Jets Media Day Twittersphere

Ryno the Jet

2h bc_normal.jpgBrian Costello@BrianCoz

Hunter said Holes has been a great teammate during offseason program. "Chemistry is back" #nyj

Manish Mehta @TheJetsStream

Dustin Keller on getting contract extension before start of season: "There hasn't been much talks...I'm hopeful and that's my goal." #nyj

Jenny Vrentas@JennyVrentas

RT @ConorTOrr: Hunter: "I was the weakest link last year, last year I played like a rookie, this yr I'll play like 9 year vet." #nyj

Brian Costello@BrianCoz

Wayne Hunter said he told Santonio Holmes "clean slate" about what happened in Miami #nyj

RT @ConorTOrr: Hunter: "I am the starting right tackle." #Jets

TE Dustin Keller said Sanchez + Tebow have a good "working relationship." It's clear Sanchez is the leader, he said. #nyj

Dustin Keller on Tim Tebow: "He is a big deal. He has a great following and that's going to continue with the Jets." #nyj

Wayne Hunter says team has explained his: "I'm the starting right tackle." Later admits: "I was the weakest link last year." #nyj

Adam Schein@AdamSchein

RT @BrianCoz Wayne Hunter: "I am the starting right tackle. It's as simple as that." #WAYNEWATCH #LOUDMOUTHS #SIZZLE

Jake Steinberg@Steiny31

RT @KristianRDyer: Hunter "I'm the starting right tackle it's as simple as that." #NYJ

Kristian Dyer@KristianRDyer

Hunter "I'm the starting right tackle it's as simple as that." #NYJ

Brian Costello@BrianCoz

Wayne Hunter: "I am the starting right tackle. It's as simple as that." #nyj

Jake Steinberg@Steiny31

RT @ConorTOrr: Austin Howard said he's not out to take anybody's spot, was mentioned by GM as in the mix for RT. #Jets

Adam Schein@AdamSchein

RT @ChrisCarlinSNY Wayne Hunter: "I'm the starting right tackle." Hey, what's Everett McIver up to these days? #Jets

NFL@nfl

Which team would you like to see featured on 'Hard Knocks' this summer? Could it still be the @NYJets? http://bit.ly/JgkY8A

Josh Baker is the locker to the right of Tebow: "This is crazy...and it's only going to get bigger." #NYJ

Holmes was stone-faced when asked if he can see this turn into QB controvery: "No. No. I don't." #nyj

Santonio Holmes on Schottenheimer's system last year: "It was a little difficult to learn and understand everything." #nyj

Holmes said Schottenheimer's offense was "a little difficult" to learn at times. #nyj

Adam Schein@AdamSchein

Wayne Hunter jumped offsides 3 times during our show.

Bart Hubbuch@NYPost_Hubbuch

Holmes is very testy, very tense with the media today. I'll try to post some of the audio in a minute. #Jets

Mike Greenberg@Espngreeny

On the team or in the league? “@TheJetsStream:Wayne Hunter says"I'm the starting right tackle."Later"I was the weakest link last year." #nyj

Erik Manassy™@e_man

Live Feed / Jets Media Access #Jets #NFL http://bit.ly/INbzEB

Retweeted by Kristine ReeseDennis Waszak Jr.@DWAZ73

Holmes says things between he and Sanchez were blown out of proportion last year. #Jets

Holmes compares Sparano's offense to the Steelers' scheme he played in under (the since-fired) Bruce Arians. #Jets

Dennis Waszak Jr.@DWAZ73

Santonio can you see this turning into a QB controversy? "No. No I don't." insists Sanchez is the starter. #Jets

Shonn Greene "Mark is our starting quarterback, Tim is our backup." #NYJ #Tebow

Santonio Holmes: "It was a little difficult to understand the language" of Schottenheimer's offense.

Dennis Waszak Jr.@DWAZ73

Slauson says his surgically repaired shoulder is doing great, and think participating in minicamp is "absolutely" realistic goal. #Jets

There are approximately 50 reporters and camerafolks here for the Jets' conditioning-program open locker room. That's a lot, even for here.

