• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 SenorGato

SenorGato

Schottenhomer

• Members
  • 19,610 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 02:19 PM

Names still pending, but looks like Randall Delgado+.

I did not think Delgado was possible, at all. He's got a very good arm, good performance in the minors, the Braves liked him enough to give him 91 innings this year at 21, he didn't embarrass himself, and now he should be a Cub by the end of the day.

Cubs fans were twats the whole time if you're wondering. This low self esteem group thought Dempster couldn't net a top 100 prospect (lists are a big thing on forums this year), and they walk away with a top 50 guy. I tried to tell these guys (there's two pieces of precedent going back just last year with Rasmus for Jackson and Wheeler for Beltran), but it matters not because everyone is happy right now.

Now they need to land some Hamels in the offseason and draft some Appel next June. Tss maybe Appel helps them get new computahs or sumthin. Good, big things are happening in Chicago muhfckas. **** the 4+ year plan that some like to insist they're on.

Edited by SenorGato, 24 July 2012 - 12:16 AM.

We sick an' tired of-a your ism-skism game. Dyin' 'n' goin' to heaven in-a Jesus' name, Lord. We know when we understand:

Almighty God is a living man. - Bob Marley "Get up Stand up"

#2 Thor99

Thor99

Making friends since 1970

• Moderators
  • 18,047 posts
  • LocationLeland, NC

Posted 23 July 2012 - 02:21 PM

I thought Theo was going to gift him to the Sox.
Look at me
I'm a tangled puppet
I might be a mess
But I sure can survive

#3 SenorGato

SenorGato

Schottenhomer

• Members
  • 19,610 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 02:30 PM

If by gift you meant Barnes + Cechinni, you might have been right. You might have been right. You might have been right.

We sick an' tired of-a your ism-skism game. Dyin' 'n' goin' to heaven in-a Jesus' name, Lord. We know when we understand:

#4 PFSIKH

PFSIKH

Patriots' Paradigm CEO

• Members
  • 19,085 posts
  • LocationClarksville, TN by way of New England

Posted 23 July 2012 - 03:01 PM

I know..WTF Theo?

Well, a Garza for BEckett trade should make up for it.
Eagle Honors
"Our two most painful Patriots' losses ever, are sandwiched between two Manning family Superbowl victories. Talk about being the book of squandered opportunities between two butt hole bookends."
"I just wish they didn't get lucky when they selected that arrogant cleft-chinned, super-modeling banging prick in the sixth round out of Michigan. It's amazing how much I hate Mo Lewis now."

#5 CrazyCarl40

CrazyCarl40

3rd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 11,121 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 05:17 PM

I always wanted Dempster on my fantasy team so I could call it The Dempster Babies. On my real life favorite team? No thanks.

#6 SenorGato

SenorGato

Schottenhomer

• Members
  • 19,610 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 05:28 PM

I've never forgiven him for the '08 implosion against the Dodgers. Ever in the history of the world.

Edited by SenorGato, 24 July 2012 - 01:59 AM.

#7 SenorGato

SenorGato

Schottenhomer

• Members
  • 19,610 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 01:46 AM

Jeff Samardzija 1 hits the first place Pirates over 8 innings for the W.

#8 slowmoe57

slowmoe57

no warning points....yet

• Members
  • 5,646 posts
  • LocationAurora Illinois

Posted 24 July 2012 - 08:03 AM

Going to my first game at Wrigley Aug 1st.
My wife also found on Groupon rooftop seats available for several games 99 bucks per ticket and that includes all you can eat and drink -- sounds like a good deal.
Posted Image
Remember weed will get you through times of no money
better than money will get you through times of no weed
TFFFB

#9 SenorGato

SenorGato

Schottenhomer

• Members
  • 19,610 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 04:06 AM

So I made this thread two days ago and the trade still isn't official. Twitter can go **** a goat.

#10 NJ

NJ

Make 6 Go Away

• Members
  • 9,045 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 10:09 AM

Dempster can go fk a goat - or better yet I'd like a goat to fk him like he just fk'd the Cubs. Turned down the Braves trade so now we will get dickfist for him.
NATION....... JETNATION

#11 SenorGato

SenorGato

Schottenhomer

• Members
  • 19,610 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 07:50 PM

Seriously...Randall Delgado to rumors of Allen Webster...Dempster is hateable.

#12 NJ

NJ

Make 6 Go Away

• Members
  • 9,045 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 10:34 PM

Seriously...Randall Delgado to rumors of Allen Webster...Dempster is hateable.

