Rookie Minicamp (live feed from rookie camp on now)

Ryno the Jet

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How do you feel about playing with Holmes?

Hill: "He's amazing! Great player. Can't wait to aks him questions."

You are a good blocker. [showing clips of blocks from today] What do you think you can add?

Hill: "I will do what I did in college, but try to do it better."

Can QBs overthrow you on the deep routes?

Hill: "It's possible, but it's really hard to do."

Lots of distractions in NY. How will you deal?

Hill: "I am all business."

What's better, good block that springs TD or TD catch?

Hill: "Honestly, both."

LOL, how is the NFL route tree?

Hill: "It's different. Everything is a little deeper."

Why 84? Because of Moss?

Hill: "Haha, no it was my Dad's number."

I wanted a follow-up question as to why Hill's Dad only played one year of high school football. :)

Impression of coach Thurman?

Bush: "Tough coach, but fun guy."

What about Gronk?

Bush: "Don't let him catch it."

NFLs trend towards athletic TE.

Bush: "Covered TEs well in college, which should help the transition to the pros."

Have you/will you play STs?

Bush: "I have and I know as a rookie, STs will be important."

Do you think your game benefits more from athleticism or preparation?

Bush: "At this level, everyone is physically capable, but you have to be strong mentally to make it."

What do you think about the Jets current safeties?

Bush: "Landry has a lot of tools. I am sure Eric Smith is the same way. I am looking forward to learning from them."

Will playing against the Jets WRs in practice elevate your play?

Bush: "Yes, Stephen Hill is a big guy and Holmes is a playmaker."

Who do you look up to?

Bush: "Ed Reed. Would like to talk with Reed t pick his brain."

Not that I dare question our offensive savior with his routes of gold and FIRE, but shouldn't he be teaching? This is a very young offense for the most part....beyond the OL really (and even then theres the uber raw Vlad). The only guy after the OL guys drafted before '08 is whatshisname...Holmes.

Not that I dare question our offensive savior with his routes of gold and FIRE, but shouldn't he be teaching? This is a very young offense for the most part....beyond the OL really (and even then theres the uber raw Vlad). The only guy after the OL guys drafted before '08 is whatshisname...Holmes.

How is he not teaching?

Quinton Coples confident after first practice of Jets rookie mini-camp

Published: Friday, May 04, 2012, 2:31 PM Updated: Friday, May 04, 2012, 2:33 PM

By Jenny Vrentas/The Star-Ledger

10953713-large.jpg

John Munson/The Star-LedgerQuinton Coples says he's mastered the "majority" of the defensive playbook.

After the first practice of the Jets' rookie mini-camp, first-round pick Quinton Coples felt good about where he's at.

"It's been great," Coples said. "I grasped everything, didn’t have any busts today, so things turned out great."

He added: "Overall the defensive scheme, the majority of it is based off of what we got today, so I grasped the majority of the defensive playbook today."

The Jets rookies practiced outside for about 2.5 hours this morning, with a short team period at the end. Coples said he was used at both left and right defensive end end, as well as inside at tackle, but did no stand-up work in his first practice in green and white.

"They used me all across the board," Coples, who was drafted No. 16 overall out of UNC, said. "I played some tackle, I also played some defensive end, mostly pass-rushing techniques."

Coples received the playbook last Friday, when he reported to the team facility the day after he was drafted. He said the Jets coaches also gave him 10 DVDs of film, showing the defensive front against 2011 opponents. Coples went through it all in five days, watching each player individually for the techniques they used and how they handled their assignments.

"I had to," he said. "That’s a part of being great."

Coples did not express concerns about the complexity of the playbook, explaining that coach Rex Ryan was able to simplify it for easier digestion. He also is not worried about the transition from UNC's 4-3 to the Jets' 3-4 system. The Jets do mix in several fronts with four down linemen.

"It’s a little bit (different) on certain techniques, but overall it is about attacking and then getting off and making plays," Coples said.

Overall, it was nothing but good vibes from the rookie on his first day.

"I'm excited about being a part of his defense, and I’m excited about him coaching me and me becoming great," Coples said of Ryan.

