Darrelle Revis says sit down with Jets GM, owner has to happen 'sooner or later'

Ryno the Jet

this is the understatement of the year. He's not replaceable. They cannot replace Revis. There are no other players in the league that can shut down Megatron on an island. There are no other players who can take away the other team's #1 WR.

We talk about money, why should he play for half of what he's worth this year? Because he played for what he was worth last year? The guy should be getting franchise tag money every year. He is the franchise.

you all think it's about money it's also about respect. Why should anyone on the Jets make more than Revis?

Do you have any idea how NFL contracts work? I'm serious, because it doesn't seem like you do. You and Revis seem to be the only two people in the world who think that any money paid applies to that year and only that year, and has no future significance whatsoever, even in spite of the fact that NFL contracts, and their impact on the salary cap, are very specifically built to say the exact opposite. If you look at it in the vacuum that you want to, then Revis was in fact massively overpaid these past two years, especially when you consider that his first half of 2010 he was an out of shape fat-a$$ who played like crap when he wasn't on the sideline, and then the second half of last year saw a significant decline in his play. The point is he was not just getting money for those seasons alone, he was getting paid money in advance that he has still yet to earn as it was to cover the length of his contract, not just the two years of it he felt like honoring.

This isn't even getting into the ridiculous over-dramatization that you use to paint Revis. You're acting like the Jets would have to spend the rest of their team history playing with 10 players if they got rid of Revis. The guy has become so vastly overrated it's ridiculous. He is still absolutely great, and may be the best at his position, but in the end he's still only a CB and is far from infallible. That's further proven by the fact that he continually has his worst games against the receivers who he faces most often (Stevie Johnson, Wes Welker and, before the Phins traded him, Brandon Marshall have all had plenty of success against him in recent years). Not to mention, he has come nowhere close to being able to replicate his 2009 season and for the last 8 games of the season last year, wasn't even the Jets best CB. I still think he's great and would rather keep him than not, but neither this team nor this defense lives and dies by him alone, and there's only so much trouble, and money, he's really worth. The guy basically wants to be paid like a franchise QB and the truth is, no matter how good he is, no CB does not deserve that kind of money, and there's not even a slightly reasonable debate that could be made otherwise.

this is the understatement of the year. He's not replaceable. They cannot replace Revis. There are no other players in the league that can shut down Megatron on an island. There are no other players who can take away the other team's #1 WR.

We talk about money, why should he play for half of what he's worth this year? Because he played for what he was worth last year? The guy should be getting franchise tag money every year. He is the franchise.

you all think it's about money it's also about respect. Why should anyone on the Jets make more than Revis?

Don't let the facts get in the way. Revis' contract was front-loaded. He knew it and accepted it. His aggregate pay for the four years is more than fair. 2014 and 2015 are the years where his pay will be out of whack if he maintains his current level of play, and those are the years that were expected by all parties to be renegotiated.

So far as his skills are concerned, I do not think they are over rated. He is currently the best CB in the game. However, his value and impact is most certainly over rated. No CB, not even Revis, has the same, or even remotely similar, impact on wins and losses as a franchise QB. And no way in hell should he be paid as such on his next deal -- which by the way will kick-in in 2014.

I wouldnt say Revis' play significantly dropped off the end of last season...I still dont get that one. Johnson was the only guy really that gave him a hard time.

The game he had against Nicks was one of the best of his career.

The last Dolphin game everyone just quit anyways.

Would love to hear the statistical argument behind this one considering we have Revis-less data available and it in no way supports this statement.

You would just instinctively know this if you lived in Bitonti World. Right around the corner from Bizzaro World.

You would just instinctively know this if you lived in Bitonti World. Right around the corner from Bizzaro World.

I understand how NFL contracts work the bottom line is the front load wasn't enough. If Revis made 24 mil last year yes that would be fair to have him make less this year. but he made 13 last year and 13 the year before he earned that money, that's about the franchise tag for his position. Should this player get franchise money every year, i'd make the case that he's earned it with his play on the field. the Jets didn't do him some great favor in 10 and 11 years. He was paid what he was worth and that should be the case again. some players get overpaid one year and underpaid the next, Revis was never overpaid. He was paid what a superstar makes. the Jets try to get a deal with Revis like at the end of his rookie deal when they wanted him to play for 750k and this when he will make around 6. Revis is a steal at 6.

Revis is "worth" what another team would pay him if he was a UFA right now. Does anyone think that Revis wouldn't have teams clawing at each other for the right to give him $12-$13 mil per? Revis knows it. His agents know it. Tannenbaum knows it. The dude has another 2, 3 years of max earning potential left. I don't blame him for trying to squeeze every penny out of them.

