Can Ganaway be our feature back?

jetfan4hire

Tony S, denotes his backs A backs or B backs.

A backs are bigger do the dirty inside running, B backs are smaller quicker. He's not into the Convensional Full Back, hence the coments from Mike T the other week about Conner being "On the team for now".

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nope.

So in other words, Greene is better in every way other than catching, yet you MIGHT take Woodhead over Greene? K.

Um, no. That's messed up of you to selectively quote me!

I also said that Woodhead is more explosive. I.E., faster with more agility.

Woodhead would definitely beat Greene in an agility drill. He would probably also beat him in a sprint.

Greene and Ganaway are pretty much the same.

And is there any player on the Jets you ****ers don't dislike??

Of course there are, whichever Jets players were mostly recently cut then signed by another team and/or traded away are no doubt sure fire hall of famers.

Greene and Ganaway are pretty much the same.

And is there any player on the Jets you ****ers don't dislike??

Guys I don't dislike: Keller, Kerley, Mangold, Brick, Slauson, Moore, Conner, Harris, Thomas, Cro, Pace, Scott, DeVito, Pouha, Wilkerson, all the other d-linemen.

Greene's playing for that second contract, so that certainly helps us. Powell never really got a shot last year, but he looked tiny and tentative with limited reps. Apparently he's gotten bigger this offseason so we'll see.

Ganaway looks like a load and a nice downhill runner....who know's though, he's a 6th round pick.

McKnight is a fringe roster guy at this point, unless Rex has serious plans on playing him both ways.

Tannenbaum said he wanted McKnight to improve his lower body strength. That was the only way they would consider him to be a RB if he got stronger.

Curious to see if McKnight did that.

i suspect they keep 5 RB. Greene & Ganaway as the Thumpers and McKnight & Powell as the Scat Backs with Conner as the FB.

It's been reported that Sparano already has Greene and Ganaway listed as his A backs, and McKnight and Powell listed as B backs. Presumably, the B backs are the receivers because the A backs aren't. I don't know if he had Ronnie Brown as an A and Ricky Williams as a B in Miami. I do know he went to the wildcat to get both those players on the field at the same time more. I wonder how much he'll have an A and a B on the field at the same time. I hope it's quite a bit.

I do think that with LT gone, that the newly designated B backs should get a lot of reps. McKnight shows straightaway speed, but really lacks the shiftiness I'd like to see in. 3rd down back. I'm looking forward to seeing what Powell can do with a full training camp and plenty of practice reps.

This board monumentally undervalues Shonn Greene. He is a solid back and did solid duty as the feature back. He's not Adrian Peterson. Big ******* Deal. I hope that Ganaway can become a feature back, but I remember reading this sh*t about Powell last year and he ran like a scared Girl Scout. Hopefully a full camp and simplified offense will help.

I don't think they have anything against playing rookie backs. It's an interesting point that Bleedin raised, but I don't really buy it. Rookies take time and will always play more towards the end of the year rather than the start. Greene got plenty of run. Pretty sure Leon did too, but that was back in ths dark ages (Barlow, Blaylock) McKnight didn't, but McKnight also was famously out of shape, doesn't seem to have the power needed for real carries and was playing behind a couple of solid backs. Powell looked like sh*t when he got carries, so why should he have gotten more?

This board monumentally undervalues Shonn Greene. He is a solid back and did solid duty as the feature back.

He's just OK. He does some good things - he holds onto the ball well, he punishes defenders with strength and he blocks decently.

On the downside, he's not agile: you rarely see him make moves to get out of trouble, the only time he breaks away for a touchdown is when you give him a wide open field. His footspeed is limited. He's also not a threat in the passing game. He's an injury risk.

I don't think he's a feature back. He might be a 1A back in a 1A/1B type split, but definitely not a pure 1.

He's just OK. He does some good things - he holds onto the ball well, he punishes defenders with strength and he blocks decently.

On the downside, he's not agile: you rarely see him make moves to get out of trouble, the only time he breaks away for a touchdown is when you give him a wide open field. His footspeed is limited. He's also not a threat in the passing game. He's an injury risk.

I don't think he's a feature back. He might be a 1A back in a 1A/1B type split, but definitely not a pure 1.

He broke plenty for TDs before last season. I know everybody thinks that was just punishing tired teams, but the offensive line took a huge step back and I blame that. Remember the Pats playoff game - go to sleep. He did enough of that and I think his footspeed and agility are fine. He's more of a #1 than Ahmad Bradshaw and/or Brandon Jacobs and they won two of the past five super bowls. Never mind the crap that Green Bay was trotting out there.

