Jets turn down Hard Knocks

Matt39

NEW YORK (AP) -- There will be no summer sequel for the Jets on "Hard Knocks" this season.

A person familiar with the decision said the team decided to not participate in the hit HBO show this year after being approached by the cable network about appearing again.

Rex Ryan, Mark Sanchez & Co. were big stars and drew huge ratings two years ago - the last time the show aired - but the Jets opted to pass on doing it again this summer, the person told The Associated Press on condition of anonymity Friday because neither the team nor the cable network had announced the decision.

The Atlanta Falcons have also turned down the chance at appearing on the show this season.

The arrival of Tim Tebow and the dynamic between him and Sanchez would have made for intriguing television, but the person said the Jets' decision stemmed from having a new offensive coordinator, Tony Sparano, who is installing a new system. The team used similar reasoning for turning down the show in 2009, Ryan's first season as head coach, in trying to limit distractions during training camp.

The person says, however, that the Jets would be open to appearing on a future season of "Hard Knocks."

Ryan, owner Woody Johnson and general manager Mike Tannenbaum all praised HBO and NFL Films for the way they handled filming their training camp in Cortland, N.Y., in 2010. Many of the players said they even forgot the cameras were there most of the time. But Ryan and Tannenbaum also expressed reservations this offseason about doing it this year, particularly with the team missing the playoffs last season and dealing with some locker room tension.

The team has been tightlipped so far on how it will use Tebow, the versatile backup quarterback, in the offense, so keeping those plans under wraps might have also played a role in the overall decision.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/football/nfl/05/11/jets.hard.knocks.ap/index.html#ixzz1ubOtQCaJ

The team has been tightlipped so far on how it will use Tebow, the versatile backup quarterback, in the offense, so keeping those plans under wraps might have also played a role in the overall decision.

the less the league knows about Tebow's wildcat, the better for the Jets

The selfish side of me is disappointed. It was a lot of fun last time. It would have been great this year with all the drama.

The football side knows it's a good idea to pass. Rex brings them up to Cortland to take the pressure off and to bond a bit. The first time Hard Knocks was with them it was Good Times, and Rex was all the rage. Not so much now.

Woody wanted to do it, Rex, and Mike T didn't. I'm glad the football side won

Quite possibly the most insignificant news of the off-season, considering they already turned it down once already.

I disagree. This is huge news because it means that Rex got his way. Instead of Woody getting his way.

This puts the circus one step closer to being under control.

I disagree. This is huge news because it means that Rex got his way. Instead of Woody getting his way.

BINGO!!!!!

That's exactly what makes this significant. Football won over splash. That's good news

No it doesn't. The whole "Woody wanting HBO and Rex not" banter fans have been carrying on about is purely an extrapolated rumor. From what I understand there was never a moment where Woody told anyone in the press he wanted to do HBO again, it was pure conjecture by the sports tabloids writers.

No it doesn't. The whole "Woody wanting HBO and Rex not" banter fans have been carrying on about is purely an extrapolated rumor. From what I understand there was never a moment where Woody told anyone in the press he wanted to do HBO again, it was pure conjecture by the sports tabloids writers.

You are wrong. Woody Johnson wanted to do Hard Knocks. Rex Ryan didn't want to do Hard Knocks. This is a good thing...the football people won.

BINGO!!!!!

That's exactly what makes this significant. Football won over splash. That's good news

Yes, this should not be downplayed for a few reasons imo. The maturation of Rex is at the top of that list.

You are wrong. Woody Johnson wanted to do Hard Knocks. Rex Ryan didn't want to do Hard Knocks. This is a good thing...the football people won.

I might be, because I don't read every article ever. But my summation from the articles that I did read was that the "Woody wants to" side of this was conjecture on the part of the writers.

The truth is, Woody might have wanted to when HBO approached him initially... until he talked to Rex, and Rex said no, and it was forgotten about. Except in the press where it was panted as a tug-of-war match. Meaning there was no actual internal struggle over this.

All it appears we know about it is that we were asked, the rest is tabloid nonsense. I agree that not doing the show again is good, I'm just saying that I think more has been made of the internal disagreement than necessary. There may be no need to declare victory for the football people, if there really wasn't a disagreement.

Yes, this should not be downplayed for a few reasons imo. The maturation of Rex is at the top of that list.

What if it was Sporano in Rex's ear saying don't do that stupid show again. Fix the locker room? Or Westy? Or a player? Or Wooody?

I'll believe Rex is maturing into a HEAD coach when I see more than this. We don't know the truth, we know how media spins things and we know what the Jets PR team wants us to know.

I'm not trying to debunk that this could be exactly what you say it is... I'm just saying that I need more of a sample size of "maturation" than this. :)

Post image for No Hard Knocks For Jets

Updating a previous report that the Jets were considering a repeat performance on the HBO series Hard Knocks, Bob Raissman reported yesterday that the Jets won’t be on the show this year.

Adam Schein tweeted this in April:

This is good news for the Jets, if Rex Ryan was against the move the Jets need to respect that. Football people should make football decisions.  The show is attractive from a business and marketing perspective.  Since the goal is winning the Super Bowl, football people having the final say is the right call.

Here is a discussion thread on the topic from our

di
di

JGxRwjerb7c

View the full article

I might be, because I don't read every article ever. But my summation from the articles that I did read was that the "Woody wants to" side of this was conjecture on the part of the writers.

The truth is, Woody might have wanted to when HBO approached him initially... until he talked to Rex, and Rex said no, and it was forgotten about. Except in the press where it was panted as a tug-of-war match. Meaning there was no actual internal struggle over this.

All it appears we know about it is that we were asked, the rest is tabloid nonsense. I agree that not doing the show again is good, I'm just saying that I think more has been made of the internal disagreement than necessary. There may be no need to declare victory for the football people, if there really wasn't a disagreement.

Woody told Fox that he was open to it, that was his public quote. I was told that Woody really wanted to do it again. And I can understand why, from a business point it is such a good opportunity. I do agree it was probably all overplayed but I won't lie. I was nervous that they would change Rex's mind. That's why I am so happy this went down this way with the Jets ultimately saying no.

What if it was Sporano in Rex's ear saying don't do that stupid show again. Fix the locker room? Or Westy? Or a player? Or Wooody?

I'll believe Rex is maturing into a HEAD coach when I see more than this. We don't know the truth, we know how media spins things and we know what the Jets PR team wants us to know.

I'm not trying to debunk that this could be exactly what you say it is... I'm just saying that I need more of a sample size of "maturation" than this. :)

That is definitely fair....Rex has more to prove. I am speculating a bit that Rex not wanting Hard Knocks is a result of him maturing. Either way we will find out where he is as a head coach soon enough. :)

Think Rex said something like, "C'mon, man, you got Tebow - Gimme this one!"

Hard Knocks or not, this promises to be another season under the big top.

Archived