Open Locker Room Today

Maxman

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Joe McKnight spends alot of money on McDonalds and retard pills apparently.

No sh*t I mean if your best asset is speed why would you gain weight and how can you claim gaining muscle mass by eating freaking Mcdonalds ??? Yes I think he has OD on retard pills.

May 16, 2012 2:17 PM

Darrelle Revis calls Tim Tebow 'a born leader'

BY Manish Mehta

One week before the Jets begin voluntary Organized Team Activities, Darrelle Revis lauded Tim Tebow for his ability to win over his new teammates with his passion and leadership skills.

“He’s a born leader,” Revis said on Wednesday. “He really is. He’s a born leader. Very few athletes the gift that he has. He tries to lead by example all the time and he tries to be positive, which is awesome. I think that results (in) his success on the field. He came in with Denver and did unbelievable. And now he’s with us. We’re happy. We’re excited for him. We’re happy (that) he’ll bring his leadership qualities to this team.”

Revis relayed a recent conversation that he had with Tebow during lunch when he told the Jets’ backup quarterback that he watched a television program about his high school success.

“You could see that at every level he was a leader and he stepped up and did what he had to do as a quarterback,” Revis said.

Tebow was caught off guard when Revis told him that story.

“He laughed about it,” Revis said. “He was like, ‘Whoah… What?’ Yeah… everybody’s watching you, buddy,” Revis said with a laugh.

The All-Pro cornerback summed it up by saying that Tebow had the “It” factor.

“Some people have it. Some guys don’t,” Revis said. “It’s the passion within… of him wanting to be a leader, wanting to win. You see it in him all the time… eating lunch. Walking down the hallway you see it… he;’s just one of those guys. He’s very positive. He has passion for what he does and you could see it. You can see it on him when you have a conversation with him. He’s just a leader.”

Lunch?

“He’s into stuff,” Revis said. “You’re talking to him… he’s just very passionate when he talks about things. He’s really into it.”

Tebow has fit right in.

At one point, Tebow told Bart Scott to go to the cold tub to soak his aches and pains. Scott playfully responded by asking Tebow if he’d baptize him.

Possibly. Theyn have not come out and said yet. Maybe incarcerated Boob has the down low?

I have the down low .... McDonalds now mysteriously builds muscle mass, so much so, the NFL is considering of adding it to the list of banned substances

Tim Tebow shows leadership qualities on field and during lunch, Jets' Darrelle Revis says

http://www.nj.com/je...rce=twitterfeed

Published: Wednesday, May 16, 2012, 2:16 PM Updated: Wednesday, May 16, 2012, 2:46 PM

By Conor Orr/The Star-Ledger

11030389-large.jpg

Ed Murray/The Star-Ledger Kenrick Ellis talks to the media during Jets Offseason training locker room availability in Florham Park on Wednesday, May 16, 2012.

Darrelle Revis said he notices leadership qualities from new backup quarterback Tim Tebow both on the field and off. He hears the receivers talking about extra pat-and-go workouts with Tebow and Mark Sancez and can see the way Tebow approaches the most menial of tasks -- even eating lunch.

"Some people have it and some guys don't," Revis said. "I just think the passion, it's the passion within. You see it all the time, eating lunch you see it, walking down the hallway you see it. He's like, I'm trying to think of the cartoon character, Zeus? he's just one of those guys, he's very positive, he's got a lot of passion for what he does."

When asked how one eats lunch with passion, Revis jokingly mimicked an interested Tebow leaning in during a conversation.

"He's into stuff," Revis said. "I'm like, alright buddy, we're not competing. He's just very passionate when he talks about things and in conversations."

Last year, Revis said Tebow was the kind of quarterback who could put a defense to sleep. He knew little about him on the periphery, other than that he saw a few of his high school games on television -- something the two discussed recently in the weight room. But after spending time with Tebow, he said that all the talk about his leadership abilities were authentic.

"He's a born leader, he really is," Revis said. "Very few athletes have the gift he has. He tries to lead by example all the time and he tries to be positive which is awesome and I think that's the reason for his success on the field.

"I watched Tim in high school me and him had a conversation in the weight room, it was some TV show when he won a few state championship games and they were raving about him then, and you could see at every level he was a leader and he stepped up. You respect the guy, he's a playmaker, he makes plays he wins games. But having him as a teammate, it's kind of different because you actually get to see him every day, you get to talk to him every day, you get to eat lunch with him every day, and get to know him as a person. It's totally different."

