Jets Building towards a 4-3 Defense???

Villain The Foe

I think I covered that when I stated that the 3-4 we line up in more often than not looks like anything but a 3-4. The point is that IMO we are going to run more of a traditional 4-3 with 4 actual defensive linemen rather than 3 DL + 1 LB. Seems like just semantics but there is a much bigger difference to having some big DEs and 2 tackles to cover your LBs than having 3 big guys and your LBs being asked to shed more blocks.

I assume you think that asking the LBs to lose weight and drafting Coples is evidence of this? I dunno, the only pure DL we have that are pass rushers are interior guys. I guess you could consider Maybin a defensive end since he has exactly one job.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Meh, they play a ton of 4 man fronts when they face the Pats. The reality is, this is the first season that he didnt have a least one game where they completely shut them down. I mean, yeah, the Pats had their way with the Jets this season but the offense kept handing them the ball over and over again. Rex has held them under 14 pts on 2 different occasions in his career and pretty much did in the playoffs till garbage time. Not many teams can say that, the Giants cant. In fact, the only teams in the last 3 years who have are the Browns (Rob Ryan) and the Ravens. Anyway, it was noticeable the Jets had issues getting to the QB and covering the middle of the field. He's addressing that. Seems pretty logical to me.

The Giants may not have held them to under 14 but they held them to 17 points or less twice, in the biggest game of the season where typically there is no such thing as "garbage time". No other team can say that. And in both games they were getting to Brady putting him on his back causing sacks, safety's and hurries.

The Giants may not have held them to under 14 but they held them to 17 points or less twice, in the biggest game of the season where typically there is no such thing as "garbage time". No other team can say that. And in both games they were getting to Brady putting him on his back causing sacks, safety's and hurries.

Well, yeah, the Giants obviously have the more significant wins. I was just point out how Rex has had success vs. them in the past using whatever he scheme his heart desires.

The Giants also dont face them twice a year every year.

Well, yeah, the Giants obviously have the more significant wins. I was just point out how Rex has had success vs. them in the past using whatever he scheme his heart desires.

The Giants also dont face them twice a year every year.

You're right, Rex has had "some" success and the Giants dont face them twice a year. However since 2003 the Giants are 3-2 against the Pats including both SB's. However since 2007 they're 3-1 against them.

Now, a 3-2 record isnt overly exciting but this is why I mention it.

In those 5 games the Patriots offense averaged 21 points a game, but in one of those games the Pats scored 38 points (Yet they only won by 3). My point is in the other 4 games the Giants kept to Pats offense in check scoring 17pts twice, 20pts and 14pts. Which on average is 17 points a game. One of the most explosive offenses the last 10 years when facing the Giants averages 17 ppg, and in a game where they score 38 points it actually TOOK 38 points to win the football game (final score 38-35) which was the last game of the season to complete their perfect season. 1 month later they lost to the same team in the SB and scored just 14 pts doing so causing Brady to make a complete fool of himself pregame.

If Rex isnt paying attention to that because of the little success that he's had then he should be ashamed of himself.

You're right, Rex has had "some" success and the Giants dont face them twice a year. However since 2003 the Giants are 3-2 against the Pats including both SB's. However since 2007 they're 3-1 against them.

Now, a 3-2 record isnt overly exciting but this is why I mention it.

In those 5 games the Patriots offense averages 21 points a game, but in one of those games the Pats scored 38 points (Yet they only won by 3). My point is in the other 4 games the Giants kept to Pats offense in check scoring 17pts twice, 20pts and 14pts. Which on average is 17 points a game. One of the most explosive offenses the last 10 years when facing the Giants averages 17 ppg, and in a game where they score 38 points it actually TOOK 38 points to win the football game final score 38-35 which is when they completed their perfect season. 1 month later they lost to the same team in the SB and scored just 14 pts doing so.

If Rex isnt paying attention to that because of the little success that he's had then he should be ashamed of himself.

Its hard to really compare. Giants offense tends to move the chains. The Jets, not so much. The first game of the year, the Jets defense was pretty good despite, what like 11, 3 and outs in a row? Hard for any defense to keep going back out on the field that many times vs. Brady and expect to keep stopping them. The same can be said in the other 2 losses as well. The offense has to help vs. that team, which the Giants get.

In the 3 games Rex has beaten the Pats and the offense was able to contribute, its been to the tune of 9pts (the lowest any team has held held Brady since 06), 14 and 21.

I'm not even sure what I'm getting at other than, Rex is a really good defensive coach and saying that he doesnt see or doesnt know how to stop Brady and comp. is kind of inaccurate.

Its hard to really compare. Giants offense tends to move the chains. The Jets, not so much. The first game of the year, the Jets defense was pretty good despite, what like 11, 3 and outs in a row? Hard for any defense to keep going back out on the field that many times vs. Brady and expect to keep stopping them. The same can be said in the other 2 losses as well. The offense has to help vs. that team, which the Giants get.

In the 3 games Rex has beaten the Pats and the offense was able to contribute, its been to the tune of 9pts (the lowest any team has held held Brady since 06), 14 and 21.

I'm not even sure what I'm getting at other than, Rex is a really good defensive coach and saying that he doesnt see or doesnt know how to stop Brady and comp. is kind of inaccurate.

You're right about our offense. Then again Rex isnt a defensive coordinator anymore, and if Rex wants to keep Brady in check then it has to be on both sides of the ball.

I'll say this, the Giants werent putting up a ton of points on the Pats either. These were all close games. I will agree, in order to beat the Patriots on a regular basis with a good defense, then your offense must be able to put up 21 points a game on average. The Jets dont do that.

Good point.

I assume you think that asking the LBs to lose weight and drafting Coples is evidence of this? I dunno, the only pure DL we have that are pass rushers are interior guys. I guess you could consider Maybin a defensive end since he has exactly one job.

I just think that Rex will play to his strengths and will try to take away the strengths of the opposition. If that means that he can be more effective by putting 4 Dlinemen up front and asking 3 LBs to cover more space then that will be the case against certain opposition. If it means coming out in a nickle and daring the opposition to run on him I would expect him to do that. How our defense is shaping up is what it is, we want our LBs faster, you dont hear about them trying to bulk up more. We have a ton Dlinemen, are we going to carry that many to swap out 3 at a time?

I am just going by what I see and I think Rex will make the best use out of his roster, on the defense side of the ball at least. Offense side of the ball? I hope Luigi does better as OC than he did as HC....

Point is, the "traditional" 4-3 beat the patsies and IMO our defensive talent is slightly better than the G MEN. They may have a small edge on the line and safety but we more than make up with our LBs and CBs. Going to be a fun year with opponents needing to practice against 2 types of offenses and 2 types of defenses.

A small edge on the line? You gotta be kiddin me with that garbage. And I f'ing hate the Giants.

Archived