do measurables matter for Bush?

bitonti

I know what people will probably say. But i just wanted to throw this out there...

Most people believe Bush will be the first selection in the next draft. He's listed as six feet on the USC roster but at times appears to be no taller than 5-foot-9.

Heights are always exaggerated and his probably is also.

I know it's difficult finding people smaller than he is when you scan the Trojan sideline.

Something tells me that in the NFL Bush will not see the ball 20-25 times a game as a tailback, but some imaginative offensive coordinator will take advantage of his remarkable skills and give him the opportunity to do the things Steve Smith does for the Carolina Panthers.

http://www.rockymounttelegram.com/sports/content/sports/stories/2005/12/04/120505RMTGrillo.html

----

another note not only if he shows up short but what if he goes out and runs a bad 4.55 forty or something???

my question isn't so much will he be a great pro, but will be the consensus #1 overall selection that he is now?

It would effect my opinion of him. He may look fast now but in the NFL everyone is fast. You need to be fast, big, smart, and motivated in the NFL. I guess I'm just scared after seeing the Desmond Howard, and Raghib Ismail's come into the league and flop. I would bet that it may drop him in the draft too.

Reggie Bush plays HUGE in the big games...that's what you look for when evauating talent...oh and eveytime he touches the ball he gets 10 yards...

This guy is going to be great.

Look up the Rocket's stats in College or Desmond Howard's. Both huge in big games. I will send you a copy of the Orange Bowl game against #2 Colorado when Rocket returned a legit punt for a TD to win the Game and it was called back for a bogus clipping penalty. These guys also had unbelievable stats for their time. Both were huge stars because of thier speed and big play ability and both were busts.

Bush's legs = Todd Pinkston's.

I agree that no one is a sure thing but these flashy fast college players that lack size are almost a guarentee to bust in the NFL. Especially if drafted by a team like the Jets with so many other needs. In a November snow storm at a home game in the meadowlands speed won't really matter too much.

emmit smith was undersized...

Tiki Barber is undersized...

who would you rather have right now...martin or barber...

Bush can handle 19 carries a agame

Even at 6'0" 200 Bush is smaller than any of those guys you mentioned. You see the article above. Schools pump up height and weight all the time.

You guys do realize that it is better for a runningback to be short right? Its called leverage..

The problem I have with Reggie is his legs are too small..

He is really going to have to get into the weight room this summer, and stregnthen them or he will be a bust.

You guys do realize that it is better for a runningback to be short right? Its called leverage..

The problem I have with Reggie is his legs are too small..

He is really going to have to get into the weight room this summer, and stregnthen them or he will be a bust.

Exactly, I'm not talking about height - this isn't basketball. I'm talking about weight/Height ratio or total size. Sure Emmitt was 5'9" but he weighed around 220. If Bush is 5'9" there is no way he weighs more than 185 and his legs look like Todd Pinkston's.

Exactly, I'm not talking about height - this isn't basketball. I'm talking about weight/Height ratio or total size. Sure Emmitt was 5'9" but he weighed around 220. If Bush is 5'9" there is no way he weighs more than 185 and his legs look like Todd Pinkston's.

Im with you 100% RsherryJr.. You are probably the most knowledgeable, least biased poster on this board..

Bush can handle 19 carries a agame

which begs my second question if you are paying a guy #1 overall money is 19 carries a game enough? who gets the carries 4th and goal from the 1?

Why would anyone need a RB by committee if you have paid 50 million to the "best" player in college football?

so who do you suggest we take? according to you guys Lienart, Young, Bush, and DBrick are all going to be busts....so i guess we should trade our first round pick for a bunch of 2nd day draft picks, that way they wont be busts, we'll expect them to be bad?

i respect you guys, and i see your points about all of them...but there hasnt been a single player coming out of college that you couldnt find SOME way to put a bust label on, and to be completely honest--if bush is truely as great as some think he is, who knows, maybe hes going to be the one exception to the rule in the entire history of the NFL. Likely? no---but theres always one exception, and it just might be him

I never said that I thought Leinart was a bust. As a matter of fact I think he could be a Leftie Peyton Manning. He has all the tools the only question is his heart - but that is a question with any pick no matter what. It all depends on Chad's health if I'm the Jets. If he is healthy then trade down - if not get Leinart.

Who the hell..? What the?

Who is this moron? 5'9?

There's absolutely no reason for USC to list Bush at 6'0. Some people even think 6ft is too tall for a running back. Why not list him at 5'10 or 5'11 if he was really 5'9?

I already got 1 sig/avatar bet going on Bush's weight with rsherry. He'll weigh in over 200lbs at the combines/USC proday.

Who is this moron? 5'9?

There's absolutely no reason for USC to list Bush at 6'0. Some people even think 6ft is too tall for a running back. Why not list him at 5'10 or 5'11 if he was really 5'9?

I already got 1 sig/avatar bet going on Bush's weight with rsherry. He'll weigh in over 200lbs at the combines/USC proday.

EB all schools do this - Maybe Bit or R44 know why but schools have been listing players at a different weight for years.

EB all schools do this - Maybe Bit or R44 know why but schools have been listing players at a different weight for years.

No doubt. I know this.

But in Bush's case, its not like he looks short.

This isnt darren sproles at 5'5 listed at 5'7.

IMO, I dont know wtf this guy is talking about. Bush looks pretty tall for a running back (6ft is borderline tall for a running back).

If he was 5'9, why list him 3 inches ahead of his real height? Why not 5'10 or 5'11.

And not a chance this guy runs over a 4.5

40 time doesnt matter for Bush, IMO. Height and Weight matters. If he somehow say lists in a 185 :lol: then I'd be worried and he'd drop down alittle in my book. But I dont see that happening at all.

I never said that I thought Leinart was a bust. As a matter of fact I think he could be a Leftie Peyton Manning. He has all the tools the only question is his heart - but that is a question with any pick no matter what. It all depends on Chad's health if I'm the Jets. If he is healthy then trade down - if not get Leinart.

I agree 100%.. Ive been a Leinart advocate from day 1..

Leinarts arm isn't strong, but still a lot better then Pennington's.

Who cares if we have $ invested in 2 QB's? We are going to have to pay Bush the same thing..

You guys have to understand that HB is the easiest position to fill.. Even Adrian Murrell did a decent job..

which begs my second question if you are paying a guy #1 overall money is 19 carries a game enough? who gets the carries 4th and goal from the 1?

Why would anyone need a RB by committee if you have paid 50 million to the "best" player in college football?

Why would we pay a QB 64 million dollars if he can't play more then 7 games max?

Who is this moron? 5'9?

Come on barton, all schools do this.

Nobody really verifies height and weights so the school is at liberty to put anything down that they so choose.

For those players going on to the NFL, everything will be verified (and scrutinized) at the combine.

And BTW, what difference does it make if Reggie Bush is 6'0" or 5'9"?

He's still a great player.

Archived