“Play Like A Jet”

Maxman

Post image for “Play Like A Jet”

Upon hearing he was drafted in the 3rd round by the New York Jets, Demario Davis was quoted as saying “All I can say is, I am ready to play like a Jet”.  So it got me to wondering what exactly that phrase means.  It’s become a bit of a running joke in my family.  As one of my kids heads out for a soccer or lacrosse match, I will often tell or text them to “Play like a Jet”.  I am pretty sure I know what Rex thinks it means.  When Ryan was introduced to the media as the New York Jets new head football coach, he made one statement that immediately convinced me things could finally be different for Jets fans.  He said “We want to be known as the most physical football team in the NFL, the players will have each other’s backs, and if you take a swipe at one of ours, we’ll take a swipe at two of yours”.  I have to be honest, that made my hair stand up, because I had not heard that level of bravado in many years.  And it is partly why I live with the Super Bowl predictions and everything else.

Now that we know what it means, upon further examination, have the Jets and Ryan lived up to those expectations?  Certainly the defense has improved statistically, but I think it’s fair to say they have come up very short on the type of football Ryan wants from his team.  In fact, The Ryan coached Jets biggest problem may be their inability to compete against the more physical teams in the NFL.    The Jets have lost their last two contests to the Baltimore Ravens, and maybe looking scared is too strong, but they certainly were not ready to compete physically in either game.  The second game against the Miami Dolphins in 2010, the Tony Sparano coached team pounded their wildcat running game down the Jets gullet.  In January 2011 the Pittsburgh Steelers took the opening possession, ran 15 plays for 92 yards, and used 9:06 of the clock.  36 of those yards were pounded off tackle by running back Rashard Mendenhall.  The Steelers defense dominated the Jet’s offense in the first half, setting the tone for the rest of the game.  Clearly Ryan still has some work to do.

Whenever an article that points out the shortcomings of a team or coach is published, most writers secretly hope the piece ends up on the desk of whom it’s critiquing.  In my case, my hope is motivated by two things, vanity and winning.  I think I have all the answers and I want a Super Bowl more than anything.  Except in this case, as I thought about this “Play like a Jet” motto, I truly believe a reminder of how Ryan predicted the Jets organization would be perceived is the exact culture that could turn this franchise back in the right direction after a disappointing 2010-2011 campaign.

With the draft behind us and free agency slowing down, it is time to focus on what the 2012 New York Jets will look like.  Will they continue down the path of sketchy focus, untimely penalties, broken leadership, inconsistent execution, and poor tackling?  Or will they take the phrase “Play like a Jet” seriously and become a hard-nosed, physical football team that puts the NFL on notice; The New York Jets are committed to excellence.  The 2012 Jets will undoubtedly have some new faces that will have to contribute to make them a great football team.  From day one the coaches and veterans must lead by example for LaRon Landry, Quinton Coples, Stephen Hill, Demario Davis and all the new Jets.  From the opening kickoff until that final whistle, The New York Jets are going to hit you again and again.  Running backs should lose heart when facing our defense, receivers should hear footsteps as every passed ball approaches, special teams returners should worry more about holding on to the ball than changing the game with a big return.

Rex Ryan came to New York and his first order of business was to give his new football team an identity.   As far as I am concerned, he can continue to predict Super Bowls and be bold and brash with the media every chance he gets.  As long as he keeps his promise to make this team “the most physical in the NFL. If he does that, “Play like a Jet” can mean something special or it can be a joke a father repeats to his kids as they run out the door.  Which will it be Rex?

