Ellis pleas down, 90 days in jail.

BroadwayJoe12

Jets DT Kenrick Ellis is expected to serve 90 days in jail after agreeing to plead guilty in exchange for a reduced charge of assault and battery. Ellis was originally charged with malicious wounding after breaking the jaw and nose of a man during an altercation on the Hampton (Va.) University campus. A native of Jamaica, Ellis will avoid deportation after agreeing to the plea. He would miss training camp and return in late August if he serves the full 90 day sentence. Vrentas Twitter.

So much for that possible 20 year sentence, looks like Cimini is gonna need to find another whipping boy. SMC or the other legal folk, what are the odds he serves the entire 90 day sentence? First time offense/good behavior, could he be out in two months or so??

Kenrick Ellis' legal case resolved with plea agreement, victim's attorney says

Published: Thursday, May 17, 2012, 4:16 PM Updated: Thursday, May 17, 2012, 4:20 PM

3492.png By Jenny Vrentas/The Star-Ledger

Follow

Email Print

11035891-large.jpgRobert Sciarrino/The Star-LedgerKenrick Ellis was drafted by the Jets in the third round of last year's draft.

Kenrick Ellis has had a legal case pending for his entire tenure with the Jets, but that case has wrapped up today with a plea agreement, the victim's attorney said today.

The Jets defensive lineman was due to face trial on a malicious wounding felony charge next week, but S. Howard Woodson said his client and the victim in the case, Dennis Eley, has reluctantly agreed to a plea agreement for a lesser charge.

According to Woodson, the terms of the agreement are that Ellis will plead guilty to assault and battery, a misdemeanor charge.

That plea will come with six months of active jail time, but per Virginia law, he will only have to serve half, i.e. 90 days in jail. He could also receive credit for time served.

One potential complication with the case was that Ellis faced the possibility of being deported if convicted of a felony, because he is a U.S. permanent resident, ESPN New York reported. It appears that Ellis is now safe from deportation by pleading to a misdemeanor, though the Commonwealth's Attorney could not be reached to verify.

The case stemmed from an April 2010 incident while Ellis was a student at Hampton University. The Jets selected Ellis in the third round of last year's draft despite his pending legal issues and said they were comfortable with the risk.

Woodson said his client will likely continue to pursue a civil claim against Ellis. It was originally filed last year for $3 million, but the amount could be less given the outcome of the criminal case.

Ellis declined to answer questions about his legal situation yesterday because the case was still pending.

I'm glad he did the sensible thing rather then doing a Plex, and end up doing years. Never good going in the Can, but he can put this behind him now. Pity about the timing for training camp but at least he will be available for the season.

So I guess this means no off season for this guy again.

I guess it's better then no off-season for the next 20 years

Could be, but that also depends on how much time he actually serves / when he serves it. Right or wrong, there's been numerous cases of both being adjusted to accommodate an NFL player, with either limited jail time (Donte Stallworth served a grand total of 24 days for DUI manslaughter) or postponing jail time until after the NFL season (Jamal Lewis was one example there that comes to mind). Granted, Ellis is hardly a big name, but I wouldn't be surprised if his lawyer (and perhaps even the Jets' lawyers) get something worked out.

Could be, but that also depends on how much time he actually serves / when he serves it. Right or wrong, there's been numerous cases of both being adjusted to accommodate an NFL player, with either limited jail time (Donte Stallworth served a grand total of 24 days for DUI manslaughter) or postponing jail time until after the NFL season (Jamal Lewis was one example there that comes to mind). Granted, Ellis is hardly a big name, but I wouldn't be surprised if his lawyer (and perhaps even the Jets' lawyers) get something worked out.

Don't think the Jets lawyers can do anything here. Anything they do to help will come right off the cap

yes and Ellis really needed one... he really is on the Vlad career path. 1st year washout, 2nd year limited reps, 3rd year hopefully it all comes together?