Though the coaching staff has not said how they will deploy Tebow within the offense, Revis thought that the potential was there to handcuff a defense by putting two playmaking quarterbacks on the field at once.

"My initial thing to the play would be a trick play, something tricky," he said. "Tim is dangerous and Mark is dangerous as well and to have them both on the field at the same time, you wouldn't be able to prepare for it because no one has ever seen it. You just have to be cautious, maybe on the defensive side 'hey back up.'"

Some other quick notes from Revis...

On having Rex Ryan more involved with the defense again this year: "Having Rex back in there and being involved, I mean he created this defense, he brought it from Baltimore and him being involved, he knows it in and out and him being in there is great."

On bringing back Jim Leonhard: "I don't know his status even right now. So, hopefully he gets back healthy and we can hopefully bring him back to this team. As a defense, it doesn't change but he will be truly missed if he's not back there for him contributing being one of our quarterbacks back there."

© 2012 NJ.com. All rights reserved.

Jets' Kenrick Ellis keeps quiet about upcoming felony trial

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2012/05/jets_kenrick_ellis_mum_on_upco.html?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

Published: Wednesday, May 16, 2012, 3:27 PM Updated: Wednesday, May 16, 2012, 3:30 PM

By Jenny Vrentas/The Star-Ledger

11030789-large.jpg

Robert Sciarrino/The Star-LedgerKenrick Ellis was drafted in the third round last year by the Jets.

Kenrick Ellis is participating in his first offseason program with the Jets, but last year's third-round pick will soon have to face his pending legal matter.

The trial for a malicious wounding felony charge against Ellis, which was pushed back three times, is scheduled to head to a pre-trial hearing tomorrow and jury trial next Tuesday.

Ellis declined to say if he would miss any practice time or if he will be present for the trial next week.

"I don’t know right now," Ellis said. "It’s a legal issue, still pending, an open case. I don’t want to comment on anything about it."

The team's public relations staff cut off the line of questioning.

Ellis could face up to 20 years in prison if convicted. He could also face deportation, ESPNNewYork.com reported, because the Jamaican native is a permanent resident and not a U.S. Citizen.

The charge stems from an April 2010 incident during Ellis' time at Hampton (Va.) University. He at one point also faced a civil suit for $3 million damages, filed by the alleged victim in the incident, Dennis Eley.

Eley's attorney, S. Howard Woodson, said the civil suit was recently voluntarily withdrawn because its filing was about to expire. But Woodson said they could refile, depending on what happens in criminal court over the next few days.

Ellis, a nose tackle, played in five games last season with two starts. He said he already dropped 10 pounds, to 335, and has a target weight of 330, in order to be able to stay on the field for more plays.

The Jets saw potential when they drafted Ellis and were aware of the risk due to his pending legal situation. Last spring, the team said he passed its "rigorous background check."

"Maybe his risk is more than others," GM Mike Tannenbaum said at the time. "But if we didn't feel like there was a path to have him be successful here, we wouldn't have taken him."

Joe McKnight says Jets offense is relieved, more comfortable under Tony Sparano

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2012/05/joe_mcknight_says_jets_offense.html?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

Published: Wednesday, May 16, 2012, 3:33 PM Updated: Wednesday, May 16, 2012, 3:35 PM

By Conor Orr/The Star-Ledger

Joe McKnight saw a collective sigh of relief from the offense when new coordinator Tony Sparano handed play books that revealed a much simpler, more straightforward scheme.

"It's a different mentality with coach Sparano, he's the type of person that's like, if you can't stop him, he'll keep doing it," McKnight said. "That's the kind of mentality, I think if we had last year I think we could have done better. We were just thinking so much last year it made it more easy for us this year."

McKnight said that under Brian Schottenheimer, the constant audibles and pre-snap alterations became too difficult to execute in certain circumstances. Now, McKnight said, the play called is what the Jets will run. There will be a heightened focus on accountability and winning one-on-one matchups.

"It just had so much stuff in the offense," McKnight said about Schottenheimer's system. "If the defense comes out and they line up one way we had to change the way we run our routes the other way, but when Sparano came we just run the routes. No changes, just go out and play football.

"Everybody had a sigh of relief when we didn't have the same amount of plays we had last year, we had a lot of plays and a lot of things that go with the plays and right now it's just the play is here, you just go out and run the play and you win your matchup."

McKnight bulked up this offseason -- he is at 216 right now with the hope of settling into the 205-210 range by the start of the regular season -- and hopes he can make the shift to a more versatile back.

