The Avengers was OMG RIDICULAWESOME

T0mShane

Wrong movie T0m.

OTOH, I came very close to agreeing with you on Prometheus. I refuse to, but it's close.

Come over to the dark side...Prometheus was the Tony Mandriah of movies. Filled with potential but largely based on false pretense.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I want 5 hour director's cut.

Joke as you may, but Scott's Director's Cuts usually wind up being completely different and infinitely better movies. The Director's Cut for Legend is ******* awesome. And if that cut of Kingdom of Heaven had hit theaters, that would have swept the Oscars and gone down as one of the all-time great films. Instead the studio tried cutting it down to resemble Gladiator. Epic fail. The theatrical release and DC are two completely different films. I pity anyone who hasn't taken the time out to watch it. It's fantastic, maybe the best movie of the decade to be honest.

Supposedly with Prometheus, he's pretty satisfied with what got released though and there's only a few deleted scenes.

Just saw a new preview for this. I was concerned when initial previews started off with Peter Parker expressing some great angst over who his parents were, as if anybody gives a sh*t. The subsequent previews are confirming my thought that this is going to be a giant Transformers 2-style incoherent CGI ****fest soufflé with a thin layer of Andrew Garfield emo warbling on top.

So your fear is that you think it'll be a storyless CGI ****fest, but you don't want them to concentrate on a story. Got it.

Japan premier was this past week. Rave reviews, much better narrative and Garfield is supposedly awesome. Can't wait for it tbh, the cameras Webb had built specifically for this sounded pretty damn impressive.

Joke as you may, but Scott's Director's Cuts usually wind up being completely different and infinitely better movies. The Director's Cut for Legend is ******* awesome. And if that cut of Kingdom of Heaven had hit theaters, that would have swept the Oscars and gone down as one of the all-time great films. Instead the studio tried cutting it down to resemble Gladiator. Epic fail. The theatrical release and DC are two completely different films. I pity anyone who hasn't taken the time out to watch it. It's fantastic, maybe the best movie of the decade to be honest.

Supposedly with Prometheus, he's pretty satisfied with what got released though and there's only a few deleted scenes.

Hell yes. Scott is one of the few directors who's Director's Cut is actually different than the extended version label so many studios shove out there. Fox really screwed themselves over by making him chop up that movie, the directors cut was ******* brilliant. But no, I'm sure the additional screenings they were able to fit in really overcame the fact that they put out a subpar movie...

Hell yes. Scott is one of the few directors who's Director's Cut is actually different than the extended version label so many studios shove out there. Fox really screwed themselves over by making him chop up that movie, the directors cut was ******* brilliant. But no, I'm sure the additional screenings they were able to fit in really overcame the fact that they put out a subpar movie...

Blade Runner will probably always be the standard for Director's Cuts, Scott kind of invented them. But it also gave birth to trash like Apocalypse Now Redux and Oliver Stone still trying to make sense out of Alexander. I get the cynicism towards them. Kingdom of Heaven though, such a tragedy. Norton gave such a great performance as the King and no one saw it.

So your fear is that you think it'll be a storyless CGI ****fest, but you don't want them to concentrate on a story. Got it.

Fooey. You know how much I obsess over narrative. I think Garfield will be a natural as Parker. IMO, the great appeal of the Spider Man creation myth is the idea that the random dude, subjected to a random happenstance, can become a superhero overnight. Who amongst us doesn't want to get bitten by a radioactive spider? Judging by the previews, it looks like that element gets dismissed for convenience's sake in order to shape some lame plot about Parker's need to find out about his parents. Seems contrived when it doesn't have to be; the Spider Man story is cool enough as is.

Aesthetically, the CGI looks cool. I just hope the movie isn't 98% cartoon. We shall see.

Fooey. You know how much I obsess over narrative. I think Garfield will be a natural as Parker. IMO, the great appeal of the Spider Man creation myth is the idea that of the random dude, subjected to a random happenstance, can become a superhero overnight. Who amongst us doesn't want to get bitten by a radioactive spider? Judging by the previews, it looks like that element gets dismissed for convenience's sake in order to shape some lame plot about Parker's need to find out about his parents. Seems contrived when it doesn't have to be; the Spider Man story is cool enough as is.

Aesthetically, the CGI looks cool. I just hope the movie isn't 98% cartoon. We shall see.

He's a ******* orphan. It's always been an underlying subplot in the comics. It would be pretty unrealistic if it was never an issue.

Oh that was no joke sir. Prometheus deserves a 5 hour cut, and he better do it or there just might be heck to pay if I don't forget.

You've said this a few times about Kingdom of Heaven, so I'll be checking it out soon. Scott is exactly the kind of director I'd expect an amazing director's cut from.

Best superhero thing I've seen since Dark Knight. Whedon knows his comics and the characters and didn't do anything stupid with any of them. He even made The Hulk interesting and fun.

A billion stars out of five.

did u stay for the two extra scenes. one during credits, the other after credits have totally rolled?

Might want to wear your sungla$$es, otherwise you'll be blinded by the awesome.

Watched it. Enjoyed it. Will watch it again just for the technical mastery. The only issue I had with it was that, because it was so focused on being organic, it never really went out of its way to give you those moments of visceral awesome that mark, say, Gladiator. This went out of its way to not give in to populist spectacle, which is commendable, but really explains why it didn't find an audience. Loved Norton, Neeson. Had to work a bit to accept Bloom as a spiritually destitute, broken man. That role would have been ideal for Christian Bale or Joaquin Phoenix. Overall, very good. I'll definitely watch it from time to time.

The Director's Cut for Legend is ******* awesome. And if that cut of Kingdom of Heaven had hit theaters, that would have swept the Oscars and gone down as one of the all-time great films. Instead the studio tried cutting it down to resemble Gladiator. Epic fail. The theatrical release and DC are two completely different films.

Downloading. Will watch this weekend and report back. :)

Watched it. Enjoyed it. Will watch it again just for the technical mastery. The only issue I had with it was that, because it was so focused on being organic, it never really went out of its way to give you those moments of visceral awesome that mark, say, Gladiator. This went out of its way to not give in to populist spectacle, which is commendable, but really explains why it didn't find an audience. Loved Norton, Neeson. Had to work a bit to accept Bloom as a spiritually destitute, broken man. That role would have been ideal for Christian Bale or Joaquin Phoenix. Overall, very good. I'll definitely watch it from time to time.

That's the point. It wasn't supposed to be an action movie and rather an epic about religious conflict. You have to go in without that predisposition.

That's the point. It wasn't supposed to be an action movie and rather an epic about religious conflict. You have to go in without that predisposition.

Yeah. I'm gonna wait a week and watch it again just for that reason (to watch it without expectation of spectacle). I had this constant dread that there would be a Bloom v. Saladin swordfight at some point. Thanks for the recommendation. Good call.

I'd also be excited to see Scott give Prometheus the same treatment--trim some action BS and replace it with a more profound ending.

• 3 months later...

Archived