Tell us what you think it means to Play Like a Jet in our NY Jets message board.

di
di

MxTZjueDwjU

View the full article

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

“Play Like a Jet”

by Rick Allen on May 1, 2012[edit]

in Featured Editorials

rexryan_t.jpg

Upon hearing he was drafted in the 3rd round by the New York Jets, Demario Davis was quoted as saying “All I can say is, I am ready to play like a Jet”. So it got me to wondering what exactly that phrase means. It’s become a bit of a running joke in my family. As one of my kids heads out for a soccer or lacrosse match, I will often tell or text them to “Play like a Jet”. I am pretty sure I know what Rex thinks it means. When Ryan was introduced to the media as the New York Jets new head football coach, he made one statement that immediately convinced me things could finally be different for Jets fans. He said “We want to be known as the most physical football team in the NFL, the players will have each other’s backs, and if you take a swipe at one of ours, we’ll take a swipe at two of yours”. I have to be honest, that made my hair stand up, because I had not heard that level of bravado in many years. And it is partly why I live with the Super Bowl predictions and everything else.

Now that we know what it means, upon further examination, have the Jets and Ryan lived up to those expectations? Certainly the defense has improved statistically, but I think it’s fair to say they have come up very short on the type of football Ryan wants from his team. In fact, The Ryan coached Jets biggest problem may be their inability to compete against the more physical teams in the NFL. The Jets have lost their last two contests to the Baltimore Ravens, and maybe looking scared is too strong, but they certainly were not ready to compete physically in either game. The second game against the Miami Dolphins in 2010, the Tony Sparano coached team pounded their wildcat running game down the Jets gullet. In January 2011 the Pittsburgh Steelers took the opening possession, ran 15 plays for 92 yards, and used 9:06 of the clock. 36 of those yards were pounded off tackle by running back Rashard Mendenhall. The Steelers defense dominated the Jet’s offense in the first half, setting the tone for the rest of the game. Clearly Ryan still has some work to do.

Whenever an article that points out the shortcomings of a team or coach is published, most writers secretly hope the piece ends up on the desk of whom it’s critiquing. In my case, my hope is motivated by two things, vanity and winning. I think I have all the answers and I want a Super Bowl more than anything. Except in this case, as I thought about this “Play like a Jet” motto, I truly believe a reminder of how Ryan predicted the Jets organization would be perceived is the exact culture that could turn this franchise back in the right direction after a disappointing 2010-2011 campaign.

With the draft behind us and free agency slowing down, it is time to focus on what the 2012 New York Jets will look like. Will they continue down the path of sketchy focus, untimely penalties, broken leadership, inconsistent execution, and poor tackling? Or will they take the phrase “Play like a Jet” seriously and become a hard-nosed, physical football team that puts the NFL on notice; The New York Jets are committed to excellence. The 2012 Jets will undoubtedly have some new faces that will have to contribute to make them a great football team. From day one the coaches and veterans must lead by example for LaRon Landry, Quinton Coples, Stephen Hill, Demario Davis and all the new Jets. From the opening kickoff until that final whistle, The New York Jets are going to hit you again and again. Running backs should lose heart when facing our defense, receivers should hear footsteps as every passed ball approaches, special teams returners should worry more about holding on to the ball than changing the game with a big return.

Rex Ryan came to New York and his first order of business was to give his new football team an identity. As far as I am concerned, he can continue to predict Super Bowls and be bold and brash with the media every chance he gets. As long as he keeps his promise to make this team “the most physical in the NFL. If he does that, “Play like a Jet” can mean something special or it can be a joke a father repeats to his kids as they run out the door. Which will it be Rex?

“Play Like a Jet”

by Rick Allen on May 1, 2012[edit]

in Featured Editorials

rexryan_t.jpg

Upon hearing he was drafted in the 3rd round by the New York Jets, Demario Davis was quoted as saying “All I can say is, I am ready to play like a Jet”. So it got me to wondering what exactly that phrase means. It’s become a bit of a running joke in my family. As one of my kids heads out for a soccer or lacrosse match, I will often tell or text them to “Play like a Jet”. I am pretty sure I know what Rex thinks it means. When Ryan was introduced to the media as the New York Jets new head football coach, he made one statement that immediately convinced me things could finally be different for Jets fans. He said “We want to be known as the most physical football team in the NFL, the players will have each other’s backs, and if you take a swipe at one of ours, we’ll take a swipe at two of yours”. I have to be honest, that made my hair stand up, because I had not heard that level of bravado in many years. And it is partly why I live with the Super Bowl predictions and everything else.

