With The 77th Pick The Jets Take LB Demario Davis

JetNation

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another write up, which seems to be status quo on his write up; he jumps off tape to everyone who watches him, impressive tackler, strongest and fastest backer at the draft, can play inside, has an amazing first step, can cover WRs and TEs, needs work on technique, tends to overrun plays due to speed etc.

Demario Davis, LB, Arkansas State

Height: 6’2″

Weight: 235

40 Time: 4.53

Grade: 6.9 (Grading Scale)

Arms: 32″ Hands: 9″

Vertical: 38.5″ Broad: 10’4″ 3 Cone: 7.19 Short Shuttle: 4.28 Bench: 32

Film Room Notes: Senior Bowl

Strengths: Demario Davis is a physical specimen – When watching him on film two words come to mind: explosive and powerful – He is one of the fastest linebackers in this draft class (4.53) and is THE strongest, producing 32 reps on the bench press – Davis can truly play a sideline to sideline type game – Tracks down the ball carrier all over the field, has great closing speed – When he gets to the ball he finishes with power – Has the ability to play any linebacker position, from 4-3 ILB, to OLB and could also be utilized as an edge rusher in a 3-4 – One of the most powerful tacklers in the draft, punishes the ball carrier with each tackle, wraps up and drives into the ground – Probably the most explosive first step of any LB, can get to top speed quickly – Keeps his pad level low, showcasing natural bend in his hips and knees – Takes on blockers at point of attack, can shed with his hands or with natural power – Fluid athlete, can move laterally, change direction easily and turn and run – Played in the 4-2-5, allowed to run free and make plays – Plays with an intensity and passion on each play, I think he could be at his best when he’s blitzing, just a relentless player – Plays instinctive, once he sees the play develop, it’s like he’s shot out of a cannon – His athletic ability allows him to be pretty solid in coverage, can run with backs out of the backfield and get a chip on the TE at LOS – Can also cover a WR out of the slot – Davis is one of the hardest workers in the draft and a great kid – Contributed on all special teams throughout his career – Has already graduated college and was on the academic honor roll throughout his time at Arkansas State.

Weaknesses: One of the biggest questions with Davis is where he is going to play at the next level – He was given a lot of freedom to make plays, so he will be reigned in a little bit in the pros – Technique can be improved, but has gotten better – Man coverage ability can always improve, as well as instincts while in zone coverage – Small school label, so not as well known as other players

Overall, Davis is one of the most explosive and well rounded defensive players in this year’s draft. He comes from a smaller school, where not many people saw him play. Davis is always around the ball and plays with such power and intensity that there is no doubt in my mind he will make in in the NFL. He will be a fit with just about every team in the league regardless of the type of defense they run. Look for Davis to come off the board in round three and looking back on it in five years that could be the steal of the draft.

http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2012/...ng-report.html

This is a great draft. I like the risk/reward calculus on all these guys. While I get that they are low at RT and safety, they took three guys that can grow into their positions but also contribute immediately. All three are exciting players with high ceilings.

If during the offseason it becomes apparent that Hunter cannot improve and that Ducasse is a bum then they can do what the Ravens did last year and plug in an over the hill vet for a year and then draft RT next year.

Gotta admit tho that i dunno what they do if Landry goes down. But it's not a perfect world in which we Jet fans live.

I'm not going to pretend to know a damn thing about this guy, but it sounds pretty decent when the reports refer to him as both the strongest and fastest LB in the class who jumps off of the tape. Clearly this team was not joking when they said their top priority this offseason was improving team speed.

He makes Debbie seem positive.

Haha hey someone has to be the grumpy one.

I'm pretty positive on this draft so far. Except for giving up that 4th rounder for that fullback from Denver. Imagine what we could do with that 4th!

Haha hey someone has to be the grumpy one.

I'm pretty positive on this draft so far. Except for giving up that 4th rounder for that fullback from Denver. Imagine what we could do with that 4th!

Tanny does piss away picks with the best of them.

I've stopped psychotically rocking back and forth. I'm OK with the drafting of Coples. I'm actually ok with the drafting of Hill. What's killing me is the drafting of Coples AND Hill. Given that the first two rounds are 50/50 propositions in the best of circumstances, the f*cking Jets drafted two guys who are--what--30/70 bust potential guys? They're betting the entire immediate future of this regime that Coples will all-of-a-sudden learn to give a sh*t about football after they hand him a check for $15 mil, and they're outright guessing that Hill will learn how to play WR in an offense that's not going to pass while working with two QB's who suck. IF a newly-minted Coples wakes the f*ck up and IF Hill is secretly a self-taught latent-genius who can immediately figure out how to play WR in the NFL, then it's a good draft, but the chances of both (either?) of those things happening are pretty f*cking remote and the fallout will be that the Jets are poised for a 6-10/7-9 season after which the whole regime gets flushed and we get to start all over again. Jet mother****in' life, baby.

