“Play Like A Jet”

Maxman

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's funny to me how quickly everyone turned on Rex. he's had two winning seasons, one tying the most wins we've ever had, two AFC championship games, Beat Manning and Brady in their houses on consecutive weeks in the playoffs and one 8-8 season. I'm really tiring of all the littlw shots everyone is taking at Rex and the Jets. Most of it from our own beat writers and fans. It saddens me. It's almost like we don't like success. We like being miserable or something.

It's not so much turning on Rex as it was just getting a little tired of the same problems existing since day 1. Getting used to the job on the fly is fine as long as you're actually showing that you're learning. Probably the worst of everything is that he still was completely disconnected from the offense. Going into his 3rd year, with all the scrutiny on Sanchez and Schott, you'd hope he'd have taken the reigns a little more but he didn't. The team as a whole was still was coming out flat all too often. The 3-game collapse to round off the season was epic on so many levels and a lot of that was on coaching. Their performance against Philly was unacceptable and so was the loss to Miami. The continuing circus still didn't help. And that's including the whole Holmes/Captain thing and the nonsense with McElroy and Tomlinson after the season. Rex is a decent coach and the Jets have had way worse, but it was clear in year 1 that he had a lot to improve on and as a coach he didn't in year 3. It's not insane to find that concerning.

Dude I feel really bad. If I knew you were a poster I would have directed it towards you so you got more of my razzing and less of my hate, LOL I asked bc i really didn't know where the article came from. I was being over the top on purpose, didn't really mean to be so mean. My bad.

What a jerk wagon.. snide little prick

You made my point one of the more physicsl teams which could describe 10 maybe 12 other teams but competing to be the "most physical" is usually between 2 teams per conf. Watch the 49ers play the Saints in the playoffs and tell me if the Jets EVER played that style of football.

Over the last 3 seasons, since Rex took over I can think of only 2 teams who have matched our level of physicality, that's the Ravens and the Steelers, two teams who have been built that way for years. The 49ers brought it last season, but I don't think it was any significantly better than how our defense was playing in 09 or 10. The Jets problems have not nothing to do with not being physical enough and have more to do with just not being good enough in certain positions.

I really didn't intend to have this article read as a major indictment of Rex or the change he had brought to the franchise. I have enjoyed his success as much as any Jet fan. But what a coach has to be careful of is assuming the transformation is complete. A culture change requires a commitment to the new atmosphere, getting buy-in every day by everybody. I think they have made great strides but I also think Rex took his finger of the pulse of his team last year. He may have believed he had the peer leadership to let the players lead the way. Its time to ramp up the intensity, demand excellence and take this team to the next level. You can't predict championships and allow the team to show the lack of focus and dedication it showed last year. Even in the years they made playoff runs they lost focus during parts of the year.

I Agree with this. I also may have been a bit harsh yesterday as I was unaware of just how bad of a mood I was in until I got into a little something with my boss. later on that day :D

I believe that Rex is actually far more humble than a man of his type usually is and he has been paying attention to how it feels to eat a sh*t sandwich. He doesn't like it. We dismantled the best WR corp we've had in years last season due to our over confidence. We didn't address the safety position due to our over confidence. Bringing in Plax right out of prison to go with the punk Santonio holmes and then Mason. NO back up QB. No back up O line etc etc etc. It was a weird season where we could have used a training camp more than ever and didn't have one.

I am actually more in agreement with you than I originally stated, and I truly believe this is going to be a turnaround year from last season. Rex, I believe, is going to prove his true worth this season and the NFL will go back to sucking him off all year like the did all of 09-10. Not that I really care if that happens or not as long as we're winning,

I like Ravens ball better too but for the sake of winning super bowls, lets play like a steeler or play like a packer.

Or like Adam Vinatieri. He's always sniffing around a superbowl

To be fair, though, just about all of the criticism has been about his mouth, the way he handles the media (guaranteeing super bowls, giving the players the green light to say whatever they want, hyping up all the players in the press, etc). Especially in a media capital like NY, with a fan base like the Jets have, when said team does not follow through and win any SB's, and the players are trashing each other out in the open, and said players are not living up to their hype....Those words are going to to bite you.

There are a lot of Jets fans/media who don't like Rex Ryan's personality. There are a very few knowledgeable football people out there that don't have a lot of respect for him as a football mind. And to me, thats the biggest difference between Rex and every other Jets coach since Parcells. Everyone loved Herm's personality, but he was a sh*t coach. No one had an opinion on Mangini's personality (cause he didn't have one), so the only thing left to criticize was his coaching...

With Rex, everyone knows he's got a great football mind and can work miracles with X's and O's. The question with him is will he be able to rebuild a turmoiled locker room and re-gain people's trust OFF the field.