Revis is "worth" what another team would pay him if he was a UFA right now. Does anyone think that Revis wouldn't have teams clawing at each other for the right to give him $12-$13 mil per? Revis knows it. His agents know it. Tannenbaum knows it. The dude has another 2, 3 years of max earning potential left. I don't blame him for trying to squeeze every penny out of them.

The same could be said for my moderating skills......Maxman had better be ready to pay.

I understand how NFL contracts work the bottom line is the front load wasn't enough. If Revis made 24 mil last year yes that would be fair to have him make less this year. but he made 13 last year and 13 the year before he earned that money, that's about the franchise tag for his position. Should this player get franchise money every year, i'd make the case that he's earned it with his play on the field. the Jets didn't do him some great favor in 10 and 11 years. He was paid what he was worth and that should be the case again. some players get overpaid one year and underpaid the next, Revis was never overpaid. He was paid what a superstar makes. the Jets try to get a deal with Revis like at the end of his rookie deal when they wanted him to play for 750k and this when he will make around 6. Revis is a steal at 6.

Interesting. So you think Revis should be paid approx $13 million per year? Even if we ignore the fact that Revis came nowhere close to earning $13 million in 2010 (considering he was horribly out of shape to start the season then, because of that, played poorly and was a direct cause of his subsequent injury and missed games), there's still no justification for Revis getting a new contract this year. For starters, if he doesn't hold out, his last 3 years are voided and his total contract is 4 years for $46 million, which averages out to $11.5 million / year. So are we to believe that this massive issue with the contract is $6 million over the life of the entire contract? Even then, that still wouldn't be an issue until next year. I'm not sure what your numbers are based on, but the truth is Revis was paid $32.5 million over the past 2 years and is getting paid $7.5 million for this year. So even then, you're talking $40 million over 3 years which still has him earning MORE than $13 million / year, so if anything your numbers of what he should earn would suggest he by no means deserves a new contract yet.

So the reality seems to be that Revis expects to be paid like a franchise QB and the blunt truth is he's simply not worth it.

Even if that's true, through the end of this year Revis' contract averages out to over $13 million / year, so that doesn't say a whole lot for the merit of a potential holdout this year.

Even if that's true, through the end of this year Revis' contract averages out to over $13 million / year, so that doesn't say a whole lot for the merit of a potential holdout this year.

I've chosen to compartmentalize it. I'm gonna support the philosophy behind his need to hold out, but I'm also going to be really annoyed by the existence of the whole situation. If I was Tannenbaum, I'd get Revis' people in a room and give him the choice between his existing deal (which lets him go UFA in 2014) OR taking a three-year, ~$30 mil contract with no signing bonus and no injury guarantees. No cash up front means he'll have to show up to get paid, but he'll still be the highest paid corner in the game (no way Nnamdi stays at that rate two years from now). If he wants to be a mercenary, treat him like one. See how much he's willing to gamble for the cash.

I agree with you that we've probably reached a point with Revis that dictates making a move with him, especially if we have to go find a new QB in the near future. If Sanchez doesn't turn it around, it probably won't make sense to have a mega-expensive CB eating up that much cap space anyway. It'll be time to divert those funds back into the offense by letting Revis go to a team, like Dallas, that's a good CB away from being serious contenders.

I've chosen to compartmentalize it. I'm gonna support the philosophy behind his need to hold out, but I'm also going to be really annoyed by the existence of the whole situation. If I was Tannenbaum, I'd get Revis' people in a room and give him the choice between his existing deal (which lets him go UFA in 2014) OR taking a three-year, ~$30 mil contract with no signing bonus and no injury guarantees. No cash up front means he'll have to show up to get paid, but he'll still be the highest paid corner in the game (no way Nnamdi stays at that rate two years from now). If he wants to be a mercenary, treat him like one. See how much he's willing to gamble for the cash.

I agree with you that we've probably reached a point with Revis that dictates making a move with him, especially if we have to go find a new QB in the near future. If Sanchez doesn't turn it around, it probably won't make sense to have a mega-expensive CB eating up that much cap space anyway. It'll be time to divert those funds back into the offense by letting Revis go to a team, like Dallas, that's a good CB away from being serious contenders.

