Coples, Jones, Irvin, Ingram: Which one has the most sacks next year?

T0mShane

Which player has the most sacks next year?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Which player has the most sacks next year?

• Coples (Jets)
    • Bruce Irvin (Seahawks)
    • Chandler Jones (Pats)
    • Melvin Ingram (Chargers)

My guess would probably be Ingram, if nothing but based on pure opportunities. If the reports are true about the Jets plans to use Coples primarily as a DL, his rushing opportunities will be limited both because of the nature of the position and the fact that he's coming into the team's deepest area. Irvin is easily going into the worst situation of the bunch, which are going to limit his numbers to an extent and I just don't think the Pats run the kind of D that is going to see any defender rack up big sack numbers. The Chargers on the other hand are likely going to give Ingram a whole lot of rushing opportunities and even if he doesn't prove to be a great rusher, should have some half decent numbers based on his chances alone.

My guess would probably be Ingram, if nothing but based on pure opportunities. If the reports are true about the Jets plans to use Coples primarily as a DL, his rushing opportunities will be limited both because of the nature of the position and the fact that he's coming into the team's deepest area. Irvin is easily going into the worst situation of the bunch, which are going to limit his numbers to an extent and I just don't think the Pats run the kind of D that is going to see any defender rack up big sack numbers. The Chargers on the other hand are likely going to give Ingram a whole lot of rushing opportunities and even if he doesn't prove to be a great rusher, should have some half decent numbers based on his chances alone.

I looked at this way too but I disagree with you.

The Patriots had 2 players that had double digit sacks last season. The way they score, opposing offenses have to throw a lot more giving their pass rushers more opportunities to accumulate sack numbers. That said, Jones is a HUGE project and I dont see him being an impact player year 1 though there is a void with Anderson leaving for Buffalo he'll probably have the most opportunity. He'll get 4-5 sacks.

Ingram will be a bust so I'm obviously not picking him. He's gets 1-2 sacks.

While I love the Coples pick, I dont see him having a huge sack season in his rookie campaign. For multiple reasons. First off, the Jets have a lot of depth on the DL and decent depth at OLB with Pace, Maybin and Thomas. The Jets have the luxury of bringing him a long a bit. Plus, they are going to play a ball control offense which will hopefully lead to the defense not being on the field so much . That said, I dont see him registering double digits year 1 even though I see him as a career 8-12 sacks a season type player. He'll get around 5-6 sacks.

I voted Irvin. They dont have any pass rushers in Seattle. Their leading sack master over the past 2 seasons was a journey man in Chris Clemons. Irvin is going to have ample opportunity playing in a soft conference on a good defense/bad offense to get a solid number of sacks. He'll lead the pack with 9-10.

Basically agree with BG, but JiF makes excellent points.

IMO it is difficult to base Coples success strictly on his sack #'s. He is a 3-4 DE, not a 3-4 OLB. Rex has given a hint several times as to what Coples role will be. "He is going to make QB's step back".

Maybin is going to have a break out season. We saw many times last season Maybin fly by QB's just a yard wide. 6 times he was fast enough to come back and still get the sack. One of Coples main jobs is to make QB's step back 1 or two yards, right into Maybin's out side speed rush.

My prediction is at the end of next year every one is going to be talking about what a tremendous steal Maybin was with his 12-14 sacks, and how Coples is a bit disappointing only having 6-8 sacks.

A lot of Maybin's sacks will really be in Couples bag

The real question is, do expect anyone on the worst roster in the league to have a good season for the Jets? ;-)

I never said we have the worst roster in the league. We have a sh*tty roster though.

Coples does nothing on the tape that I've seen. He looks like an absolute bum.

I never said we have the worst roster in the league. We have a sh*tty roster though.

Coples does nothing on the tape that I've seen. He looks like an absolute bum.

I'm sure you've watched extensive tape on him and I'm positive you have a better eye than Rex Ryan. So now I'm legitimately concerned.

This team is ****ed. What do you think 2-14? 3-13?

I'm sure you've watched extensive tape on him and I'm positive you have a better eye than Rex Ryan. So now I'm legitimately concerned.

This team is ****ed. What do you think 2-14? 3-13?