Now that we know what it means, upon further examination, have the Jets and Ryan lived up to those expectations? Certainly the defense has improved statistically, but I think it’s fair to say they have come up very short on the type of football Ryan wants from his team. In fact, The Ryan coached Jets biggest problem may be their inability to compete against the more physical teams in the NFL. The Jets have lost their last two contests to the Baltimore Ravens, and maybe looking scared is too strong, but they certainly were not ready to compete physically in either game. The second game against the Miami Dolphins in 2010, the Tony Sparano coached team pounded their wildcat running game down the Jets gullet. In January 2011 the Pittsburgh Steelers took the opening possession, ran 15 plays for 92 yards, and used 9:06 of the clock. 36 of those yards were pounded off tackle by running back Rashard Mendenhall. The Steelers defense dominated the Jet’s offense in the first half, setting the tone for the rest of the game. Clearly Ryan still has some work to do.

Whenever an article that points out the shortcomings of a team or coach is published, most writers secretly hope the piece ends up on the desk of whom it’s critiquing. In my case, my hope is motivated by two things, vanity and winning. I think I have all the answers and I want a Super Bowl more than anything. Except in this case, as I thought about this “Play like a Jet” motto, I truly believe a reminder of how Ryan predicted the Jets organization would be perceived is the exact culture that could turn this franchise back in the right direction after a disappointing 2010-2011 campaign.

With the draft behind us and free agency slowing down, it is time to focus on what the 2012 New York Jets will look like. Will they continue down the path of sketchy focus, untimely penalties, broken leadership, inconsistent execution, and poor tackling? Or will they take the phrase “Play like a Jet” seriously and become a hard-nosed, physical football team that puts the NFL on notice; The New York Jets are committed to excellence. The 2012 Jets will undoubtedly have some new faces that will have to contribute to make them a great football team. From day one the coaches and veterans must lead by example for LaRon Landry, Quinton Coples, Stephen Hill, Demario Davis and all the new Jets. From the opening kickoff until that final whistle, The New York Jets are going to hit you again and again. Running backs should lose heart when facing our defense, receivers should hear footsteps as every passed ball approaches, special teams returners should worry more about holding on to the ball than changing the game with a big return.

Rex Ryan came to New York and his first order of business was to give his new football team an identity. As far as I am concerned, he can continue to predict Super Bowls and be bold and brash with the media every chance he gets. As long as he keeps his promise to make this team “the most physical in the NFL. If he does that, “Play like a Jet” can mean something special or it can be a joke a father repeats to his kids as they run out the door. Which will it be Rex?

So your premise is, because the Jets have lost to physical teams, they are not a physical team?

In 3 years under Rex Ryan, the Jets have had a top 3 defense each year. 2 of those years, they were a top 3 running team in the league. But thats not a physical brand of Football?

Okey dokey...

i don't get the criticism at all. they were a top 5 defense last year. and neither the special teams nor the offense could take care of the football. Considering how many short fields and 3 and outs there were, the defense was great.

So your premise is, because the Jets have lost to physical teams, they are not a physical team?

In 3 years under Rex Ryan, the Jets have had a top 3 defense each year. 2 of those years, they were a top 3 running team in the league. But thats not a physical brand of Football?

Okey dokey...

Yeah the OL fell apart last year (mostly due to injury and lack of depth), Sanchez still wasn't ready and the D couldnt stop a 3rd down conversion over the middle. None reAlly had to do with lack of being physical.

If he is going to point out how terrible the first half was against Pittsburgh 2 years ago, he should also point out how our defense shut them out in the second half with repeated big stops to give the team a chance at a comeback.

Its just a doodoo article, all around. Seriously a big old pile of dung. Ofcourse the Jets are going to lose to some physical teams with a gimp at QB. Reality is, outside of Balt. game last year, they were all slug fest type games that were close because the Jets are so physical. The only blow outs the Jets have received have been from finesse teams, ironically.