What an unbelievably peculiar comparison, with very little to no basis. Outside of Ellis not being a rookie all star, there's little else he has in common with Vlad.

Don't think the Jets lawyers can do anything here. Anything they do to help will come right off the cap

Yeah, I hadn't really thought of that. I just figured they would be happy to do it if it meant saving one of their player's asses, but I suppose you're right that could be considered an additional, off-the-books benefit, which the NFL hardly looks kindly upon. Of course this is the NFL, so I don't doubt if they Jets legal staff have given a few nudges in the right direction to Ellis and his lawyer, off the record of course.

What an unbelievably peculiar comparison, with very little to no basis. Outside of Ellis not being a rookie all star, there's little else he has in common with Vlad.

Beat me to it. But I had to get off the ground after falling out of my chair when I read that. While maybe unspectacular, Ellis looked absolutely competent during his playing time. We may never get to say the same for Vlad.

both born in foreign countries.

both from FCS (Div-1AA) schools.

both known as impressive physical athletes but raw technique.

both hurt by a year without a training camp.

both didn't win the starting jobs as rookies

I was going to say the same thing.

Also, he might have an ally in the alleged victim. If he's pursuing a civil case, it's in his best interest to make sure Ellis has plenty of money.

Will Ellis get suspended? that's usually what the NFL does to players that serve time. I wonder if it's cause he was in college at the time of the crime he doesn't face suspension? does any1 know the rule on that? Goodell suspends players for less.

Beat me to it. But I had to get off the ground after falling out of my chair when I read that. While maybe unspectacular, Ellis looked absolutely competent during his playing time. We may never get to say the same for Vlad.

vlad was competent, maybe even good as a 6th OL last year.

im comparing Ellis to Vlad, maybe that's not fair to Vlad.

vlad didn't get sent to prison during training camp.

Will Ellis get suspended? that's usually what the NFL does to players that serve time. I wonder if it's cause he was in college at the time of the crime he doesn't face suspension? does any1 know the rule on that? Goodell suspends players for less.

Not that I wholeheartedly disagree, but it certainly seems that in order to defend Vlad, someone who the majority here vilify, you are going out of your way to tear down Ellis, someone who the majority here like.

Not sure i agree with this.

So someone attacks you, you defend yourself and put that person in his place and then you have to go to jail for 90 days.

What sentence does the person who started the brawl and attacked get ?

And spending time in a hospital does not count!

Guy was defending himself from Ellis, not the other way around. That's why ellis is going to jail. Still amazed at how many people assume they know more than the cops, judges, prosecutors and defense attorneys who have the actual facts of the case and actually have careers based in law. Not picking on you, Denver, there are a lot of Jets fans that assume Ellis is innocent because the other guy had a bat. Ellis is a freaking monster. Of course the guy grabbed a bat. And got his face caved in for his efforts. He was beaten unconscious and endured several surgeries, all because he insulted Ellis' girlfriend. I'm not an Ellis fan. i think he's a scumbag. Thrown out of one college for drugs and arrested at another for violence. He'll have to do a lot better before i change my opinion of him. Maybe jail wakes him up and turns him around.

I don't know, outside of Stallworth, who else has served a suspension after jail time? Neither Burress nor Vick did, although they both obviously missed entire seasons while in jail, but I can't think of any other examples of those who did. Not to mention as you stated, there seems to be a bit of a standard set that the NFL usually doesn't get involved in anything that happened with a player before entering the league, with Terrelle Pryor being the obvious exception. Although when it comes to Goodell, precedent and standards never seem to have any impact on his decision-making whatsoever, so I wouldn't be surprised regardless.

This was an issue in the past. Kenrick is now available to put this behind him and head into camp with a renewed sense of focus and energy. He is young and hopefully he puts the past behind him and just works hard to improve this season. This kid has a TON of potential.

This was an issue in the past. Kenrick is now available to put this behind him and head into camp with a renewed sense of focus and energy. He is young and hopefully he puts the past behind him and just works hard to improve this season. This kid has a TON of potential.