Dennis Waszak Jr.@DWAZ73

Keller says Tebow & Sanchez seem to have great relationship and play jokes on each other, something you wouldn't do "on your enemy." #Jets

Kristine Reese@kristinereese

Okay everyone -- don't freak out. But... RT @ConorTOrr: Hunter: "I am the starting right tackle." #Jets

Asked what Tebow offers, Dustin Keller says, "For one, he brings more media into the locker room -- as if that's possible." #Jets

Jake Steinberg@Steiny31

RT @BlueJays: Santonio Holmes of the NY Jets wearing a @BlueJays today during their mini-camp http://twitpic.com/9jil2a

Dennis Waszak Jr.@DWAZ73

Sanchez addresses the media at #Jets' first open locker room. http://twitpic.com/9jin39

Chris Nimbley@Cnimbley

242? Wow, that's heavy for Maybin. Curious to see if he can keep it on & if it hampers is speed at all

Jake Steinberg@Steiny31

RT @KristianRDyer: Revis "Right now I'm not even thinking about contract situations." #NYJ

Dennis Waszak Jr.@DWAZ73

RT @KristianRDyer Revis "Right now I'm not even thinking about contract situations." #NYJ

Sanchez claims his feud with Holmes was "way overblown, ridiculously overblown." #Jets

Dennis Waszak Jr.@DWAZ73

Sanchez agrees with Holmes that the tension between them was "way overblown." #Jets

Revis "Right now I'm not even thinking about contract situations." #NYJ

Dennis Waszak Jr.@DWAZ73

Sanchez says "nothing has been too tough to handle" with Tebow around. #Jets

Dennis Waszak Jr.@DWAZ73

Sanchez says Tebow's presence has been "nothing but positive so far." #Jets

Rich Cimini@RichCimini

Wayne Hunter said he was told he's the starting right tackle. #Jets

Adam Schein@AdamSchein

For the record, I truly think Sparano is going to help Wayne Hunter.

Maybin weighs in at 242 now, hopes to get up to 255 "I want to be an everydown player." #NYJ

Holmes' reason for why Tebow won't be a distraction: He's been on a higher stage, "higher than what Tebow's been on." #nyj

Adam Schein@AdamSchein

RT @JennyVrentas RT Wayne Hunter said new OC Tony Sparano is "night and day" from Brian Schottenheimer. #nyj

RT Wayne Hunter said new OC Tony Sparano is "night and day" from Brian Schottenheimer. #nyj Rich Cimini@RichCimini

Dustin Keller says no substantive talks on a new contract. He's hopeful, wants to remain a Jet. Entering final yr. #Jets

Rich Cimini@RichCimini

All players saying positive things about Tebow, how well he's fitting in. Routinely shows up at 6:15 a.m. for wt. lifting. #Jets

Dennis Waszak Jr.@DWAZ73

In other news, spoke to Schlauderaff in #Jets' locker room. Was unaware that Mike T has mentioned him a dozen times this offseason.

SNY Assignment Desk@SNY_Studio

@nyjets Tim Tebow and Mark Sanchez speak to the media! Watch the entire availability on Open Mic 630pm hosted by @BCusterSNY and @AdamSchein

Retweeted by Adam Schein

RT @OtisNH @kristinereese if that dog starts trending, we all need to evaluate our lives

Ian Rapoport@RapSheet

That's the 1 RT @beaverlax2: @RapSheet what BB comments could have revis so fired up? The post game "best defense in the league" taunt?

Tom Brady wasn't the only Patriot that Darrelle Revis blistered today. I'm thinking Belichick's ears were burning about 45 minutes ago, too.

Sanchez on Sparano "He’s to the point, he’s a no-nonsense guy. He seems exactly what we need...he’s really pushing us." #NYJ

Nothing like getting retweeted by Adam Schefter to his 2 million followers. There is now smoke coming out of my iPhone.

Dennis Waszak Jr.@DWAZ73

Tim #Tebow's dog, Bronco, will be getting his name changed: "I guess we can change it to Bronx." #Jets

Dennis Waszak Jr.@DWAZ73

RT @JennyVrentas For the record, Tim Tebow doesn't live in Hoboken. "I've never even been to Hoboken!" #nyj

Thanks Twitter, for letting know that Tebow changed the name of his dog. Very important information

Adam Schein@AdamSchein

I guess Tebow doesn't like the Mets. RT @janesports Tim Tebow has a dog name "Bronco." He will be changing his name to "Bronx."

Ian Rapoport@RapSheet

So, Tebow changed his dog's name from Bronco to Bronx. But #NYJ are in Jersey. Perhaps Brick City is a good dog's name?

Tebow's dog was named Bronco. "The great part is, we can change it to Bronx," he said. #nyj

Tebow says he is still looking for a place to love and describes it as "crazy how much they want for rent up here."

