What players do you think the Jets will shop on draft day?

AFJF

Always the chance of adding players to a deal to move up or just to get rid of some "bottom of the roster" guys to add some late picks. Who do you think the Jets will look to shop?

Here's my list and why.

Greg McElroy. He can't have a ton of fans in the FO for airing the organizations dirty laundry but his college production and decent display in the pre-season last year could make him a guy somebody would give up a 5-7 rd pick. I'd think that moving him is a priority, and the Jets will draft another #3.

Wayne Hunter- Because he's horrible but he played well at times as a back-up.

Slauson or Moore- Morre is a bit long in the tooth and Slauson is a solid guy, but could definitely be upgraded. I think I've heard Caleb Schlauderaff's name mentioned more this off-season than anyone not named Tebow. If the Jets think he's ready to step in, or if Decastro falls to them, who knows?

I think Revis is going to be looked at as a player they may want to trade. He's near the peak of his value and like someone else said on this board the other day, could be used in a Hershel Walker type of capacity to change the makeup of the whole franchise. Oddly enough, the Vikes are a possible trade partner for him. They are in the market for a CB and are rumored to be considering one at #3.

We could get a their number one this year, take Richardson (or whoever they like) a number one next season and a number 2 or possibly two of them.

I love Revis as much as the next guy, but if we can have two seasons with two number one picks and two # 2's plus take Revis' salary off of the books, I think the Jets would consider such a move. Just thinkin over here

Revis, Scott, Hunter

Rumor, the Fo wants Richardson, of course anything can be a smoke screen. To get Richardson, I think you have to move up to #3. Without giving up the farm, Revis is about the only way. If I could get 2 (1st), and even 1 (2nd) for Revis, I would do it. Revis is great, but the Fo may be sick of this talk of holdout again, even though it may be only talk. Now if Minn wants Revis bad, you could almost throw in Scott, Hunter, for other players or picks. Revis carrys a lot of dead cap money this year, so you would have to offset that somehow, I believe. However, the Jets could really be set for years with so many selections, Richardson, plus the 16th, a early 2nd, which they could package and take another first rounder if they wanted or move down and get more picks, or package and move up to get the pass rusher, which would help with Revis gone. Tough call.

Revis currently counts $11.5M against the Jets 2012 cap.

If the Jets trade Revis, he will count $22M against the Jets 2012 cap.

He's not going to be traded.

Let me just say that I don't necessarily undertand the numbers side of the game, but how the hell can someone count more against the cap if they are traded and not on the team? Doesn't the new team assume control of the contract and all promises of payment within? Sounds weird and bizarre to me. I could see if there is some anti trading clause in the contract, but then there should also be an anti holding out clause too. No?

Let me just say that I don't necessarily undertand the numbers side of the game, but how the hell can someone count more against the cap if they are traded and not on the team? Doesn't the new team assume control of the contract and all promises of payment within? Sounds weird and bizarre to me. I could see if there is some anti trading clause in the contract, but then there should also be an anti holding out clause too. No?

When a player gets a signing bonus, that bonus is paid by the team and is spread out for cap purposes over the life of the deal. If that player is cut or traded before the contract expires, whatever remaining bonus money paid that has not yet been charged to the cap gets charged at that time.

So if you give a payer a $10M bonus on a five year deal, that bonus will count $2M/year against the cap. If you trade him in the second year of his deal, $2M would've been charged in the first season, but the remaining $8M would immediately come due.

In Revis' case, that number that would come due is $10.5M.

Let me say, too, that I screwed up in my initial post here. Now that I've had coffee, I can tell you his actual post trade cap number would be closer to $16M (because the Jets would no longer be paying his 2012 salary and workout bonuses) - but it's still prohibitive.

When a player gets a signing bonus, that bonus is paid by the team and is spread out for cap purposes over the life of the deal. If that player is cut or traded before the contract expires, whatever remaining bonus money paid that has not yet been charged to the cap gets charged at that time.

So if you give a payer a $10M bonus on a five year deal, that bonus will count $2M/year against the cap. If you trade him in the second year of his deal, $2M would've been charged in the first season, but the remaining $8M would immediately come due.

Let me say, too, that I screwed up in my initial post here. Now that I've had coffee, I can tell you his actual post trade cap number would be closer to $16M (because the Jets would no longer be paying his 2012 salary and workout bonuses) - but it's still prohibitive.

Ahhh I see. That was a very well explained, caffinated answer to my question. I can honestly say that I understand. :-)

Thanks pal.

I think Revis is going to be looked at as a player they may want to trade. He's near the peak of his value and like someone else said on this board the other day, could be used in a Hershel Walker type of capacity to change the makeup of the whole franchise. Oddly enough, the Vikes are a possible trade partner for him. They are in the market for a CB and are rumored to be considering one at #3.