I know. It's tough though too. Like the bellicheck rings comment. People take that so out of proportion. He was asked how he felt being in the conference with the big bad pats and he was basically saying he came here to beat them. What else would we want someone to say? "I love the Pats and want to hopefully be able to match their awesomness with our ability to get lucky once or twice against them?"

I hate political correctness where football is concerned. Everyone is so scared to talk and sounds exactly like eachother anymore. We get to hear the same clips from different people about how much they respect the other team etc. It's boring and it sucks.

I understand why there are people who don't like the way Rex talks but that's merely because no one talks anymore. He backed up almost everything he said except the guarantee. Untill the Pats swept us last season we were 3-2 against them including the playoffs. It's comical to me how everyone wants to jump on him. Last season sucked. Let's get that out of the way. There are a lot of reasons why that is. Least of them being Rex's talking. That was just the salt on the wound. I sincerely hope when Rex wins us a superbowl. He stands up on the podium, holds the lombardi trophy in the air and tells everyone to suck his balls! That would make me smile. I would also like to read all of the articles bitching about how Rex ruined the sanctity of the trophy and the superbowl. Like it's church or something. It's a game people.

I hate the way the world is and think everyone is a p*ssy these days by the way LMAO!!!!

Over the last 3 seasons, since Rex took over I can think of only 2 teams who have matched our level of physicality, that's the Ravens and the Steelers, two teams who have been built that way for years. The 49ers brought it last season, but I don't think it was any significantly better than how our defense was playing in 09 or 10. The Jets problems have not nothing to do with not being physical enough and have more to do with just not being good enough in certain positions.

Agreed weaknesses at safety, right tackle, WR/TE were majpr issues. Perhaps my expectations are too grand. I was just so excited to have a defensive guy, one who was on the staff of that 2000 Ravens team. Thats what I want. 85 Bears, 86 Giants, 2000 Ravens, and I promise that is what Rex envisions too. And when a team reaches that pinnacle a phrase has meaning, leaders preach it to the rookies. You walk in from day one and you realize "GD this franchise doesn't F around, I better bring my A game. Were not playing pick up basketball ala Pete Carroll, we preparing to compete for the SB. I lve in York PA 45 minutes form Baltimore and those fans still talk about that 2000 defense. Historically great, thats what I want.

I Agree with this. I also may have been a bit harsh yesterday as I was unaware of just how bad of a mood I was in until I got into a little something with my boss. later on that day :biggrin:

I believe that Rex is actually far more humble than a man of his type usually is and he has been paying attention to how it feels to eat a sh*t sandwich. He doesn't like it. We dismantled the best WR corp we've had in years last season due to our over confidence. We didn't address the safety position due to our over confidence. Bringing in Plax right out of prison to go with the punk Santonio holmes and then Mason. NO back up QB. No back up O line etc etc etc. It was a weird season where we could have used a training camp more than ever and didn't have one.

I am actually more in agreement with you than I originally stated, and I truly believe this is going to be a turnaround year from last season. Rex, I believe, is going to prove his true worth this season and the NFL will go back to sucking him off all year like the did all of 09-10. Not that I really care if that happens or not as long as we're winning,

Its all in good fun, I don't take the reactions too seriously. I try to write well constructed pieces, that part I work hard to accomplish, but my opinions are my own and are fair game to be disagreed with, even ridiculed. Its the mine field of editorials. If a bomb threat comes I will reconsider my commitment to the website, until then have at it. Go Jets!!!!!!!

I know. It's tough though too. Like the bellicheck rings comment. People take that so out of proportion. He was asked how he felt being in the conference with the big bad pats and he was basically saying he came here to beat them. What else would we want someone to say? "I love the Pats and want to hopefully be able to match their awesomness with our ability to get lucky once or twice against them?"

I hate political correctness where football is concerned. Everyone is so scared to talk and sounds exactly like eachother anymore. We get to hear the same clips from different people about how much they respect the other team etc. It's boring and it sucks.

I understand why there are people who don't like the way Rex talks but that's merely because no one talks anymore. He backed up almost everything he said except the guarantee. Untill the Pats swept us last season we were 3-2 against them including the playoffs. It's comical to me how everyone wants to jump on him. Last season sucked. Let's get that out of the way. There are a lot of reasons why that is. Least of them being Rex's talking. That was just the salt on the wound. I sincerely hope when Rex wins us a superbowl. He stands up on the podium, holds the lombardi trophy in the air and tells everyone to suck his balls! That would make me smile. I would also like to read all of the articles bitching about how Rex ruined the sanctity of the trophy and the superbowl. Like it's church or something. It's a game people.

I hate the way the world is and think everyone is a p*ssy these days by the way LMAO!!!!