Adam Schefter@AdamSchefter

Tim Tebow clearly is in a New York state of mind. RT @NYPost_Hubbuch: Tim Tebow said his dog Bronco has been renamed Bronx.

Ian Rapoport@RapSheet

This keeps getting better!! #Cantlookaway RT @JennyVrentas: Tim Tebow doesn't live in Hoboken. "I've never even been to Hoboken!"

Rich Cimini@RichCimini

Tebow says he has been practicing exclusively at QB, attending QB meetings. Offered no specifics on wildcat role. #Jets

For the record, Tim Tebow doesn't live in Hoboken. "I've never even been to Hoboken!" #nyj

bigger_normal.jpgJake Steinberg@Steiny31

Ya @KristianRDyer is a good dude. Told him to look out for you. RT @D_Marc11: @Steiny31 your boy kristian told me you said wassup man.

Tebow insists he didn't move to Hoboken and hasn't even visited there.

Brian Costello@BrianCoz

Tebow said he changed his dog's name from "Bronco" to "Bronx" #nyj

Ian Rapoport@RapSheet

Should've added BREAKING: RT @TheJetsStream: Tim Tebow will change his dog's name from Bronco to Bronx. #nyj

Tim Tebow said his dog Bronco has been renamed Bronx since the trade.

Tim Tebow will change his dog's name from Bronco to Bronx. #nyj

Tebow says he's only been in QB and offensive mtgs so far. #nyj

Asked what he thought of the area, Tebow says: "I grew up on a farm, so the New Jersey part isn't very different."

Tim Tebow on whether he's been told he'll play other positions: "They haven't told me anything." Been in QB meetings + offensive meetings

Jane McManus@janesports

Tebow said he is only working in quarterback packages. Hasn't worked in ST, as RB or TE. #jets

Retweeted by Kristine Reese

Tebow "There's a lot that's exciting about being a Jet." #NYJ

Brian Costello@BrianCoz

Tebow says he's only worked at QB so far #nyj

Tim Tebow says that every play he's taken so far in practice has been at QB. #nyj

Tebow said every rep he's taken so far has been at QB, not other positions. #nyj

Hunter praised Sparano as an OC, citing completely different approach then Schottenheimer. #NYJ

Tebow on Eli Manning Tebowing on SNL last week: "I didn't see it, but I heard it was funny. I heard he was funny and did a good job."

Dennis Waszak Jr.@DWAZ73

#Tebow says he has only worked at QB so far this offseason. How about special teams? "They haven't told me anything." #Jets

Tebow on the QB controversy "Just taking it every day...That's all we're ever given." #NYJ #Tebow

Ian Rapoport@RapSheet

This is fun!!!! RT @TheJetsStream Revis says some of the stuff Bill Belichick says about Jets are "too personal" and "disrespectful." #nyj

Dennis Waszak Jr.@DWAZ73

Tebow on if fair to say he wants to be starter? "It's fair to say I want to be the best I can be." #Jets

Ian Rapoport@RapSheet

Jets media doin work!! RT @NYPost_Hubbuch Revis agrees with Cromartie on calling Brady an a**hole: "Sometimes he is that way on the field."

Tebow talks "We're all going out there competing." #NYJ #Tebow http://twitpic.com/9jit4u

Tebow claims he is open to being the Jets' punt protector: "Whatever they want me to do, I'll do it with all my heart."

todd jason@TheJetReport

This season is going to be a madhouse.. Forget Hard Knocks. HBO should design the Jets their own 24/7 station... #Jets

Dennis Waszak Jr.@DWAZ73

Tebow on Sanchez: "He's definitely a fun-loving guy who likes to have fun ... & so do I." Doesn't want outside factors to affect friendship

todd jason@TheJetReport

Obama's historic stance, Knicks exit, Rangers game 7, miracle Mets and Mo less Yanks overshadowed today by... some #Jets at their lockers...

Dennis Waszak Jr.@DWAZ73

#Tebow says he "hopes" he's a better passer now than he was last year and has been working hard at mechanics, etc. #Jets

Chris Nimbley@Cnimbley

@kristinereese yeah, can't knock him for trying to kill 2 birds himself tho. I'm mostly curious to see if he can even keep the weight on

Rich Eisen@richeisen

Trust me, Vernon. I'm working on it. RT @OfficialVernonK: @richeisen You coming to London this yr??

