John Conner's spot in doubt?!

stoicsentry

The full excerpt sheds a little more light on the topic:

* Fullback John Conner’s spot on the Week 1 roster remains in doubt.

“We still think John will be here... He’s on the team for now, obviously,” Tannenbaum said.

“In terms of who will make it and the competition, we’ll see how that sorts itself out.”

Tannenbaum praised H-Back Conner’s versatility and mentioned Tim Tebow as well when discussing whether Conner will fit into Tony Sparano’s offense. Shonn Greene and fifth-round pick Terrance Ganaway are labeled as “A” backs. Bilal Powell and Joe McKnight are “B” backs.

“But clearly there’s a role for a traditional fullback (in Sparano’s offense),” Ryan said.

Sparano had Ricky Williams and Ronnie Brown on the field at the same time quite a bit, and that's probably the "A" and "B" groupings listed here. Hadn't thought about that before -being that the Jets backs really aren't Williams and Brown- but it's actually kinda intriguing. Obviously Rex wants his hand-picked FB, so that helps him, but Conner may have to compete for one of those A or B jobs or get Mike Westoff's blessing to stick.

It's all bout production and impact. They love him in theory, as do a lot of us, myself included. The problem comes in when there simply isn't enough production to validate the player being on the roster. I am torn and look forward to seeing how it plays out. If the othe backs beat him out for his spot then at so be it. He didn't exactly lay the wood last season IMO which is what he was brought here to do.

Sparano's offense once sported the league's most highly regarded FB, Polite. So there is a role for Connor. Also Connor improved quite a bit from the year before. So I agree there is more smoke here than fire. Powell looked awful to me last year in his limited reps.

There's a reason McKnight doesn't get on the field ever. I'd find it hard to believe he'd stay and Conner would go. Doesn't make a lot of sense.

McKnight had 56 touches on offense behind LT -who's no longer here- and led the team in KOR with a 31.6 yard average. He got on the field once in a while, and figures to get there a lot more this year.

I was hoping they'd draft a speed/receiving back to compete with him, but instead they drafted another Greene. Now maybe they have McKnight and Powell grouped together to give Bilal a chance to beat him out for a roster spot, but McKnight and Conner aren't in direct competition.

The grouping also suggests that Ganaway will make the team. He could be groomed to take over for Greene, who's in the last year of his rookie deal.

There's a reason McKnight doesn't get on the field ever. I'd find it hard to believe he'd stay and Conner would go. Doesn't make a lot of sense.

I think this is the kind of thing that gets out in an attempt to raise McKnight or Powells "trade value." Tanny has done it before I feel like?

So you know...maybe we'll get a bag of real peanuts instead of circus peanuts for either one.

McKnight had 56 touches on offense behind LT -who's no longer here- and led the team in KOR with a 31.6 yard average. He got on the field once in a while, and figures to get there a lot more this year.

I was hoping they'd draft a speed/receiving back to compete with him, but instead they drafted another Greene. Now maybe they have McKnight and Powell grouped together to give Bilal a chance to beat him out for a roster spot, but McKnight and Conner aren't in direct competition.

The grouping also suggests that Ganaway will make the team. He could be groomed to take over for Greene, who's in the last year of his rookie deal.

It's just that no other back on the roster does what Conner does, but there are people in place that do what McKnight does. Hell, despite his gaudy kick return average, Westhoff threw Cro out there in any spot that they needed a clutch return. Regardless, I think Sparano will sort the back situation out pretty quickly. McKnight's allegedly semi-retarded and he's going to have to learn a new offense on the fly after not learning Schottenheimer's offense in three years. If Powell shows anything, and Conner survives as the blocking FB, McKnight's fate will rest with Westhoff, IMO.

I think this is the kind of thing that gets out in an attempt to raise McKnight or Powells "trade value." Tanny has done it before I feel like?

So you know...maybe we'll get a bag of real peanuts instead of circus peanuts for either one.

Marshmallow circus peanuts are good, but only if you eat four or less at one time. Any more than that and you've effectively poisoned yourself.

jets douche writers always have to go out day after the draft and try to stir up crap about who should feel disrespected by the draft pick

anybody see if bradshaw is getting questions about david wilson ?

lol

It's just that no other back on the roster does what Conner does, but there are people in place that do what McKnight does. Hell, despite his gaudy kick return average, Westhoff threw Cro out there in any spot that they needed a clutch return. Regardless, I think Sparano will sort the back situation out pretty quickly. McKnight's allegedly semi-retarded and he's going to have to learn a new offense on the fly after not learning Schottenheimer's offense in three years. If Powell shows anything, and Conner survives as the blocking FB, McKnight's fate will rest with Westhoff, IMO.

I think the whole position is up in the air beyond the "A" group. Everyone else has to prove they deserve to be on the roster. Powell has the steepest climb, having produced nothing last year, and with McKnight (despite your assertions) somewhat entrenched. Conner has a defined role that needs to find a fit in Sparano's offense.

Powell has a lot of upside still, IMHO, but he's going to have to show that this summer. People pile on him a little bit, but he never had a training camp as a pro. I think he's the guy under the most pressure.

No reason all five backs can't stick. The Tebow thing complicates it a little, too, taking away some of those RB carries. Should be interesting to see how it shakes out.

jets douche writers always have to go out day after the draft and try to stir up crap about who should feel disrespected by the draft pick

anybody see if bradshaw is getting questions about david wilson ?

lol

Lol and +1

That is pretty gd funny.

Also agreed with Slats on Powell...there's upside there...I think Sporano's offense will may directly help the young OL and RB talent the Yets have so I'm fairly confident they'll piece something together.

Can you even run the ground and pound without a fullback or a tight end?

I have no idea. I don't think anyone would know considering it's not a real thing. All I know is that last year we couldn't run whatever it is with a fullback and a tight end, and a good returner/scatback is infinitely more valuable than a average ******* fullback. He's nowhere near Polite's level so I'm sure Sparano could care less.

The full excerpt sheds a little more light on the topic:

Sparano had Ricky Williams and Ronnie Brown on the field at the same time quite a bit, and that's probably the "A" and "B" groupings listed here. Hadn't thought about that before -being that the Jets backs really aren't Williams and Brown- but it's actually kinda intriguing. Obviously Rex wants his hand-picked FB, so that helps him, but Conner may have to compete for one of those A or B jobs or get Mike Westoff's blessing to stick.

They might want to change those categories to B and C.

Not sure the Jets have any A's. Just saying...

This is why you don't spend a 5 on a fullback.

Meh. I don't have a problem with it. His play on special teams has probably been worth the 5 on its own. The fact that we're considering cutting him 3 years later shouldn't be considered a big deal. Teams cut former 5's all the time.

Meh. I don't have a problem with it. His play on special teams has probably been worth the 5 on its own. The fact that we're considering cutting him 3 years later shouldn't be considered a big deal. Teams cut former 5's all the time.

The problem isn't what you're getting from the fullback you drafted in the 5th. It's what you're not getting from the OT you didn't draft in the 5th because you drafted a ******* fullback instead.

the obvious threat to Conner's spot would be Ganaway. Could they convert him to FB?

I see Ganaway as more of a threat to Greene's prospects beyond this year. Greene's been in steady decline since that glorious playoff game against SD. He got hurt against Indy the following week and just hasn't been the same.

It's why I understand this anti-RB trend. They just don't last. I think Cleveland made a poor investment in Richardson.

I can see the Jets going true RBBC next season with McKnight, Powell and Ganaway splitting carries.

Archived