Sparano's run-first philosophy could help, too.

"Sometimes, we didn't run the ball a lot when we should have (last year)," McKnight said. "But that's just the learning curve for us to work on this year."

As for how McKnight put the weight on -- in total about 15 pounds from the end of last season --

"Man, a lot of McDonalds," he said. "I was what, 198? I had to eat. I gained the weight the right way then I worked out and turned it into muscle.

"I ate healthy but the majority of the time I was eating bad. I'm not going to say I was eating all the right stuff like Tim Tebow."

He did not think the fast food would slow him down.

"I don't feel like I've been slowed down," he said. "And from what I heard it doesn't look like I've slowed down, I got more explosive, more powerful out of my cuts, I could say that."

I have the down low .... McDonalds now mysteriously builds muscle mass, so much so, the NFL is considering of adding it to the list of banned substances

LoL good one. Say, do you think this mutual d*ck sucking going on for the media's sake is gonna translate to more wins?

Manish Mehta @TheJetsStream

New Jets OL coach Dave DeGuglielmo on @nickmangold's intelligence: "This guy could probably fly the Space Shuttle." #nyj

Jenny Vrentas@JennyVrentas

Wow. New OL coach Dave DeGuglielmo had a lot to say today, and it included heavy-handed praise of RT Wayne Hunter. #nyj

Dennis Waszak Jr.@DWAZ73

New #Jets o-line coach Dave DeGuglielmo is just like Rex and Tony Sparano. Speaks whatever's on his mind, unfiltered. Fun guy to talk to.

New Jets OL coach Dave DeGuglielmo on Wayne Hunter's physique: "They (should) strap shields to this guy & put him in The Coliseum." #nyj

Kimberley A. Martin@KMart_LI

all i have 2 say is: florham park just got a whole lot more fun with "coach gooch" (aka, new OL coach dave deguglielmo) around #nyj

DeGuglielmo asserts Hunter is their starting right tackle -- and one of the last things he wants to see is that not be the case. #nyj

Jets OL coach Dave DeGuglielmo on old #NYJ OL coach Bill Callahan: "Difference between me and Bill: I have a Super Bowl ring and he doesn't"

New Jets OL coach Dave DeGuglielmo on rookie Robert T. Griffin: "He's got the head the size of a pumpkin." #nyj

coach gooch said wayne hunter is NOT what u think. "He's a warrior. They strap shields to this guy & put him in the Coliseum." #jets

DeGuglielmo said one of the things that excited him most about the job was Hunter. Likened his physique to a Roman warrior. #nyj

Another big talker...

DeGuglielmo proclaimed Nick Mangold smart enough to fly space shuttle. He added that Ducasse is picking up offense as fast as Mangold. #nyj

Dennis Waszak Jr.@DWAZ73

Guglielmo on Wayne Hunter: "Until they ship him out of here or shoot me dead in my office, the guy's the starting RT." #Jets

Brian Costello@BrianCoz

DeGuglielmo does not lack confidence. "I'm not worried about the ghost of Bill Callahan.

When asked what happened to Hunter last season, DeGuglielmo said "ask Bill Callahan...his number is in the Dallas directory." #nyj

DeGuglielmo said he doesn't take anyone's word on players. But now he's convinced @nickmangold is smart enuff 2 fly the space shuttle #nyj

Dennis Waszak Jr.@DWAZ73

Guglielmo on replacing Callahan: "Difference between Bill & me is I have a SB ring. ... I'm not worried about the ghost of Bill Callahan."

Brian Costello@BrianCoz

After listening to new OL coach Dave DeGuglielmo talk about Wayne Hunter, I'm trying to figure out how Hunter missed the Pro Bowl last year

DeGuglielmo said he'll keep the OL starters in tact, unless someone tells him otherwise #nyj

New Jets OL coach Dave DeGuglielmo: "I'm not worried about the ghosts of Bill Callahan." #nyj

I think it's safe to say DeGuglielmo fits right in with Rex... #ThisGuyLovesHisPlayers

Dennis Waszak Jr.@DWAZ73

DeGuglielmo on Robert T. Griffin: "He's very, very gifted ... and he's got a head the size of a pumpkin." #Jets

DeGuglielmo was 230 lbs 2 years ago. Now, 290: "I fluctuate 60 here, 60 there. It’s like peeing in a pool. Nobody knows the difference" #nyj

DeGuglielmo: "Until they ship him out of this building, or until they shoot me dead in my office," Hunter will be the starting RT. #nyj