We could get a their number one this year, take Richardson (or whoever they like) a number one next season and a number 2 or possibly two of them.

I love Revis as much as the next guy, but if we can have two seasons with two number one picks and two # 2's plus take Revis' salary off of the books, I think the Jets would consider such a move. Just thinkin over here

That sounds great but what about the cap hit trading him?

Vikings receive:

Revis

Jets receive:

next years second round pick

At 3 we pick Richardson

At 16 we pick upshaw or Ingram or any defensive pass rusher like that

We then trade the Vikings second rounder, our second rounder and maybe our third to move up into the bottom 10-12 picks of the first round and get a stud like Barron or another defender to add to the secondary Or hey maybe get another top pass rusher to pair with the 16 pick

Essentially it's revis for Richardson upshaw and another defensive stud

Then sign braylon in offseason

Wouldn't even mind drafting a top receiver at the end of round 1 instead of the second defender

Three impact first rounders one being Richardson all for revis is worth it

This! No one seems to want to hear this. Is this accurate Slats? Ive heard it in more than one spot.

Corrected in post #9, but Revis isn't going anywhere this year.

I could see Tannenbaum trying to pacify Revis with more money this year while simultaneously making it easier to trade him next year. That's what I would do.

Im not sure Revis can ever fetch anything close to a Hershel Walker type deal simply because with these rumors of a possible 3rd holdout teams will shy away from his bullsh*t. if this is true and he is putting out rumors of a holdout hes doing it to scare the jets to see if they will cave and cut his current deal up and give him a new one. If he holds out I think the Jets should try and trade him and get what they can and if there are no takers let him ******* rot. Sorry but this guy is taking this a bit too far I have never heard of a player walking out on 3 deals in 4 years. its ridiculous

Vikings receive:

Revis

Jets receive:

At 3 we pick Richardson

We then trade the Vikings second rounder, our second rounder and maybe our third to move up into the bottom 10-12 picks of the first round and get a stud like Barron or another defender to add to the secondary Or hey maybe get another top pass rusher to pair with the 16 pick

Wouldn't even mind drafting a top receiver at the end of round 1 instead of the second defender

If this was possible i would not mind it at all but Im not sure its possible

Slats what if the team we trade him too agrees to pick up those bonuses ?

Slats what if the team we trade him too agrees to pick up those bonuses ?

I don't know if that's even a possibility under NFL rules. I'm pretty sure it's never been done.

btw, Holmes isn't going anywhere, either, for the same reasons.

That's very interesting. They paid him 16M the last two years. To get the longer term benefit of draft picks and the beautiful TR/Barron/Ingram scenario above, why not? Note too that Cosell even mocked the Vikings taking a CB this year to defend Rodgers. Our chance to right the ship may start here. Not to mention the message this would send to the world that the Jets have a ******* vision for once in their existence.

Always the chance of adding players to a deal to move up or just to get rid of some "bottom of the roster" guys to add some late picks. Who do you think the Jets will look to shop?

Here's my list and why.

Greg McElroy. He can't have a ton of fans in the FO for airing the organizations dirty laundry but his college production and decent display in the pre-season last year could make him a guy somebody would give up a 5-7 rd pick. I'd think that moving him is a priority, and the Jets will draft another #3.

Wayne Hunter- Because he's horrible but he played well at times as a back-up.

Slauson or Moore- Morre is a bit long in the tooth and Slauson is a solid guy, but could definitely be upgraded. I think I've heard Caleb Schlauderaff's name mentioned more this off-season than anyone not named Tebow. If the Jets think he's ready to step in, or if Decastro falls to them, who knows?

Nobody is going to give the Jets a damn thing for McElroy. He is a second-year player who was a 7th rounder and spent his entire rookie year on IR. I agree if anyone is willing to give up anything for Hunter, there's a good chance he's gone. The Gs I don't think we'll see a move on simply because of depth issues. The team is definitely big fans of Schlauderaff, but I think to start the year he'll be Turner's replacement as the #1 backup to all interior lineman spots with him being the heir apparent to Moore when they decide he's done.

Scott is another one they'd be more than willing to move, but I'm not sure they'll have anyone interested. If they end up going OLB in the first they could also potentially listen to offers for Pace after that if the team feels Thomas' health isn't an issue. The only other position I could see them making moves on is the DL, simply because it's their deepest position and outside of Pouha, pretty damn young too, and have Ellis waiting in the waits on top of that, who they clearly feel has a great upside. With the way he played last year a guy like Dixon could draw some interest or maybe if they feel Dixon can start they might be willing to listen to offers for DeVito, seeing as how he's in the last year of his deal (although that one I would doubt).

