With The 77th Pick The Jets Take LB Demario Davis

JetNation

with all that speed a 2 star recruit playin in a sh1t conf

And you're point being? You know what school Jerry Rice went to? How about Ben Roethlisberger? Randy Moss? There have been plenty of very very productive NFL players that didn't get noticed coming out of HS and played in small, lesser known conferences.

Don't get me wrong, Im not saying Davis is going to be anywhere near that category of player at any point in his career. And I'm also not saying you have to like the pick. I, however, don't think its fair or all that reasonable to dislike the pick based solely on what type of recognition he got coming out of High School

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I complained about our defense being slow as sh*t, and we're definitely getting faster in this draft. While I was hoping to draft an offensive lineman in the 3rd round, I can't kill the pick too much especially from all the scouting reports I've read on this thread. At this point, I'll just wait and see before praising/getting pissed at this draft because you never know.

While I understand some of the trepidation and anger you have with our picks, I would argue the least of the hostility should be for passing up jeffrey. He's just not what this team needed; he's a very solid receiver, but he lacks ideal burst off the line and the straight line speed needed to gain consistent separation, which is something that our team needs. Constantly compared to a better big Mike Williams. We needed that receiver to get over the top of the defenses, so as to force them from stop playing practically at the LOS and jumping every route.

I mean it's your opinion and you def have every right to be pissed for us passing up on Alshon, I don't want to come across as I'm saying you're wrong, because none of us know how they'll all pan out, but I think in time you'll like the type of niche he'll fit into and how he'll open up the field for everyone else. We'll see though.

I see what you're saying. I just think that there's more to a WR than Speed. Look at Fitzgerald. No where near the fastest WR in the NFL but is arguably the best WR in the league. Look at Heyward Bey, one of the fastest WR's in the history of the NFL with a 4.27 40 at the Combine, absolute trash. The comparisons are kind of on the extreme side, I know. Im certainly not saying that all slower WR's have the best hands and fast WR's are terrible, but you get my point. I will say this though, Jerry Rice, Anquan Boldin, Larry Fitzgerald and Chris Carter all ran slower than a 4.5 coming out of college. Jerry Rice is practically the best to ever do it, Fitz is a Future HOF, Chris should already be there, and Boldin is damn good. What do all of these WR's have in common? Unbelievable hands. Thats what I see in Jeffery.

Maybe you're right. At the end of the day maybe Jeffery doesnt work out and Hill ends up being a future probowler. Maybe they passed on Jeffery because they knew something that I obviously dont know. What I do know is that I havent seen hands like that in a long time. He lacks Ideal burst off the line, but he can be trained in that area to get better. Its about technique. He can learn how to angle his big body so CB's dont have such a big target to press. Again, its all about technique. He can certainly run tighter routes (which has been an issue), but what has been a bright spot about him is that he naturally knows where the soft spots are in zone defenses. Basically what im saying is that he's a rookie like everyone else, Stephen Hill is going to have to learn many things as well and improve on technique. I shouldnt have said "disaster" and Stephen Hill in the same sentence. What I should have said is that I didnt know Hill and from his highlights I wasnt overly impressed. He looks good, but not outstanding. I was very impressed with what I seen from Jeffery, but the bottomline is that you could very well be right.

As a side note though, WHO IN THE WORLD is going to stop both Marshall and Jeffery in the redzone out there at solider field? And with that running game? I dont know, I think the Bears really revamped their WR corp. Last year I watched alot of Panther football (Cam), this year I think I'll be watching some bears games as well. If they can add depth for the Oline to help protect Cutler Green Bay may have problems.

LOL...memory serves correctly you're still fairly fresh too. Welcome to the rest of your life.

Yeah, still fresh. Been a Jet fan since 1995 and only 31. I was watching the Draft with my step pops on thursday and when the Jets drafted Coples I was kinda shaking my head because it really wasnt expected. I turned to him in disgust and ask him "why didnt you ever buy me a Giants hat when I was younger". He told me because I was a Reggie Miller fan. That was his payback!

I found that pretty hilarious! lol.

I see what you're saying. I just think that there's more to a WR than Speed. Look at Fitzgerald. No where near the fastest WR in the NFL but is arguably the best WR in the league. Look at Heyward Bey, one of the fastest WR's in the history of the NFL with a 4.27 40 at the Combine, absolute trash. The comparisons are kind of on the extreme side, I know. Im certainly not saying that all slower WR's have the best hands and fast WR's are terrible, but you get my point. I will say this though, Jerry Rice, Anquan Boldin, Larry Fitzgerald and Chris Carter all ran slower than a 4.5 coming out of college. Jerry Rice is practically the best to ever do it, Fitz is a Future HOF, Chris should already be there, and Boldin is damn good. What do all of these WR's have in common? Unbelievable hands. Thats what I see in Jeffery.