Jake Steinberg@Steiny31

s/o to @D_Marc11 for hitting 1k followers.

todd jason@TheJetReport

@TheJetsStream: Revis says some of the stuff Bill Belichick says about Jets are "too personal" and "disrespectful." #nyj” BB has for years

DaMarcus Ganaway@D_Marc11

Lmao media got my boy @RAdams_11 smashed in his locker right now cause they surroundin tebow... Too funny

Retweeted by Jake Steinberg

Chris Nimbley@Cnimbley

This morning I would've placed odds at 70% he would hold out, after these comments might have to lower that to well under 50%

Tim Tebow on being backup QB: "It doesn't change my mindset." #nyj

Rich Cimini@RichCimini

Look who's talking. #Jets http://yfrog.com/oc2umfj

todd jason@TheJetReport

@NYPost_Hubbuch: Sanchez claims his feud with Holmes was "way overblown, ridiculously overblown." #Jets” in NY? Not Possible....

Tebow in the eye of the hurricane. And I don't mean Miami. #Jets http://pic.twitter.com/vajOXMS2

AsjRQZYCQAEL8kP.jpgBrian Costello@BrianCoz

Tebow on not starting: "it doesn't change my mindset." #nyj

Rich Cimini@RichCimini

Revis eludes holdout talk. Says he's "cool" with current contract. No talks between reps and #Jets.

Dennis Waszak Jr.@DWAZ73

The massive scrum around #Tebow's locker. Can you see him through the cameras? #Jets http://twitpic.com/9jiqfm

Darrelle Revis on Antonio Cromartie calling Tom Brady an "a--hole" couple years ago: "Sometimes he (does act like that) on the field." #nyj

todd jason@TheJetReport

@AdamSchein: For the record, I truly think Sparano is going to help Wayne Hunter.” so we aren't alone in thinking Hunter can rebound #jets

Chris Nimbley@Cnimbley

Of course this doesn't mean he definitely won't hold out, but those have to be joyous words to every Jets fans ears

Rich Cimini@RichCimini

Darrelle Revis rips Belichick, stands by "jerk" comment he made recently on ESPN. Says Belichick "disrespectful" to #Jets.

Erik Manassy™@e_man

@JennyVrentas: RT Wayne Hunter said new OC Tony Sparano is "night and day" from Brian Schottenheimer. #nyj” >> and that's a GOOD thing

Retweeted by todd jasonManish Mehta @TheJetsStream

Revis says some of the stuff Bill Belichick says about Jets are "too personal" and "disrespectful." #nyj

Chris Nimbley@Cnimbley

The crowd around Tebow's empty locker proves one thing & one thing only, editors want Tebow stories. Nothing else matters

But, and this is a big "but," Revis said the contract made him fairly paid "at the time."

Adam Schein@AdamSchein

Plax is very interested in playing for the Panthers. Also Cle, Oak, and Miami.

Revis on contract "I'm cool with what's going on right now. I signed a contract." #NYJ

RT @ConorTOrr: Revis said that Brady "sometimes is" what cromartie called him back in 2010. #nyj

Darrelle Revis doesn't back off calling Belichick a "jerk": Some of the smart remarks he says are ignorant." #nyj

RT @ConorTOrr: Revis said Belichick's comments, especially post game last year "why go there?" #nyj

Media crowd around empty #Tebow locker is bigger than that for Sanchez, who is talking NOW. http://twitpic.com/9jioe5

Asked if he's happy with his contract, Revis says, "I am. I'm cool. I signed it two years ago."

Revis says today he's not unhappy with his contract. "I'm cool with it. I signed it 2 years ago." #nyj

Brian Costello@BrianCoz

Revis says he's happy with his contract. "I'm cool." #nyj

Sanchez said Tebow is "as advertised." Said it remains to be seen how his package will be incorporated into the offense. #nyj

Revis agrees with Cromartie on calling Tom Brady an a**hole: "Sometimes he is that way on the field."

Media camp around an empty Tebow locker is bigger then that around Sanchez...who is talking NOW. #NYJ. #Tebow http://twitpic.com/9jioe5

Mark Sanchez says, "I'm not sick of the (Tebow) questions, but it's only May." #Jets

Is Tim Tebow amenable to playing positions other than QB? "I always put team first. Whatever they want me to do, I’ll do with all my heart"

Ian Rapoport@RapSheet

.@greggrosenthal thinks #Jets need to save their trash-talking: "Peaking too early has been a problem for them lately" http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d828ffd8e/article/revis-dodges-contract-talk-but-happily-rips-patriots?module=HP11_headline_stack

