“Play Like A Jet”

Maxman

So then this year is shot as well, since Wayne Hunter is #1 on the depth chart again?

I don't think he will start the season. If he does, that would crush pretty much any sort of optimism I have, and would require Tony Sparano to be an offensive genius, which I am confident he is not.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think he will start the season. If he does, that would crush pretty much any sort of optimism I have, and would require Tony Sparano to be an offensive genius, which I am confident he is not.

I think there is a chance he will start. Not saying I am happy about that but I do think he will beat out Vlad. The only one that may beat him out is Auston Howard but that is unknown because I am not even sure if he is any good at football.

Pretty laughable article, we're easily one of the most physical teams in the league. If we had a top QB we'd probably be looking at 2 SB's, the physical aspect of the team was what carried it. You can point out particular negative examples for ANY team across the last 3 season. Last season we certainly couldn't be physical on the offensive front, not with Wayne Hunter going full retard.

Oops, screwed that one up. Not a laughable editorial at all, you can be physical and still be a pu$$y at the same time (Santonio and Sanchez most notably both quit on the game and the team last year). Think they "played like a jet" in the AFC Chanmpionship game vs Pittsburgh or in either game vs the Pats last year??? Really???

Oops, screwed that one up. Not a laughable editorial at all, you can be physical and still be a pu$$y at the same time (Santonio and Sanchez most notably both quit on the game and the team last year). Think they "played like a jet" in the AFC Chanmpionship game vs Pittsburgh or in either game vs the Pats last year??? Really???

Yes. I am not sure why some people take this to be an offense vs defense thing. Damn you Rick for not putting in an offensive player analogy, lol.

But Play Like A Jet is a team thing.

Holmes may be an example last season of a guy not putting it all out there, but Sanchez? If his biggest problem was his effort we'd be okay.

I think there is a chance he will start. Not saying I am happy about that but I do think he will beat out Vlad. The only one that may beat him out is Auston Howard but that is unknown because I am not even sure if he is any good at football.

It would be ridiculous to start him, like I said in another thread if you're gonna go with garbage you may as well go with the unknown garbage that has upside. I really do believe we'll sign someone if we have to, anything to ensure Hunter isn't starting. It would be crazy.

You people are seriously MISSING THE POINT!! If saying "play like a jet" doesn't really mean go out there and dominate, punish your opponent on O, D and special teams, then why the hell say it to being with??? Why adopt that mantra as head coach if you didnt mean it that way and expect that from your team? It would just be empty words. And why reiterate it so much so that the players also repeat it as if it does mean something?? I think it has more to do with the players leaving their blood and guts out there after every game, giving until they have nothing left in the tank and wanting that vicory more than their opponent does. I expect that from an athlete getting paid a hell of a lot of money and I expect that from my kids when they compete, because if you are not going to play like that, then why bother?? You can sit at home on your fat a$$ and watch tv.....

Which leads to the question of why can't I find, Play Like a Jet, in the dictionary!!?

As I have come to see time and time again with some of my kids' sports teams, heart and guts can at times overcome a better coached or better skilled team. The mindset of that team needs to get back to that play like a jet mentality and the physical body will follow.

Yes. I am not sure why some people take this to be an offense vs defense thing. Damn you Rick for not putting in an offensive player analogy, lol.

But Play Like A Jet is a team thing.

Play Like a Jet is just an...effin mantra...an aspiration. Not like all 53 guys (millionaires) are gonna buy into it hook line and sinker. The article suuuu, stunk.

Play Like a Jet is just an...effin mantra...an aspiration. Not like all 53 guys (millionaires) are gonna buy into it hook line and sinker. The article suuuu, stunk.

That's exactly right, it is a mantra, an aspiration. And why not? You can't predict superbowl wins without some kind of team mantra. Rex needs to let his team know in no uncertain terms THAT is the expectation of how they are to play each and every down. If you're not going to play like that, then take up flower arranging or ballet class. Why not lay down that gauntlet and challenge your team every day, every play, to perform like that?

That's exactly right, it is a mantra, an aspiration. And why not? You can't predict superbowl wins without some kind of team mantra. Rex needs to let his team know in no uncertain terms THAT is the expectation of how they are to play each and every down. If you're not going to play like that, then take up flower arranging or ballet class. Why not lay down that gauntlet and challenge your team every day, every play, to perform like that?

I think he does. Aspiring to be great doesn't always mean you become... great. It's an attitude, a direction from the leader. Thats all it is. No shhhh, crapola they haven't reached their goal. But a little nod for trying to set that precedence over shhhhh crapping all over their aspirations would be nice. Cynical fuuuuu jerks.

I think New York media is so scared of sounding homer with this team they go out of their way to shi...crap all over them by finding quick witted ways of doing so. You'd think someone would be rooting for the lonesome losers. not hip in The journalism community I guess.

...so F Rick an his stupid article.

Points?

#1, he's not from NY. #2, he's been a life long, long suffering Jets fan who's been doing nothing but rooting, cheering and crying for the lonesome losers for the better part of 35 years. #3, he is a smart and savvy football fan just tryin to have some fun with this so lay off...

#1, he's not from NY. #2, he's been a life long, long suffering Jets fan who's been doing nothing but rooting, cheering and crying for the lonesome losers for the better part of 35 years. #3, he is a smart and savvy football fan just tryin to have some fun with this so lay off...

Lol, so am I. If I ever see Rick ill buy him a beer, ok? Er and I'm on my iPhone. I'm guessing Rick posts or mods here. If so sorry Rick but ive been at the airport bar on flight delay most of the day.

Points?

