“Play Like A Jet”

Maxman

Lol, so am I. If I ever see Rick ill buy him a beer, ok? Er and I'm on my iPhone. I'm guessing Rick posts or mods here. If so sorry Rick but ive been at the airport bar on flight delay most of the day.

I drink bourbon I will give you my address, the abuse you have been throwing me is worth a nice bottle.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

\

Agreed. This article blows. We lost the first Baltimore game by one point. That hardly smells of being out matched by a more physical team.

Simply put they have not been the "most physical team in the league", not by a long shot. If you want to debate that I am all for it, but losing games by 1 point has nothing to do with what I am talking about. Losses that come with moral victories goes back to the Bruce Coslet, Pete Carroll, Rich Kotite 1/2 a decade, the worst years of the Jets and is the exact opposite of what it takes to be a champion. That loss may be the worst football game they played in Rex three years.

This article is interesting. I realize this is a forum where people analyze and more often over analyze things but the criticism of this article is a little over the top and obnoxious, although the one comment mad me laugh for a good 30 seconds ("this article was written like a jet"). Either way i think if you just stop tryin to prove the guy wrong on every aspect of his article you can just get the overall message.

I think basically, the "Play like a Jet" meaning has gone array this past season, which shouldnt be a surprise anyone considering the season we had on the field and in the locker room. Rex has made a lot of statements and some of them have been difficult to stand behind but I think we did because of what he did to our defense, transforming and bringing in players that hit hard.

All i know is that in the years of our consecutive AFC championship runs, even though we came up short we werent the laughing stock of the league because we knocked teams on their asses and we got there with real teamwork, blood and sweat. Now we seem to have lost the teamwork, and lacked in the blood and sweat department. I acknowledge the statistics of still being in the top 5 in defense but if you can honestly say the Jets defense left everything they had on the field for those 16 games then we weren't watching the same games.

I would also note, Play like a Jet i'm sure isnt just about the defense. The linemen, receivers, running backs, and quarterback are just as capable of playing with vigor and intensity. With the exception of Plaxico i didnt see our receivers laying out major blocks for greene like braylon or santonio did in the year before. I would say though that our O-line is truly very accomplished and great when healthy, with the exception of our right tackle

Feel free to over analyze my words as well, but you guys know what I'm gettin at.

I think too much emphasis is being put on what amounts to nothing more than a rallying cry.

In fact I'm pretty sure Rex stole it from the Ravens. I heard play like a Raven way before I heard play like a Jet.

Every upper echelon team has a similar mantra.. play like a Steeler, Patriot, 49er, <insert team>.

Did he steal it, or was he the one that used it as a rallying cry with the Ravens and it followed him to NY?

Also, who cares?

You really hurt my kids feelings on that one let me tell you. I think the basic idea is the Jets, while much improved have fallen short of ever being the "most physical". Their first 2 years under Rex were great improvements but even as I highly ranked defense they were far from that goal. They get very few sacks, have struggled at times against the run, while they have decent running stats Tomlinson is not striking fear with his running style and he contributed quite a few yards, they have an undersized athetic TE who would just assume jump over a CB rather than run through one, Cromartie is the worst tacler on the team, Smith can hit like a truck but often takes horrible angles. I really didn't intend the article to be received as that negative, but playing a physical brand of football is a culture that must be talked about every day, preached in practice, praised during films. One player infuences another and another until you either buy in or you look like a wuss. Watch that 49ers playoff game against the Saints and tell me if the Jets ever played like that under Rex. They, were the most physical football team, especially the second half of the year.

Dude I feel really bad. If I knew you were a poster I would have directed it towards you so you got more of my razzing and less of my hate, LOL I asked bc i really didn't know where the article came from. I was being over the top on purpose, didn't really mean to be so mean. My bad.

Lol, so am I. If I ever see Rick ill buy him a beer, ok? Er and I'm on my iPhone. I'm guessing Rick posts or mods here. If so sorry Rick but ive been at the airport bar on flight delay most of the day.

