#1 Ryno the Jet

Ryno the Jet

AGS WIN

• Members
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 02:42 PM

Jets defensive lineman Mike DeVito restructures deal

http://www.nj.com/je...rce=twitterfeed
Published: Tuesday, May 08, 2012, 12:38 PM Updated: Tuesday, May 08, 2012, 12:56 PM

By Jenny Vrentas/The Star-Ledger

Posted Image
Robert Sciarrino/The Star-LedgerMike DeVito's role may be affected by the addition of Quinton Coples.

A week after the Jets drafted North Carolina defensive end Quinton Coples in the first round, veteran Mike DeVito restructured his contract.

DeVito had been scheduled to earn a $2.26 million base salary in the final year of the extension he signed in 2009. In a restructured deal he agreed to last week, he will earn a base salary of $700,000, fully guaranteed, according to NFL Players Association records.

The $500,000 roster bonus he already received this offseason, as well as his $350,000 workout bonus, are intact in his restructured deal. He also received a $950,000 signing bonus, making his total compensation this year $2.5 million.

His cap number, and total compensation, reduced by about $600,000 in the restructure. Since he is due a guaranteed $2.5 million, it is essentially assured that the team will not cut him.

However, the contract also includes a $750,000 escalator, based on playing time, so DeVito has the opportunity to earn his money back. From the Jets' perspective, if Coples takes on the role coach Rex Ryan has indicated he will, they wouldn't have to play that money.

Ryan has already said that Coples, drafted No. 16 overall, will start, though he hedged a bit by pointing out that the Jets use many different defensive packages and fronts, so “starter” is a loose term. Still, it is clear that Ryan intends to make Coples a significant part of the defense, which could in turn reduce DeVito’s role. But DeVito also has the incentive to make sure that doesn't happen.

“I know (DeVito) is a tremendous player,” Ryan said after the draft. “To explain his exact role right now, I don't feel like I can do that right now.”

DeVito originally came to the Jets as an undrafted free agent in 2007 and has been an important part of their defensive line. He played in 12 games last season with 11 starts, missing four games with two separate knee injuries. The Jets announced in January that DeVito had offseason shoulder surgery.

In addition to DeVito taking a pay cut last week, the Jets also cut defensive lineman Ropati Pitoitua, a pair of changes very likely tied into the addition of Coples.

© 2012 NJ.com. All rights reserved.

#2 Ryno the Jet

Ryno the Jet

AGS WIN

• Members
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 02:46 PM

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

http://espn.go.com/b..._medium=twitter

DeVito takes $610k pay cut
By Rich Cimini

When the draft was over, Rex Ryan couldn't say enough nice things about DE Mike DeVito, who essentially lost his starting job the moment the Jets drafted Quinton Coples. Ryan called DeVito an "outstanding football player," turning nostalgic by saying DeVito was the first undrafted free agent on his watch to receive a contract extension.

A few days later, the Jets cut his pay. Cold business, the NFL.

DeVito took a $610,000 pay cut for 2012, the final year of his contract, according to NFL Players' Association records. It was first reported Tuesday by the Star-Ledger of Newark.

Here are the details: He will earn $2.5 million this season, including a $700,000 base salary, a $950,000 signing bonus, a $500,000 roster bonus and a $350,000 workout bonus, according to a source.

Before the restructuring, DeVito was to earn $3.11 million, including a $2.26 million base salary. Basically, he agreed to the pay cut, probably fearing for his roster spot, in exchange for fully guaranteed compensation in 2012. They threw in a $750,000 escalator, based on playing time, giving him the chance to recoup the lost money.

DeVito has been a good solider for the Jets, playing through a knee injury last season. (He ended up missing four games.) He's a well-respected player in the locker room, a blue-collar worker who shows up, says little and does his job. Every team needs a few Mike DeVitos, a classic overachiever. Yet for all his efforts, he gets a pay cut. This is why players hold out.

The Jets have $8.4 million in salary-cap room (not counting rookies), according to a source, so it's not like they needed the space. Perhaps it's an indication they expect to be active in the post-draft free-agent market. We all know they still have some holes to fill.

In other contract news, PK Josh Brown, who signed a one-year deal last week, received $825,000 in base pay, plus a $30,000 signing bonus and a $5,000 roster bonus, according to a source.

#3 Ryno the Jet

Ryno the Jet

AGS WIN

• Members
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 02:47 PM

Jets planning to redo Revis?

#4 pointman

pointman

sandwiches are good.

