Spoke to a knowledgable UNC fan about Coples....

Jetsfan80

And he had this to say:

Don't pay attention to the media, he's going to be really good. And he's a team player. He played out of position as a junior because his team needed him too and was still First Team All-ACC at DT. He was first team All-ACC this past year at DE also. Lots of players lost focus once Butch Davis was fired a week before training camp last year, Coples was just honest about that.

That's true but this guy is a little more level-headed and actually WORKS in sports (he's worked for both the Bobcats and Tarheels), so he's a little more removed and objective about these types of things. I'll trust people closer to the situation than the national media on things like this.

keep in mind, Coples had more sacks in college than every draft eligible player in the country (besides Vinny Curry).

so we can talk about motor and we can talk about consistency but he actually has better production than every DE/OLB except Curry.

keep in mind, Coples had more sacks in college than every draft eligible player in the country (besides Vinny Curry).

so we can talk about motor and we can talk about consistency but he actually has better production than every DE/OLB except Curry.

But Chandler Jones was taken 5 spots later, he had horrible college production in the Big East and that picks was AWESOME. Pats are so awesome.

Pauline said the coaches absolutely ripped him to NFL people...saying he only cared about his future paychecks (the horror)...didn't give a crap...etc.

More a reflection on them than him considering he's not the institute getting investigated for being shady BUT he is he one who did everything they asked him to (play inside, move back outside).

That's true but this guy is a little more level-headed and actually WORKS in sports (he's worked for both the Bobcats and Tarheels), so he's a little more removed and objective about these types of things. I'll trust people closer to the situation than the national media on things like this.

Eh. I think Mayock puts his work in, but I agree that 90% of draft analysts really just google each other and that's how rumors become fact through repetition. But, Mayock and Kiper killed Coples on character issues. I don't think it comes from nowhere.

But Chandler Jones was taken 5 spots later, he had horrible college production in the Big East and that picks was AWESOME. Pats are so awesome.

if the Jets had taken Chandler Jones I would have been sad. That's such a marginal pick. Belly's first pick was bloodlines his second pick was Saban. the 2nd was way better than the 1st, JMO. time will tell.

Pauline said the coaches absolutely ripped him to NFL people...saying he only cared about his future paychecks (the horror)...didn't give a crap...etc.

More a reflection on them than him considering he's not the institute getting investigated for being shady BUT he is he one who did everything they asked him to (play inside, move back outside).

also he played 4 years if he didn't give a crap why did he stay?

btw Gato i hope you read this - you spent all spring crowing for a top 7 pick that's pretty damn good. Respect to you my man.

Eh. I think Mayock puts his work in, but I agree that 90% of draft analysts really just google each other and that's how rumors become fact through repetition.

Mayock is excellent on TV and he's also very very good at defensive backs. He nailed the Stephon Gilmore rise before any1. He's got sources and that's more than half the battle.

as for the googling each other, i try to avoid groupthink but many times people come to the same conclusion on their own.

You forgot Tavon Wilson in the 2nd, what a steal, Belicheck is a genius.

that pick was atrocious, if the Jets took that guy there'd be riots

the Stephen Hill pick could have been the best pick of the draft. he had 1st round value on my board.

if the Jets had taken Chandler Jones I would have been sad. That's such a marginal pick. Belly's first pick was bloodlines his second pick was Saban. the 2nd was way better than the 1st, JMO. time will tell.

I felt the same way, I liked Hightower. I was happy to see jones go to the pats, everyone compares the kid to JPP but Jones isn't half the athlete JPP was coming out of college.

LOL you realize you just inadvertently compared Chandler Jones to Jason Pierre Paul?

You skink. I merely pointed out that just using sack totals to guess how good a draft pick will be is dangeroso. FTR, JPP is a Jevon Kearse-style freak. We''ll go another ten years before anyone comes along another player like JPP.

that pick was atrocious, if the Jets took that guy there'd be riots

the Stephen Hill pick could have been the best pick of the draft. he had 1st round value on my board.

Yea I laughed when I saw it but every analyst got on their knees and bowed down to the almighty Belicheck and didn't talk bad about the pick. Stephen hill was a great pick/ value I thought he'd be long gone by the time we picked in the second, I even raised the question of whether or not hill was worth 16th overall

as for the googling each other, i try to avoid groupthink but many times people come to the same conclusion on their own.

I didn't mean it as a shot toward the draftnik profession. Without complete access (which nobody has), relying on each other's info-gathering is a necessary evil.

You skink. I merely pointed out that just using sack totals to guess how good a draft pick will be is dangeroso. FTR, JPP is a Jevon Kearse-style freak. We''ll go another ten years before anyone comes along another player like JPP.

JPP had 6 1/2 sacks in 7 starts in 1 year and had 16 1/2 TFL. Yeah he was a bad example.

Hightower will be the only Patriot that matters in this draft.

Pats chased hype into a trade-up for Jones. The fact they got an "A" for trading up twice in R1 for a reach, and an ILB (one of he easiest positions to draft later) is a testament to the absurdity of sports journalism.

You can add DT to the list as well.

This thread has a positive impact on me. Maybe Coples is the future.

Whats crazy is that I like our 6th & 7th round picks than our 1st and 2nd round.

Right. Gholston went for 14 sacks, 15.5 TFLs in a premier conference. Who's the better player? Using "production" alone as a predictor bears little.

Ok fair point. But I was only doing that in one post. We can go through measurables too but really, who cares. **** Chandler Jones, Amirite?

Bottom line Jets got Coples at 16 Pats got Jones at 21 while giving up a 3rd. Both are boom/bust picks but Jets got the bigger boom prospect imo. Both hit a home run with their second picks with Hightower and Hill. Both of their 3rd picks were scout/FO like faves but Wilson is a huge reach....advantage Jets. After that you have Bequette and Dennard as potential starters for the Pats and the Jets with Ganaway, Bush and Allen all potential starters...push...but I think Bequette was the best pick of the lot.

Hightower will be the only Patriot that matters in this draft.

Pats chased hype into a trade-up for Jones. The fact they got an "A" for trading up twice in R1 for a reach, and an ILB (one of he easiest positions to draft later) is a testament to the absurdity of sports journalism.

Agree with you on Hightower...the kid is legit...wanted him on the Jets...but oh well.

On Jones, not so sure Belicheck followed the media...IMO...more likely Mayock got tipped on Pats interest and he adjusted his Top 100 to reflect...hence the Belicheck effect.

Bottom line Jets got Coples at 16 Pats got Jones at 21 while giving up a 3rd. Both are boom/bust picks but Jets got the bigger boom prospect imo. Both hit a home run with their second picks with Hightower and Hill. Both of their 3rd picks were scout/FO like faves but Wilson is a huge reach....advantage Jets. After that you have Bequette and Dennard as potential starters for the Pats and the Jets with Ganaway, Bush and Allen all potential starters...push...but I think Bequette was the best pick of the lot.

Bequette was a very good pick.

Archived