Dude I know you are kidding but let me be serious for a second. We are all collectively spending a ton of time bringing new writers on board. If you want to criticize a view point in an article that is fine.

But typing F Rick, even when you are joking...well that just isn't cool.

Again -- debate is what makes this site great. So trust me it is welcome here. Cursing and personal attacks are not. I know you are kidding around, but people don't always realize that, so I felt it was important to make the point here.

But the article still stinks ftr.

I think the article is pretty spot on. Starting with the Steeler game and continuing through last year the Jets were definitely "softer". The Jets could not tackle during the 1st half of the Steeler game and then Schott got cure on the 1-yd line and wouldn't pound the ball into the endzone.

During training camp all we heard about was the finesse, passing offense that was going to light up the scoreboard.....fail.

All season the defense played pretty well but seemed to let down at key moments or give up the big 3rd and long. How about the 99-yd TD to cruz? that pretty much ended the season.

This team just doesn't have the horses to put of 30 pts / game so if they want to be successful this year it's going to be defense and physical, ball-control offense.

They beat Brady and Manning on the road to get to Pittsburg that year. They lost a tough game as they ran out of gas. I wasn't happy but I was proud of the team that season. Jeesh.

Team has been vastly improved and I am very happy with Rex and the "new culture". But like it or not they have fallen way short of being the "most physical team in the NFL" Hell an ex-QB coached 49ers were way more physical, that 1st quater of their playoff game with the Saints was about as a hard hitting football game as I have watched. Ravens vs. Steelers regularly features the 2 most physical teams in the NFL. Not saying I wasnt as happy as I have ever been when they beat the Colts and Pats back to back, it was the greatest 2 year playoff run since Superbowl III.

Rick Allen should run into the gap right into Demario Davis. See how physical we are.

Oh baby now your talking, I'd hit that hole as hard as I could, lose 2 yards, most likely cough up the ball and be the happiest player ever taking off an NFL field on a stretcher.

I think too much emphasis is being put on what amounts to nothing more than a rallying cry.

In fact I'm pretty sure Rex stole it from the Ravens. I heard play like a Raven way before I heard play like a Jet.

Every upper echelon team has a similar mantra.. play like a Steeler, Patriot, 49er, <insert team>.

Is this a blog or an article? It seems so juvenile with the whole "inside joke with my kid" thing.

You really hurt my kids feelings on that one let me tell you. I think the basic idea is the Jets, while much improved have fallen short of ever being the "most physical". Their first 2 years under Rex were great improvements but even as I highly ranked defense they were far from that goal. They get very few sacks, have struggled at times against the run, while they have decent running stats Tomlinson is not striking fear with his running style and he contributed quite a few yards, they have an undersized athetic TE who would just assume jump over a CB rather than run through one, Cromartie is the worst tacler on the team, Smith can hit like a truck but often takes horrible angles. I really didn't intend the article to be received as that negative, but playing a physical brand of football is a culture that must be talked about every day, preached in practice, praised during films. One player infuences another and another until you either buy in or you look like a wuss. Watch that 49ers playoff game against the Saints and tell me if the Jets ever played like that under Rex. They, were the most physical football team, especially the second half of the year.

I think too much emphasis is being put on what amounts to nothing more than a rallying cry.

In fact I'm pretty sure Rex stole it from the Ravens. I heard play like a Raven way before I heard play like a Jet.

Every upper echelon team has a similar mantra.. play like a Steeler, Patriot, 49er, <insert team>.

You think Notre Dame of the old days took "play like a champion" as just a silly rallying cry. But you sort of hit it on the head, why bother saying it if it means nothing. It's like every football team puts up 4 fingers as if to say the "the 4th quarter is ours", I never go for that stuff as a coach. It's about creating a culture of trust, support, toughness, focus, team first, that doesn't come from a meaningless phrase. But when you create the culture first then the phrase can mean something. I bet Ray Lewis knows what it means to "play like a Raven" and I am certain he calls out those who don't.

They beat Brady and Manning on the road to get to Pittsburg that year. They lost a tough game as they ran out of gas. I wasn't happy but I was proud of the team that season. Jeesh.

\

Agreed. This article blows. We lost the first Baltimore game by one point. That hardly smells of being out matched by a more physical team.

Pretty laughable article, we're easily one of the most physical teams in the league. If we had a top QB we'd probably be looking at 2 SB's, the physical aspect of the team was what carried it. You can point out particular negative examples for ANY team across the last 3 season. Last season we certainly couldn't be physical on the offensive front, not with Wayne Hunter going full retard.

You made my point one of the more physicsl teams which could describe 10 maybe 12 other teams but competing to be the "most physical" is usually between 2 teams per conf. Watch the 49ers play the Saints in the playoffs and tell me if the Jets EVER played that style of football.

Dead wrong there bro but it doesnt happen overnight. You develop a culture and that culture starts with demanding the best effort form the QB to the practice squad. Once it means something to "play like a Jet" then a leader can make it clear who isn't doing their part. Thats why I get ticked when Rex makes all these SB predictions then keeps a avg blocking TE when he holds and goes offsides constantly. Mulligan provided a great opportunity top show the team what happens when you don't "play like a Jet". Parcells, Belechick both show the door to guys who don't show the commitment to success they demand. Bill B made an example of a RB who fumbled in the 3rd quaters during a beating they gaVe Denver. That was a msg to the team, and they played in the SB.

Points?

I am thrilled to be considered New York media, but I am salesman from York Pennsylvania. But I am one hell of a salesman and if we sat and had a bourbon I could convince that I am right and sell you an awesome set of shower curtain rings.

Archived