Stephen Hill, OMG I'm so happy

BroadwayJ667

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you missed my point losing shotty was incredibly good for the Jets and incredibly bad for the Pats which is what point you were making with Sanchez. Thought you would pick up on that

I think he did Smash.

OTOH the initial line you gave was funny...Missing somebody not missing kinda threw some water on the fire, but initally it was funny.

you missed my point losing shotty was incredibly good for the Jets and incredibly bad for the Pats which is what point you were making with Sanchez. Thought you would pick up on that

you're point was pointless

If Sanchez gets better this year it will be because of Tebow pushing him. Sparano may have a worse track record running offenses then schotty does

you're point was pointless

If Sanchez gets better this year it will be because of Tebow pushing him. Sparano may have a worse track record running offenses then schotty does

Sorry but anyone sticking up for Shotty is not worth arguing with IMO....You hate a player you use any possible angle to make your point even if it comes down to not giving sh*tty any of the blame. Its quite sad Tebow pushing him LOL you kill me.

Yes I missunderstood what 37 said

You think he was that bad Smash?

Schotty had to have told Sanchez to not fumble and throw INTs. I dont see how Schotty can be blamed for Sanchez's carelessness with the football. The Jets threw the ball and opened up the offense for Sanchez. Isnt that what Sanchez wanted in his 3rd season? Also, it seemed the Jets were behind alot and needed to throw to get back in the game.

Haven't you read the board?

It was all Schotty's fault. Sanchez, the O-Line, Shonn Greene, the Kennedy assassination. All of it.

Sorry but anyone sticking up for Shotty Sanchez is not worth arguing with IMO....You hate a player coach you use any possible angle to make your point even if it comes down to not giving sh*tty Sanchez any of the blame. Its quite sad Tebow Sparano's pushing him offense LOL you kill me.

It's like a Mad Libs.

Besides maybe Gato, I don't think that anyone was "sticking up for Schotty" genuinely.

The point being made is that there is a very short list of times when a new offensive coordinator came in an revitalized a young QB... But, more importantly, that QB play, and offensive talent make coordinators, rather than the other way around. Arbitrary numbers, but Offensive Coordinator: 20%, Players (especially QB): 80%.

If Sanchez gets better this year there will be a lot of factors involved, and Tebow -I think- will be pretty low on the list.

Jets WRs got no separation under Schotty. Was it crappy receivers, crappy routes, or a combination? Probably choice #3. With added speed at WR, I'm a little optimistic that may change.

I don't really hold Sparano in any sort of high esteem, however. As much as I wanted Shottenheimer gone, I'm not expecting immediate vindication under the new old school coach.

If Sanchez gets better this year there will be a lot of factors involved, and Tebow -I think- will be pretty low on the list.

Jets WRs got no separation under Schotty. Was it crappy receivers, crappy routes, or a combination? Probably choice #3. With added speed at WR, I'm a little optimistic that may change.

I don't really hold Sparano in any sort of high esteem, however. As much as I wanted Shottenheimer gone, I'm not expecting immediate vindication under the new old school coach.

Plenty of people who went to the games argue otherwise. We don't have the benefit of seeing the whole field, but according to many, there were times when Holmes was running free and Sanchez just didn't see him.

Sanchez's awareness is awful right now. Maybe that will change. Don't know how you coach that.

Besides maybe Gato, I don't think that anyone was "sticking up for Schotty" genuinely.

The point being made is that there is a very short list of times when a new offensive coordinator came in an revitalized a young QB... But, more importantly, that QB play, and offensive talent make coordinators, rather than the other way around. Arbitrary numbers, but Offensive Coordinator: 20%, Players (especially QB): 80%.

I know this is the exception to the rule, but Harbaugh and Alex Smith say hello. It can happen

I know this is the exception to the rule, but Harbaugh and Alex Smith say hello. It can happen

No ring, no argument.

They went to exactly the same spot as we've made it to with that formula and no further. And they needed 5 Saints turnovers just to get there.

On the same plane, Sanchez sucked against the Steelers his last AFC Title game trip. In Alex Smith's effort against the Giants they were 1-for-the-game on 3rd downs. Meanwhile, Brady and Eli meet up in yet another Super Bowl.

No ring, no argument.