Its probably actually closer to that than you think. Considering we dont have a QB, our best player is going to hold out, our offensive line is bad....other than that, yeah we look fantastic.

The offensive line is an absolute disaster.

Its probably actually closer to that than you think. Considering we dont have a QB, our best player is going to hold out, our offensive line is bad....other than that, yeah we look fantastic.

Hunter blows. Besides that I think the line is in good shape. I am puzzled about not bringing in a free agent to possibly replace him

Agreed. I'm thinking closer to 4-12 because the Jets sucks. Team is horrible. Havent improved at all. And they've consistently been sh*tty under Rex Ryan. They really arent even a competitive team. OL? Horrible. Those 3 pro bowlers are pure sh*t. DL sucks. LBers suck. Secondary sucks. Probably one of the worst D's in the league. We dont have a single WR, RB or TE. This team is spiraling out of control. Never mind the fact they've only had 3 losing seasons in the last 15 years and Rex with Sanchez have yet to have a losing season. Means nothing. 3 years, 2 playoff births...that dont matter. Since then, they've lost Brad Smith, Braylon Edwards, LT, Woody, Westerman, Pool, and Ellis. All completely irreplaceable parts.

We're ****ed. Welcome to last place Jets fans. Dophags found their franchise QB. Buffalo is stacked. And the Patriots just had the greatest draft...ever. Meanwhile, the Jets didnt pick a single player who make their roster.

DOOM!!!

Agreed. I'm thinking closer to 4-12 because the Jets sucks. Team is horrible. Havent improved at all. And they've consistently been sh*tty under Rex Ryan. They really arent even a competitive team. OL? Horrible. Those 3 pro bowlers are pure sh*t. DL sucks. LBers suck. Secondary sucks. Probably one of the worst D's in the league. We dont have a single WR, RB or TE. This team is spiraling out of control. Never mind the fact they've only had 3 losing seasons in the last 15 years and Rex with Sanchez have yet to have a losing season. Means nothing. 3 years, 2 playoff births...that dont matter. Since then, they've lost Brad Smith, Braylon Edwards, LT, Woody, Westerman, Pool, and Ellis. All completely irreplaceable parts.

We're ****ed. Welcome to last place Jets fans. Dophags found their franchise QB. Buffalo is stacked. And the Patriots just had the greatest draft...ever. Meanwhile, the Jets didnt pick a single player who make their roster.

DOOM!!!

That's fine. You're a lot more optimistic than I am. Obviously the defense will keep us in games...just didnt see the reason of taking another 3-4 end when we took one last year especially on a guy that looks stiff and plays high. ...and its actually one of the stronger parts of our roster,

Ultimately its going to come down to Sanchez getting his act together...Moore is getting older, we still dont have a right tackle, Slauson is ok. Woody was the main component of the ground and pound we say we need to get back to...and we're sure as hell not running over Hunter's a$...and somehow Tannenbaum cant even spot running back talent, considering we just took about our 5th one in 3 years.

Sacks are an over-rated statistic when isolated and out of context.

I'd rather predict who has more sacks, QB hurries, knockdowns, pass deflections, tackles for loss over their careers --- in this case, I think it's Coples.

That's fine. You're a lot more optimistic than I am. Obviously the defense will keep us in games...just didnt see the reason of taking another 3-4 end when we took one last year especially on a guy that looks stiff and plays high. ...and its actually one of the stronger parts of our roster,

Ultimately its going to come down to Sanchez getting his act together...Moore is getting older, we still dont have a right tackle, Slauson is ok. Woody was the main component of the ground and pound we say we need to get back to...and we're sure as hell not running over Hunter's a$...and somehow Tannenbaum cant even spot running back talent, considering we just took about our 5th one in 3 years.

based on current roster, jets fight off phins for 3rd place

Jones and Ingram will get most chances... have high scoring offense, other teams will be forced to pass more

Coples - Jets seem to be planning to sit on ball and limit opportunities, plus as a 3-4 hands in the dirt end, limited opportunities

Irvin - Dunno know why, just think he's going to flash immediately

Irvin, Ingram, Jones, Coples, imo...

DOOM!!!

The QBs are terrible and there's no reason to think the running game is magically going to reappear. The defense will be awesome, but I don't see how we're significantly better than last season.