Jets' Darrelle Revis goes after Patriots coach Bill Belichick, stays mum on contract situation: Revis says Belic... http://bit.ly/JfzjPI

RT: @ConorTOrr: Revis still not sure if he'll hold out. But is sure that he thinks Bill Belichick is a jerk: http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2012/05/jets_darrelle_revis_mum_on_pos.html

Brian Costello@BrianCoz

Revis on whether he's happy with contract: "Yeah, I'm cool. I signed it two years ago. I'm not unhappy about ... http://www.sulia.com/c/new-york-jets/f/d7b64af3-8973-4bfc-9b04-e6961d3d4168/?source=twitter

Brian Costello@BrianCoz

Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis was most bothered by Bill Belichick's comments, as reported by The Post, after the ... http://www.sulia.com/c/new-york-jets/f/4c1f29de-9035-4dff-8a85-ff0075757aa6/?source=twitter

Nobody I've ever covered has moved the needle like Tebow. It's insane. He's like a one-man Beatles.

Would Darrelle Revis consider holding out again? "I don’t know. Let’s quit talking about the holding out and holding in. I’m here." #nyj

Is Darrelle Revis happy with his contract situation? "Yeah, I’m cool. I signed it two years ago. I’m not unhappy about nothing." #nyj

Wayne Hunter on Sparano: "I like him. It’s night and day from Schotty but I think it’s a good change." #NYJ

Ian Rapoport@RapSheet

Wow RT @TheJetsStream: Revis rips Bill Belichick & Brady. Calls their remarks/actions "disrespectful" & "ignorant" http://nydn.us/J3wOws #nyj

Andrew Siciliano@AndrewSiciliano

Darrelle Revis uses "ignornant" in new and creative ways. via @TheJetsStream http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jets/2012/05/darrelle-revis-rips-bill-belichick-and-tom-brady-calling-their-remarks-and-actions-disr

Ian Rapoport@RapSheet

No truth to the rumor I'll be changing my dog's name from Biscuit to Brisket with our move to Dallas #Tebow #BBQ http://blogs.nfl.com/2012/05/10/the-jets-get-a-glimpse-of-tebowmania-including-a-poor-dogs-new-name/

Love Darrelle Revis' honesty. Shredded Belichick for "ignorant" comments about #Jets last year + ripped Brady for lack of sportsmanship #nyj

Jets' Tim Tebow says he's only worked at quarterback so far: http://tinyurl.com/7yfe7ec

Darrelle Revis rips Bill Belichick & Tom Brady. Calls their remarks/actions "disrespectful" & "ignorant." Story: http://nydn.us/J3wOws #nyj

Jets' Tim Tebow says he's worked only at quarterback so far: The Jets haven't installed any wrinkles for Tebow yet http://bit.ly/JfuuWE

Maybin weighs in at 242 now, hopes to get up to 255 "I want to be an everydown player." #NYJ

No kidding, glad to hear it. If nothing else, the Jets strength and conditioning coaches have a good track record with all of this stuff. Brick had some serious weight issues his rookie year and had no problems for years up until last year when there was no offseason due to the lockout. Maybin was a pretty good rusher for the Jets last year despite limited reps, so if he can work his way onto the field more often, that's only better. The guy brings far more speed off the edge than anyone they've had since Abraham left.

RT @JennyVrentas For the record, Tim Tebow doesn't live in Hoboken. "I've never even been to Hoboken!" #nyj

Best news I've heard all offseason. Let's keep it that way.

Manish Mehta

Also in New York Jets

• #Jets Santonio Holmes on his relationship with Mark Sanchez: "From my perspective and Mark’s perspective, everything was blown out of proportion. We never had any real serious disagreements. All that stuff was just blown up form other people. We let it be. That’s why we never talked about it… That’s why we never cared to share anything about it because we know nothing happened."

• Brian Costello
    • Wayne Hunter on last season: "My worry before starting last year was being the weakest link, and that's what I was. I was the weakest link last year. This year is a whole different mentality. I played like a rookie last year. This year, I'm playing like a ninth-year veteran."

[*]

Brian Costello

• More from Wayne Hunter: "I'm the starting right tackle and that hasn't changed, whether people like it or not." #nyj

[*]

Brian Costello

• Here is what Jets RT Wayne Hunter had to say about criticism he received last year: "I took the criticism that New York gave me. It's as simple as that. If you can't handle it, don't play in New York. When it comes to the media and the fans, they have a certain expectation you have to live up to. I don't feel like I lived up to it. I had good games. I had great games. But I also had some bad games."