They went to exactly the same spot as we've made it to with that formula and no further. And they needed 5 Saints turnovers just to get there.

On the same plane, Sanchez sucked against the Steelers his last AFC Title game trip. In Alex Smith's effort against the Giants they were 1-for-the-game on 3rd downs. Meanwhile, Brady and Eli meet up in yet another Super Bowl.

I believe the premise of the argument was that the offensive coordinator makes little difference on the QB's success. Was I mistaken, or are we into another argument here that I am unaware of?

come on

I believe the premise of the argument was that the offensive coordinator makes little difference on the QB's success. Was I mistaken, or are we into another argument here that I am unaware of?

My case is that Alex Smith was just the same old Alex Smith in the end.

Plenty of people who went to the games argue otherwise. We don't have the benefit of seeing the whole field, but according to many, there were times when Holmes was running free and Sanchez just didn't see him.

Sanchez's awareness is awful right now. Maybe that will change. Don't know how you coach that.

yep, what a bizzare thing for slats to say.. that kind of nonsense is usually reserved for smashmouth

Sorry but anyone sticking up for Shotty is not worth arguing with IMO....You hate a player you use any possible angle to make your point even if it comes down to not giving sh*tty any of the blame. Its quite sad Tebow pushing him LOL you kill me.

Yes I missunderstood what 37 said

I'm a sanchez fan, doesn't mean I'm going to delude myself into thinking he doesn't have serious issues playing the position consistently... trolling the sanchez fanboys is just fun..

I think tebow pushing him will be a factor, i think he's a little lazy

alex smith was asked to do what sanchez has been asked to do, don't screw it up... It's a much different proposition then go out and carry team on shoulders. Harbaugh made Smith more successful by asking him to do easier job

My case is that Alex Smith was just the same old Alex Smith in the end.

I believe he did improve from the year prior, did he not? Isn't it the coaches job to put the players on the field in the best position to succeed? Part of that has to include knowing the strengths and weaknesses of the entire unit, and playing to those strengths, is it not?

That being the case, while Alex Smith is never going to be a Tom Brady, didn't Harbaugh do a masterful job of playing to his strengths and limiting his weaknesses?

I am of the opinion that he did. I am also of the opinion that Schottenheimer did not. I don't believe that Schottenheimer did with any of his QB's. I think it's great that we picked up Hill. I like our WR corps now, and I hope that Sparano plays to the strengths of Sanchez and more so the entire offense. That's all I hope for this year.

I'm a sanchez fan, doesn't mean I'm going to delude myself into thinking he doesn't have serious issues playing the position consistently... trolling the sanchez fanboys is just fun..

I think tebow pushing him will be a factor, i think he's a little lazy

I have to agree with you here. Sanchez, to me is infuriating. He has shown flashes of talent, but then he follows it up with a bone-headed lazy throw. I hope to God that something clicks in the kids head. I still like him, but we just need to see more from him. He needs to mature, and work smarter and not harder.

Don't go to the games, so I can only go by what I see. What I saw was more passes thrown into traffic than open receivers missed.

Don't know what his progressions were under Schotty, either. Do know that he seemed to have a lot less time to throw last year.

I don't like being in the position of defending Sanchez as I've been disappointed in him, too. I just haven't closed the book on him yet. I think the offseason the Jets missed last year hurt the entire offense, and having it this year will help immensely. Sanchez needs that work, as does Ducasse. Sanchez needs to focus better, and if having Sparano beating that into him or Tebow over his shoulder helps with that, I'm all for it.

One area where I believe Sparano's offense will help is that that I believe it will be a much simpler offense to operate than Shottenheimer's. Hopefully there won't be the same miscues between the QB and WRs that we saw last season a lot. I do think the speed aids Sanchez, too, because for all the complaints he seems to have a pretty long ball.

I have to agree with you here. Sanchez, to me is infuriating. He has shown flashes of talent, but then he follows it up with a bone-headed lazy throw. I hope to God that something clicks in the kids head. I still like him, but we just need to see more from him. He needs to mature, and work smarter and not harder.