You forgot to cite his attorney for your post.

certainly seems that in order to defend Vlad, someone who the majority here vilify, you are going out of your way to tear down Ellis, someone who the majority here like.

i see them as about equals. with the exception that Vlad isn't in jail.

both born in foreign countries.

both from FCS (Div-1AA) schools.

both known as impressive physical athletes but raw technique.

both hurt by a year without a training camp.

both didn't win the starting jobs as rookies

Not only that, but;

both breathe air

both drink water

both use electricity

both enjoy Channing Tatum movies

Guy was defending himself from Ellis, not the other way around. That's why ellis is going to jail. Still amazed at how many people assume they know more than the cops, judges, prosecutors and defense attorneys who have the actual facts of the case and actually have careers based in law. Not picking on you, Denver, there are a lot of Jets fans that assume Ellis is innocent because the other guy had a bat. Ellis is a freaking monster. Of course the guy grabbed a bat. And got his face caved in for his efforts. He was beaten unconscious and endured several surgeries, all because he insulted Ellis' girlfriend. I'm not an Ellis fan. i think he's a scumbag. Thrown out of one college for drugs and arrested at another for violence. He'll have to do a lot better before i change my opinion of him. Maybe jail wakes him up and turns him around.

I was going based on what i heard here in one of the many pieces of info about this when he was drafted.

Heck if he attacked the guy and beat him up viciously and got away with 90 days that sounds lie a bargain. Although I don't know much about the law.

I was going based on what i heard here in one of the many pieces of info about this when he was drafted.

Heck if he attacked the guy and beat him up viciously and got away with 90 days that sounds lie a bargain. Although I don't know much about the law.

+1 Nice having the money to back up a legal defense. Now the civil suit is gonna cost him I think.

I don't know, outside of Stallworth, who else has served a suspension after jail time? Neither Burress nor Vick did, although they both obviously missed entire seasons while in jail, but I can't think of any other examples of those who did. Not to mention as you stated, there seems to be a bit of a standard set that the NFL usually doesn't get involved in anything that happened with a player before entering the league, with Terrelle Pryor being the obvious exception. Although when it comes to Goodell, precedent and standards never seem to have any impact on his decision-making whatsoever, so I wouldn't be surprised regardless.

Jail vs. Prison

Big difference. Many places allow people to serve jail time on the weekends or over time, sort of like a payment plan for outstanding debt. Not so much in prison.

Ellis' defense has bought him this much time and managed to plea his deal way down. They should have no issue with making a deal to allow Ellis to serve his time without missing "work." As was said earlier, the victim does not want him to miss any paychecks either, as he stands to score nicely in the civil suit.

ESPN.com: New York Jets

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/print?id=12524

Saturday, May 19, 2012

Ellis subject to NFL review

By Rich Cimini

Kenrick Ellis may have to answer to the NFL as well.

The second-year defensive tackle, who agreed to a reduced charge of misdemeanor assault and battery from an incident that occurred while he was a student at Hampton (Va.) University, is subject to the league's personal-conduct policy.

The timing of the incident is a factor to be considered, but it is subject to review, a league spokesman said Saturday in an e-mail to ESPNNewYork.com. If a player is found to be in violation of the personal-conduct policy, he could be slapped with a fine and/or a suspension.

Ellis was arrested in April 2010 and later charged with a malicious wounding, a felony in Virginia. The Jets were aware of the charge when they selected him in the third round of the 2011 draft. On Thursday, Ellis accepted a plea-bargain arrangement. If he had been convicted of a felony, he could've been deported because he's not a U.S. citizen.

Ellis is scheduled to appear in court Monday, when the judge likely will approve the plea deal and, possibly, hand down a sentence. The plea agreement includes six months of jail time, S. Howard Woodson, the alleged victim's attorney, told ESPNNewYork.com. Under Virginia law, Ellis would have to serve 90 days, with time served being applied.

Ellis also faces a likely civil suit.

Archived