[*]

Brian Costello

• Revis on whether he's happy with contract: "Yeah, I'm cool. I signed it two years ago. I'm not unhappy about nothing. I think the thing I'm most happy about is just being here. I love to play football and I want us to win. I think that's the biggest thing."

[*]

Brian Costello

• Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis was most bothered by Bill Belichick's comments, as reported by The Post, after the Patriots beat the Jets last November: "The one talking about the best defense they can s--- my … all that stuff. That's just ignorant. Why go there? You won fair and square. We shook your hand after the game. We'll see you in New England or wherever in the playoffs. That's OK, but when you start saying stuff like that it gets too personal."

Tim Tebow praises Mark Sanchez, both say they’re not worried about brewing QB controversy with NY Jets

Mike Westhoff has already said that Tebow will be used on special teams

By Manish Mehta / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Thursday, May 10, 2012, 3:58 PM

image.jpg

Corey Sipkin/New York Daily News

Backup quarterback Tim Tebow tells reporters that he ‘always puts (the) team first’ when asked if he’s open to playing other positions for the Jets.

Tim Tebow, who has never been content playing second fiddle to anyone at any time in his life, took a diplomatic approach on Thursday regarding the Jets' quarterback situation. Tebow, the backup quarterback on the official depth chart, praised Mark Sanchez's leadership and reiterated his desire to help Gang Green in whatever capacity he can.

A few weeks into the off-season conditioning program, Tebow said that he has only taken practice reps at quarterback. Special teams coach Mike Westhoff told the Daily News recently that he's already spoken to Tebow about a role on his unit.

"Right now, we're just putting in the offense and installing the offense and just trying to learn that," Tebow said. "I'm sure that will take a little while. … That's our main focus right now. It's not necessarily special situations or anything like that."

Sanchez didn't appear overly concerned that Tebow has never been content being anyone's backup.

"I hope every backup quarterback wants the job of a starter," Sanchez said. "That's the way you have to prepare. I've been in those shoes in college, anticipating the game setting like I'm the starter, and then getting to the game and not playing. Fortunately for Tim, he has the ability to do other things and that's why he's on board. He's a backup quarterback first, and then he'll do plenty of other stuff."

Tebow, who led the Broncos to a playoff win last season, has made one significant change in his life since getting traded to the Jets. He changed the name of his dog from Bronco to Bronx.

Tebow said that he's not concerned about any potential quarterback controversy with Sanchez.

"We just have a good friendship and really (have to) not let outside circumstances get in the way of our friendship," Tebow said. "That's the cool thing about being friends… is we can talk. We got an open relationship."

"We're trying to push each other to get better and help each other to get better," he added. "I think we're on the same page and we want each other to do well."

Asked whether he'd be amenable to playing positions other than quarterback, Tebow said, "I always put team first. Whatever they want me to do. … I'll do with all my heart."

Tebow also denied the notion that there will be separate offenses when he's in the game.

"I just look at it as the Jets offense," Tebow said. "Whatever Coach Sparano wants to do, I'm game."

Based on his history, it's clear that Tebow won't be content merely being Sanchez's backup.

"I think it's fair to say that I always want to be my best… as good as I can possibly be," Tebow said. "Push myself to the limits just as a far as a quarterback, a passer, learning defenses, learning offenses… just trying to be the best football player that I can possibly be. That's what I'm not going to settle for anything less than."

"I'm just going to try to make myself a little bit better every day and push myself," he added.

But is there enough room on a team to have two quarterbacks that are leaders?

"On a football team, you always have a lot of leaders," Tebow said. "You always have leaders in different roles at different times. I think we're very blessed to have a lot of leaders from Santonio Holmes to Bart Scott to David Harris… a lot of guys are leading in a lot of different ways. And that's huge."

Tebow, Sanchez meet media after first day of workouts

http://www.metro.us/...day-of-workouts

KRISTIAN DYER

10 May 2012 02:30

4ee20691478683e92f739b2dce14.jpg

Rick Wilson

Tim Tebow is the most talked about backup quarterback in the NFL.

When the Jets traded for Tim Tebow on March 21, there was plenty of talk about incumbent starter Mark Sanchez having to share snaps with Tebow. It became obvious on Thursday afternoon following the team’s offseason conditioning session that Sanchez will have to share the spotlight with Tebow too.

But if there’s a controversy, neither Sanchez nor Tebow is letting on.