So you are drinking before you are going to text and drive the plane. Awesoem.

Dude I feel really bad. If I knew you were a poster I would have directed it towards you so you got more of my razzing and less of my hate, LOL I asked bc i really didn't know where the article came from. I was being over the top on purpose, didn't really mean to be so mean. My bad.

Rick, in Hess's defense... this is how all of the guys in the mafia forum talk to each other. Demented terms of endearment from fellow fans of the Jets, sarcasm, profanity and boobies. Mostly boobies.

I am thrilled to be considered New York media, but I am salesman from York Pennsylvania. But I am one hell of a salesman and if we sat and had a bourbon I could convince that I am right and sell you an awesome set of shower curtain rings.

Yeah bro again, I just read the article on my phone and started typing stuff up on a barstool at the airport. Stop making me feel bad now dammit.

You guys criticizing the article are missing the overall point... it is the sentiment that the writer wants Rex to get back to how it was season 1 and 2. You all get caught up in debating the minutia to the extreme where you don't even realize you all probably agree with the message.

Rex does need to get back to building a team in the model of what he promise when he arrived. If he does that, then yes, to the writer's point, he will be defining what it is to play like a Jet. Not just saying it.

Yeah bro again, I just read the article on my phone and started typing stuff up on a barstool at the airport. Stop making me feel bad now dammit.

I think you should leave the bar, exit security and then re-enter. This time refuse to remove your shoes no matter what they threaten you with... that outta be a suitable punishment.

Rick, in Hess's defense... this is how all of the guys in the mafia forum talk to each other. Demented terms of endearment from fellow fans of the Jets, sarcasm, profanity and boobies. Mostly boobies.

Pretty much this, it was hate filled love. I blame poor parenting in my youth. Sorry again Rick. What sucks is now I feel too bad to argue how much a Err disliked your point in the article.

Pretty much this, it was hate filled love. I blame poor parenting in my youth. Sorry again Rick. What sucks is now I feel too bad to argue how much a Ed disliked your point in the article.

Go see if you can decipher wtf villain the foe's point is about Jonathan White or whatever that guys name is we drafted in the 15th round... lol

Just landed, golf for the week!!! Yaay

Nice dude... when we do the big mafia party that is never really going to happen we should play golf, you and me could just run around smashing in the heads of people like CTM, Pac, Smashmouth, BG... with our 9 irons!!! The we go make party with naked ladies, boobies, and 6% beers!!!!

Pretty much this, it was hate filled love. I blame poor parenting in my youth. Sorry again Rick. What sucks is now I feel too bad to argue how much a Err disliked your point in the article.

I get that, I live and grew up in the suburbs but have seen enough mob films to know when they smile and compliment you, your about to take one between the eyes.

Guilt is an internal response, not external. Turns out you have a heart afterall. It will be our little secret.

You guys criticizing the article are missing the overall point... it is the sentiment that the writer wants Rex to get back to how it was season 1 and 2. You all get caught up in debating the minutia to the extreme where you don't even realize you all probably agree with the message.

Rex does need to get back to building a team in the model of what he promise when he arrived. If he does that, then yes, to the writer's point, he will be defining what it is to play like a Jet. Not just saying it.

Really summed it up well.

This article is interesting. I realize this is a forum where people analyze and more often over analyze things but the criticism of this article is a little over the top and obnoxious, although the one comment mad me laugh for a good 30 seconds ("this article was written like a jet"). Either way i think if you just stop tryin to prove the guy wrong on every aspect of his article you can just get the overall message.

Bingo.

This thread has some epic potential btw.

Harsh criticism/debate

Cursing

A reprimand for the cursing

The criticized defending himself

The criticizer (word?) feeling bad about criticizing

Only thing missing is a gay joke and we got ourselves a true legend...