He broke plenty for TDs before last season. I know everybody thinks that was just punishing tired teams, but the offensive line took a huge step back and I blame that. Remember the Pats playoff game - go to sleep. He did enough of that and I think his footspeed and agility are fine. He's more of a #1 than Ahmad Bradshaw and/or Brandon Jacobs and they won two of the past five super bowls. Never mind the crap that Green Bay was trotting out there.

I can see how you would put him in a category with Jacobs. Unfortunately, we don't have a Bradshaw.

Fair enough. I put him considerably ahead of Jacobs. Bradshaw is a strange case, but he is consistently hurt and would also be murdered on this board.

Probably. Maybe the problem is different altogether. Maybe the problem is that our backs NEED to be considerably better than the Giants, since running is our bread and butter. That is not the case with the Giants.

It's been reported that Sparano already has Greene and Ganaway listed as his A backs, and McKnight and Powell listed as B backs. Presumably, the B backs are the receivers because the A backs aren't. I don't know if he had Ronnie Brown as an A and Ricky Williams as a B in Miami. I do know he went to the wildcat to get both those players on the field at the same time more. I wonder how much he'll have an A and a B on the field at the same time. I hope it's quite a bit.

I do think that with LT gone, that the newly designated B backs should get a lot of reps. McKnight shows straightaway speed, but really lacks the shiftiness I'd like to see in. 3rd down back. I'm looking forward to seeing what Powell can do with a full training camp and plenty of practice reps.

Keeping Shonn healthy and fresh would be good for the team. The best way to do that is by spreading the work load. Ganaway's size alone makes him intriguing.

Thankfully all of that shift will be gone...hopefully. I hated all of that presnap BS out of the base offense, it only served to confuse the Jets more than the opponent. At least when Tebow's in you know we'll be seeing some crazy formations, but the base offense should be "here we are, this is what we're doing, we're running it down your throat, now try to stop us".

Tebow will not be in so no we won't be seeing crazy formations - at least as the QB. Special teams and maybe to run the ball? Yes. But when he is in, it will be obvious to the other team that we are up to something. I think every team we play against this year has looked at our schedule and is already preparing for wildcat plays and other options.

After stepping back and researching the college career of the newly drafted players, I have to say I am pretty pleased with our selection. I do not think the fact Ganaway being drafted in the 6th is a pressing issue that defines his performance. The entire draft was full of surprising picks (cough, Seahawks, cough). For example - there is a reason Ingram was passed up by other teams other than the Jets. With that said, Ganaway would succeed (with the golden touch of Jets training of course) as a starting RB. He kicked a$$ in college, can block and pick up a short pass for a successful ground and pound, and he's a big dude. He may "push" Shonn to improve his performance considering he may be a goner next year. And I use the term "push" loosely, because I feel like that's the model Jets upper management is trying to enforce lately - aka - Tebow will "push" Mark. Blah blah blah.

He kicked a$$ in college

They all kick a$$ in college. Even Mr. Irrelevant kicks a$$ in college. The round anyone gets drafted in certainly matters, otherwise success rates would be a non-inferable thing. Every once in a while you land someone that can develop over a few years in the 6th or 7th. But in those two rounds it's such a crapshoot; some teams are drafting prospects they didn't scout more than ones they've simply checked off the 'don't draft' list at that point. The success rate is something like 10%. Out of the 5 guys we got in those 2 rounds, if 1 winds up being a starter for a few years (i.e. Slauson, or even Coleman) that's a huge win. But the general drop-off after the 5th in any draft is legit. Examples are aplenty sure, but it's not a probabilistic thing.

i suspect they keep 5 RB. Greene & Ganaway as the Thumpers and McKnight & Powell as the Scat Backs with Conner as the FB.

If this winds up happening it's going to be a problem. Because the space for that extra is going to be coming from the OL or LB's. Two areas that the Jets can not afford to schtup next season.

I still remember Mangini's last season. There was one point where we were carrying something like 4 QB's and I think 3 punters because of injuries. And there was one other position that was wacked out too. Weirest active roster I've ever seen.