“I’m the kind of guy that competes against myself at all times. Whether Tim is here or there’s another backup quarterback, I’m always competing with myself first and then whoever else is in the room,” Sanchez said. “It doesn’t matter either way, but he’s been great to work with.”

So far, both players are saying the talking about making this awkward arrangement work.

“It’s been great, just working together, pushing each other, learning from each other, spending extra time in the film room, talking about college days -- different team’s that we’ve faced -- just going over things together,” Tebow said. “We’re learning a new offense, something we haven’t been in before. It’s been fun.”

But friendship aside, can they coexist? Perhaps only winning can answer that problem, but for right now, it’s all about the harmony. As Tebow said, “We’re not going to let outside circumstances affect our friendship.”

But Tebow’s already a distraction and talking point with the Jets coming off an 8-8 season where they failed to make the playoffs for the first time under Ryan. He may be the backup, but midway through Sanchez holding court outside his locker, the crowd waiting for Tebow to arrive was nearly double in size. When the Jets should be focused on getting better and improving, they’re instead being bombarded with questions about their supposed quarterback controversy.

His teammates seem in awe of the buzz around their new backup quarterback as a circle of photographers camped out for nearly 90 minutes around Tebow’s empty locker. Defensive end Mike DeVito, who was in his second year in the league in 2008 when the Jets brought in future Hall of Fame quarterback Brett Favre during preseason, likened the situation to that media swirl saying, “It’s just as big.”

But in the eyes of Tebow and teammates like Shonn Greene, Joe McKnight and Wayne Hunter -- who all reiterated that Sanchez was their starting quarterback -- there is no quarterback controversy.

“They’re two totally different leaders. You look at Mark, he’s our leader; he’s proven. I can speak for myself only, but that’s how I view him. I view him as our starter,” DeVito told Metro.

“Then Tim, there’s so many things he can do and he’s great to come in here for us. It’s exciting what he brings to the table. It adds another weapon in our arsenal.”

May 10, 2012 4:39 PM

Santonio Holmes says that he 'never had any real serious disagreements' with Mark Sanchez

BY Manish Mehta

Mark Sanchez and Santonio Holmes say that they’ve put their differences behind them. Holmes’s frustration over his lack of involvement in the offense bubbled to the surface in the run-up to the season finale against the Dolphins when he skipped a meeting organized by Sanchez. The mercurial wideout got into shouting matches with his teammates in the huddle during the game too.

Sanchez spent two different occasions in Orlando, where Holmes lives and trains, this offseason to mend fences. They worked out for a few days before the team reported back to New Jersey last month as well.

“It was good to just kind of talk, away from the building, away from football, and talk about how things didn’t go so well last year, how we can move on and get better,” Sanchez said on Thursday. “As soon as we came back, (we said) that we’d never talk about it again and let’s just move forward. That’s exactly what he’s done. That’s what I expect him to do. He expected the same from me. It was important that we had that time and now we’re back and you would never it happened.”

Sanchez characterized the perception of the rift with his wideout as “ridiculous” and “out of control” and “way overblown.”

“It gave us something to laugh about and move on,” Sanchez said. “And we’re good.”

Holmes, who said last month that he had no personal regrets for the way he behaved last season, maintained that he never really had any serious beef with his quarterback.

“From my perspective and Marks’ perspective, everything was blown out of proportion,” Holmes said. “We never had any real serious disagreements. All that stuff was just blown up from other people. We let it be. That’s why we never talked about it… That’s why we never cared to share anything about it, because we know nothing happened.”

http://twitter.com/TheJetsStream

It's so awesome to hear that there were no chemistry problems on the team last year. I was totally tricked into believing there was. Stupid CGI.

you know something Shane, Im starting to feel very confident about this upcoming season.

Thursday, May 10, 2012

Hunter, Santonio Holmes make peace

http://espn.go.com/espn/print?id=7916503&type=story

By Jane McManus

ESPNNewYork.com

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Right tackle Wayne Hunter said when he and wide receiver Santonio Holmes ran into each other on the first day of the New York Jets' offseason conditioning program, they forged a peace.

"I told him, you know what? Clean slate," Hunter said.

Holmes and Hunter blew up at each other in the huddle during the last game of the season. That loss in Miami meant missing the playoffs for the first time in three seasons, and there were questions about whether the combustible Holmes or struggling Hunter would be back on the roster. During the offseason, both got an answer from the Jets in the form of guaranteed money.

When he wasn't cut at the start of free agency, Hunter's contract became guaranteed this season for $2.45 million. A clause in Holmes' contract kicked in as well over the offseason, to the tune of $15.25 million.