Who really cares?

The more significant question is who will be the better player?

Don't get why people get all tied up in selective stats. It's like falling in love with a .215 hitter who hits 30 HRs.

If Couples is playing the run well, helping the D dominate that way and has a couple fewer sacks than one of the others, or a player who can't play the run so is on the field part time, whats the significance? Other than those who don't get it will tell everyone that we took the wrong guy?

Think it's irvin. He's got a well-developed array of pass-rushing moves and is lightning quick. To me, he's pretty much a better version of maybin. The reason he is probably overdrafted is because he's a liability against the run, which to a non-seahawks fan won't really notice.

Irvin is tiny at 245 lbs, and he will be playing DE for the Hawks. He will likely need a few years to bulk up before he has a chance to really tally sacks.

Other sack leading DEs and their playing weight for comparison:

Lightweights

Mathis 245

Umenyiora 255

Middleweights

Freeny 268

Babin 267

Abe 263

Allen 270

Tuck 268

Cole 270

Heavyweights

Pierre-Paul 278

M. Williams 283

Peppers 287

Clearly, Irvin is at the lower end of the spectrum. Combined with his pedestrian 23 reps on the bench press would lead you to believe that he needs to get stronger too. No way he has more sacks than these other guys.

My vote went to Ingram. It's simple, more opportunities.

Here's my concern - The Jets haven't had a front 4 that can create pass rush havoc against a QB since the Sack Exchange. Even a few years back, our pressure came via blitzes galore. We need to tweak something, somewhere. Coples will help, but I'm not sold on the actual application itself.

Everyone who points out that Coples plays a 3-4 DE, giving him fewer chances by default.

The high flying offenses of SD and NE will certainly lead those teams to get many more chances, and those players will be the guys rushing.

Rep went out to everyone before this post who recognized that my good friend Tom Shane was putting up a troll poll. :)

Wy not compare how many plays each guy is on the field? Coples will be a legitimate starter, and a three down guy. He'll often draw double teams, freeing up a guy like Maybin to make the play. This is a player brought in to improve the overall team defense. To allow them to get some pass rush from their base. There will be many designated pass rushers who get more sacks, and then do virtually nothing else.

Sacks are an over-rated statistic when isolated and out of context.

I'd rather predict who has more sacks, QB hurries, knockdowns, pass deflections, tackles for loss over their careers --- in this case, I think it's Coples.

Yes.

Anyway in pure sacks...

Coples - Pure homer. I could easily see Irvin taking this since it's the best part of his game.

Irvin

Jones

Ingram

Everyone who points out that Coples plays a 3-4 DE, giving him fewer chances by default.

The high flying offenses of SD and NE will certainly lead those teams to get many more chances, and those players will be the guys rushing.

Rep went out to everyone before this post who recognized that my good friend Tom Shane was putting up a troll poll. :)

Wy not compare how many plays each guy is on the field? Coples will be a legitimate starter, and a three down guy. He'll often draw double teams, freeing up a guy like Maybin to make the play. This is a player brought in to improve the overall team defense. To allow them to get some pass rush from their base. There will be many designated pass rushers who get more sacks, and then do virtually nothing else.

If jets were 100% sold on Coples why didnt they run up to the podium and announce his name, jets were trying to trade down by all accounts

If jets were 100% sold on Coples why didnt they run up to the podium and announce his name, jets were trying to trade down by all accounts

I didn't say they were 100% on him. Clearly, he was the top guy on their board, though, because they took him.

I think they liked a few guys there, and we're hoping to move down a couple spots, get a guy they wanted AND an extra pick or two in the middle rounds. I think they would've done that if Irvin was on the board, too. Just don't see the conspiracy over working the phones there.

I didn't say they were 100% on him. Clearly, he was the top guy on their board, though, because they took him.

I think they liked a few guys there, and we're hoping to move down a couple spots, get a guy they wanted AND an extra pick or two in the middle rounds. I think they would've done that if Irvin was on the board, too. Just don't see the conspiracy over working the phones there.

I think the safe pick for Jets was Decastro, will be an ALL-PRo for years, a younger tougher Alan faneca. If coples/hill dont contribute this year, both rex and tanny will be looking for work

Archived