Football Gameplan's 2012 NFL Team Preview - NY Jets

EmDiggy

EM always makes some good points but 4th in the division?

Miami has ALONG ways to go.

Everybody is jumping on the Bills bandwagon but Jets should still be favorites for the wildcard.

I can't see the Jets realistically jumping the Pats but if everything plays out right for them it's possible.

I was good with this until prediction time. I thought it was in-depth and insightful, except for competition at the QB position having the potential to be a real issue.

But forecasting a 4th place finish (another way of saying last place in case you didn't know) is absolutely inconsistent with everything that preceded it. Come on man!

Thanks Gang for the Props!! LOL! I'm sorry for the last place prediction... But remember, it's June!

I honestly think that the Jets & Dolphins are essentially the same ball club..

1. Both have capable but questionable QBs

2. Both have 1 Playmaking WR & TE the rest of the WR corps have question marks

3. Both OLs & DLs are talented

4. Both LB corps are very solid

5. Both secondaries are very good..although a slight edge go to the Jets

7. Both are built to run the ball and play good defense

Thanks Gang for the Props!! LOL! I'm sorry for the last place prediction... But remember, it's June!

I honestly think that the Jets & Dolphins are essentially the same ball club..

1. Both have capable but questionable QBs

2. Both have 1 Playmaking WR & TE the rest of the WR corps have question marks

3. Both OLs & DLs are talented

4. Both LB corps are very solid

5. Both secondaries are very good..although a slight edge go to the Jets

7. Both are built to run the ball and play good defense

Who in the world does Miami have as a playmaking WR or TE? I like Fasano but he isnt a playmaker. Hes versatile in that he can catch and block buts hes more in the Becht mode than being a playmaker. Maybe someone steps up but essentially they have a team of Jeremy Kerleys at WR.

Im not sure if either team is built to run the ball to be honest. Miami's backs arent built for that kind of game and I dont think its really a strength of their line. With Hunter Id say the same about us as well.

The only way I see Miami finishing ahead of the Jets is if Moore, who was the 2nd best QB in the AFC East last year, gets the job and plays ok or if everyone in the league is caught off guard by a new coaching staff. If not I cant see any possible way they finish anything but dead last. I see the Jets and Bills being somewhat close, but just cant see Miami doing anything.

Who in the world does Miami have as a playmaking WR or TE? I like Fasano but he isnt a playmaker. Hes versatile in that he can catch and block buts hes more in the Becht mode than being a playmaker. Maybe someone steps up but essentially they have a team of Jeremy Kerleys at WR.

Im not sure if either team is built to run the ball to be honest. Miami's backs arent built for that kind of game and I dont think its really a strength of their line. With Hunter Id say the same about us as well.

The only way I see Miami finishing ahead of the Jets is if Moore, who was the 2nd best QB in the AFC East last year, gets the job and plays ok or if everyone in the league is caught off guard by a new coaching staff. If not I cant see any possible way they finish anything but dead last. I see the Jets and Bills being somewhat close, but just cant see Miami doing anything.

Mia Solid: Ochocinco

NYJ Solid: Holmes

Davone Bess vs Jeremy Kirley --> Bess

Fasano vs Keller --> Push (in my honest opinion)

RBs Bush, Thomas, Lamar Miller vs Greene, McKnight, Ganaway --> Dolphins

I was good with this until prediction time. I thought it was in-depth and insightful, except for competition at the QB position having the potential to be a real issue.

But forecasting a 4th place finish (another way of saying last place in case you didn't know) is absolutely inconsistent with everything that preceded it. Come on man!

Exactly. The entire video just got me super hyped then he ended it with 4th, not in the AFC, but in the AFC east. Thats last place man. That was rather inconsistent, and WAAAY underrated given that Miami is starting practically from scratch. To not even be ahead of them just made me shake my head.

I think the Bills had an outstanding offseason and the Patriots are always going to get the benefit of the doubt as long as Belicheat/Brady is there. 4th place is laughable.

Great video though. End my statement on a good note! :-)

Ocho just got "cut" and was on the sidelines for much of last season. He must prove that he's still "solid". Also, comparing QB's would have been nice because even if Ocho is solid I doubt Miami's QB is as solid as Sanchez or Tebow for that matter because he's an "unproven" rookie.

Push on TE's? I'd have to go with Keller over Fasano. Keller had double the amount of receptions and yards last year. For their career Keller has 50 more catches than Fasano 500 more yards yet Fasano has 2 extra years as a pro over Keller. Fasano has never recorded a year with 40 or more catches in a season, while Keller worst year as a pro came with 45 catches. Fasano's best season yards wise was 528, while Kellers worst season yards wise was 522. I cant call this a push brother.

Bess is better, but Kerely has opportunity for a breakout year with Hill blowing the top and Holmes being the clutch go to guy.