Maybe you're right. At the end of the day maybe Jeffery doesnt work out and Hill ends up being a future probowler. Maybe they passed on Jeffery because they knew something that I obviously dont know. What I do know is that I havent seen hands like that in a long time. He lacks Ideal burst off the line, but he can be trained in that area to get better. Its about technique. He can learn how to angle his big body so CB's dont have such a big target to press. Again, its all about technique. He can certainly run tighter routes (which has been an issue), but what has been a bright spot about him is that he naturally knows where the soft spots are in zone defenses. Basically what im saying is that he's a rookie like everyone else, Stephen Hill is going to have to learn many things as well and improve on technique. I shouldnt have said "disaster" and Stephen Hill in the same sentence. What I should have said is that I didnt know Hill and from his highlights I wasnt overly impressed. He looks good, but not outstanding. I was very impressed with what I seen from Jeffery, but the bottomline is that you could very well be right.

As a side note though, WHO IN THE WORLD is going to stop both Marshall and Jeffery in the redzone out there at solider field? And with that running game? I dont know, I think the Bears really revamped their WR corp. Last year I watched alot of Panther football (Cam), this year I think I'll be watching some bears games as well. If they can add depth for the Oline to help protect Cutler Green Bay may have problems.

Right now Villian we know nothing of Hills technique but we know he can Run, can block, and is a very big target Hes going to open up this offense because teams will have to respect his speed something the Jets lacked last year and it was obvious. The Jets should have targeted a receiver of this type when they first Drafted Mark Sanchez so they could grow together but in typical stupid Jets fashion they did not. My view on this is better late than never. We will know sometime in the Middle of next season how the Jets offense will perform with a new system, new coordinator, and some new young talent at the WR position.

True. But I do not really care for those teams. If they crash and burn it would be just fine with it. :)

Wow. You just can't seem to follow a single line of thought. What does them crashing and burning have to do with making a draft pick to defend against the influx of receiving TEs? Actually don't answer.... Forget I asked, I don't have an entire evening to waste helping you sort the herp out of your derp.

Wow. You just can't seem to follow a single line of thought. What does them crashing and burning have to do with making a draft pick to defend against the influx of receiving TEs? Actually don't answer.... Forget I asked, I don't have an entire evening to waste helping you sort the herp out of your derp.

I really really really could have answered that. :)

Right now Villian we know nothing of Hills technique but we know he can Run, can block, and is a very big target Hes going to open up this offense because teams will have to respect his speed something the Jets lacked last year and it was obvious. The Jets should have targeted a receiver of this type when they first Drafted Mark Sanchez so they could grow together but in typical stupid Jets fashion they did not. My view on this is better late than never. We will know sometime in the Middle of next season how the Jets offense will perform with a new system, new coordinator, and some new young talent at the WR position.

True. We no nothing for any of these draft picks. What I do know is that it seems like the Jets (like many other teams) want to draft complete players instead of drafting a player because they see what the player could be and coaching him there. Hopefully the jets see special talent in Hill and will coach him to fulfill that potential. However, if they coach him like they've coached Sanchez this is going to be a long frustrating stretch. lol

And you're point being? You know what school Jerry Rice went to? How about Ben Roethlisberger? Randy Moss? There have been plenty of very very productive NFL players that didn't get noticed coming out of HS and played in small, lesser known conferences.

Don't get me wrong, Im not saying Davis is going to be anywhere near that category of player at any point in his career. And I'm also not saying you have to like the pick. I, however, don't think its fair or all that reasonable to dislike the pick based solely on what type of recognition he got coming out of High School

I get what you're saying and I completely agree but Randy Moss isnt the best example. He got kicked out of both Notre Dame and Florida St. before ending up at Marshall.

I get what you're saying and I completely agree but Randy Moss isnt the best example. He got kicked out of both Notre Dame and Florida St. before ending up at Marshall.

Good point. I'll admit I forgot about that, but Im sure there are plenty of other very good/great players in the league that never did get that recognition until they were drafted.

So I've been thinking...this seems to be the pick the ornery guys like RJF (sorry man) and T0m (not sorry!) love...are you really going out on a limb by calling a LINEBACKER with top 2 round measurables the best pick?

I guess that's not really the point is it? Still, what're the chances a relatively safe position like ILB sees a bust unless he gets injured or doesn't have the athletic numbers?

This isn't the BEST pick so much as it is the safest one....

Steal of the draft. He is going to be beastly. Great attitude, great discipline, excellent athlete, plays hard every play. LOVE this pick.

I do too. Rex said he reminds him of the young Bart Scott! Only this kid has great speed to go with a tough and intense attitude.

When you look at the differences between our defense and the Pittsburgh defense a few things jump out at you. Number 1, the Pittsburgh linebackers are much faster than ours, particularly the inside linebackers. This pick is a step towards improving in that area. Number 2, the Pittsburgh defensive ends are more active than ours. Drafting Coples and pairing him with Wilkerson is a step towards getting away from having offensive line blockers at the end positions and moving towards having penetrators up front. The final difference is Troy Palumalo and the play of their safeties. Hopefully Landry has a productive and healthy season, but we were not able to address that area once Barron came off the board. We improved our speed at inside backer, defensive line and wide receiver in the first three rounds and I for one am happy we did so. It was our biggest weakness and allowed us to be exploited by the Pats when they would spread us out and hit TE's and slot receivers underneath and in the seams.

Archived