But to your point that game, Big Ben was 10-19 with 0 TD's and 2 picks in that game. Someone space jam'd their tackling ability in the first half, but they gave the offense every chance they could to get back in that game during the 2nd half.

Just a bad article all around.

Yeah the OL fell apart last year (mostly due to injury and lack of depth), Sanchez still wasn't ready and the D couldnt stop a 3rd down conversion over the middle. None reAlly had to do with lack of being physical.

Last year the OL was bad. But 2 out of 3 years, they arguably the best in the biz. And outside of the cross town rival, few teams have the depth on DL the Jets have. They win most battles in the trenches.

If he is going to point out how terrible the first half was against Pittsburgh 2 years ago, he should also point out how our defense shut them out in the second half with repeated big stops to give the team a chance at a comeback.

I disagree. They needed a 3rd down stop to get the ball back at the end of the game. Instead it was a completed pass for Pittsburgh and a first down. Game over.

Last year the OL was bad. But 2 out of 3 years, they arguably the best in the biz. And outside of the cross town rival, few teams have the depth on DL the Jets have. They win most battles in the trenches.

The Jets looked terrified when the played the Ravens last year. Terrified.

I think the point of the article is that wasn't consistent with Playing Like A Jet.

The Jets looked terrified when the played the Ravens last year. Terrified. I think the point of the article is that wasn't consistent with Playing Like A Jet.

They looked terrified because Mangold was out and they replaced him with a dude who looked like a key grip for Def Leopard.

Flacco completed 32% of his passes that game with no TD's and a pick. The D played like Jets.

The Jets looked terrified when the played the Ravens last year. Terrified.

I think the point of the article is that wasn't consistent with Playing Like A Jet.

They were missing their All Pro Center/best offensive lineman and Moore was clearly banged up. They had a UDFA that had been with the Jets for 1 week starting in his place. The offense spotted them 28 points.

Ray Rice average 2.6 yrds per carry. Joe Flacco was 10 of 31 (32%) and had 0 TD's and 1 INT.

Just not a good example IMO

They looked terrified because Mangold was out and they replaced him with a dude who looked like a key grip for Def Leopard.

Flacco completed 32% of his passes that game with no TD's and a pick. The D played like Jets.

Play like a Jet is a team wide thing. Even if there wasn't an offensive example in this article. Playing like a Jet includes backups and everyone on the roster.

No Sanchez looked terrified. Without Mangold I don't blame him.

Not disagreeing with that btw. I was terrified for him. Memories of that first play when he was clobbered still scares me.

Certainly the defense has improved statistically, but I think it’s fair to say they have come up very short on the type of football Ryan wants from his team. In fact, The Ryan coached Jets biggest problem may be their inability to compete against the more physical teams in the NFL.

I agree with this. Rex demands perfection from the defense. They are a good defense but I really believe the 1st and 3rd round picks this year are an indication that Rex still knows they have some steps to take before coming great.

The offense improving...will go a long way to helping the defense. No doubt. But the fact remains they lost to Pitt on the road in the Championship game. They got smacked around by Baltimore last year.

Play Like A Jet is a team thing, and last year especially the Jets did not do it.

I think there is a thread of truth in the article though citing the Pittsburgh game may have been a mistake. That year "play like a Jet" was in full swing. I think the reason the team came across as less physical and less enthusiastic last year is obvious. We lost some of our best "Jets" players. Cotchery catching a crucial third down pass while hopping on one leg due to a pulled groin was playing like a Jet. Santonio quitting and pouting and argueing in the huddle on national television was not. Braylon doing a backflip after beating the Pats was playing like a Jet. Mason mailing it in and blaming Schotty publicly was not. Brad Smith taking over the Cincinatti game and beating them single-handedly was playing like a Jet. Plaxico only showing up inside the 20 was not. Sanchez last minute heroics against the Texans was playing like a Jet. Sanchez sitting on the bench at the end of the season with his chin on his chest was not. I think its time we found a balance between the Mangini-type players and the Rex-type players. A better mix of leaders and Mercenaries. The fractured locker room had a lot to do with players not taking each others backs and giving less that maximum effort. Guys like Woody and Richardson were sorely missed. Overall, i think the article is well-written and takes a creative look at the evolution of the team for better or worse.