Definitely agree with this. If the Jets can work out a fair and reasonable extension with him than so be it, but there are two things I would make absolutely clear to him and his agent. The first would be I would not give them one extra cent this year under any circumstances, the ridiculous amount of money he received up front more than covers at least three years and he has to honor that as he's come nowhere close to earning the money he's been paid these past two years, so any new contract would only be for increased pay and years starting next year. I would also let them know there would be absolutely no up front money, certainly not prior to next year and not any of significance at any point in time. If he has a problem with that then he can honor his contract for these next two years as is and test FA then. Those would be his only two choices unless he decides he wants to wait to continue his NFL career until the Jets can afford the cap hit associated with trading him away, assuming adequate compensation is available then, and even still knowing he'll never come close to getting paid what he wants after one to two years of sitting at home. After all, considering how ridiculously out of shape he was after holding out for one month, I can't imagine what a disaster he'd be after that much time off.

you guys keep bringing up the false choice between Revis and a franchise QB. like there are franchise QB's on the open market just waiting to be paid Revis money. Or that Revis is preventing the team from acquiring Aaron Rodgers. have you seen the QB market? Matt Flynn is your choice. or a 4x neck surgery peyton manning. There are about 5-10 real franchise QB's in the league and the other 20+ teams would have the money available for these players. But that's not the choice.

The way i see it, if you get a franchise player, at any position, you lock him up. I don't care if it's punter. The Jets got a franchise center and locked him up. they have a franchise CB and play year-to-year games with him.

you guys keep bringing up the false choice between Revis and a franchise QB. like there are franchise QB's on the open market just waiting to be paid Revis money. Or that Revis is preventing the team from acquiring Aaron Rodgers. have you seen the QB market? Matt Flynn is your choice. or a 4x neck surgery peyton manning. There are about 5-10 real franchise QB's in the league and the other 20+ teams would have the money available for these players. But that's not the choice.

The way i see it, if you get a franchise player, at any position, you lock him up. I don't care if it's punter. The Jets got a franchise center and locked him up. they have a franchise CB and play year-to-year games with him.

If Sanchez flops this year, the Jets will need to open up a lot of cash simply to cut or trade him, then to sign/draft a replacement, then also to prop the offense up with better personnel to cover for essentially having no QB in Rex's fifth and sixth years. It's not just Revis OR a QB. It'll be Revis OR an offense. Tannenbaum put a lot of eggs in a few baskets here.

Definitely agree with this. If the Jets can work out a fair and reasonable extension with him than so be it, but there are two things I would make absolutely clear to him and his agent. The first would be I would not give them one extra cent this year under any circumstances, the ridiculous amount of money he received up front more than covers at least three years and he has to honor that as he's come nowhere close to earning the money he's been paid these past two years, so any new contract would only be for increased pay and years starting next year. I would also let them know there would be absolutely no up front money, certainly not prior to next year and not any of significance at any point in time. If he has a problem with that then he can honor his contract for these next two years as is and test FA then. Those would be his only two choices unless he decides he wants to wait to continue his NFL career until the Jets can afford the cap hit associated with trading him away, assuming adequate compensation is available then, and even still knowing he'll never come close to getting paid what he wants after one to two years of sitting at home. After all, considering how ridiculously out of shape he was after holding out for one month, I can't imagine what a disaster he'd be after that much time off.

Holy Christ. We agree!

I think we also agree that it's on the organization now to get this resolved one way or another. Getting in pissing matches every two years with the best player in franchise history makes them look minor league.

Holy Christ. We agree!

I think we also agree that it's on the organization now to get this resolved one way or another. Getting in pissing matches every two years with the best player in franchise history makes them look minor league.

JiF?

Talk about the most insanely flawed logic I've ever heard. It doesn't matter if the Revis contract is directly responsible for the Jets lack of a franchise QB, nobody has ever made such a claim. The point is he simply does not, under any logical circumstances, deserve to make as much money as a player who is FAR more important to his team's overall success than Revis is to his team. Whether or not it ends up directly impacting the Jets QB position, it most certainly does impact the rest of their roster, as the Jets end up allocating far too much position that doesn't deserve it and simple logic dictates that means the money is going to have to come out of other positions on the team, which will limit their ability to sign other FAs and/or extend other players' contracts.

Trying to blame these "year-to-year games" on the Jets is an absolute joke that there is absolutely no basis for whatsoever. The team has made no qualms about paying him of each year of his signed contract, it's Revis that refuses to honor it. If you don't have any problems with that then that's your choice, but trying to play him as the victim is completely laughable.

Holy Christ. We agree!

Yeah, definitely. And the fact that we agree can only mean one thing: we're indisputably correct on this one.

I mean, even more so than I am normally.

The point is he simply does not, under any logical circumstances, deserve to make as much money as a player who is FAR more important to his team's overall success than Revis is to his team.

who are we talking about here? The fictional franchise quarterback who is going to replace Sanchez with in 2 years? You are talking about a player that doesn't exist. The Jets can't draft Andrew Luck because they didn't go 2-14.

it's Revis that refuses to honor it. If you don't have any problems with that then that's your choice, but trying to play him as the victim is completely laughable.

