OTAs open to the media today

Ryno the Jet

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

May 31, 2012 1:52 PM

Breakdown of Mark Sanchez and Tim Tebow during second week of Jets OTAs

BY Manish Mehta

On many levels, dissecting every pass from Mark Sanchez and Tim Tebow during the second week of OTAs is outrageous.

I decided to do it anyway during Thursday’s open practice.

Here are the final numbers for the quarterbacks during 11-on-11 team drills:

Sanchez: 7-for-14, “sacked” twice in 20 snaps.

Tebow: 1-for-4 with 1 rush attempt in eight snaps.

A more detailed breakdown during 11-on-11s, which was broken into three sets:

First set:

Sanchez went 2-for-3 and was “sacked” by Quinton Coples in seven snaps

Tebow went 1-for-2 with one rushing attempt in four snaps. His lone completion came on his first snap. A deep pass down the left sideline that was hauled in by a leaping and twisting Stephen Hill.

Second set:

Sanchez went 2-for-4 and was “sacked” in six snaps

Tebow went 0 for 2 in 4 snaps

Third set (2-minute drill)

Sanchez completed his first three passes before finishing 3-for-7 (including one snap to clock it). On the final play, he lofted a pass over DeMario Davis’ head – but it was slightly underthrown. Joe McKnight couldn’t handle it in the endzone.

Tebow didn’t take a snap in the 2-minute drill. (Greg McElroy led the second team).

11-ON-11 DIRECTIONAL BREAKDOWN:

Sanchez:

Left: 4-for-4

Middle: 2-for-5

Right: 1-for-5

Tebow:

Left: 1-for-3

Middle:

Right: 0-for-1

SEVEN-ON-SEVEN PASSING DRILLS:

Sanchez went 4-for-6 with a touchdown to Dustin Keller.

Tebow went 4-for-5 with a touchdown to Stephen Hill.

INDIVIDUAL PASSING DRILLS:

Sanchez completed 11 of 14 passes (that included a drop).

Tebow completed 10 of 11 passes.

Jets quarterbacks have so-so day at Jets OTAs

Published: Thursday, May 31, 2012, 2:00 PM Updated: Thursday, May 31, 2012, 2:02 PM

By Jenny Vrentas/The Star-Ledger

11108802-large.jpg

John Munson/The Star-LedgerMark Sanchez and Tim Tebow worked on red-zone offense today.

The Jets' scrutinized quarterback duo, Mark Sanchez and Tim Tebow, had a so-so day in today's OTA session, the second open to the media.

Today's focus was the red zone and two-minute drill. Sanchez finished the day completing 7 of 14 passes during 11-on-11 team drills, in his 20 snaps. He was 3-for-7 in a two-minute drive that started out promising but came up empty. Sanchez completed his first three passes of the hurry-up drive, then spiked the ball, but the drive stalled after a penalty. Sanchez's final three passes were incomplete, ending with a low pass to running back Joe McKnight in the end zone, which McKnight couldn't hang on to as he tumbled to the turf.

Tebow was 1-of-4 in eight snaps of 11-on-11 team drills. He did not do two-minute work. Greg McElroy ran the second-team offense during the two-minute period. His lone completion was a highlight -- a deep pass down the sideline for about 50 yards to rookie Stephen Hill.

Both Sanchez and Tebow threw a touchdown -- Sanchez to tight end Dustin Keller, and Tebow to Hill -- in 7-on-7 red-zone work.

Tebow did not take part in any of the special-team drills on the field this week. Last week, he was used as the personal protector on the punt team, but the Jets practiced their punt returns this week. Kyle Wilson and Dexter Jackson were the returners.

First-round pick Quinton Coples had a strong day. He had a pressure on Sanchez through the right side of the offensive line, and batted down one of Sanchez's passes in 11-on-11 drills. Safety Yeremiah Bell also recorded a "sack" of Sanchez.

WR Santonio Holmes is still excused as he is in Germany to visit American troops. CB Antonio Cromartie, who missed last week's OTA open to the media to be with his family, was back today. S LaRon Landry is still absent.

WR Jeremy Kerley sat out today as a precaution, after feeling tightness in his hamstring. Seventh-round pick Jordan White, who is still unsigned, was out this week and last because of a foot injury. LB David Harris (calf) returned to the field for team drills today. LG Matt Slauson (shoulder surgery) continues to sit out of team drills. Vlad Ducasse and Caleb Schlauderaff alternated series in his place.

Third-round pick Demario Davis, whom coach Rex Ryan has said he sees some attributes of Ray Lewis in, worked with the first-team sub defense during the two-minute drill.