You people are seriously MISSING THE POINT!! If saying "play like a jet" doesn't really mean go out there and dominate, punish your opponent on O, D and special teams, then why the hell say it to being with??? Why adopt that mantra as head coach if you didnt mean it that way and expect that from your team? It would just be empty words. And why reiterate it so much so that the players also repeat it as if it does mean something?? I think it has more to do with the players leaving their blood and guts out there after every game, giving until they have nothing left in the tank and wanting that vicory more than their opponent does. I expect that from an athlete getting paid a hell of a lot of money and I expect that from my kids when they compete, because if you are not going to play like that, then why bother?? You can sit at home on your fat a$$ and watch tv.....

Pretty laughable article, we're easily one of the most physical teams in the league. If we had a top QB we'd probably be looking at 2 SB's, the physical aspect of the team was what carried it. You can point out particular negative examples for ANY team across the last 3 season. Last season we certainly couldn't be physical on the offensive front, not with Wayne Hunter going full retard.

You people are seriously MISSING THE POINT!! If saying "play like a jet" doesn't really mean go out there and dominate, punish your opponent on O, D and special teams, then why the hell say it to being with??? Why adopt that mantra as head coach if you didnt mean it that way and expect that from your team? It would just be empty words. And why reiterate it so much so that the players also repeat it as if it does mean something?? I think it has more to do with the players leaving their blood and guts out there after every game, giving until they have nothing left in the tank and wanting that vicory more than their opponent does. I expect that from an athlete getting paid a hell of a lot of money and I expect that from my kids when they compete, because if you are not going to play like that, then why bother?? You can sit at home on your fat a$$ and watch tv.....

Awesome post.

Santonio Holmes did not play like a Jet last year as he was pouting on the sidelines. Rick should have probably used some more offensive analogies but I agree with the premise.

Pretty laughable article, we're easily one of the most physical teams in the league. If we had a top QB we'd probably be looking at 2 SB's, the physical aspect of the team was what carried it. You can point out particular negative examples for ANY team across the last 3 season. Last season we certainly couldn't be physical on the offensive front, not with Wayne Hunter going full retard.

So then this year is shot as well, since Wayne Hunter is #1 on the depth chart again?

I think there is a thread of truth in the article though citing the Pittsburgh game may have been a mistake. That year "play like a Jet" was in full swing. I think the reason the team came across as less physical and less enthusiastic last year is obvious. We lost some of our best "Jets" players. Cotchery catching a crucial third down pass while hopping on one leg due to a pulled groin was playing like a Jet. Santonio quitting and pouting and argueing in the huddle on national television was not. Braylon doing a backflip after beating the Pats was playing like a Jet. Mason mailing it in and blaming Schotty publicly was not. Brad Smith taking over the Cincinatti game and beating them single-handedly was playing like a Jet. Plaxico only showing up inside the 20 was not. Sanchez last minute heroics against the Texans was playing like a Jet. Sanchez sitting on the bench at the end of the season with his chin on his chest was not. I think its time we found a balance between the Mangini-type players and the Rex-type players. A better mix of leaders and Mercenaries. The fractured locker room had a lot to do with players not taking each others backs and giving less that maximum effort. Guys like Woody and Richardson were sorely missed. Overall, i think the article is well-written and takes a creative look at the evolution of the team for better or worse.

Really good post.

Overall Rex's players have the right attitude, although last year was a slight detour. I truly believe the Jets are going to win the Super Bowl this year. So a large part of that is Rex getting people playing like Jets again.

Archived