I never said Revis was a victim. What I said was it's in the best interests of the team to lock up their best player, and perhaps the best defender in the league. They should give him a retire as a Jet contract. I don't see what is the downside?

I love how this board can get all excited about Kenrick Ellis, Hayden Smith or whoever but screw Darrelle Revis. I mean he's only the best cornerback possibly of all time. Why should they pay HIM?

Here is a Transcript of the sit down:

Revis: Uhm yeah like you know I played real good, and you know that I need to be respected so you know I need some more dollars and that will show more respect you know.

Johnson:...WTF are you talking about...get this fcuk head outta here.......

who are we talking about here? The fictional franchise quarterback who is going to replace Sanchez with in 2 years? You are talking about a player that doesn't exist. The Jets can't draft Andrew Luck because they didn't go 2-14.

WTF are you talking about? Do us a favor and stop inventing arguments so that you have something to counter. The point is simple, a franchise QB is far, far, far more important to his team's success than Revis is to the Jets' success. Therefore, Revis does NOT deserve to be paid like one and I don't give a **** if the Jets haven't found their own yet, that still doesn't change that fact.

I never said Revis was a victim. What I said was it's in the best interests of the team to lock up their best player, and perhaps the best defender in the league. They should give him a retire as a Jet contract. I don't see what is the downside?

I love how this board can get all excited about Kenrick Ellis, Hayden Smith or whoever but screw Darrelle Revis. I mean he's only the best cornerback possibly of all time. Why should they pay HIM?

The downside is that every single shred of evidence suggests that Revis can NOT be trusted to honor a contract, period. He has put himself in the situation where the Jets would have to be complete idiots to give him the type of long-term, big-money contract he's looking for and he literally has only himself to blame for that. And your little "Why should they pay HIM?" nonsense is just ridiculous. Newsflash, they have!! You're acting like this guy is earning a minimum salary and it's a joke, he is being compensated MORE than fairly. He held out and then was massively overpaid for his draft slot on his rookie contract and yet still refused to honor it. Then he was given a new enormous contract after holdout #2, which he already wants more money on top of after two years when he was come nowhere even close to earning the $32.5 million he's been paid on it so far. There is no basis for him deserving more money this year and I've yet to see a single person who defends Revis even attempt to make an argument to the contrary, because there's not one to be made that $13.3 million / year isn't more than enough.

If the point is he should have more years added onto the contract and his pay for next year bumped up in the process that's one thing, but he doesn't deserve one extra cent this year and simply has proven beyond doubt that he cannot be trusted with any up front payment, as he'll pretend he never received it and refuse to ever actually earn it. Revis made this bed with his antics and now he has to sleep in it. If he's got a problem with it that's too damn bad for him.

The point is simple, a franchise QB is far, far, far more important to his team's success than Revis is to the Jets' success. Therefore, Revis does NOT deserve to be paid like one and I don't give a **** if the Jets haven't found their own yet, that still doesn't change that fact.

ok so just so I understand you are saying the Jets shouldn't pay Revis, just in case they find an Aaron Rodgers. You know there's a good chance they might never find this player, right?

He held out and then was massively overpaid for his draft slot on his rookie contract and yet still refused to honor it. Then he was given a new enormous contract after holdout #2, which he already wants more money on top of after two years when he was come nowhere even close to earning the $32.5 million he's been paid on it so far. There is no basis for him deserving more money this year

Revis was never overpaid. His skills are so unique that he was either underpaid or fairly paid but he was never overpaid. If you think the defense will be just fine without Revis then there's no point in continuing this discussion. He's not replaceable. He is the franchise QB of the defense. He's a top 10 in the entire NFL player, regardless of position.

if i remember correctly Bleedin you are one of those who believe that Mario Williams or Haloti Ngata would be more valuable than Revis? Is that true? I may have confused you with someone else. Regardless it's not true. there are good DT there are good DE, there are no other Revis type CB in the league. He should be paid like Michael Jordan got paid. The highest paid player on the Jets, all the time, period.

ok so just so I understand you are saying the Jets shouldn't pay Revis, just in case they find an Aaron Rodgers. You know there's a good chance they might never find this player, right?

No, I will say it one more time. Revis shouldn't be paid that much because he does not deserve it. There is this crazy little thing in the NFL called a salary cap, and if there wasn't than maybe you would have a point, but since there is, the truth is the pay of any one player (particularly excessive pay) ultimately affects the entire team, which means spending excessive amounts of money on a player beyond what you should is a major problem, no matter how much that player really wants that much money.