© 2012 NJ.com. All rights reserved.

Darrelle Revis cannot guarantee presence at Jets training camp this year

Published: Thursday, May 31, 2012, 2:10 PM Updated: Thursday, May 31, 2012, 2:13 PM

By Conor Orr/The Star-Ledger

Darrelle Revis could not guarantee his presence at the start of Jets training camp this year.

Darrelle Revis once again faced questions regarding his contract and a potential holdout prior to this year's training camp. Mum as usual, the cornerback would not guarantee his presence for the first day in Cortland when asked directly.

"What's the point?" Revis said when asked if he could say he'd be in Cortland for the start of camp. "I'm getting ready for the season. You keep on stabbing at the same thing."

Revis was asked again.

"I don't know, that's all I'm telling you," he said. "I don't know if I am or not. I told you that a while back ago. So okay, I'm getting ready for this season, alright?"

His last holdout, which happened prior to the 2010 season, yielded a four-year deal of which he is now entering the third year.

Although their are steep penalties in place if Revis does opt to miss days of mandatory team activities, the cornerback would not say whether there was any issues lingering with his deal.

"If something is lingering, you will find out," he said. "It's going to be written, it's going to be in the papers.

"Like I just said, I'm getting ready for this year, and that's all I'm focused on is getting ready for this year. Whatever happens in the future happens. That's all I can tell you right now."

Revis said that he was providing a clear answer, although his main refrain continued to be that he's "getting ready for the season." When asked to clarify what "getting ready for the season" meant, Revis agreed that it could be taken in a few different ways.

"It could, and at this point in time, I'm getting ready for the season and whatever happens in the future happens," Revis said. "I just said that four or five times."

Jeremy Kerley said he sat out of OTAs today with "tightness" in his hamstring. He said he just wanted to "baby" the injury today and take every precaution. Kerley said the hamstring was not related to a back injury he aggravated while doing independent training in Texas.

© 2012 NJ.com. All rights reserved.

Wesley_Sykes@Wesley_Sykes

#Jets Wilkerson led team w/13 TFL, but only 3 sacks. He says he's worked on conditioning,speed & weight loss to turn TFL into sacks for '12

Wilkerson also said that he expects '12 season to be a "special one" for #Jets DL unit. Very versatile.

This DL has the potential to be absolutely disgusting. The stat above is one I hadn't heard before and is pretty damn impressive for a rookie to do. And while I know it's only an OTA, it sure sounds like Coples was seriously kicking some a$$ today. Lots of talent in that group and with two guys like Rex and Dunbar around to coach them, you have to love this unit.

"I don't know, that's all I'm telling you," he said. "I don't know if I am or not. I told you that a while back ago. So okay, I'm getting ready for this season, alright?"

"Like I just said, I'm getting ready for this year, and that's all I'm focused on is getting ready for this year. Whatever happens in the future happens. That's all I can tell you right now."

Revis said that he was providing a clear answer, although his main refrain continued to be that he's "getting ready for the season." When asked to clarify what "getting ready for the season" meant, Revis agreed that it could be taken in a few different ways.

"It could, and at this point in time, I'm getting ready for the season and whatever happens in the future happens," Revis said. "I just said that four or five times."

revis is saying I don't know. he's not saying yes or no. the media will rush to interpret this as "he's holding out" but then again, the dude is at OTA. I will wait until Revis actually holds out to bash him. Until then the only people saying he's gonna hold out are in the media.

revis is saying I don't know. he's not saying yes or no. the media will rush to interpret this as "he's holding out" but then again, the dude is at OTA. I will wait until Revis actually holds out to bash him. Until then the only people saying he's gonna hold out are in the media.

i really doubt Revis is going to hold out this year. Next year? Take it to the bank

Dennis Waszak Jr.@DWAZ73

Rex says best example of Sanchez's leadership is in classroom when Sparano fires out questions "and Mark has all the answers" #Jets

Manish Mehta @TheJetsStream

Rex on Mangold deciding not to go to Olympics to watch sister compete: "I was shocked when I read in the papers he turned me down." #nyj

Jane McManus@janesports

Ryan gave Mangold opportunity to see sister compete in Olympics: season important but "There's other things that are equally important."

Bart Hubbuch@HubbuchNYP

Rex said he was “shocked” Nick Mangold declined the Jets’ offer to skip training camp to watch his sister in the Olympics.