Dennis Waszak Jr.@DWAZ73

DeGuglielmo says he anticipates all 5 starters from last season to start this season for #Jets

More Dave DeGuglielmo on Wayne Hunter: "This is his year. He’s poised to be the man that he believes he can be & I believe he can be" #nyj

New Jets o-line coach Dave DeGuglielmo on Vlad Ducasse: "This is not a bust." #nyj

DeGuglielmo on Wayne Hunter: "This guy has skills. If you find one out there better than that at that position, bring him to me." #nyj

DeGuglielmo on Hunter: "Until they ship him out of this building or until they shoot me dead in my office, (he's) going to be starting RT"

New Jets offensive line coach Dave DeGuglielmo praises embattled right tackle Wayne Hunter: 'This is his year.'

BY Manish Mehta

Move over, Rex.

There’s another entertainer in town.

New offensive line coach Dave DeGuglielmo was funny, colorful and downright effusive in his first public comments since being a part of the offensive coaching overhaul this offseason.

DeGuglielmo, who worked with Tony Sparano in Miami, left little doubt that he’s not concerned about following the respected offensive line coach Bill Callahan.

"The difference between me and Bill is I have a Super Bowl ring and he doesn't,” said DeGuglielmo, who was a member of the Giants’ Super Bowl winning coaching staff a few years ago. “I'm not worried about the ghosts of Bill Callahan."

Although DeGuglielmo praised his unit and maintained “they have the makings of being the best line in football,” he steered clear from comparing them to the group that helped the Jets reached back-to-back AFC Championship Games in 2009 and 2010.

“I’m not going to compare them to what they did two years ago,” he said. “Two years ago, I was 230 pounds. Now, I’m 290. So, you could say, ‘Hey, Gug used to look good in that suit.’ But right now I can’t put one leg into it. It doesn’t matter what I was like two years ago…. I fluctuate 60 here, 60 there. It’s like peeing in a pool. Nobody knows the difference.”

DeGuglielmo showered embattled right tackle Wayne Hunter with praise.

“One of the things that excited me most about this job was Wayne Hunter,” he said. “The last thing that I would ever want to see happen is not have Wayne Hunter as the right tackle. He’s big. He’s athletic. He’s aggressive. He’s a smart guy. He practices at top speed. He practices physical. He pays attention to detail. Everything you give him to do on the field. He does it. He does it naturally. Wayne had some good plays last year and some bad plays. You show me a lineman in the league that didn’t.”

“How he reacted to some of those bad plays maybe that’s something that he needs to work on,” DeGuglielmo added. “But I’ll be honest with you: This guy is the starting right tackle. Until they tell me otherwise, until they ship him out of this building or until they shoot me dead in my office, that son of a gun is going to be the starting right tackle and he’s going to play well.”

DeGuglielmo was adamant that Hunter “has skills.”

“If you find one out there better than that at that position, bring him to me,” the coach said. “This is his year… he’s poised to be the man that he believes he can be and I believe he can be.”

DeGuglielmo also marveled at Hunter’s physique.

"They (should) strap shields to this guy & put him in The Coliseum," he said.

Notes:

DeGuglielmo said that the same five starters from a year ago are expected to start this season. He maintained that offensive lineman Vlad Ducasse, who has been working at right tackle this offseason, has a chance to make a contribution: “This isn’t a bust,” he said.

DeGuglielmo on Nick Mangold’s intelligence: "This guy could probably fly the Space Shuttle.”

Jets offensive line coach Dave DeGuglielmo says no doubt Wayne Hunter is starting right tackle

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2012/05/jets_offensive_line_coach_dave.html?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

Published: Wednesday, May 16, 2012, 6:23 PM Updated: Wednesday, May 16, 2012, 6:25 PM

By Jenny Vrentas/The Star-Ledger

11031766-large.jpg

Andrew Mills/The Star-LedgerWayne Hunter was heavily praised by his new offensive line coach.

Dave DeGuglielmo, the Jets' new offensive line coach, did not hold back in his praise of right tackle Wayne Hunter, going so far as to liken his physique to that of a god and a Roman warrior.

Despite Hunter's inconsistent play in 2011, his first season as a starter, DeGuglielmo said in no uncertain terms that Hunter's starting job is not in jeopardy. He believes "this is his year."

"This guy is the starting right tackle," DeGugliemo said. "Until they tell me otherwise, until they ship him out of this building or until they shoot me dead in my office, that sonofagun is going to be the starting right tackle. And he's going to play well."