Revis was never overpaid.

If you believe Revis' current contract should be thrown away as of today, that would mean he was paid $32.5 million for these past two seasons. That is absolutely overpaid. If you feel otherwise, I would love to hear some specifics with real factual support to them beyond vague unproven comments like "the entire team is made better by his mere presence and would would fail without him" that makes you feel that way.

His skills are so unique that he was either underpaid or fairly paid but he was never overpaid. If you think the defense will be just fine without Revis then there's no point in continuing this discussion. He's not replaceable. He is the franchise QB of the defense. He's a top 10 in the entire NFL player, regardless of position.

if i remember correctly Bleedin you are one of those who believe that Mario Williams or Haloti Ngata would be more valuable than Revis? Is that true? I may have confused you with someone else. Regardless it's not true. there are good DT there are good DE, there are no other Revis type CB in the league. He should be paid like Michael Jordan got paid. The highest paid player on the Jets, all the time, period.

Don't get me wrong, Revis is a damn good player, but as RJF said earlier, there is proof to counter the claim that this defense cannot possibly survive without Revis, as it did just that to start the 2010 season (first out of shape and not playing up to par, then injured and out of action). Once again, I think Revis is great and would much rather have a player of his talents than not, but that doesn't suddenly make him deserving of being paid at a rate of the type of player that has far more impact on a team than he does. A CB, no matter how good, simply cannot and does not have the kind of impact on their team that deserves crippling their ability to pick up FAs and re-sign other players by taking up an enormous chunk of the salary cap. The only position in all of football deserving of that is QB (and there's still even other positions that come closer to that than CB). Just because the Jets don't have a QB worth doing that for does not suddenly justify doing it for another position that isn't worth that much, no matter how talented that person may be. You could have the best punter in NFL history, you're still not going to pay him $15 million a year. It's an extreme example of course, but the principle is the same. Regardless of the player, the position itself only holds so much value to it, and that value for a CB is far below $16.25 million.

You could have the best punter in NFL history, you're still not going to pay him $15 million a year. It's an extreme example of course, but the principle is the same.

no but he should be the highest paid punter in the game. Brandon Carr got 25.5 mil guaranteed. Cortland Finnegan got about the same. I think Revis should be making more than these guys. and you keep bringing up 2010 and 2011, those seasons are gone. Revis played for that money and he earned it. the defense has always been well above average, if not elite.

End of the day you don't have to believe me. Ask Rex ryan what Revis means to his defense. That's why they paid him in 2010 and it's why they are gonna pay him again.

no but he should be the highest paid punter in the game. Brandon Carr got 25.5 mil guaranteed. Cortland Finnegan got about the same. I think Revis should be making more than these guys.

That's one thing, but I feel beyond confident that neither one has a contract close to $16.5 million a year. Is either one even close to the $13.3 million / year Revis would make through the end of this year?

That's one thing, but I feel beyond confident that neither one has a contract close to $16.5 million a year. Is either one even close to the $13.3 million / year Revis would make through the end of this year?

Im not a contract expert but yeah they are close. They are in the 10-11 range easy. We are focusing on pure dollars but what about future security? Revis is 26 he's the same age as Brandon Carr, why should Carr have a more secure financial future than Revis? Why should the Cowboys have more money promised to Carr than the Jets have to Revis? Is it because of the 2011 and 2010 money? I don't think that's a good enough reason. Revis vastly outperforms every corner in the league. He's like the Megatron or Gronk for his position. He should be on his own tier, like those guys are on their own tiers. In general i think you are underrating what other guys get. Megatron got a 100 million dollar contract. Carl Nicks makes 10+ mil a year. It's a different world now, you don't have to be a QB to get paid.

This is the bottom line with Revis, everything else in this thread is bullsh*t.

Honoring contracts? Bullsh*t. Letting him sit for a year or more? Also massive bullsh*t.

I'd like to see Revis play this year under his existing deal, but the fact is that he once again holds all the cards. The bonus money they paid him means that the Jets are on the hook for over $10M in a cap hit if they trade him. If they let him sit, they're without his services, and without the services of anyone they might get back in a trade. Also, the longer they let him sit, the lower his trade value becomes. It's really not an option for them. People here will bitch and moan about principle, but principle doesn't win football games.

I know this board would go ballistic, but if Revis were to threaten to hold out again, the Jets would probably be wise to throw a couple million at him this year just to make him happy - before redoing his entire contract next year.

i am usually in the "play out your deal" camp but until revis isn't the best cb in the league he should be paid like it. if he tears his acl it's over. if you want to play with the big boys and have elite talent you need to pay for it. pay the man.

Archived