Jake Steinberg@Steiny31

"I was shocked that Mangold turned it down. I am going to try and change his mind. This is an amazing thing." - Mangold

Wesley_Sykes@Wesley_Sykes"Nick's a smart guy and can pick up the offense. Seeing sister compete in the Olympics is once in a lifetime opportunity" - Rex on Mangold

Jake Steinberg@Steiny31

"This is a once in a lifetime opportunity to see your sister compete against the world's best. If I would want to see that" - Rex on Mangold

Jenny Vrentas@JennyVrentas

Rex said where Sanchez has been a leader most this offseason is in classroom. When Sparano asks a question, "he has all the answers." #nyj

Rex impressed with Sanchez's classroom habits/knowledge: "Tony will fire out questions and Sanchez will have all the answers." #nyj

Kimberley A. Martin@KMart_LI

Rex said Sanchez is leading in the classroom. "That speaks volumes to his teammates." #nyj

Jane McManus@janesports

"There's time when Sanchez can throw it with anybody in this league, then there are times like, Oh gosh." Rex said.

Rex said he's always known Tebow has good touch on the deep ball. Working on accuracy overall. #nyj

Rex on Sanchez: "There's time when Sanchez can throw with anybody in this league. Other times, it's like 'Ooh gosh'" #nyj

"Can Tebow work on the accuracy? Yeah." - Rex on things we already knew #Jets #nfl

Dennis Waszak Jr.@DWAZ73Rex on Tebow: "Tim has a nice touch on the deep ball." Points to nice "TD" toss to @_StephenHill_ #Jets

But Rex's goal hasn't changed: "This group wants it," he said of the playoffs. #nyj

Jake Steinberg@Steiny31

"I thought Stephen Hill would struggle getting off the press. But he gets off the press really good." - Rex

Rex said he thought Stephen Hill would struggle getting off press coverage -- but he's been surprised by how well he's done. #nyj

Rex is impressed with WR Stephen Hill's ability to get off press coverage. #nyj

Jake Steinberg@Steiny31

"I think Tim has a nice touch on the deep ball." - Rex

Rex on Tebow: "I think he's done well. I think Tim has a nice touch on the deep ball." #nyj

Jane McManus@janesports

If you needed proof that Rex Ryan changed his Super Bowl philosophy, just read, "I made a mistake."

Rex on no Super Bowl predictions this year: "I admit it. I made a mistake by saying all that stuff before. The goal has never changed." #nyj

Jane McManus@janesports

"I admit it I made a mistake by saying all that stuff before," Ryan on Super Bowl talk.

Jake Steinberg@Steiny31

"I have to apologize for saying Super Bowl so many times. I made a mistake." - Rex

Rex admits he made a mistake talking Super Bowl all the time. #nyj

Jane McManus@janesports

Rex Ryan starts press conference by praising Stephen Hill and Coples. Hill caught TD pass from Tebow. Or as close as you get in OTAs. #Jets

Rex on @QueCeasar: "He looks like he's killing it out there." Coach added the 2012 draft class looks like it belongs #nyj

Jake Steinberg@Steiny31

"The top three picks look like they belong. Coples looks like he's killing it out there." - Rex

Rex on Top 3 draft picks: "They look like they belong. Coples looks like he's killing it out there." #nyj

Rex praises top 3 draft picks today. Said Coples "looks like he's killing it." #nyj

Rex says the top 3 picks all impressive today at OTAs. #Jets #nfl

So how do preach physicality? Easy, said Sparano: thru practice tempo, drills & nature of the plays & amount of pressure u put on them #nyj

#nyj have finished 5 of Sparano's 10 installations. He said they've been introduced to 90% of them & have worked on 60% of the installations

Kristian Dyer@KristianRDyer

Had a chance to chat with @YeremiahBell today about his long road to the NFL and what gave him his "steel resolve." #NYJ

Uptempo practice pace is key 4 Sparano. It forces guys not 2 think 2 much @ line of scrimmage & causes the gm 2 b "a shade slower." #nyj

As for bringing in Heyer/Willis, Sparano said this is time of yr 2 make those moves. Said he's been impressed w what Hunter has done #nyj

Rich Cimini@RichCimini

Sparano spoke highly of Mark Sanchez's work ethic and commitment to learning the new offense. Said he's hardest worker on offense. #Jets

Sparano praised S. Greene, adding he watched his film out of college. Said Greene's the type of "A Back" (physical, big) he likes #nyj

Asked about Dolphins doing Hard Knocks, Sparano said, "I'm a New York Jet." #nyj

Rich Cimini@RichCimini

Tony Sparano says he's been impressed with RT Wayne Hunter, claiming he's not a coach who gives fake praise. #Jets

Tony Sparano impressed with the time Mark Sanchez has put in to learn the offense. Praises mental fortitude as well. #nyj

