Quinton Coples Visiting Jets this Week

RyanBe_Tweetin

Coples is a real interesting case. He's a top 5 pick that would be an absolute steal at 16. the fact that he falls to 16 is troublesome but it's a home run if it works out. based on motor alone, Mercilus and Ingram Could be picked first.

I understand why you would see a fall as troublesome, but in many cases I just see it as the way the draft works. Teams purposely try to plummet a guys stock who is at the top.

See Hakeem Nicks and the Giants a few years ago. Worked out for them.

I also wouldn't read much into it based on how Aaron Rodgers fell. So many teams could have used him, but felt comfortable otherwise.

More than anything I want the Jets to draft Stephen Hill, but if Quentin coples were to fall to 16, I think my anguish would be tempered by a QC pick.

here are my Senior Bowl notes on Coples

North Carolina defensive end Quinton Coples was among the class of the South defense. Coples is a pass rush terror and had several clean wins in the Pit drills. He displayed up-field explosion and a decent variety of moves. On the down side, he was having some trouble getting off of run blocks against Cordy Glenn, but even in that respect he improved as practice progressed. These two players had great battles. There are still questions about this player's consistency, but if we use only today as a guide, Coples might be the highest selected player in town this week.

• 3 weeks later...

I understand why you would see a fall as troublesome, but in many cases I just see it as the way the draft works. Teams purposely try to plummet a guys stock who is at the top.

I also wouldn't read much into it based on how Aaron Rodgers fell. So many teams could have used him, but felt comfortable otherwise.

More than anything I want the Jets to draft Stephen Hill, but if Quentin coples were to fall to 16, I think my anguish would be tempered by a QC pick.

Ya nailed that

how about Coples being the highest selected Senior Bowler? the guy probably should have gone 5-10 slots higher.

I thought the Jaguars or Seahawks were going to take him. Couldn't be more happy about this draft. What makes me mad is that every "Draft Guru" had Coples as either their number 1 or 2 DE and Stephen Hill in their Top 5 wideouts. Yet, these same people give us a bad draft grade and give the Pats an A while completely overlooking the fact that they took a 6th round talent in the 2nd round.

so you must have loved that draft right i hope it all works out

I thought the Jaguars or Seahawks were going to take him. Couldn't be more happy about this draft. What makes me mad is that every "Draft Guru" had Coples as either their number 1 or 2 DE and Stephen Hill in their Top 5 wideouts. Yet, these same people give us a bad draft grade and give the Pats an A while completely overlooking the fact that they took a 6th round talent in the 2nd round.

Well we're criminal minded over here.

• 4 months later...

Coples had 2 TFL yesterday... why is he such a terrible pick?

watch the tape dude, gawd blown up most of day, with as much as SF ran the ball ,u would hope someone would make a few tackles for Loss.

He aint a pass rushing machine, that to me is obvious for now.

Im not saying he wont ever be a good player, lightyears above Vern, just dont think he will be a sack machine

Don't think that's how he was even sold to the fanbase, but it is what the fanbase decided he has to be to be worth the #16 pick. Coples was an extremely well rounded player in college. He played inside and out, and was a force against both the run and the pass in either role.

He's entirely capable of putting up a big sack year or two or three.

Oh yeah hand selected pass rusher is probably the exact quote. Not player or anything...The 6'6" 290 pound 34 DE was taken purely as a pass rusher. It's pretty much all Coples did in college and at the Senior Bowl was rush the passer and I just *poof* forgot.

I mean he's been getting comped to guys like Ellis and Pryce...pure pass rushing speed demons. Got me again Chuck.

Oh yeah hand selected pass rusher is probably the exact quote. Not player or anything...The 6'6" 290 pound 34 DE was taken purely as a pass rusher. It's pretty much all Coples did in college and at the Senior Bowl was rush the passer and I just *poof* forgot.

I mean he's been getting comped to guys like Ellis and Pryce...pure pass rushing speed demons. Got me again Chuck.

Mmm hmmm.

Coples is going to be a nasty player here...Hand picked by Rex Ryan as his pass rusher with EVERYONE available? Um, **** yes?

But hey, that's just what the fanbase decided he was. Not you. It was the fanbase. And now it's the fanbase that's all sorts of gobbledygook crazy.

Right. The fanbase.

Coples has looked awesome in limited action, but I think the team severely underestimated how bad the LBs were going to be this season. Otherwise there's not much rhyme or reason to leaving Ingram, Jones, Mercilus, et al on the board and spending a 1 on Trevor Pryce 2.0 a year after spending a 1 on Shaun Ellis 2.0.

