Season taking toll on Herm

Smizzy

Season taking toll on Herm

Tuesday, December 6, 2005

By RANDY LANGE

STAFF WRITER

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. - In a lighter moment Monday, Herm Edwards was asked how he felt his close coaching friend, Tony Dungy, was handling the undefeated Colts' possible "season for the ages."

"We're having a season for the ages, too," the Jets' coach interjected with a sad laugh. "It's aging me."

About the best that can be said following the Jets' 16-3 loss at New England is that Gang Green is getting perilously close to Reggie Bush/Matt Leinart territory.

In fact, had Houston not given up a last-minute field goal drive in its 16-15 loss to Baltimore, the Texans would have joined the Jets, San Francisco and Green Bay with 2-10 records.

And the Jets, by virtue of their strength of schedule, the weakest among the four, would have moved into the lead for the top pick in April's draft heading into the final four weeks of the season. As it is, they're in line for the No. 2 pick.

But that's cold comfort to the current Jets as they trudge into December. Edwards, who in previous seasons had rewarded his players with optional appearances at the team complex on "Victory Mondays," gave them their second "Defeat Monday" off in the last three weeks, and their third consecutive Monday without talking to reporters.

"Three-quarters of the guys were here anyway, lifting this morning," he said. "They need the day off mentally. We need to move ahead, not dwell."

The best thing they can do is prepare for Oakland on Sunday as if New England was an aberration and not the latest evidence that this is a season on the brink.

Brooks Bollinger, who will start against the Raiders, will make his sixth start after having generated one touchdown drive and no wins in his previous five, echoed sentiments from Edwards, Curtis Martin and others in declaring this "the most frustrating situation I've ever been around."

Bollinger had a relapse to his Baltimore-Carolina ineffectiveness against the Patriots' aggressive defense, which may cause some to wonder if another quarterback change is in the works. Edwards indicated not. Vinny Testaverde will remain the No. 2 QB and Kliff Kingsbury No. 3.

Waiting in the wings is Jay Fiedler. "Yeah, I'd like to see Jay," Edwards said before throwing cold water on Fiedler being available for Oakland or perhaps Miami on Dec. 18. "We'll try to force it a little bit more" with Fiedler, getting him to throw in 7-on-7 drills for the first time, for instance. But when asked if Fiedler is getting any closer to a return, he said, "Not really."

Edwards even speculated that Fiedler might need surgery on his right shoulder, partially dislocated back in Game 3 vs. Jacksonville.

"That's just me. I don't know that," the coach said after mentioning the surgical option. "But as this thing continues to go, if he's not getting well, something's got to happen."

Meanwhile, something must happen for the Jets in the final quarter of their season or they will only strengthen their credentials as one for the ages.

As it stands today, the Jets are last in the NFL for the second straight week in points scored and their 11.9 points per game, if it holds up, would be a record low for the franchise. And a loss to the Raiders would be their eighth straight, equaling the longest in-season losing streak in franchise history. No Jets or Titans team has lost nine in a row.

All things the Jets do not want to dwell on.

BRIEFS: DT Dewayne Robertson has a thigh bruise. Edwards informally listed him as questionable for the Raiders. ... RB Derrick Blaylock (foot) was upgraded to doubtful and will try to run this week. ... Oakland coach Norv Turner said he's contemplating starting QB Marques Tuiasosopo over Kerry Collins against the

This season has just sucked but on the lighter side has allowed me to enjoy my direct tv more and browse through other games. Funny I always find myself saying "Herm would not do that" "Chad cannot do that" "I wish McCareins could do that"

This season has just sucked but on the lighter side has allowed me to enjoy my direct tv more and browse through other games. Funny I always find myself saying "Herm would not do that" "Chad cannot do that" "I wish McCareins could do that"

I have a feeling you are not the only one who does that!

Archived