With The 77th Pick The Jets Take LB Demario Davis

JetNation

Post image for With The 77th Pick The Jets Take LB Demario Davis

With their last pick until the 6th round barring a trade the Jets take Arkansas State OLB Demario Davis with the 77th pick.

Basic information from NFLDraftScout.com

Height: 6-2
Weight: 235 lbs.
Arm Length: 32 inches
Hand Length: 9 inches

Combine numbers:
40 yard dash: 4.61
Bench reps: 32
Vertical: 38.5
Broad: 10’04″
Shuttle: 4.28
Cone: 7.19

Overview(from NFL.com):
Davis is a big linebacker who is competitive and had a lot of tackles for Arkansas State. Speed is by far his best asset. He could run a 4.5 40-yard dash in the pre-draft process, and that kind of speed is hard to ignore. Davis is big enough to play the position in the NFL, and has fifth-round value to a team that needs a guy who can run down plays and be effective against both the pass and run. Davis can be an awesome special teams candidate early on, which likely will be the key reason he is on a field in Week 1 of the 2012 NFL season.

Analysis(from NFL.com):

Strengths

Davis can really run, and it shows in every play he is in against the run. He has a burst in short areas and can run down almost any back to meet him outside the tackles and cover the outside run. He chases hard and fast every play and would be an excellent option to play outside linebacker in a 4-3 defense. He is a good tackler and has that obvious explosion to drive through his hips and really deliver a blow on a ball carrier.

Weaknesses

Davis needs to gather better when running down plays from the inside-out. He is so fast that he can overrun guys at times and fly off them as his momentum takes him outside on a tackle. Against one-cut runners at the NFL level, he could have a tough time gathering to make a secure tackle on the run. His athletic ability really doesn’t translate to pass defense, where he can look awkward and out of place at times. He needs to learn to better diagnose plays because he could struggle against faster offenses.

di
di

v_mTSylB5o4

View the full article

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

5th round value, glad we took him in the 3rd.

he was in my top 100, i had him as a solid 3rd. that 38" vert is elite at any position.

this player was a late addition to Senior Bowl (like John Conner last year) and he showed up hitting.

This pick is Rex Ryan's style. He's an aggressive, explosive inside blitzer and all around tackling machine.

That ups the total to two so far.

I've stopped psychotically rocking back and forth. I'm OK with the drafting of Coples. I'm actually ok with the drafting of Hill. What's killing me is the drafting of Coples AND Hill. Given that the first two rounds are 50/50 propositions in the best of circumstances, the f*cking Jets drafted two guys who are--what--30/70 bust potential guys? They're betting the entire immediate future of this regime that Coples will all-of-a-sudden learn to give a sh*t about football after they hand him a check for $15 mil, and they're outright guessing that Hill will learn how to play WR in an offense that's not going to pass while working with two QB's who suck. IF a newly-minted Coples wakes the f*ck up and IF Hill is secretly a self-taught latent-genius who can immediately figure out how to play WR in the NFL, then it's a good draft, but the chances of both (either?) of those things happening are pretty f*cking remote and the fallout will be that the Jets are poised for a 6-10/7-9 season after which the whole regime gets flushed and we get to start all over again. Jet mother****in' life, baby.

I've stopped psychotically rocking back and forth. I'm OK with the drafting of Coples. I'm actually ok with the drafting of Hill. What's killing me is the drafting of Coples AND Hill. Given that the first two rounds are 50/50 propositions in the best of circumstances, the f*cking Jets drafted two guys who are--what--30/70 bust potential guys? They're betting the entire immediate future of this regime that Coples will all-of-a-sudden learn to give a sh*t about football after they hand him a check for $15 mil, and they're outright guessing that Hill will learn how to play WR in an offense that's not going to pass while working with two QB's who suck. IF a newly-minted Coples wakes the f*ck up and IF Hill is secretly a self-taught latent-genius who can immediately figure out how to play WR in the NFL, then it's a good draft, but the chances of both (either?) of those things happening are pretty f*cking remote and the fallout will be that the Jets are poised for a 6-10/7-9 season after which the whole regime gets flushed and we get to start all over again. Jet mother****in' life, baby.

Or they could all pan out

Write up from nationalfootballpost.com

Jumped off the tape at me, left me saying "this is a bad dude." Looks a little shorter and more compact than his 6-3 listing says. However, plays low, is a natural bender, keeps his base down and can really snap through the hips into contact. Is an explosive kid with a "plus" initial first step, natural fluidity when changing directions and can balance himself quickly and unload into contact. Possesses a long set of arms as well when looking to wrap. Is a "plus" tackler who is able to take good angles to the football, breakdown in space and get his man to the ground. Is very effective inside the box as well. Does a nice job using his length and short area quickness to get under blocks and either hold the point and shed on contact or make defenders miss. Rarely is locked up on and is very active/sudden with both his hands and feet. Overall a "plus" run defender. Is always around the football, showcases natural instincts keying off blocks and quickly locating the football. Plays off the correct shoulder well when defeating blocks and is quick to close.

Showcases a solid feel in the pass game as well. Will get caught at times being too narrow with his footwork. However he can bend, drop his pad level and accelerate laterally toward the football. Displays average hands, routinely is forced to double catch and despite his fluidity and quick footwork, looks a bit tight in the upper body which takes away from his ability to generate more force when closing on the play. Nevertheless, has a good feel in zone, reads and reacts well and gets plenty of early jumps on the football.

Impression: One of the biggest surprises on tape this draft season. Was explosive, instinctive and always making plays on the football. Looks like a starting caliber linebacker either inside or out in a 43 scheme.

So pretty much every site has unequivocally stated he's a good football player with excellent physical ability. Can't comment on him as I have never in my life seen an Arkansas State game, but when every analyst says his pluses are tackling and general football technique, coupled with plus physical tools, it can't be too bad.

Kate Upton and Scarlett Johannson could each give birth to one of my children on the same day nine months after our hellacious, drug-fueled menage au trois.

Note that "pan out" for Hill does not mean #1 WR. That would be nice, but his role is to help open things up without being an injury risk like Schilens. If they find a passer then he MIGHT be able to be a Vincent Jackson type...Right now just play a role.

Coples and Davis will be studs here...

Note that "pan out" for Hill does not mean #1 WR. That would be nice, but his role is to help open things up without being an injury risk like Schilens.

Supposedly, the Jets made Hill run a full NFL route tree during his visit and our scouting department was impressed.

Gholstonbaase.

Oh noes I don't knows football. I'm the first to miss..

Ugh to further dignify your bullsh*t...I had to acknowledge Oghobaase's injuries by the time the actual draft hit. He would have went in the top two rounds easy if injuries didn't wreck him.

Supposedly, the Jets made Hill run a full NFL route tree during his visit and our scouting department was impressed.

Hopefully he can look more natural than Braylon running a simple slant...Basic things for him...in the end hell be made by his QB like everyone else not named Johnson at his position.

Oh noes I don't knows football. I'm the first to miss..

Ugh to further dignify your bullsh*t...I had to acknowledge Oghobaase's injuries by the time the actual draft hit. He would have went in the top two rounds easy if injuries didn't wreck him.

In the past, I've pimped:

David Carr

Matt Leinart

Mike Williams (USC)

Robert Gallery

Ken Dorsey

It happens.

What you say!? You mean our FO didn't just bring him in to have a chin wag and talk about his shortcomings? Shocked. Whether our FO gets the picks right or not, it's just ignorant to assume that they don't try everything in their power to discern how well these players will translate to the pros. They ask the guys who drive them from the airport if they had a positive demeanor, but they won't ask a WR to run any routes.

Archived