I dont like what we did this draft either bro.

Coples I can deal with given that Rex put his stamp on it. Thats the only reason why I can co-sign that, but his pro day wasnt impressive whatsoever. This Hill pick up is a disaster because we completely bypassed Jeffery.

Im seriously getting tired of the bullsh_t with this ******* football team.

Have some faith people. Name one time Rex has let you down. Look what he did with Maybin, and he didn't even play half the year. Look at he Mo-Wilk pick. Have some faith. As far as the not picking up a RT I'm a little upset especially when there were good plays on the board, but having that being said our offensive coordinator is a O-line coach. When have you even know him to have a suck as O-line? Think hard cuz those dolphin O-lines were killing us the years he was coaching them.

I dont like what we did this draft either bro.

Coples I can deal with given that Rex put his stamp on it. Thats the only reason why I can co-sign that, but his pro day wasnt impressive whatsoever. This Hill pick up is a disaster because we completely bypassed Jeffery.

Im seriously getting tired of the bullsh_t with this ******* football team.

While I understand some of the trepidation and anger you have with our picks, I would argue the least of the hostility should be for passing up jeffrey. He's just not what this team needed; he's a very solid receiver, but he lacks ideal burst off the line and the straight line speed needed to gain consistent separation, which is something that our team needs. Constantly compared to a better big Mike Williams. We needed that receiver to get over the top of the defenses, so as to force them from stop playing practically at the LOS and jumping every route.

I mean it's your opinion and you def have every right to be pissed for us passing up on Alshon, I don't want to come across as I'm saying you're wrong, because none of us know how they'll all pan out, but I think in time you'll like the type of niche he'll fit into and how he'll open up the field for everyone else. We'll see though.

Mixed feelings on this pick. This is a pick made so that the JETS can cover the big NE tight ends,

If the JETS had a 4th or 5th i would feel better. But with no 4th and 5th this pick makes me think could we have drafted some other position like the O-Line.

Good news is if he pans out this is the end of Bart Scott on this team by next season if we cannot find a way to move him now.

Granted I never watched an Arkansas State game, but from the one non-highlight reel clip I could find on youtube of their game with N. Illinois it looks like he has real nice closing speed, but can get washed out pretty badly on plays, presumably cause he's undersized. Not saying this is what he is as a player, but that's just what happened in that game. His measureables make him a 3rd round pick more than anything since he's speedy as ****. Maybin + Davis would be some crazy speed to throw at a QB at the same time.

Wish there were more clips on him, but I mean, he did play at Arkansas State.

I've stopped psychotically rocking back and forth. I'm OK with the drafting of Coples. I'm actually ok with the drafting of Hill. What's killing me is the drafting of Coples AND Hill. Given that the first two rounds are 50/50 propositions in the best of circumstances, the f*cking Jets drafted two guys who are--what--30/70 bust potential guys? They're betting the entire immediate future of this regime that Coples will all-of-a-sudden learn to give a sh*t about football after they hand him a check for $15 mil, and they're outright guessing that Hill will learn how to play WR in an offense that's not going to pass while working with two QB's who suck. IF a newly-minted Coples wakes the f*ck up and IF Hill is secretly a self-taught latent-genius who can immediately figure out how to play WR in the NFL, then it's a good draft, but the chances of both (either?) of those things happening are pretty f*cking remote and the fallout will be that the Jets are poised for a 6-10/7-9 season after which the whole regime gets flushed and we get to start all over again. Jet mother****in' life, baby.

Hill's coaching staff is on record as stating that this nonsense is complete BS and that their WR's ran every pro route. The team did not throw the ball. Suggesting that Hill need to learn how to play WR is overkill. As to Coples, if the staff and defensive Vets on this team cannot ensure that his motor is running on every play then this team was doomed to begin with.

Many pre draft analysts had BOTH of these guys ranked among the top two at their position.

Hill's coaching staff is on record as stating that this nonsense is complete BS and that their WR's ran every pro route. The team did not throw the ball. Suggesting that Hill need to learn how to play WR is overkill. As to Coples, if the staff and defensive Vets on this team cannot ensure that his motor is running on every play then this team was doomed to begin with.

Many pre draft analysts had BOTH of these guys ranked among the top two at their position.

I love the Hill pick, but Hill's coaching staff can say all they want, the fact is they run a junk offense and had a mediocre QB running the show. He wasn't asked to do a whole lot but go deep (which he did very well. Just look at his ypc average)

Mixed feelings on this pick. This is a pick made so that the JETS can cover the big NE tight ends,

If the JETS had a 4th or 5th i would feel better. But with no 4th and 5th this pick makes me think could we have drafted some other position like the O-Line.

Good news is if he pans out this is the end of Bart Scott on this team by next season if we cannot find a way to move him now.

Look across the league. It's not just NE. Colts have a bare cupboard and went QB, TE, TE

Archived