• Members
  • 5,816 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 02:49 PM

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

http://espn.go.com/b..._medium=twitter

DeVito takes $610k pay cut
By Rich Cimini

DeVito has been a good solider for the Jets, playing through a knee injury last season.

Whats a "solider", Cimini? You idiot.

#5 The Crusher

The Crusher

Comeback Player of the year 2016

• Moderators
  • 29,127 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 03:07 PM

Jets planning to redo Revis?

Yeah that 600 k won;t even pay Rex's part of the tab at Roscoe's.

#6 BurnleyJet

BurnleyJet

Fan for 30 years (You get less for Murder these days!)

• Members
  • 2,344 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 03:10 PM

I like Mike, I wonder if the Jets plan to bring him back next year? - I know hes a pretty one dimensional player being a run stuffer but he's still only 27 and I'd hate to see him picked up by the Pats at the end of the season.
I hope they work something out for him in the offseason. He's a New York guy, and I like him in our D-line rotation.

Edited by BurnleyJet, 08 May 2012 - 03:11 PM.

#7 flgreen

flgreen

3rd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 16,619 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 03:11 PM

"Yet for all his efforts, he gets a pay cut. This is why players hold out. "

He was also a player who walked in off the street with very little "Combine" type WOW numbers. Was given a chance to compete in a defense that highlighted his skills, which weren't really measurable, paid while he developed. Has already earned several million over the last two years. Was well paid last year while he was injured, and is guaranteed $2,500,000 for this years work.

When he left college it probably look like he was going to be a phy ed teacher. (Don't have a clue what his major was)

I'll bet bet DeVito is pretty happy how it all worked out

#8 Larz

Larz

High priest of Syrinx

• Members
  • 17,397 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 03:14 PM

well, he could get a real job
Like so many Americans, she was trying to construct a life that made sense from things she found in gift shops.

#9 slats

slats

9 5/8" hands

• Moderators
  • 19,051 posts
  • LocationAcross the Universe

Posted 08 May 2012 - 03:20 PM

"Yet for all his efforts, he gets a pay cut. This is why players hold out. "

He was also a player who walked in off the street with very little "Combine" type WOW numbers. Was given a chance to compete in a defense that highlighted his skills, which weren't really measurable, paid while he developed. Has already earned several million over the last two years. Was well paid last year while he was injured, and is guaranteed $2,500,000 for this years work.

When he left college it probably look like he was going to be a phy ed teacher. (Don't have a clue what his major was)

I'll bet bet DeVito is pretty happy how it all worked out

well, he could get a real job

I'll never get why fans are so quick to side with management in these issues. This is typical of Tannenbaum, coming to a player after the FA period has effectively ended to inform him that they'll be cutting the guy's pay. I don't care what the man's origins might be, this is a scummy move. The "honorable thing" would be to do this before the FA signing period begins. If the Jets aren't going to want to pay him, at least they can give him a chance to get paid somewhere else. The Jets break contracts like this all the time.

I can't wait 'til Revis' next holdout so I can vehemently support him once again.
back in my room
wish you were dead
you bawl like the baby
in Eraserhead

#10 KSJets

KSJets

The Hammer

• Members
  • 4,175 posts
  • LocationPlainsboro, NJ

Posted 08 May 2012 - 03:26 PM

Whats a "solider", Cimini? You idiot.

Even better, when he tweeted about Josh Brown's contract terms, he said he received a $5 roster bonus. The fool never proofreads anything he writes.
"This "breaking news" was addressed a few weeks ago. The Pats suck and all of their accomplishments are bogus as they cheated." - Gainzo

#11 T0mShane

T0mShane

Gluten for punishment

• Members
  • 26,129 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 03:32 PM

I'll never get why fans are so quick to side with management in these issues. This is typical of Tannenbaum, coming to a player after the FA period has effectively ended to inform him that they'll be cutting the guy's pay. I don't care what the man's origins might be, this is a scummy move. The "honorable thing" would be to do this before the FA signing period begins. If the Jets aren't going to want to pay him, at least they can give him a chance to get paid somewhere else. The Jets break contracts like this all the time.

I can't wait 'til Revis' next holdout so I can vehemently support him once again.

+1,000,000

Loyalty is such a fun word to throw around in the NFL.
Well, that's the internet, man: 9 billion tough guys who secretly want to touch your pee-pee.