Im calling push on the RB's And though Miami may have the best RB out of the bunch in Bush, Bush is also injury prone and he's not leagues better than Greene either. Greene was just a hair behind bush in total yards, while avg. 4.2 ypc (bush averaged a beast 5.0) and they scored the same amount of TD's. The difference imo is that Bush is notorious for fumbling the football. So with that 5.0 avg comes a few lost fumbles mixed in with some injuries. Bush has been in the league since 06, which was also his first and last year he played in all 16 games. To Bush credit, every time he touches the ball there's potential for him to take it to the house and he can also catch out of the backfield. That if anything is why I wouldnt argue him being better than Greene overall, however, the running back comparison I could certainly argue "push" on given that you're almost guaranteed not to have Bush for the entire season due to some injury, hence this season being Bush's very first 1000 yard season as a 7 year pro.

Em, good video again. Love your stuff.

I'm OK with much of what you say, but these points stick out to me:

-How can you only give a "slight" edge to the Jets secondary over the Dolphins? I just don't see this - at all. The Jets secondary gets a HUGE edge over Miami. Revis is far, far superior compared to both Davis and Smith. They're not even comparable. One can also make the argument that Cromartie is better than both of them. We just took the guy who I believe was their best safety. And we have a 1st round corner as our nickle. So unless they signed Troy Polamalu, I can't see where you're coming from on this one.

-I don't think the QB situations are comparable. Sanchez has been disappointing to some degree, and yes, he's got a new offensive system... but he's also got 3 years of experience in the pro game. I would take my chances with a year 4 Sanchez over a year 1 Tannehill. No question.

-No offense to Dolphins Head Coach Joe Philbin, but until he shows something as a head coach.. I'll take Rex Ryan over him every day and ten times on Sunday!

-As to the Bills, OK, we hear this one every year, the Bills are gonna be better.. the Bills are gonna be great.... never happens. The Mario Williams signing is just tremendous, no doubt... and they have drafted well. However, the Jets have won 7 of their previous 8 match ups against the Bills. The most recent Jets loss to Buffalo was a 3 point overtime loss..... in 2009! Before I can predict the Bills to finish ahead of the Jets, I would have to see them at least beat the Jets ONCE...

Ooph

Only way that really plays out is if Philbin is able to recreate some semblance of that Packers offense with Matt Moore and Ocho catches 60 quick slants a la Greg Jennings. Hard to see it, though. The TE has no speed, and Hartline scares nobody on the other side. Still, f*ck Santonio Holmes.

Ocho does not compare to Holmes at this point in their careers, and maybe never. I know Ocho has the career numbers, but I don't think he's ever had the talent Holmes has. Santonio has just had the misfortune of playing for two run first organizations. But really, I doubt the fish even have Ocho penciled in as a starter right now.

I know you didn't like Hill in the draft, but I think he's gonna prove you wrong.

I'd give Miami the nod at RB, and that could be an issue, but nowhere else. They've got a rookie head coach, rookie QB, I just don't see this team winning more than 6 games this year.

The Jets had the best defense in the division already, and it got better this offseason.

There's Buffalo Bills hype every year, but I'm not ready to buy in just yet. I really think the Jets have to be the favorites to finish second in the division.

Ocho does not compare to Holmes at this point in their careers, and maybe never. I know Ocho has the career numbers, but I don't think he's ever had the talent Holmes has. Santonio has just had the misfortune of playing for two run first organizations.

It's besides the point, but being on a run-first team didn't seem to bother Hines Ward. Could be that Holmes is just superoverrated by fans based on a handful of plays. Could explain why he went for a measly fifth.

Good afternoon Jets fans! Here's my Season Preview for you guys!

Enjoy!

Em

Hey Diggy you meant 4th in the conference right ?

The Jets defense will be Dominant this year like they were in 09 and with an improved offense I expect at least 11 wins

It's besides the point, but being on a run-first team didn't seem to bother Hines Ward. Could be that Holmes is just superoverrated by fans based on a handful of plays. Could explain why he went for a measly fifth.

I dont know. He put up good numbers as a Steeler. I just think these is a big difference in offensively philosophy. Pittsburgh is an ultra conservative running game but their pa$$ing game is loaded with chances down the field. Its similar to Eli with the Giants before he exploded the last year. Hes a guy that gets 16-17 YPC. He doesnt have great hands and to use him as a possession slot guy is just a bad idea. He may also have just decided that he got paid and didnt feel like playing anymore but they certainly didnt design an offense last year to play to his talents. If anything they went away from them.

Exactly. The entire video just got me super hyped then he ended it with 4th, not in the AFC, but in the AFC east. Thats last place man. That was rather inconsistent, and WAAAY underrated given that Miami is starting practically from scratch. To not even be ahead of them just made me shake my head.

I think the Bills had an outstanding offseason and the Patriots are always going to get the benefit of the doubt as long as Belicheat/Brady is there. 4th place is laughable.

Great video though. End my statement on a good note! :-)

You know who had an outstanding off season last season? The EAGLES.

• 4 months later...

Archived