After stepping back and researching the college career of the newly drafted players, I have to say I am pretty pleased with our selection. I do not think the fact Ganaway being drafted in the 6th is a pressing issue that defines his performance. The entire draft was full of surprising picks (cough, Seahawks, cough). For example - there is a reason Ingram was passed up by other teams other than the Jets. With that said, Ganaway would succeed (with the golden touch of Jets training of course) as a starting RB. He kicked a$$ in college, can block and pick up a short pass for a successful ground and pound, and he's a big dude. He may "push" Shonn to improve his performance considering he may be a goner next year. And I use the term "push" loosely, because I feel like that's the model Jets upper management is trying to enforce lately - aka - Tebow will "push" Mark. Blah blah blah.

Mark Sanchez sucks. How do I know? Because I don't have a crush on him.

Running back thread? Nawww, can't have that!

Mark Sanchez sucks. How do I know? Because I don't have a crush on him.

Running back thread? Nawww, can't have that!

Poor typical miserable man -

My reason for supporting Mark is NO WAY near highschool crush status.

Guess you do not know many girls that actually watch the game and not the commercials.

Sanchez sucks but I'd still f*ck him.

Back to the original thread, I'd like to hear that Sparano is riding McKnight to see if he'll ever be able to get significant time in the backfield. If McKnight doesn't respond, move on. Not that Ganaway is the answer, but I have no doubt that Schottenheimer's cluelessness hampered the development of any offensive talent here. Maybe Sparano is more focused on tough love and teaching. Maybe.

Poor typical miserable man -

My reason for supporting Mark is NO WAY near highschool crush status.

Guess you do not know many girls that actually watch the game and not the commercials.

will you follow him to his next team?

Tebow will not be in so no we won't be seeing crazy formations - at least as the QB. Special teams and maybe to run the ball? Yes. But when he is in, it will be obvious to the other team that we are up to something. I think every team we play against this year has looked at our schedule and is already preparing for wildcat plays and other options.

Want to make a bet on Tebow seeing snaps at QB?

Want to make a bet on Tebow seeing snaps at QB?

He will definitely see snaps at QB this year. The Jets have said once they go up by 30 they are going to pull Sanchez out and keep him healthy. Expect a lot of action for Timmy Tebow.

This board monumentally undervalues Shonn Greene. He is a solid back and did solid duty as the feature back. He's not Adrian Peterson. Big ******* Deal. I hope that Ganaway can become a feature back, but I remember reading this sh*t about Powell last year and he ran like a scared Girl Scout. Hopefully a full camp and simplified offense will help.

I don't think they have anything against playing rookie backs. It's an interesting point that Bleedin raised, but I don't really buy it. Rookies take time and will always play more towards the end of the year rather than the start. Greene got plenty of run. Pretty sure Leon did too, but that was back in ths dark ages (Barlow, Blaylock) McKnight didn't, but McKnight also was famously out of shape, doesn't seem to have the power needed for real carries and was playing behind a couple of solid backs. Powell looked like sh*t when he got carries, so why should he have gotten more?

I was down on Shonn but last year it is like the light bulb went on for him. He figured out how to play through the pain. That was huge...huge. In a contract year, he is going to do everything possible to get to 1,200 yards or so. The fact that he can't catch really hurts him though.

I dont know why McKnight is viewed as on the fringe while Powell is not. McKnight contributes big time on special teams albeit he fumbles a lot.

McKnight isn't on the fringe. What is up for question is the roll he will play as a RB.

Sanchez sucks but I'd still f*ck him.

Back to the original thread, I'd like to hear that Sparano is riding McKnight to see if he'll ever be able to get significant time in the backfield. If McKnight doesn't respond, move on. Not that Ganaway is the answer, but I have no doubt that Schottenheimer's cluelessness hampered the development of any offensive talent here. Maybe Sparano is more focused on tough love and teaching. Maybe.

Move on? Why? I'm not sure what they guy can actually provide as a runner, but he is a productive player on specials and he can catch. I'd have expected him to be used in the slot a bit, but I guess Kerley has made that uncessary. There is no reason to "move on" because the guy is cheap and they aren't counting on much from him. If they were counting on McKnight they probably wouldn't have drafted Powell and Ganaway in the first place.

I was down on Shonn but last year it is like the light bulb went on for him. He figured out how to play through the pain. That was huge...huge. In a contract year, he is going to do everything possible to get to 1,200 yards or so. The fact that he can't catch really hurts him though.

That may be part of the reason people are down on him. He may be going a little less all out on every down to preserve himself. Seemed to be more on an instance of less/smaller holes, but that could also have contributed.

Archived