27 replies to this topic

#1 F.Chowds

F.Chowds

Rookie Free Agent

• Members
  • 2,090 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 04:58 PM

Manish Mehta @TheJetsStream

Jets have come to terms with Coples, per source.

#2 F.Chowds

F.Chowds

Rookie Free Agent

• Members
  • 2,090 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 05:06 PM

Source: Jets agree to terms on a four-year deal with first-round pick Quinton Coples

BY MANISH MEHTA

The Daily News first reported on Twitter on Thursday that the Jets have agreed to terms on a deal with first-round pick Quinton Coples. It's a standard four-year deal (full guaranteed) with a fifth-year team option.

The Jets now have two unsigned draft picks remaining: third-rounder Demario Davis and seventh-rounder Jordan White.

http://twitter.com/TheJetsStream

#3 bitonti

bitonti

Draft Bathroom Attendant

• Members
  • 14,518 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 05:36 PM

This deal got done relatively fast there's not alot of 1st rounders signed right now

http://nyjetscap.com...s/rookiecap.php

General Managers factor in who a player's agent is when they are making the decision to draft. it's not the only factor but it's gotta be in their heads. i don't know who Coples agent is but id bet money it's not Revis' agent.

Edited by bitonti, 17 May 2012 - 05:37 PM.

My posts have to get worse, so they can get better.

#4 faba

faba

• Moderators
  • 24,601 posts
  • LocationHolmdel

Posted 17 May 2012 - 05:45 PM

Tanny getting to work and getting this guys in
Treat people with how you want to be treated-with respect.

#5 RyanBe_Tweetin

RyanBe_Tweetin

Rookie Free Agent

• Facebook \ Twitter
  • 699 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 06:00 PM

As much as Tanny makes me mad sometimes he did a good job with this draft and I like how hes getting the rookie contracts over with

#6 Maxman

Maxman

Mr. Jet Nation

• Administrators
  • 56,732 posts
  • LocationJN Server Room

Posted 17 May 2012 - 06:19 PM

As much as Tanny makes me mad sometimes he did a good job with this draft and I like how hes getting the rookie contracts over with

This new system is no joke. Players rush to sign now. Quite a change from the old days.

#7 RyanBe_Tweetin

RyanBe_Tweetin

Rookie Free Agent

• Facebook \ Twitter
  • 699 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 06:23 PM

This new system is no joke. Players rush to sign now. Quite a change from the old days.

Its insane how much the draft changed from previous years. Its good to know we wont have a Crabtree esque holdout on our hands

#8 Maxman

Maxman

Mr. Jet Nation

• Administrators
  • 56,732 posts
  • LocationJN Server Room

Posted 17 May 2012 - 06:25 PM

Its insane how much the draft changed from previous years. Its good to know we wont have a Crabtree esque holdout on our hands

It would have been nice if Vernon Gholston held out years ago. But it doesn't matter now.

#9 RyanBe_Tweetin

RyanBe_Tweetin

Rookie Free Agent

• Facebook \ Twitter
  • 699 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 06:33 PM

It would have been nice if Vernon Gholston held out years ago. But it doesn't matter now.

I really think the name Vernon Gholston should be considered profanity and starred out here on Jetnation. Just a suggestion.

#10 JetNation

JetNation

Transition Player

• Members
  • 5,726 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 05:32 PM

Post image for Jets Sign First Round Draft Pick Quinton Coples

It’s been a busy day for the Jets front office, just hours after signing round seven pick Antonio Allen, the Daily News is reporting they have signed first round pick (#16 overall) defensive end Quinton Coples to a guaranteed four-year contract:

The Daily News first reported on Twitter on Thursday that the Jets have agreed to terms on a deal with first-round pick Quinton Coples. It’s a standard four-year deal (full guaranteed) with a fifth-year team option.

Source: Manish Mehta

Only two of the Jets eight draft picks remain unsigned: Pick No.77 – Demario Davis and No.244 – Jordan White. 

For more on the Coples signing check out our Jets-Nations forum.

#11 The Crusher

The Crusher

Woof

• Moderators
  • 27,852 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 06:40 PM

It matters to me. Hate that bitch!

unclerico.gif

#12 JiF

JiF

President of the Rex Ryan Fan Club

• Members
  • 35,545 posts
  • LocationSomewhere between Heaven and Hell

Posted 17 May 2012 - 07:21 PM

Only a 4 year deal for a 1st round pick? Hmmm. I'm no contract/cap guy...is that normal? Isnt it typically 5+? New CBA?
Posted Image

#13 SenorGato

SenorGato

Schottenhomer

• Members
  • 19,634 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 11:14 PM

Only a 4 year deal for a 1st round pick? Hmmm. I'm no contract/cap guy...is that normal? Isnt it typically 5+? New CBA?

Anywhere from 4-6 is normal, and according to what's up there there's an option for a 5th.

If he's any good he'll be locked up before the contract is up anyway. It's the NFL, length of a contract means jack sh*t in this league anyway.

OTOH, looks like Coples wasn't so lazy when it comes to getting paid.

We sick an' tired of-a your ism-skism game. Dyin' 'n' goin' to heaven in-a Jesus' name, Lord. We know when we understand:

Almighty God is a living man. - Bob Marley "Get up Stand up"

#14 Matt39

Matt39

damn you're smooth

• Members
  • 20,444 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 11:17 PM

if anyone cares I met Jon Gruden yesterday and he hates Coples.