Their rift between the two offensive players last season exposed a dysfunctional locker room and a team that questioned the ability of quarterback Mark Sanchez. Hunter said that Holmes has turned it around this year, from what he's seen.

"He's been great," Hunter said. "Santonio has been great. He's been doing extra stuff that people wouldn't believe, he's been doing extra with Mark. He's been doing stuff that he hasn't done in the past. He's been a team player. And it's been a good change."

Recently, offensive coordinator Tony Sparano sat down with Hunter and told him that he is the team's starting right tackle.

"Whatever happens on opening day so be it but as of right now I am the starting right tackle," Hunter said.

Hunter came under heavy criticism last season, his first as a starter after Damien Woody retired. There were games where he clearly struggled, and he admitted that and said he was committed to fixing the issues. The criticism, he said, was warranted.

"I took the criticism that New York gave me and it's as simple as that," Hunter said. "If you can't handle it, don't play in New York is what I say. When it comes to media and the fans they have certain expectations that you have to live up to, and I don't feel like I lived up to it.

"I had good games, I had great games -- but I also had some bad games. Being the new piece of the puzzle with the offensive line I didn't pick up where Woody left off, and my focus this year is to get better and I am going to get better. I'm the starting right tackle and that hasn't changed. whether people like it or not."

Matt Slauson, the team's starter at left guard, said Hunter is a team asset in a lot of ways, and supports Hunter in the spot.

"We all know in this room what Wayne can do," Slauson said. "Obviously we all want Wayne there. In our mind he's the guy if another guy comes in an takes the spot from him good for them but Wayne works his butt of every day. He is a great teammate to have on our line."

Thursday, May 10, 2012

Holmes and Hunter must play better

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/print?id=42189

By James Walker

New York Jets receiver Santonio Holmes and right tackle Wayne Hunter have made peace. The two are together again for the first time since their blowup in the regular-season finale against the Miami Dolphins.

The slate is clean, according to Hunter. That’s all good. But the reality is none of it matters unless both players can erase a disastrous 2011.

Holmes and Hunter must play better to stay together. The Jets proved last season how combustible their locker room can become when the team underachieves.

There were divisions between the offense, which struggled, and New York's top-five defense. There were divisions between Holmes and quarterback Mark Sanchez. Obviously, there also was a division between Hunter and Holmes, who were at the center of New York's implosion during the final week of the regular season.

Both players have a lot to prove. Holmes must return to the great play-maker and former Super Bowl MVP he was with the Pittsburgh Steelers. When focused, Holmes is one of the most dynamic receivers in the NFL. I've seen it time and time again with Pittsburgh and early with the Jets.

Hunter also must prove he's a starting right tackle in the NFL. He was pushed around too much last year. Although Holmes got heat for his lack of focus, Hunter's poor pass protection on the edge was just as big a reason New York's passing offense sputtered.

But it's good that Holmes and Hunter are saying the right things. Both players genuinely want to win and have a lot to prove. But their actions on the field this fall will speak louder than their words in the offseason.

Jane McManus@janesports

Sanchez said this is the best he's felt coming into a season. Is pushing himself in the weight room. #jets

Jane McManus@janesports

When asked, Aaron Maybin said he has never intentionally Tebowed. Said we've all accidentally Tebowed. #Jets

Jane McManus@janesports

Revis can't say whether or not he will miss training camp if contract situation not resolved. Said Tannenbaum, his agents will handle. #Jets

Jane McManus@janesports

Aaron Mayhem Maybin lost his locker to Tebow, moved across locker room. Eying scrum back there, "I'm definitely not mad that I got moved."

Jane McManus@janesports

Mike DeVito said Sanchez, Tebow and McElroy stay an hour late every day to work out. Said Tebow already setting work ethic example. #Jets

Jane McManus@janesports

Holmes says media attention that Tebow brings not a worry. "I've been on the highest stage, higher than what Tebow's been on."

Jane McManus@janesports

Wayne Hunter was told he is the starting RT. said last year he played like a rook, this year he'll play like a 9 yr vet. #jets

Jane McManus@janesports

Hunter said Santonio Holmes has been a great teammate so far this offseason. #jets

Jane McManus@janesports

RB Joe McKnight added 15 pounds of muscle in the offseason. Ate golden Oreos, worked out a lot. Was offseason goal. #jets

Jane McManus@janesports

Wayne Hunter and Santonio Holmes talked, Hunter said they agreed, "Clean slate." #Jets

Archived