#12 KSJets

KSJets

The Hammer

• Members
  • 4,175 posts
  • LocationPlainsboro, NJ

Posted 08 May 2012 - 03:34 PM

+1,000,000

Neither teams or players are loyal when it comes to contracts in the NFL. Sad but true.
"This "breaking news" was addressed a few weeks ago. The Pats suck and all of their accomplishments are bogus as they cheated." - Gainzo

#13 JonEJet

JonEJet

NFL Alumni

• Banned
  • 14,112 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 03:39 PM

+1,000,000

Not a fan of this move whatsoever....Vito is a good soldier, and a solid locker room guy.....Not too sure why teams need to do this to their veteran guys.

But don't throw Tanny under the bus.....most teams use this same tactic.

Posted Image

#14 T0mShane

T0mShane

Gluten for punishment

• Members
  • 26,129 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 03:41 PM

Not a fan of this move whatsoever....Vito is a good soldier, and a solid locker room guy.....Not too sure why teams need to do this to their veteran guys.

But don't throw Tanny under the bus.....most teams use this same tactic.

Would you mind if I re-posted this for you when Revis holds out?
Well, that's the internet, man: 9 billion tough guys who secretly want to touch your pee-pee.

#15 RutgersJetFan

RutgersJetFan

Bring me Solo and the Wookie

• Members
  • 15,995 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 03:42 PM

Oh the humanity.

(Chandler)'s a nice piece as long as he's the 7th most important player on your roster....I think they're going to be disappointed when they see he's just a pumped-up Drew Gooden.

#16 T0mShane

T0mShane

Gluten for punishment

• Members
  • 26,129 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 03:43 PM

Neither teams or players are loyal when it comes to contracts in the NFL. Sad but true.

True. It's interesting from the fan's side, watching how they'll hate on a player who holds out. If a player doesn't squeeze the team for every penny they can get while they have any leverage at all, that's money they're leaving on the table.

#17 KSJets

KSJets

The Hammer

• Members
  • 4,175 posts
  • LocationPlainsboro, NJ

Posted 08 May 2012 - 03:59 PM

I will always side with the players though. Their contracts aren't guaranteed. If they have a great year, the team is like "honor your contract". If the player has a poor year it's "you'll have to take a pay cut". The day I see a coach or GM take a pay cut for the team performing poorly is the day I may side with management.

#18 JonEJet

JonEJet

NFL Alumni

• Banned
  • 14,112 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:01 PM

Would you mind if I re-posted this for you when Revis holds out?

Pretty sure Revis holds out...so I won't be shocked about it whatsoever

Posted Image

#19 HessStation

HessStation

FightThePower

• Members
  • 23,696 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:08 PM

So why do I care to pay attention to this crap?? *turns to look at self in mirror*

#20 SenorGato

SenorGato

Schottenhomer

• Members
  • 20,192 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:09 PM

Why are they making so much room for a lazy draft pick they didn't want and sat last week?

We sick an' tired of-a your ism-skism game. Dyin' 'n' goin' to heaven in-a Jesus' name, Lord. We know when we understand:

Almighty God is a living man. - Bob Marley "Get up Stand up"

#21 #27TheDominator

#27TheDominator

Forza Rhinos!

• Members
  • 27,221 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:26 PM

I usually side with the player, but I don't see how this move is so bad for him. The guaranteed some salary and he gave some up. The evil thing to do would be evaluate Coples and if he turns ou good, cut Devito right before the season.

by Angel crazy with over 3000 post some day 

#22 T0mShane

T0mShane

Gluten for punishment

• Members
  • 26,129 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:52 PM

Why are they making so much room for a lazy draft pick they didn't want and sat last week?

+1 He's J. Peppers, obv. Peep the 40z

#23 will

will

2nd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:00 PM

The difference from a fan's perspective is that if the Jets pay less to a player then they have more with which to pay other players. Conversely, if Revis gets more of the salary cap pie then the Jets will have less money with which to restock the roster. But I'm sure you know this.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#24 SenorGato

SenorGato

Schottenhomer

• Members
  • 20,192 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:03 PM

+1 He's J. Peppers, obv. Peep the 40z

At LEAST Julius Peppers.

We sick an' tired of-a your ism-skism game. Dyin' 'n' goin' to heaven in-a Jesus' name, Lord. We know when we understand:

Almighty God is a living man. - Bob Marley "Get up Stand up"

#25 T0mShane

T0mShane

Gluten for punishment

• Members
  • 26,129 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:07 PM

At LEAST Julius Peppers.

AT LEAST!!! :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users