Can Ganaway be our feature back?

jetfan4hire

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i thought everyone "undervalued" greene because he stunk it up last year. Yeah the line wasn't the best on one side. But most teams don't have two great sides or one great side for that matter. I don't understand all the people who think green is a premier or solid feature back. The numbers don't support it, watching him doesn't support it. Don't get me wrong he isn't horrible, hes probably not even that bad, but he ain't that good either.

broke thomas jones, well I wont go there I want to stay on topic. This kid Ganaway seems to have some great attributes and from what I have been led to believe by the team and annalists this guys has the qualities of a 2nd or 3rd rounder. I love that he is big strong and produced a bunch of great numbers. I think he will win the starting job from greene. It will be a shared role at first but come mid season it will be this kid as the 1 and greene as the 2.

And if you dont agree with me your probably crazy and eat crazy glue.

I was down on Shonn but last year it is like the light bulb went on for him. He figured out how to play through the pain. That was huge...huge. In a contract year, he is going to do everything possible to get to 1,200 yards or so. The fact that he can't catch really hurts him though.

when did the light bulb go on? from where I was watching the only time the lights were on was when no one was around him. wind tackled this guys last year. He had all the impact of a wet tissue hitting the tackles and trying to get past the line of scrimmage.

I wish this guy would have lived up the games he had in the playoff that one year. But much like the pencil it was a feat of a combination of forces. tired football player, fresh legs, and all eyes watching. Oh and weak a$$ cromartie who decided not to get hit.

Ever since then we have wanted to see the big monster greene come out, but nothing has appeared. this contract year will tell us alot. Maybe he was a victim of shotty, I mean he was stacked on a lot every-time he ran because everyone on the field and watching at home knew when he was running and most knew where he was running to. So this year we will see, I hope has the lightbulb lit, but I really have a feeling this kid ganaway will take the job from his non agile, slow behind.

i thought everyone "undervalued" greene because he stunk it up last year. Yeah the line wasn't the best on one side. But most teams don't have two great sides or one great side for that matter. I don't understand all the people who think green is a premier or solid feature back. The numbers don't support it, watching him doesn't support it. Don't get me wrong he isn't horrible, hes probably not even that bad, but he ain't that good either.

broke thomas jones, well I wont go there I want to stay on topic. This kid Ganaway seems to have some great attributes and from what I have been led to believe by the team and annalists this guys has the qualities of a 2nd or 3rd rounder. I love that he is big strong and produced a bunch of great numbers. I think he will win the starting job from greene. It will be a shared role at first but come mid season it will be this kid as the 1 and greene as the 2.

And if you dont agree with me your probably crazy and eat crazy glue.

Production > attributes

The team *might* have Ganaway with third round grade, but they ACTUALLY traded up to draft Greene in the third round and said that they had him as the #1 back in that draft ( the Jets FO routinely says that after the draft lately - see Ducasse, Hill, etc.)

Greene "stunk it up last year" getting over 1,000 yards, over 4.2 ypc and 6 TDs. Those are not bad numbers, especially when you consider how piss poor the pass O often looked. They aren't pro bowl numbers, but they do say "feature back" to me and are pretty much fine for a starter anywhere. They certainly aren't "he will lose his starting job to a 6th rounder" numbers.

when did the light bulb go on? from where I was watching the only time the lights were on was when no one was around him. wind tackled this guys last year. He had all the impact of a wet tissue hitting the tackles and trying to get past the line of scrimmage.

I wish this guy would have lived up the games he had in the playoff that one year. But much like the pencil it was a feat of a combination of forces. tired football player, fresh legs, and all eyes watching. Oh and weak a$$ cromartie who decided not to get hit.

Ever since then we have wanted to see the big monster greene come out, but nothing has appeared. this contract year will tell us alot. Maybe he was a victim of shotty, I mean he was stacked on a lot every-time he ran because everyone on the field and watching at home knew when he was running and most knew where he was running to. So this year we will see, I hope has the lightbulb lit, but I really have a feeling this kid ganaway will take the job from his non agile, slow behind.

About half way through the year I really got the sense he was battling. Each tackle seems like it hurt with his rib injury but he seemed to start to playing through it. Getting up quicker, earlier in the year he seemed like he was about to die after each tackle.

So this year we will see, I hope has the lightbulb lit, but I really have a feeling this kid ganaway will take the job from his non agile, slow behind.

Shonn Greene ran a 4.62 40 at the combine, and then 4.55 at his pro day. Ganaway ran 4.67/4.54 respectively. I don't think speed is really going to be the difference.