Asked re: Dolphins getting "Hard Knocks," Sparano said: "I'm a New York Jet." #nyj

Sparano on Dolphins getting Hard Knocks and Jets not doing it: "I am a NY Jet. I don't make any decisions here. That's what I do." #nyj

Chris Nimbley@Cnimbley

Sparano says Sanchez has probably put in the most work to learn the system, as he should. Impressed w/ his work ethic #Jets

Sparano said Sanchez has "put in the most amount of work" to learning the new offense, "which he should." #nyj

Jake Steinberg@Steiny31

"Sanchez has probably put in the most amount of work to learn the new offense." - Sparano

Sparano on Tebow: "He's making good progress. So I haven't been surprised at all." #nyj

Jake Steinberg@Steiny31

"I've been impressed with what Wayne's does. The guy has done a nice job out there for us." - Sparano

Sparano on what he's seen from Wayne Hunter: "I've been impressed with what he's done. I don't just say things to just say things." #nyj

Chris Nimbley@Cnimbley

Sparano on Hunter, "From what I've seen at camp, I'm impressed with what he's done. And I'm not saying that just to say it." #Jets

Sparano said he's been impressed w/Wayne Hunter and, "I don't just say things to say things." #nyj

Jake Steinberg@Steiny31

"If I continue to play ball like I usually do, we’ll prob. be back at the same position we were this yr” -Revis in '10 on holding out in '12

Sparano says Vlad Ducasse has played four practices at left guard. #nyj

Sparano: "I have high expectations for this group and don't mind telling them that." #nyj

Sparano: "I have high expectations for this group and don't mind telling them that." #nyj

Jake Steinberg@Steiny31

I have high expectations for this group, and I don't mind telling them that. - Sparano

Chris Nimbley@Cnimbley

Re: Shonn Greene, "He fits in just fine." Likes the ability Greene brings & has high expectations for him & this group #Jets

Jake Steinberg@Steiny31

"I remember watching Shonn's college tape and it was tremendous. Has all the qualities I look for in those type of A back players. - Sparano

Sparano on having physical mentality on offense: "Words are words. We'll get a chance to line up down the road and measure it." #nyj

Chris Nimbley@Cnimbley

Sparano says he likes his player's practicing at a quicker speed to force them to get it right & process things faster to be ready for game.

Chris Nimbley@CnimbleySparano said they finished up installation package 5. They'll have around 10 overall. This is 2 or 3rd time thru all 10 #Jets

Sparano says team has finished Install ,o. 5 today. There will be 10 installations. #nyj

Sparano on no huddle: "I think there's a time and place for all that stuff." Says increasing tempo is essential. #nyj

Chris Nimbley@Cnimbley

Sparano says Hill still has a lot to learn about their route tree, but from workouts & OTAs he likes everything he's seen. #Jets

Chris Nimbley@Cnimbley

Sparano says all the QBs have done really well so far, no QB controversy yet #Jets

Sparano on QBs: "Mark has done some really nice things. Tim has done some good things." #nyj

Bart Scott defends choice to keep kids out of football, says Roger Goodell shouldn't cancel Pro Bowl: Kenrick El... http://bit.ly/NkcZVZ

Tony Sparano said he's pleased at the faster pace at practice. Rex + players have repeatedly talked about importance of that. #nyj

Rex said perception is #pats have widened gap b/t themselves & #nyj. But "I don't think so," he said, "we'll see."

Rex on if the gap between Patriots and rest of AFC East has widenend: "That's the perception out there... You know I don't believe it." #nyj

Bart Hubbuch@HubbuchNYP

Rex says he expects that Revis will report for the start of training camp but says it’s a matter between Revis and Mike Tannenbaum. #Jets

Rex likens Wilkerson to Revis in the sense of being the hardest worker he can every day. Says he can be best at his position. #Jets #nfl

But Rex declined to specifically comment on Revis' contract situation. #nyj

Rex said he does expect Revis to be at start of camp. "I'm excited about this upcoming season and having Revis there," he said. #nyj

Rex says @Revis24 has a Walter Payton-type mentality. "That guy will have no regrets when his career is over." #nyj

Rex says he expects Revis to be there at the start of training camp. #nyj

Jake Steinberg@Steiny31

"I think Revis will be there at the start of camp." - Rex

Jane McManus@janesports

Ryan expects Revis to be at training camp. #Jets

Rex Ryan compares Darrelle Revis' competitiveness to Walter Payton. #nyj

Why is Revis the best? Rex says its bc he pushes himself every second. Says Revis tries to pick off his throws in walk-thrus. #Jets #nfl

Jake Steinberg@Steiny31

"Revis is Revis out there. He's the best because he competes every single day. He's going to have no regrets when his career is over." - Rex

Jane McManus@janesports

Ryan said it stung to drive by Meadowlands with Giants in home playoff game. "Just like the Giants last year, I want to be special." #Jets

Rex Ryan: "I want to win. I want to be special. Like the Giants last year. I want to be special."