I agree with a good portion of what you just said. But I definitely think guaranteeing a Super Bowl every year and hyping up all of your players (calling Sanchez an ELITE QB on multiple occasions last preseason), puts maybe too much pressure on some guys to perform. For some guys, this works, as they respond to pressure.... For some, it gets to their head and they think they are better then they are, and as a result, don't work as hard. For others, they try too hard to live up to expectations and try to force things as opposed to letting the game come to them.

I think calling Sanchez an Elite QB is a perfect example. Not saying it is THE reason we collapsed last season, but think about it. Rex calls Sanchez elite, Sanchez goes out the first three weeks, and tries to prove he's elite and has taken that major step. He falls on his face. Rex reprimands schotty from getting away from G&P. Schott goes back to G&P. Mason and Burress start complaining that they are not getting the action they were promised (Im sure a big selling point is that their additions would help make Sanchez a better QB, which is clear they believed he would be), and everything goes downhill from there. Obviously there were a lot of other factors and Im oversimplifying, but the point I am trying to make is that Rex's words and his guarantees and bravado can certainly have a negative affect on the team at times.

That being said, I absolutely love the confidence and the bravado Rex has, and the culture change he has brought to the franchise. Think about the state of the team four years ago. Mangini had just been fired, and rex hired. We were a mediocre team the last couple years, making the playoffs once, going 4-12 once and finishing 9-7 after starting 8-3 with Brett Favre. To think we'd all be mad calling for Rex's head after 2 winning seasons- which produced 2 AFCCG appearances, and four road playoff wins, followed by an 8-8 season thanks to a late-season collapse, would have been crazy talk. But Rex has set the bar THAT high with his talk, and for that I respect him.

To sum up, I guess the main point is that I like Rex's bravado and confidence overall, but I think there are times and situations when it would benefit him to stop talking to the media and start focusing more on addressing some of the problems the team is having.

I agree with a good portion of what you just said. But I definitely think guaranteeing a Super Bowl every year and hyping up all of your players (calling Sanchez an ELITE QB on multiple occasions last preseason), puts maybe too much pressure on some guys to perform. For some guys, this works, as they respond to pressure.... For some, it gets to their head and they think they are better then they are, and as a result, don't work as hard. For others, they try too hard to live up to expectations and try to force things as opposed to letting the game come to them.

I think calling Sanchez an Elite QB is a perfect example. Not saying it is THE reason we collapsed last season, but think about it. Rex calls Sanchez elite, Sanchez goes out the first three weeks, and tries to prove he's elite and has taken that major step. He falls on his face. Rex reprimands schotty from getting away from G&P. Schott goes back to G&P. Mason and Burress start complaining that they are not getting the action they were promised (Im sure a big selling point is that their additions would help make Sanchez a better QB, which is clear they believed he would be), and everything goes downhill from there. Obviously there were a lot of other factors and Im oversimplifying, but the point I am trying to make is that Rex's words and his guarantees and bravado can certainly have a negative affect on the team at times.

That being said, I absolutely love the confidence and the bravado Rex has, and the culture change he has brought to the franchise. Think about the state of the team four years ago. Mangini had just been fired, and rex hired. We were a mediocre team the last couple years, making the playoffs once, going 4-12 once and finishing 9-7 after starting 8-3 with Brett Favre. To think we'd all be mad calling for Rex's head after 2 winning seasons- which produced 2 AFCCG appearances, and four road playoff wins, followed by an 8-8 season thanks to a late-season collapse, would have been crazy talk. But Rex has set the bar THAT high with his talk, and for that I respect him.

To sum up, I guess the main point is that I like Rex's bravado and confidence overall, but I think there are times and situations when it would benefit him to stop talking to the media and start focusing more on addressing some of the problems the team is having.

Fair enough. i agree. I also think the over confidence this team had led to us getting rid (allowing to leave)of the team leadership like Jones, Cotch, Richardson, Smith, Ellis etc. and thinking we would have a smooth season. It's simp[ly not realistic. Truth be told, I'm really against a lot of the decisions this team makes. it just seems like I'm a homer at times because people on here can be so damn negative against every single move. :D

The positive in all of this is I honestly believe (hope) that Rex is learning and making adjustments to his style of coaching. For that am hopeful in what the Jets are going to accomplish this season.

Its all in good fun, I don't take the reactions too seriously. I try to write well constructed pieces, that part I work hard to accomplish, but my opinions are my own and are fair game to be disagreed with, even ridiculed. Its the mine field of editorials. If a bomb threat comes I will reconsider my commitment to the website, until then have at it. Go Jets!!!!!!!

You're a good man. I appreciate your contribution. Sincerely I do. Now go F yourself :D

I am thrilled to be considered New York media, but I am salesman from York Pennsylvania. But I am one hell of a salesman and if we sat and had a bourbon I could convince that I am right and sell you an awesome set of shower curtain rings.

I freakin loved teh article.

Hess is a text while driving dorka-a-zoid. Worse kind.

MM-Bottle-Image.jpg

Archived