Tannenbaum said he wanted McKnight to improve his lower body strength. That was the only way they would consider him to be a RB if he got stronger.

Curious to see if McKnight did that.

Pauline mentioned him being 215 maybe a few weeks before the draft this year.

Production > attributes

The team *might* have Ganaway with third round grade, but they ACTUALLY traded up to draft Greene in the third round and said that they had him as the #1 back in that draft ( the Jets FO routinely says that after the draft lately - see Ducasse, Hill, etc.)

Greene "stunk it up last year" getting over 1,000 yards, over 4.2 ypc and 6 TDs. Those are not bad numbers, especially when you consider how piss poor the pass O often looked. They aren't pro bowl numbers, but they do say "feature back" to me and are pretty much fine for a starter anywhere. They certainly aren't "he will lose his starting job to a 6th rounder" numbers.

same office that said they had hill at number one, and couples over everyone else, and any other number of things.....but as far as the "lose starting job to 6th rounder" yeah you probably right there...but I really hope he does..

About half way through the year I really got the sense he was battling. Each tackle seems like it hurt with his rib injury but he seemed to start to playing through it. Getting up quicker, earlier in the year he seemed like he was about to die after each tackle.

But don't you think if he starts the year like he did last season, ganaway will get his shot and more reps...and if so, dont you think this kid could steel the job from him?

But don't you think if he starts the year like he did last season, ganaway will get his shot and more reps...and if so, dont you think this kid could steel the job from him?

everyone is focused on how Greene performed, we should be focused on Ganaway's ability. That's the bigger question. I am not sure how exactly he's an upgrade over Greene.

ALot of posts amount to "any warm body would be better than X" with X being Sanchez, Greene, Hunter, Eric Smith etc. These rooks have to prove themselves.

everyone is focused on how Greene performed, we should be focused on Ganaway's ability. That's the bigger question. I am not sure how exactly he's an upgrade over Greene.

ALot of posts amount to "any warm body would be better than X" with X being Sanchez, Greene, Hunter, Eric Smith etc. These rooks have to prove themselves.

Stop making sense this is a Jets board.

Exactly right, so say green and ganaway have some sort of split during the season on carries. Say 90/10 70/30 whatever Im just saying if green sucks it up and ganaway takes off, i don't think sporano is going to pull a shotty and be like well green couldn't get the first for the last three games, so he sure is due, put him in there and run up the gut on our next thirteen first and second downs...

also I just saw I misspelled "steal" that's embarrassing

Well I haven't seen enough from Ganaway to say that he is an upgrade over Shonn. Truth be told I have always said that Shonn is ideally a # 2 back. I just think his running style isn't conducive to getting 320 carries a year. His pass catching ability really has a negative impact on Mark's completion percentage.

Bottom line is the Jets need multiple backs.

Maybe not this year, but by RB standards Greene gets nicked too often. If Gannaway isn't constantly breaking nails in game then we might have a shot at a more durable Greene.

Well I haven't seen enough from Ganaway to say that he is an upgrade over Shonn. Truth be told I have always said that Shonn is ideally a # 2 back. I just think his running style isn't conducive to getting 320 carries a year. His pass catching ability really has a negative impact on Mark's completion percentage.

Bottom line is the Jets need multiple backs.

I was hoping the Jets would draft a speedy, pass catching RB. Particularly, I liked Lamar Miller in the 3rd. Oh well.

Shonn's in his contract year, and Ganaway is penciled into Sparano's system as the backup at the A back spot. The significance there is that I think Shonn either has to play like a guy tends to play on his contract year, or the Jets just drafted his replacement for 2013 when they simply let Shonn walk.

I still think Powell is the team's most complete back on paper, and that Jet fans have rushed to judgement on a kid who has yet to have a pro offseason program. I'm looking forward to seeing what he does this summer.

I was hoping the Jets would draft a speedy, pass catching RB. Particularly, I liked Lamar Miller in the 3rd. Oh well.

Shonn's in his contract year, and Ganaway is penciled into Sparano's system as the backup at the A back spot. The significance there is that I think Shonn either has to play like a guy tends to play on his contract year, or the Jets just drafted his replacement for 2013 when they simply let Shonn walk.

I still think Powell is the team's most complete back on paper, and that Jet fans have rushed to judgement on a kid who has yet to have a pro offseason program. I'm looking forward to seeing what he does this summer.

Not to mention Powell ran behind our horrible back up O-Lineman in last years preseason and got Hammered along with McElroy. We certainly need to see more from Powell

Greene had 1050 yards with sh*tty as the OC, let's see what he can do with Sporano as OC. Bush almost doubled his best rushing total under him and still had 300 yards catching the ball.