Simply put they have not been the "most physical team in the league", not by a long shot. If you want to debate that I am all for it, but losing games by 1 point has nothing to do with what I am talking about. Losses that come with moral victories goes back to the Bruce Coslet, Pete Carroll, Rich Kotite 1/2 a decade, the worst years of the Jets and is the exact opposite of what it takes to be a champion. That loss may be the worst football game they played in Rex three years.

I think you may be talking about last years loss where Mangold wasn't playing and we had a rookie FA center who was on the team for a week. Look, I am not saying that we are THE most physical team in the league but to deny there was a complete culture shift since Rex got here is quite simply ignoring the facts.

Before he arrived the term "play like a Jet" didn't even exist. That alone backs up my side of this conversation. It's funny to me how quickly everyone turned on Rex. he's had two winning seasons, one tying the most wins we've ever had, two AFC championship games, Beat Manning and Brady in their houses on consecutive weeks in the playoffs and one 8-8 season. I'm really tiring of all the littlw shots everyone is taking at Rex and the Jets. Most of it from our own beat writers and fans. It saddens me. It's almost like we don't like success. We like being miserable or something.

I'm not talking abut moral victories. I'm talking about real ones. Rex ha given us plenty of them and some of the more exciting games in a long a$$ time.

For our sake I hope they don't "Play like a Jet" and instead "Play like a Steeler" then maybe we'll win a superbowl JMO

I like Ravens ball better than Steelers ball. Ray Lewis is my favorite player though so a little biased.

I think you may be talking about last years loss where Mangold wasn't playing and we had a rookie FA center who was on the team for a week. Look, I am not saying that we are THE most physical team in the league but to deny there was a complete culture shift since Rex got here is quite simply ignoring the facts.

Before he arrived the term "play like a Jet" didn't even exist. That alone backs up my side of this conversation. It's funny to me how quickly everyone turned on Rex. he's had two winning seasons, one tying the most wins we've ever had, two AFC championship games, Beat Manning and Brady in their houses on consecutive weeks in the playoffs and one 8-8 season. I'm really tiring of all the littlw shots everyone is taking at Rex and the Jets. Most of it from our own beat writers and fans. It saddens me. It's almost like we don't like success. We like being miserable or something.

I'm not talking abut moral victories. I'm talking about real ones. Rex ha given us plenty of them and some of the more exciting games in a long a$$ time.

To be fair, though, just about all of the criticism has been about his mouth, the way he handles the media (guaranteeing super bowls, giving the players the green light to say whatever they want, hyping up all the players in the press, etc). Especially in a media capital like NY, with a fan base like the Jets have, when said team does not follow through and win any SB's, and the players are trashing each other out in the open, and said players are not living up to their hype....Those words are going to to bite you.

There are a lot of Jets fans/media who don't like Rex Ryan's personality. There are a very few knowledgeable football people out there that don't have a lot of respect for him as a football mind. And to me, thats the biggest difference between Rex and every other Jets coach since Parcells. Everyone loved Herm's personality, but he was a sh*t coach. No one had an opinion on Mangini's personality (cause he didn't have one), so the only thing left to criticize was his coaching...

With Rex, everyone knows he's got a great football mind and can work miracles with X's and O's. The question with him is will he be able to rebuild a turmoiled locker room and re-gain people's trust OFF the field.

Don't give a second thought my comments were completley tongue and cheek, my senior daughter breaks them off on me more than most people on Jetnation.com. The goal for me is to create a nice thread and what are New Yorkers if not over the top. Thanks for the kind words but all I care about is winning.

I really didn't intend to have this article read as a major indictment of Rex or the change he had brought to the franchise. I have enjoyed his success as much as any Jet fan. But what a coach has to be careful of is assuming the transformation is complete. A culture change requires a commitment to the new atmosphere, getting buy-in every day by everybody. I think they have made great strides but I also think Rex took his finger of the pulse of his team last year. He may have believed he had the peer leadership to let the players lead the way. Its time to ramp up the intensity, demand excellence and take this team to the next level. You can't predict championships and allow the team to show the lack of focus and dedication it showed last year. Even in the years they made playoff runs they lost focus during parts of the year.

Archived