#15 courtnj18

courtnj18

Rookie Free Agent

• Writers \ Bloggers
  • 611 posts
  • LocationNJ/NY

Posted 18 May 2012 - 12:20 AM

Anywhere from 4-6 is normal, and according to what's up there there's an option for a 5th.

If he's any good he'll be locked up before the contract is up anyway. It's the NFL, length of a contract means jack sh*t in this league anyway.

Hopefully he stays that way, which, honestly, I think he will. Almost every (Jets) player has been ripped apart this year for something, and each one knows his flaw and what he needs to brush up on.

"That's part of the reason Rex drafted me, because I value this job. It's my life. If somebody wanted to take that away from me, it's personal."
mark-sanchez-t.jpg

#16 SenorGato

SenorGato

Schottenhomer

• Members
  • 19,634 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 01:01 AM

He may know his flaw and not care, hence becoming a Jef during the reign of Bean Man and Wrecks.

We sick an' tired of-a your ism-skism game. Dyin' 'n' goin' to heaven in-a Jesus' name, Lord. We know when we understand:

Almighty God is a living man. - Bob Marley "Get up Stand up"

#17 BurnleyJet

BurnleyJet

Fan for 30 years (You get less for Murder these days!)

• Members
  • 2,171 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 03:51 AM

Which Team is he the Head Coach of now? - Let's see how the kid plays on the field, I'm hoping he's the 10 sack interior line we've missed since Dennis Byrd. (by the way one of my fav Jets and people).

#18 GREENBEAN

GREENBEAN

I may or may not like things

• Members
  • 2,961 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 05:36 AM

I'm grateful for it. There's no reason to pay these guys coming out elite money before they earn it. It was a crazy system
Why must the Jets make it possible for me to be ridiculed at work EVERY SINGLE YEAR??????

http://shar.es/Fr7l6

#19 GREENBEAN

GREENBEAN

• Members
  • 2,961 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 05:39 AM

I really think the name Vernon Gholston should be considered profanity and starred out here on Jetnation. Just a suggestion.

LOL
Why must the Jets make it possible for me to be ridiculed at work EVERY SINGLE YEAR??????

#20 GREENBEAN

GREENBEAN

• Members
  • 2,961 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 05:42 AM

Well, in his defense, Coples DID steal his lunch money. It's only natural for Gruden to have ill feelings towards him.

#21 Sperm Edwards

Sperm Edwards

Penis

• Moderators
  • 27,049 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 07:19 AM

Not anymore. Even Cam Newton only got a 4-year deal and he was the #1 overall pick. I'm even surprised they allowed a team-only option for a 5th year, since effectively this would make it a 5 year deal unless the Jets "cut" him by not exercising the option. Someone else maybe could comment on that loophole.

The big losers in this are the teams who don't get as many cheap years from a first rounder, and to-be busts who won't get gargantuan Jamarcus Russell/Vernon Gholston contracts anymore. Winners in this are non-busts - particularly RBs - drafted high, and veterans who will now be the beneficiaries of the extra cap room not used on rookie deals.

Overall it's a better system IMO. Shouldn't be any players holding out until late August unless the team or player/agent just break balls for the sake of breaking balls.

JetNation

2446sd4.jpg

Morn - hin - weg

#22 Integrity28

Integrity28

I love it when Idzik's plan comes together.

• Members
  • 31,078 posts
  • Locationwrong guy in the wrong place at the wrong time

Posted 18 May 2012 - 08:04 AM

"this guy" never has anything bad to say about players... lol, interesting, must be some gloom and doom to extrapolate from this... must be

"Idz a process."

Posted Image

#23 JiF

JiF

• Members
  • 35,545 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 08:09 AM

Not anymore. Even Cam Newton only got a 4-year deal and he was the #1 overall pick. I'm even surprised they allowed a team-only option for a 5th year, since effectively this would make it a 5 year deal unless the Jets "cut" him by not exercising the option. Someone else maybe could comment on that loophole.

The big losers in this are the teams who don't get as many cheap years from a first rounder, and to-be busts who won't get gargantuan Jamarcus Russell/Vernon Gholston contracts anymore. Winners in this are non-busts - particularly RBs - drafted high, and veterans who will now be the beneficiaries of the extra cap room not used on rookie deals.

Overall it's a better system IMO. Shouldn't be any players holding out until late August unless the team or player/agent just break balls for the sake of breaking balls.

Thanks. Agreed its a better system. It was ridiculous that a player like VG earned more in his career for doing nothing compared to a solid 8-10 year veteran who maybe never hit the big pay day because they dont have the name or flash but have been super productive. And it was even more ridiculous the rookies could literally strong arm teams into giving them more money. The fact a rookie could hold out is beyond stupid IMO.
Posted Image

#24 JiF

JiF

• Members
  • 35,545 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 08:10 AM

As a player or as a person?
Posted Image

#25 Bleedin Green

Bleedin Green

SuperTwat

• Members
  • 20,386 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 08:50 AM

Seems like it's a loophole pretty much all NFL teams managed to dig up, because if you actually look, most of the first round picks signed so far this year have had that same 5th year option. If I had to guess, it's probably something both sides are willing to do as it's a means for teams to lock their rookies up for longer while I imagine it probably helps the agents sneak some bigger money into that part of the contract.
By day he's the (not so) mild-mannered Bleedin Green, but by night...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)