Coples has looked awesome in limited action, but I think the team severely underestimated how bad the LBs were going to be this season. Otherwise there's not much rhyme or reason to leaving Ingram, Jones, Mercilus, et al on the board and spending a 1 on Trevor Pryce 2.0 a year after spending a 1 on Shaun Ellis 2.0.

Well to be fair, Wilkerson is way bigger than Ellis even at his largest. It's entirely possible that this 4 game stretch of doom has made people forget that LBs are the RBs to the DL's OL, and the Jets' DL hasn't had the combo of size and athleticism they have in quite some time.

I'm willing to wait and see what Davis, McIntyre, and Mauga can add to the veterans this year once the DL finds some consistency. All add some speed and mobility that the main group doesn't have.

• 2 months later...

And where does getting a Pryce and Ellis in their prime become a bad thing? They were both pro bowlers.

coples finishes the season with 5.5 sacks (and 2 PD), from the 3-4 DE position. not JJ Watt level but not bad. Chandler Jones had 6 sacks (3 FF, 5 PD) and Bruce Irvin (taken one pick earlier at 15) had 8.

in a never ending quest to improve accuracy of my wild ass predictions I was clearly wrong about Coples moving to OLB. He's a shaun ellis replacement, HIm and Wilkerson are cornerstone 3-4 DE types and that's a good thing going forward.

Was he the best pass rusher in the senior class? Yes. Was he better than the juniors? I guess Irvin and Jones would have to be above him. But he ain't bad and he's the best fit of the 3 players for Rex's D. He's certainly the biggest of those players and It seems like a real solid if not very good pick. its more likely that a coples or a wilk get to Brady on the inside than an Irvin on the outside.

btw Irvin had that 2 sack day against NYJ, 1 sack against AZ a month later (Dec 9) and has basically been shut out. hot and cold type player like Johnny Abe. A couple bad turns he turns into Maybin. Chandler Jones hasn't had a sack since October 28.

Coples seems like he's gonna be this good or better no risk. the pass deflections especially are encouraging.

coples finishes the season with 5.5 sacks (and 2 PD), from the 3-4 DE position. not JJ Watt level but not bad. Chandler Jones had 6 sacks (3 FF, 5 PD) and Bruce Irvin (taken one pick earlier at 15) had 8.

in a never ending quest to improve accuracy of my wild ass predictions I was clearly wrong about Coples moving to OLB. He's a shaun ellis replacement, HIm and Wilkerson are cornerstone 3-4 DE types and that's a good thing going forward.

Was he the best pass rusher in the senior class? Yes. Was he better than the juniors? I guess Irvin and Jones would have to be above him. But he ain't bad and he's the best fit of the 3 players for Rex's D. He's certainly the biggest of those players and It seems like a real solid if not very good pick. its more likely that a coples or a wilk get to Brady on the inside than an Irvin on the outside.

btw Irvin had that 2 sack day against NYJ, 1 sack against AZ a month later (Dec 9) and has basically been shut out. hot and cold type player like Johnny Abe. A couple bad turns he turns into Maybin. Chandler Jones hasn't had a sack since October 28.

Coples seems like he's gonna be this good or better no risk. the pass deflections especially are encouraging.

I'd love to see snap numbers.

Coples was really coming along toward the end of the season. Closing well and getting off blocks. Wonder why they didnt play him as much.

Ingram and McCellin didnt do squat. Players Mayock loved over Coples. Irvin's a one trick pony. Jets fans would hate him. He provides no value other than speed rusher, like Maybin. Seattle can afford that. Jones had a hot start and was flat the rest of the season. Coples put up similar numbers in a lot less snaps. Mercilus looks like he might be a player.

I agree with Gato, Coples will be the best.

I'd love to see snap numbers.

Coples was really coming along toward the end of the season. Closing well and getting off blocks. Wonder why they didnt play him as much.

Ingram and McCellin didnt do squat. Players Mayock loved over Coples. Irvin's a one trick pony. Jets fans would hate him. He provides no value other than speed rusher, like Maybin. Seattle can afford that. Jones had a hot start and was flat the rest of the season. Coples put up similar numbers in a lot less snaps. Mercilus looks like he might be a player.

I agree with Gato, Coples will be the best.

FootballOutsiders.com has them.

Defensive Snaps (not counting STs):

Coples: 503

Jones: 729

Irvin: 434

Archived