all is said and done he's probably the best pass rusher in the entire draft. he'd be a steal at 16 ( could also be a trade up target, would be a similar move as trading up for Ingram. But coples is a much better athlete).

quinton coples has been nit picked to death this spring but when all is said and done he's probably the best pass rusher in the entire draft. he'd be a steal at 16 ( could also be a trade up target, would be a similar move as trading up for Ingram. But coples is a much better athlete).

If Coples got drafted to the Jets do you think he'd be asked to drop some weight and play OLB? Certainly would be a big, rangy athlete and a really good pass rusher who can impact the game. Think he's got the best chance of the first round pass rushers to be a guy that offenses really have to pay attention to.

I'd be surprised if we don't trade up at some point in this draft

Hopefully the trade up is just packaging the 5th, 6th, and 7th round picks they can trade to move up into the 4th. They've got to make 2 picks in the 6th and 2 picks in the 7th anyway, so that wouldn't be bad. I could see it happening too, not sure what they're going to do with 7 late round picks.

I wouldn't mind if we trade up after our 2nd pick but not before. I really hope we trade down and get an extra 3rd or a 4th. There's a lot of player we could use this year and we can get them after 16.

I think Tannebaum will treat this years draft with urgency to try and secure a playoff spot and save his job so I think well trade up in the first or trade up in the second or back into the first. Ill be ok with a trade up if we take Ingram or coples, if either these guys can put up 10-15 sacks a season wouldn't you be okay with it to?

i just want to point out that the 4.7 40 that Coples runs a 280 is very similar to the 4.7 40 that Upshaw runs at about 272. the clear difference is height. but upshaw's athleticism is underrated.

True, but besides Mayock, it seems as though Coples is unanimously favored by draftnicks and why there's talks of upshaw dropping to the second round.

I think Tannebaum will treat this years draft with urgency to try and secure a playoff spot and save his job so I think well trade up in the first or trade up in the second or back into the first. Ill be ok with a trade up if we take Ingram or coples, if either these guys can put up 10-15 sacks a season wouldn't you be okay with it to?

It depends on what we gave to give up. Also there's no guarantee that these guys do that they could be the next VG or LT so I'd rather stay put or trade down and get as many players we can so we have a better chance of getting starters and depth.

It's kind of like trying to get laid when you're out drinking if you spend all your time on one chick because she's really hot you might end up wanking it or having to get the ugly leftover instead of having a threesome with an average girl and her friend. You have a better shot at getting laid if you talk to 15 girls then just one most of the night.

It depends on what we gave to give up. Also there's no guarantee that these guys do that they could be the next VG or LT so I'd rather stay put or trade down and get as many players we can so we have a better chance of getting starters and depth.

It's kind of like trying to get laid when you're out drinking if you spend all your time on one chick because she's really hot you might end up wanking it or having to get the ugly leftover instead of having a threesome with an average girl and her friend. You have a better shot at getting laid if you talk to 15 girls then just one most of the night.

Well I think that the decision to trade up can't be criticized until the player taken shows what he can do on the field.If he's VG it was a bad idea to trade up. If he's JPP it was 100 percent worth it. Nice analogy though I see where your coming from

I'm ALL for drafting dual pass rushers. Just keep em coming.

1. Coples

2. Lewis

3. get the best Safety available that they want

...works for me.

Is Lewis going to be the best pass rusher available at 47? I think one of the handful of guys who are boderline 1st rounders will make it to us in the second (Jones, Curry, Branch) I also think Irvin is a better option then Lewis. JMO but I love the idea of taking 2 pass rushers we already have a top 5 pass defense and with a combination of young pass rushers, we could be a scary defense for years.

I've been vocal about Lewis before that?

It wouldn't surprise me if I was wrong...He played like a girl pretty often in college, but physically he's Tarzan.

Yeah, I brought him up as a possible 2nd round pick, and you didn't like him then

Nevertheless, I really hope we hang on to 16 or trade back if someone like DeCastro or Coples falls, and another team really want that plaer.

Either that, or hang on to 16, pick and take the BAP and trade up in the 2nd round for a player of need

Frankly I really like Coples, I just never got excited because I never thought the Jets had a shot at him. In recent weeks there may be an outside shot. Questions about his desire or work ethic have been exaggerated. He played his senior season to not get hurt because he knew he had a chance to be a top ten pick. Rex and Pettine would find a way to make this guy a superstar.

As for Ronnell Lewis. This is the first I've heard of him. From what I am initially seeing of him there are some things to like.

He appears to be a guy who could be the long term replacement for Pace/Thomas. Would take about a season or two to be the full time replacement.

He needs to work on his balance and footwork a bit. He misses on a fair bit of tackles because he over-pursues or is out of place to close on the ball carrier. (see first few highlights of Florida State game below) Though he has very good closing speed. So if he were to shore up those issues, he'd be a terrific run defender and underneath pass defender.

Is used to playing as a stand up OLB or D lineman with hand in the dirt. A plus going into a Rex Ryan defense. Plays well at the point of attack. Takes on lineman much bigger quite well. Needs to shore up attack of proper shoulder at times.

Not a dynamic pass rusher, but should be able to reach the QB in blitz situations. Very straight line in his pursuit.

He is a wrap tackler; meaning he uses his arms to finish off the ball carrier, thus negating YAC.

http://youtu.be/DS5coCK-qCg

http://youtu.be/HQgjTtfmg5w

One thing that I think has to be appealing about Coples is he's stout and would set the edge well as an OLB. Outside runs were a bit of a weakness last year when Bryan Thomas was out and I think Coples would definitely be helpful there. He's so big and stout that I think if he fails as an OLB he could easily put weight back on and be a really good 3-4 end.

I'm with those in the group who think he's been nitpicked to death this offseason. When I've watched him play his motor and effort look fine, and if he drops weight to change positions as I presume he would that'd only help his explosiveness. I'm sure interviews and the time that teams spent with him would be relevant. I do wonder if some of the negative talk out there about him right now has something to do with teams trying to push him down so they have a chance at him, that does tend to happen around this time of year.

Interesting side note, apparently Joey Clinkscales said that athleticism, arm length, and intelligence are significant factors in the transition to OLB. Not a lot of guys in this draft have all three, including quite a few that they supposedly have looked at.

What about Chandler Jones?

I've watched a few cutups and he might have the most impressive explosion of all the ends.

Guys got a frame you can dream on and there's more talk of him as a 5 technique than an OLB. That said, they tried him at OLB at his pro day and I wouldn't bet against his athleticism considering his family.

He's a confusing player to me...which is why I wouldn't use a first on him as I know him (obviously coaches and scouts get a better look at him). He's got the length, the frame, some power, some athleticism...etc...to do whatever he wants to as a pro. Definitely one of the best developmental talents in the draft past the first...Didn't get alot of sacks in college but got TFL.

As far as first step is concerned I don't think his is special, but he also was playing with foot problems last year IIRC.

Frankly I really like Coples, I just never got excited because I never thought the Jets had a shot at him. In recent weeks there may be an outside shot. Questions about his desire or work ethic have been exaggerated. He played his senior season to not get hurt because he knew he had a chance to be a top ten pick. Rex and Pettine would find a way to make this guy a superstar.

Coples is a real interesting case. He's a top 5 pick that would be an absolute steal at 16. the fact that he falls to 16 is troublesome but it's a home run if it works out. based on motor alone, Mercilus and Ingram Could be picked first.

Archived