If they had played at Wrigley tonight, I'd have seriously considered going down to stand and boo the jerkoff.
NATION....... JETNATION

#13 RutgersJetFan

RutgersJetFan

CZARFACE

• Members
  • 14,682 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 02:20 AM

Going to my first game at Wrigley Aug 1st.
My wife also found on Groupon rooftop seats available for several games 99 bucks per ticket and that includes all you can eat and drink -- sounds like a good deal.

The rooftops are a solid time. I'd lay off if it's a day game though, you'll be hot as balls with the way the weather's been here because those seats aren't covered, stick to something in the stadium. Should be fine for a night game though.

Edited by RutgersJetFan, 26 July 2012 - 02:21 AM.

(Chandler)'s a nice piece as long as he's the 7th most important player on your roster....I think they're going to be disappointed when they see he's just a pumped-up Drew Gooden.

#14 vanDoug

vanDoug

*&^%$#@!

• Members
  • 4,320 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 02:49 PM

I'm happy with Theo so far. We have some good prospects. Ws will be tough for the rest of 2012 and in 2013, but the longer term future looks promising
"A drug person can learn to cope with things like seeing their dead grandmother crawling up their leg with a knife in her teeth. But no one should be asked to handle this trip." - Raoul Duke

#15 NJ

NJ

Make 6 Go Away

• Members
  • 9,045 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 10:19 PM

I'm happy with Theo so far. We have some good prospects. Ws will be tough for the rest of 2012 and in 2013, but the longer term future looks promising

Hey Doug - wat up?
I'm with you, things are looking up already.
NATION....... JETNATION

#16 SenorGato

SenorGato

Schottenhomer

• Members
  • 19,610 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 12:55 AM

Man what a garbage season. Looks like the Cubs have the #2 pick all but locked up after this series with the Rockies. That obviously will give them the second highest cap for amateur talent next year. It will be the third straight year the Cubs pick in the top 10. They currently have three of the top 100 prospects in baseball (at least one top 30 and probably 2 top 50) at the top of the system, and only one of those players has even reached High A ball. After that there is a massive pool of developmental talent in the system built up from the past 2-3 drafts. In the past two drafts the Cubs have spent 20 million dollars, and overall their two year total in amateur spending is over 60 million in bonus money and the Soler deal. Basically, we're talking a farm system that is on the verge of jumping into one of the best in the game.

It's not just spending. The FO managed to turned Paul Maholm and Reed Johnson into the Braves' 3rd best SP prospect and former Yankees farmhand Arodys Vizcaino, a guy who was considered a top 50 prospect by Baseball America last year. Ryan Dempster landed the Cubs their current top 3B prospect, Christian Villanueva, who is not Josh Vitters. He's a 2013 breakout candidate in AA. Hell, the old FO turned AAA junk, a future closer (Chris Archer will walk people eventually - it's what he does), and a decent A ball SS prospect into Matt Garza, who will be one of the top arms on the trade market from ST into July next year.

I don't expect a very good team next year, but I do expect them to aggressively pursue young, maybe struggling but talented arms from teams who might be wiling to sell off. I'm thinking someone like a Justin Masterson, Rick Porcello, Brian Matusz, Phil Hughes (yes, Phil Hughes - the AL East to NL Central transition has been kind to pitchers), Andrew Miller, Wade Davis...Someone who an adjustment here or there could become a very good starting pitcher for the next 4-5 years. Take a look at Liriano, Marcum, McCarthy, and Matsuzaka amongst the other FA SPs who can be bought a little low on. Pursue BJ Upton in FA to lock up CF for a few years while Almora works his way through the minors. Try to trade DeJesus to someone like the Nationals who need a solid CF and OBP guy, then turn around and sign Shane Victorino for a year or two to plug the OF up. Try to pry Nolan Arenado from the Rockies.

Just because it's gotten this bad I've actually...roughly something like this:

C: Possibly a FA (Russell Martin) for a year or two if Wellington Castillo is traded, which is a possibility
1B - Rizzo
2B - Barney
SS - Castro
3B - Arenado

RF - Victorino
CF - Upton
LF - Soriano

Garza
Samardzija
Masterson/Porcello
Liriano
McCarthy/Matsuzaka/Wood/Hopefully more depth is there

#17 SenorGato

SenorGato

Schottenhomer

• Members
  • 19,610 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 12:57 AM

Oh and there's always this:

Castro in the first half: 85 games, 12 bb, 61 k
Castro in the second half: 71 games, 23 bb, 36 k

ISO up to a career high .150. 14 HRs, 12 3Bs, and 26 2Bs...Defense at SS plays...Guy is just an awesome talent.

Rizzo also came up and posted a .342 wOBA.

Edited by SenorGato, 28 September 2012 - 12:58 AM.