Revis currently counts $11.5M against the Jets 2012 cap.

If the Jets trade Revis, he will count $22M against the Jets 2012 cap.

He's not going to be traded.

This. Revis and Holmes would be the best trade bait for the Jets that they might potentially consider, but they can't afford to trade either one, so it's never going to happen.

I don't know if that's even a possibility under NFL rules. I'm pretty sure it's never been done.

btw, Holmes isn't going anywhere, either, for the same reasons.

well yeah you read my mind on holmes I would love to see that bitch the hell out of here. But didnt the Jets pick up half the bonus money owed to Tim Tebow ?

Bigger Problem with Revis and Holmes is their attitudes ones a greedy a$$ the other is just an a$$ all around

well yeah you read my mind on holmes I would love to see that bitch the hell out of here. But didnt the Jets pick up half the bonus money owed to Tim Tebow ?

Bigger Problem with Revis and Holmes is their attitudes ones a greedy a$$ the other is just an a$$ all around

Tebow's money wasn't bonus money, it was a salary advance. Semantics, but it effects the way the rules are applied.

I could see Tannenbaum trying to pacify Revis with more money this year while simultaneously making it easier to trade him next year. That's what I would do.

I was actually thinking something similar when thinking about this earlier. If Revis does come back asking for money, I wouldn't be surprised if Tanny will essentially tell him they absolutely won't give him a new deal, but tell him they'll toss him an extra couple million this year to play the season and the promise of a trade next year, which would all but guarantee him a brand new fat contract with a big old bonus at that time. As you said, they clearly are not in a position where they can trade him this year, and I can't imagine this team giving him another brand new deal.

Vikings receive:

Revis

Jets receive:

At 3 we pick Richardson

who plays opposite Cro?

Slats, if Revis (or any player) holds out mid-contract and we don't budge, does that absolve the team of any salary/cap obligations?

I realize this wouldn't help us trade for the #3 in 24hrs, but I'm still curious.

Im not sure Revis can ever fetch anything close to a Hershel Walker type deal simply because with these rumors of a possible 3rd holdout teams will shy away from his bullsh*t. if this is true and he is putting out rumors of a holdout hes doing it to scare the jets to see if they will cave and cut his current deal up and give him a new one. If he holds out I think the Jets should try and trade him and get what they can and if there are no takers let him ******* rot. Sorry but this guy is taking this a bit too far I have never heard of a player walking out on 3 deals in 4 years. its ridiculous

I could not agree more. Screw him if he pulls it again.

The thing is that other teams afre not as pressed against the cap as we are and will need to spend a certain amount beginning next season. Revis wanting more money isn't the same problem elsewhere as it is here.

I don't think it could be quite what the Walker trade was but I was using that as an example where a team used a great player to get top value and rebuild their squad. Two number one picks over the next two seasons and maybe an extra 2 would go a long way towards accomplishing that.

Slats, if Revis (or any player) holds out mid-contract and we don't budge, does that absolve the team of any salary/cap obligations?

I realize this wouldn't help us trade for the #3 in 24hrs, but I'm still curious.

I'm not sure how that would work. If there was a clause in his contract that required him to give back bonus money if he held out, then they might get relief... But I don't think it even starts counting as a hold out until the regular season begins and he misses game checks.

Nobody is going to give the Jets a damn thing for McElroy. He is a second-year player who was a 7th rounder and spent his entire rookie year on IR.

Disagree with this one just a bit. The league is littered with horrible QB's on their rosters. Because of a lack of decent QB play, I wouldn't be shocked if a GM rolled the dice giving up a 5-7th rounder on a QB who was a 7th rounder and showed just a little bit in pre-season. Granted, it's only pre-season, but we're talking about the QB position and some teams would be willing to use a late pick to get a #3 that they could develop. Again, they may not, but I think we'll find out come draft day because I'd think the Jets will be actively shopping McElroy.

Disagree with this one just a bit. The league is littered with horrible QB's on their rosters. Because of a lack of decent QB play, I wouldn't be shocked if a GM rolled the dice giving up a 5-7th rounder on a QB who was a 7th rounder and showed just a little bit in pre-season. Granted, it's only pre-season, but we're talking about the QB position and some teams would be willing to use a late pick to get a #3 that they could develop. Again, they may not, but I think we'll find out come draft day because I'd think the Jets will be actively shopping McElroy.

Highly unlikely, IMHO. It would take a team that was in love with McElroy in the way that the Jets were inexplicably in love with O'Connell. Otherwise, teams will take their own chances in the draft.

Jets will probably spend one of their 6th or 7th rounders on a QB, too. I'm sure McElroy talking publicly about the locker room doesn't sit well with management, but other teams see that and don't want it, either. Nobody likes a tattle-tale.

Archived