A few notes from this morning's practice session:

++ WR Stephen Hill, the Jets' second-round pick, looked very strong and physical on the field. He put in extra work on the side with new receivers coach Sanjay Lal, and he even worked as a flier on punt drills. Hill had very sticky hands during drills, and he made a circus catch during seven-on-seven work of a twice-deflected pass. The one play he wished he had back was a deep sideline pass from QB G.J. Kinne, which bounced off his fingertips.

++ New offensive coordinator Tony Sparano was as "no-nonsense" as promised. He buzzed around the practice field, barking out orders and corrections to players.

"You can't take 10 steps to get 12 (yards)," Sparano said at one point. Another time he yelled, "You gave up on the route as soon as contact was made!"

++ RB DaMarcus Ganaway worked behind John Griffin, a futures player, but the sixth-round pick from Baylor made some nice catches out of the backfield.

++ WR Scotty McKnight, a seventh-round pick last year who is rehabbing from an ACL tear, was at practicing doing light jogging and some of the drills but did not participate fully.

© 2012 NJ.com. All rights reserved.

How is he not teaching?

I said he's not? The point was that it's a no sh*t situation that he's teaching. He's a veteran coach brought into a young offense...kind of a no brainer what his job is besides get the OL/running game straight again so that the offense isn't hurting the D by not controlling the clock.

Jets are keeping it simple on offense this year because trying to get complicated with Sanchez bombed and Tebow is nowhere near ready for it either.

May 4, 2012 2:44 PM

Quinton Coples plays 'all across the board' in the first day of Jets rookie mini-camp

BY Manish Mehta

The education of Quinton Coples began give days ago when he was handed 10-DVD box set of the Jets’ defensive line’s Greatest Hits from 2011. Gang Green’s first-round pick took five days before the start of rookie mini-camp on Friday to analyze the team’s defensive fronts and techniques. On Friday, the Coples said that he was used “all across the board” from tackle to end on both the left and right sides.

Coples thrived as a left defensive tackle in North Carolina’s 4-3 scheme as a junior before an inconsistent senior season as a right defensive tackle. Al

“They’ll use me all across the board from what I know,” Coples said. “They did it today, so I don’t think they’re going to change it. I’m comfortable with both (my left or right hand in the dirt). (When) you judge it, it’s probably a tenth faster on the left side than right side.”

Coples didn’t play any stand-up edge rusher on Friday, but general manager Mike Tannenbaum indicated earlier in the week that that could be an option. Coples emphasized the importance of polishing his pass rushing techniques as he grasps the playbook. Although he maintained that there’s “nothing really complex about” the defense, he admitted that he wants to show “that I can compete at the highest level and that I can compete on the national stage and that I can help the NY Jets get to a Super Bowl.”

He’s already one of Rex Ryan’s biggest fans.

“I’m excited about him coaching me and helping me become great,” Coples said.

NOTE: WR Scotty McKnight, who’s rehabbing from a torn ACL, was on the field, but didn’t participate in drills.

Here we go with the Rex Ryan Press Conference:

Rich Cimini@RichCimini

Rex Ryan said Quinton Coples "had about six sacks" today -- non-contact drills, of course. #Jets

Jenny Vrentas@JennyVrentas

Rex said Coples and Hill jumped out today because of the way they could run. Said Coples unofficially had 6 sacks today. #nyj

Manish Mehta @TheJetsStream

Rex says Coples, Hill and D. Davis jumped out at Day 1 of rookie minicamp. #nyj

Jake Steinberg@Steiny31

Rex told some of the tryout guys: "This might be your last football."

Jenny Vrentas@JennyVrentas

In response to Coples saying he had grasped the playbook, Rex said, "We like his confidence ... And we will hold him to it." #nyj

Rex on Coples: "Could we stand him up at a rush position? Yes we can." #nyj

Rex Ryan praises ILB DeMario Davis' "natural leadership" skills. Remember, Rex likened Davis to a "young Bart Scott." #nyj

Jake Steinberg@Steiny31

"I compare Demario Davis to a young Bart Scott. THere are some guys that have that natural leadership, and he has it." - Rex Ryan

Rex on Coples saying he has grasped much of the Jets D: "I like it... We're going to hold him to it." #nyj

Archived