Rex: "Just like the #nyg were last year. I want to be special." #nyj cc: @TomRock_Newsday

Jake Steinberg@Steiny31

"Seeing the Giants in the home playoff game stings. I want to win. I want to be special. That's what's driving me." - Rex

Rex Ryan: "I'm putting a lot of pressure on myself... We expect to win. We want to be in that race...I want us to be in a home playoff game"

Jake Steinberg@Steiny31

"I'm putting a lot of pressure on myself because of what I expect from this team. What our players expect. What our fans expect." - Rex

Rex said he isn't worried re: Landry picking up defense come TC. Hasn't spoken 2 the safety, but has txted him #nyj

Dennis Waszak Jr.@DWAZ73

Rex says despite Landry not being at OTAs, thinks vet safety won't struggle to pick up defense. #Jets

Rex says that Laron Landry, who isn't at OTAs, has the playbook. Rex says he's texted Landry a few times. Not concerned he'll pick up D #nyj

Jake Steinberg@Steiny31

"Maybin has just scratched the surface. I think he's going to benefit from Dunbar. I expect him to have a big year rushing the passer." -Rex

Jane McManus@janesports

Ryan said he has texted Landry, who isn't at OTAs. "You know these young guys thy don't talk on the phone." #Jets

Rex says Landry has a playbook and they've texted a few times. Said he doesn't think he'll struggle picking up defense in camp. #nyj

Rex said he wants #nyj to be strong -- literally. Wants them 2 look @ themselves in the mirror, pump their fists & say "Yeah!" (Seriously.)

Bart Hubbuch@HubbuchNYP

Hmmmm: Rex confirms voluntary OTA participation dipped to “probably 97%” after two straight years of 100%. #Jets

Dennis Waszak Jr.@DWAZ73

RT @janesports Rex Ryan said players asked him to wear long sleeves because weight loss makes his arms look like twigs. #Jets

Rex on gains players have made in weight room: "We want to play the part for sure, but we want to look the part too." #nyj

Dennis Waszak Jr.@DWAZ73

Rex "shocked" @nickmangold turned down his offer to go to London to watch sister compete.

Jane McManus@janesports

Rex Ryan said players asked him to wear long sleeves because weight loss makes his arms look like twigs. #Jets

Jane McManus@janesports

Ryan will try to talk Mangold out of decision not to watch Holly in London Olympics. He doesn't think Mangold sees the importance yet. #Jets

Jane McManus@janesports

Mangold won't go see sister Holly compete in Olympic weightlifting. Said London is too far and training camp is too pivotal. #Jets

Rex says Jets have only used Tim Tebow at quarterback (on offense) so far. #nyj

Jake Steinberg@Steiny31

"We want to be perceived as a run first team. We want to be a physical football team." - Rex

Rex said Olympics is "a 1x in a lifetime oppty" & he was shocked Mangold turned down his offer. Said he's gonna convince C 2 reconsider

They played HS ball together? Didnt know that.

I'm very excited about our book ends.

They played 1 year together at a school here in VA called Hargrave Military allot of kids with D1 talent end up there because of issue with grades or poor scores on the collage entrance exams.. they offer whats called Post-graduate (PG) competition this is how they explain it on the schools web site

PG is offered in basketball and football. Hargrave’s PG sports are nationally recognized leaders in PG competition both on and off the court. Academic enhancement, SAT improvement and opportunities to play before college scouts ensure every advantage goes toward the PG athlete.

Conclusion :

Sanchez still better than Tebow at QB. Stephen Hill is the real deal and Keller drops. Coples impresses and Wilkerson is a beast.. McKnight is puking the ball this season and Bart Scott's tongue is in mid-season form. And yeah players hate Goddell.

Anything i missed ?

Conclusion :

Sanchez still better than Tebow at QB. Stephen Hill is the real deal and Keller drops. Coples impresses and Wilkerson is a beast.. McKnight is puking the ball this season and Bart Scott's tongue is in mid-season form. And yeah players hate Goddell.

Anything i missed ?

Nails!

Conclusion :

Anything i missed ?

Revis is probably going to hold out again this year

Archived