Jets Waive Ropati! NOOOOOOOOOOO!!

Ryno the Jet

Post image for Jets Waive Defensive End Ropati Pitoitua

According to Roto-World the Jets have placed reserve defensive end Ropati Pitoitua on the waiver wire. He was set to make $1.15 million this season and with the addition of first round draft pick Quinton Coples may have become expandable:

Jets waived DE Ropati Pitoitua.

The 6-foot-8, 315-pound “five technique” played well over 300 snaps for New York last season, …  Pitoitua’s rather large $950,000 base salary plus $200,000 workout bonus will make him unattractive in the waivers process.

Since he has not accrued four seasons under NFL guidelines Pitoitua is subject to the waiver wire system.  Under this system the worst team in the league (Colts) can claim him and his current contract.  The process continues if a team passes from worst to best but if Pitoitua clears waivers, no team claims him, he’ll become an unrestricted free agent.  

The Jets may try and resigned him at a lower salary, possible the league minimum of $540,000, if Pitoitua makes it through waives which given the size of the contract is likely. 

You can continue to hear more information on this move in our

di
di

QuqHlijHIRc

View the full article

Not actually all that surprised. I had said from even before the drafting of Coples that he was the most likely of any of the DL to lose his job this summer. After Coples was drafted, the only shot he had was if the Jets decided to trade someone else away. The bottom line is Pouha, DeVito, Wilkerson, Coples, Ellis and Dixon are all stone cold locks for the roster, barring trade or injury. And this is on the same team that had what, only 4 DL on the active roster by the end of 2010? At this point the rest of the guys on the DL are going to be fighting it out for practice squad spots and not much more.

think hes just the odd man out .... Rex overblows all his players

Can someone please explain to me why Rex would say something negative about one of his players? Even if he thought the guy sucked, it would make no sense for a coach to say it publicly.

You really think Rex believes Eric Smith is good NFL safety?

Can someone please explain to me why Rex would say something negative about one of his players? Even if he thought the guy sucked, it would make no sense for a coach to say it publicly.

You really think Rex believes Eric Smith is good NFL safety?

Exactly. You never know if you may use them in some type of package trade or something. You cant do that if the other team can look an old press conference and see you trashing the dude you're about to trade to them lol.

Only Jets fans HATE the potential of new draft picks with overwhelming ability and talents, but LOVE the potential of practice squad roster bottom feeders that might have shown a "flash" once... Or at least in the opinion of the advocate.

Only Jets fans HATE the potential of new draft picks with overwhelming ability and talents, but LOVE the potential of practice squad roster bottom feeders that might have shown a "flash" once... Or at least in the opinion of the advocate.

Dude, there's still guys on this board who are pissed that Brett Ratliff never got a fair shot.

I got LOVE for them both, just not Vlad, if that is what you are referencing.

Ropati is a likable player, but he is expendable at this point.

I am about as optimistic as they come. I predicted in that same thread that all 8 of the 2012 draftees and a few of the UDFAs make the 53 man squad this year. That will never happen.

I got LOVE for them both, just not Vlad, if that is what you are referencing.

Ropati is a likable player, but he is expendable at this point.

I am about as optimistic as they come. I predicted in that same thread that all 8 of the 2012 draftees and a few of the UDFAs make the 53 man squad this year. That will never happen.

Nobody in this thread has really reacted how I described, but they'll come... Oh, they'll come

Did Rex even rave about this guy or is this based off of a Hard Knocks sentence? I feel like he just mentioned he liked him and he was playing well before the injury, and this was back when the DL depth wasn't so awesome.

He was always positive about the guy, but that's Rex. Hasn't really had a ton to say about him in more recent times that I can remember. The truth is when you're 4 seasons into your NFL career and your current status is 7 deep on a DL unit that's looking pretty damn good without you, how much longer do you expect a team to wait around to see if you're going to become something more? There's a pretty good shot that there's no open DL spots left to fight for outside of the PS and even if there is, I'm sure Rex and Co would rather let some new blood fight it out because Pitoitua has certainly had more than his fair share of shots. The Jets keep trying to further upgrade their already talented starting DL, they've got some guys with some serious upside in Coples and Ellis, and with the way Dixon has been playing these past couple of years, there's no way in hell Pitoitua was ever going to come off the bench before him.

Ropati was a good player and he saw a lot more playing time last season. I hope he comes back, I remember getting his autograph during training camp last year

I don't think he was bad, I just don't think he's good enough to hang around on what is far and away the Jets strongest unit. As RJF mentioned earlier, the way this team tends to carry their roster, there's just not the space to be carrying that many DL, and that's not even counting the numerous hybrids types who play plenty with their hand in the dirt in nickel sets.

i almost feel that with the fact that it seems like we have alot more talent at DL than LB we should be playing more 4-3. plus the fact that davis is a smallish 3-4 lb'er. but is f'in fast and probably well suited to a sideline to sideline type l'ber.

Archived