So this time next year I'm seeing 2100 for Greene with ~300 yards receiving.

shonne greenes catching ability is comparable to a fat lady catching nutritional food.

Hopefully he worked on it this offseason. Not sure it will matter though. He caught like 3 balls in college, something crazy like that.

I don't think Greene has inherently bad hands. I've seen him make some nice grabs. There are several things that could contribute to his poor pass catching - he doesn't have a receiver mentality, he wears big shoulder pads that limit his range, he is a grinder and takes a ton of contact and it seems like he is an afterthought in the passing game. Doesn't mean he is going to turn into Larry Centers, but ^if* they want him to catch more passes he probably could be set up as a reasonable pass catcher, rather than the detriment he has been. I tend to think Sparano won't expect or want him to catch more balls, but hopefully we'll see plenty of that from McKnight this year.

I don't think Greene has inherently bad hands. I've seen him make some nice grabs. There are several things that could contribute to his poor pass catching - he doesn't have a receiver mentality, he wears big shoulder pads that limit his range, he is a grinder and takes a ton of contact and it seems like he is an afterthought in the passing game.

He has small hands. This was a knock on him in the draft as a potential fumbler, and will always be an issue for him as a receiver.

I tend to think Sparano won't expect or want him to catch more balls, but hopefully we'll see plenty of that from McKnight this year.

I hope Sparano's A and B back system means more of Greene and McKnight on the field at the same time. He's clearly separated the pass catchers from the bruisers. Ganaway had all of 12 catches over his entire college career, too.

He has small hands. This was a knock on him in the draft as a potential fumbler, and will always be an issue for him as a receiver.

I hope Sparano's A and B back system means more of Greene and McKnight on the field at the same time. He's clearly separated the pass catchers from the bruisers. Ganaway had all of 12 catches over his entire college career, too.

Good point about the hands, but many of his non-catches seem to be easier plays or lack of concentration. I think he can and will improve a bit. I didn't read too much of the A and B back stuff, but are they supposed to be on the field together all the time? I was thinking it more as third down backs being the B back and interchanging them situationally.

I didn't read too much of the A and B back stuff, but are they supposed to be on the field together all the time? I was thinking it more as third down backs being the B back and interchanging them situationally.

I don't know. I do know Sparano went with the wildcat in Miami to get Brown and Williams on the field more at the same time, though, so it's gotta be on his mind.

I don't know. I do know Sparano went with the wildcat in Miami to get Brown and Williams on the field more at the same time, though, so it's gotta be on his mind.

I'm not as concerned with Brown or Williams as much as Bush. I would like to see McKnight used like Bush. That may be his ceiling, but I think it's the production we should be aiming for with McKnight. The fact that the Sparano FO went after Bush may bode well for McKnight.

I'm not as concerned with Brown or Williams as much as Bush. I would like to see McKnight used like Bush. That may be his ceiling, but I think it's the production we should be aiming for with McKnight. The fact that the Sparano FO went after Bush may bode well for McKnight.

I was hoping the Jets would go after a speed back/receiver in the draft, rather than another plodder in Ganaway.

I think McKnight will always be looking up to the ceiling that is Reggie Bush. I've defended the player because I think the McPuke attacks are completely unfair, but that doesn't absolve the fact that Joe doesn't seem to have any natural elusiveness. There's no wiggle to him. With LT out of the picture, this -I think- is his last chance to prove himself. He's guaranteed a roster spot because of the overall weakness of the position and his strength as a returner, but I think this is a do or die year for both him and Greene.

I was hoping the Jets would go after a speed back/receiver in the draft, rather than another plodder in Ganaway.

I think McKnight will always be looking up to the ceiling that is Reggie Bush. I've defended the player because I think the McPuke attacks are completely unfair, but that doesn't absolve the fact that Joe doesn't seem to have any natural elusiveness. There's no wiggle to him. With LT out of the picture, this -I think- is his last chance to prove himself. He's guaranteed a roster spot because of the overall weakness of the position and his strength as a returner, but I think this is a do or die year for both him and Greene.

I don't know how it is going to affect him, but I read that McKnight has gained a good bit of weight in the off season so he can run more effectively between the tackles

I don't think that there is anything wrong in never reaching a "Reggie Bush ceiling". I was talking more in styles and how to utilize him. I get your point, but I think "do or die" year is a bit dramatic. They will both be in the NFL after next year and McKnight will almost certainly still be on the team because IIRC he will be an RFA. The question is how much they will be paid and how much they will be used. For those purposes this year may be very important, but then again so is every year considering how short their career usually ends up..

Archived