Davis ready to " Play like a Jet"

GREENBEAN

Nothing but Jets

New York Jets news, commentary and insider info from beat writer Kimberley A. Martin.

PrintAa

Bloggers

image.jpgKimberley A. Martin

bio | email

Davis ready to “play like a Jet”

12:14 AM By Kimberley A. Martin

Demario Davis’ Southern drawl resonated through the teleconference phone. The excitement in his voice was palpable.

“All I can say is, I’m ready to play like a Jet,” said the Arkansas St. linebacker who was selected 77th overall in the third round Friday night.

After trading up with Seattle to get wide receiver Stephen Hill, the Jets turned their attention to Davis -- a 6-2, 235-pounder, who they project will compete to play inside linebacker.

He also was rated highly by special teams coordinator Mike Westhoff and is expected to be used in that unit.

“We really feel good about this group,” general manager Mike Tannenbaum said of his first-round pick, Quinton Couples, Hill and Davis.

The GM made it a point to say veteran linebacker Bart Scott will remain on the team this year -- “I just want to clear that up,” Tannenbaum told the media -- but he also added that Davis can help them as well.

“Demario really brings a skillset; he can run, he can hit, he has sacks, very good special teams player,” the GM said.

The Jets front office also praised Davis’ ability to drop back in coverage and defend tight ends. And the linebacker, who said he covered tight ends and wide receivers, and played on special teams, a lot at Arkansas St., is anxious to prove he can make the jump to the NFL.

“Whenenver they want me to contribute, i’ll be ready,” he said.

Davis -- a native of Brandon, Miss., a town of less than 20,000 - said he wasn’t sure the Jets would pick him in the third round.

“I was just waiting on the phone call,” he said. “Whichever round they called me I was going to be ready to do what I had to do.”

For those of you wondering where Brandon, Miss. is, Davis laughed and said “That’s the bottom of the map.”

“It’s the deep south,” he said. “Nothing but good hospitality and good eating. Ya’ll can come on down and visit.”

He is a light 235er

How so?

Steelers took a 230 pounder...

Davis might be my favorite pick if I didn't think Coples will be a badass in this D. I didn't even think Coples would make it to 16...We were in the perfect spot for Davis, because I think the teams who drafted in the 20's in the first would jump all over him at the back half of the 3rd.

Not to make another MMA reference but think of it this way. When fighters weight in, they weight the same but one is clearly bigger usually. Rashad Evans vs Jon Jones for example....Jon is huge, granted those guys are cutting weight to make weight. My point is just that even though two guys weight the same some carry it differently. To me this guys looks like a smaller 230....I like the pick btw.

Not to make another MMA reference but think of it this way. When fighters weight in, they weight the same but one is clearly bigger usually. Rashad Evans vs Jon Jones for example....Jon is huge, granted those guys are cutting weight to make weight. My point is just that even though two guys weight the same some carry it differently. To me this guys looks like a smaller 230....I like the pick btw.

Rashad is a smaller guy. Bones has a larger frame to carry the weight. Scott and Davis are the same height, so I don't think this is a good example.

Great pick, kid will start by week 4 opposite Harris. Scott is terrible now, and Davis' speed at 4.6 is very intriguing!

And it's not just straight line "workout-wonder" speed -- this kid has fantastic closing speed on the field and packs a wallop.

When they first made the pick, I was concerned that he was too small. But looking at the Jets roster, Bart Scott is listed at 6'2" 242. I'm not concerned about that anymore.

At firs I was like huh, that ain't no RT or S but I get what they're doing....BPA in their eyes is fine with me.

Archived