#18 SenorGato

SenorGato

Schottenhomer

• Members
  • 19,610 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:49 AM

Alright, well move one of the offseason was made yesterday with the firing of Pat Listach.

#19 SenorGato

SenorGato

Schottenhomer

• Members
  • 19,610 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 11:27 PM

Some options for the black hole that is CF on the roster:

BJ Upton
Curtis Granderson (if option isn't picked up)
Shane Victorino
Pagan
Sizemore (probably not CF?)
Jacoby Ellsbury
Peter Bourjos
Chris Young
Angel Pagan
Melky Cabrera (probably a corner but maybe the small confines of Wrigley and shifts help the Cubs squeeze some extra value out of signing him)
Craig Gentry
Leonys Martin
Colby Rasmus

Some 3B options:

Right Now
Vitters
Valbuena
Stewart
Jeff Keppinger
Stephen Drew
Kevin Youklis
Lonnie Chisenhall
Mark Reynolds - My choice amongst the FAs.
Castellanos (would be in AA)
Arenado _ Actually think this one is possible.
Mike Olt
Jed Gyorko
Matt Davidson

Edited by SenorGato, 07 October 2012 - 11:37 PM.

#20 SenorGato

SenorGato

Schottenhomer

• Members
  • 19,610 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 12:32 AM

#21 NJ

NJ

Make 6 Go Away

• Members
  • 9,045 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 03:20 PM

Some options for the black hole that is CF on the roster:

BJ Upton
Curtis Granderson (if option isn't picked up)
Shane Victorino
Pagan
Sizemore (probably not CF?)
Jacoby Ellsbury
Peter Bourjos
Chris Young
Angel Pagan
Melky Cabrera (probably a corner but maybe the small confines of Wrigley and shifts help the Cubs squeeze some extra value out of signing him)
Craig Gentry
Leonys Martin
Colby Rasmus

Some 3B options:

Right Now
Vitters
Valbuena
Stewart
Jeff Keppinger
Stephen Drew
Kevin Youklis
Lonnie Chisenhall
Mark Reynolds - My choice amongst the FAs.
Castellanos (would be in AA)
Arenado _ Actually think this one is possible.
Mike Olt
Jed Gyorko
Matt Davidson

I'm really hoping Villanueva develops for the hot corner, Cat Man. The kids got speed (32sb in 11 and 15 this season after bulking up) and 17/15 dingers in the same time frame.
They just announced that they're moving the A ball team from Peoria to the ball park about 20 minutes from my house. Will be very cool to watch some of this talent come up.
NATION....... JETNATION

#22 SenorGato

SenorGato

Schottenhomer

• Members
  • 19,610 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:59 PM

Yeah I liked Villanueva more than Olt to start with between the two top Rangers 3B prospects. He's got a pretty sick glove at 3B too, and his approach is pretty solid as far as taking pitches and walks is concerned. He's a very athletic guy who some were saying tried to fill out too quickly this year so I'm hoping he's on a good conditioning program with the Cubs. He's definitely one of the best breakout candidates in the system.

#23 Blackout

Blackout

Circle Of Bosses

• Banned
  • 32,203 posts
  • Locationhome

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:24 PM

who are the Cubs again??
"i'll rock forever....or at least until the Jets win the Superbowl" - Chino XL (1995)

#24 SenorGato

SenorGato

Schottenhomer

• Members
  • 19,610 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:41 PM

Heard the Cubs would be very in on Wright if he became available.

SP talents I think the Cubs should look at this offseason either through trade or FA:

Zack Greinke
Francisco Liriano
Brandon McCarthy
Rick Porcello
Brian Matusz
Phil Hughes
Justin Masterson
Daniel Hudson
Tyler Skaggs
Trevor Bauer
Pat Corbin
Derek Holland
Martin Perez
Andrew Miller
Jon Lester
Randall Delgado
Brett Anderson
Anthony Bass
Tyler Chatwood
Drew Pomeranz

#25 SenorGato

SenorGato

Schottenhomer

• Members
  • 19,610 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:41 PM

Keith Law and John Sickels have the Cubs system ranked 5th and 10th respectively.

Another thing I'm happy to see is that the Cubs fans who said the Cubs were going to keep tanking are totally wrong. Right now the team projects to about 75-77 wins with a real shot at .500, and there seems to be more promise than usual that ST will bring about significant transactions (Soriano and Garza for trade, Bourn is still a FA). Personally I lean towards keeping Garza and dealing one of Soriano and DeJesus.

Should be a much watchable season than last year, easily. They could sell at the deadline and still be less annoying than last year.

I think Scott Feldman will be the surprisingly good pitcher on the staff this year. Brandon McCarthy lite was what I was saying before FanGraphs said it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users