DeGuglielmo indicated that there may have been questions about Hunter elsewhere in the Jets organization, and the guaranteed $2.45 million salary he's due. Tannenbaum said after the draft that Hunter is "competing for a position here."

DeGuglielmo clearly disagrees, and he said GM Mike Tannenbaum smiled at his opinion of Hunter, telling him he's glad he has such strong opinions of his players.

"I speak my piece to people in power," said DeGuglielmo, who took over for respected line coach Bill Callahan. "I don’t make those decisions, but I'm telling you, this guy has skills. If you find one out there better than that playing that position, bring him to me."

Hunter was the target of frequent public criticism in 2011, his first year as a starter. According to football statistics website ProFootballFocus.com, Hunter gave up 11 sacks last year, third most in the league. DeGuglielmo said he can't speak to what happened last year, adding "You'd have to ask Bill Callahan. I think he's in the directory in Dallas."

In DeGuglielmo's opinion, Hunter had some good plays and some bad ones, like any other tackle in the league. He thinks the negative perception of Hunter "snowballed."

"I see many, many more great things, and I see the upside, I see the movement skills, the explosiveness. Those are the things I see on film," DeGugliemo said. "How it all worked out? I don't know, but I know this much: the guy I have in that room right now, the guy that communicates with me is nothing like the guy -- I did a little research before I took this job -- nothing like the guy people explained that I would have. He is not introverted, he is not any of the things people say he is. He has a great personality, great energy, great desire and great skills. It looks like the makings of something great."

DeGugliemo said one of the things that was most appealing to him about this job was working with Hunter. He said when Hunter was a free agent last summer, he and Tony Sparano, then the Dolphins head coach, hoped to bring him to Miami.

"I wanted Wayne Hunter, so the last thing I would ever want to see happen is not have Wayne Hunter as the starting right tackle," DeGugliemo said. "He’s big, he's athletic, he’s aggressive, he's a smart guy, he practices at top speed, he practices physical, he pays attention to detail. Everything you give him to do on the field, he does it and he does it naturally."

DeGugliemo's bold statements did not stop with Hunter. He deemed center Nick Mangold smart enough to fly the space shuttle, and said that former second-round pick Vlad Ducasse "is not a bust."

He says he expects the five starters in place from last year to carry over, and he believes that unit has the "makings of the best line in football." And he's not concerned about living up to Callahan, who was well-respected and liked by his players.

"The difference between me and Bill: I have a Super Bowl ring, and he doesn't," said DeGugliemo, who won a Super Bowl XLII ring as the Giants' assistant offensive line coach. "I'm not worried about the ghost of Bill Callahan."

I like how for every 10 tweets on a player and what he said there MIGHT be one that differs from the others somehow.

The McKnigt weight gain was the one that seemed to lose all context when the quote turned into a tweet. It was obvious the kid was joking, but they took that nugget and ran! To top it off, a dew bag from NFL.com wrote a small piece based entirely on the McDonalds comment.

Twitter has certainly changed the way news is reported, and I am not sure if it is for the better. These hacks are writing "stories" with their smart phones before they really sit down and take it all in. Everyone is more concerned with being the first to report the news rather than being the one that writes the best article.

The McKnigt weight gain was the one that seemed to lose all context when the quote turned into a tweet. It was obvious the kid was joking, but they took that nugget and ran! To top it off, a dew bag from NFL.com wrote a small piece based entirely on the McDonalds comment.

Twitter has certainly changed the way news is reported, and I am not sure if it is for the better. These hacks are writing "stories" with their smart phones before they really sit down and take it all in. Everyone is more concerned with being the first to report the news than being the one that writes the best article.

Yep, and they know they don't have to do much better because people eat this slop up anyway.

McKnight was joking... but no one got the joke.

reeading between the lines im psyched that McKnight is in decent shape. If he can stay healthy he could actually game break.

“I’m not going to compare them to what they did two years ago,” he said. “Two years ago, I was 230 pounds. Now, I’m 290. So, you could say, ‘Hey, Gug used to look good in that suit.’ But right now I can’t put one leg into it. It doesn’t matter what I was like two years ago…. I fluctuate 60 here, 60 there. It’s like peeing in a pool. Nobody knows the difference.”

holy sh*t the Jets have the funniest coaching staff in the league

Hunter was a good backup. I don't think its impossible now that he gets a full preseason that he could be serviceable. Then again, he was the weakest link in our squad, outside of QB, and we didn't address it. Pretty ridiculous.

Also, is Wayne really that jacked?

Archived