I think the rumors of being lazy and coddled are true. Don't care how much time he spends in weight room perfecting his model body, or at the complex eating hot dogs and wiping boogers on people.. I know plenty of people that spend a lot of time on the job, while accomplishing little. Tebow to me is going to force him to be more serious if he wants to keep his job. Maybe immature is a better word then lazy

I think the rumors of being lazy and coddled are true. Don't care how much time he spends in weight room perfecting his model body, or at the complex eating hot dogs and wiping boogers on people.. I know plenty of people that spend a lot of time on the job, while accomplishing little. Tebow to me is going to force him to be more serious if he wants to keep his job. Maybe immature is a better word then lazy

Don't agree on lazy, but coddled and immature ring true.

Just being in his fourth year, the maturity should start to come thru. If not, his OC essentially getting fired in direct response to his lack of production and having Timmy Christ backing him up ought to have his attention.

The New York Jets' speedy second-round pick out of Georgia Tech said Saturday that he modeled his game after Denver's Demaryius Thomas, also a former Yellow Jackets star, but agreed with comparisons to Calvin Johnson, and "if I could go old school: Jerry Rice."

That came a day after Joey Clinkscales, the Jets' vice president of college scouting, loosely compared Hill's size, speed and height to that of Johnson.

The 6-foot-4, 215-pound Hill is expected to step into a starting role opposite Santonio Holmes. He says he worked out during the past few months in Bradenton, Fla., with a number of quarterbacks, including former Jets star Vinny Testaverde.

Hill says he has already spoken to Mark Sanchez about the Jets' offense and playbook.

They've won the AFC a couple times, judging by the back-patting the Jets give themselves for losing two straight in the AFCCG, I'd say that's a pretty big accomplishment.

No back patting here. Congrats on your super bowl losses.

Don't go to the games, so I can only go by what I see. What I saw was more passes thrown into traffic than open receivers missed.

Don't know what his progressions were under Schotty, either. Do know that he seemed to have a lot less time to throw last year.

I don't like being in the position of defending Sanchez as I've been disappointed in him, too. I just haven't closed the book on him yet. I think the offseason the Jets missed last year hurt the entire offense, and having it this year will help immensely. Sanchez needs that work, as does Ducasse. Sanchez needs to focus better, and if having Sparano beating that into him or Tebow over his shoulder helps with that, I'm all for it.

One area where I believe Sparano's offense will help is that that I believe it will be a much simpler offense to operate than Shottenheimer's. Hopefully there won't be the same miscues between the QB and WRs that we saw last season a lot. I do think the speed aids Sanchez, too, because for all the complaints he seems to have a pretty long ball.

You'll rarely see the open WRs who aren't getting the ball unless you watch a WR exclusively, and you'll be lucky if you see it even then. As fans, we watch the ball.

He probably had less time to throw last year. But, he also led the league in taking sacks that came over 4 seconds after the snap. He holds the ball too long, he struggles under pressure, and he doesn't move well in the pocket. These things contribute to sacks, not withstanding the fact that other teams know all this and apply more pressure knowing the risk/reward of getting burned on the blitz is pretty low. Watching other teams play against the Jets, they attacked constantly and always had guys in the box. That's not because Holmes couldn't get open, but because they didn't fear that Sanchez could burn them for doing that.

The book certainly isn't closed on Sanchez. If only because he'll get another opportunity to play. So, we'll see.

I agree with you on Sanchez's long passes. He can throw them. To me though, it's a reminder of the problem. At USC, he always had WRs open deep. That doesn't happen in the NFL. In all of his college highlights, you don't see him making the tough NFL throws into tight windows. He never had to look off defenders, he never had to step up into the pocket and deliver a strike, he rarely had to go to his 3rd read, and these are all things he's struggled to do at the NFL level. I'm not sure he'll be able to, but it's not impossible.

I think he will be better next year, but for the reasons you mention, things will be simplified and he'll be limited. That'll make us a better team, but honestly, if he has an Alex Smith type year, I'm pretty confident we have a 49ers type ending... That's the league today.

The New York Jets' speedy second-round pick out of Georgia Tech said Saturday that he modeled his game after Denver's Demaryius Thomas, also a former Yellow Jackets star, but agreed with comparisons to Calvin Johnson, and "if I could go old school: Jerry Rice."

I was thinking more Randy Moss, with a little bit of Chris Carter, mixed in with a smidge of Don Hutson, and sprinkles of Steve Largent, Michael Irvin, and Sterling Sharpe.

Archived