2016 WS Champions/Cubs Thread

SenorGato

7 hours ago, SenorGato said:

To be fair - petty, butthurt troll is less a personal attack than an accurate observation and the last two bold are more a request or even suggestion. That guy, those guys really, have given up any and all pretenses of trying to talk baseball but just happen to be a little more bureaucratic in their trolls and attacks is all. 

This will be my last post in this thread now, because you have made it apparent what you want here- So have at that.

But I will leave you with this, before you start calling others "butthurt", maybe you should examine yourself. In all the years that I have been here, I can never remember "reporting" a post from someone else. And I have been in loads of arguments, many where I have been the smaller person (bad on my part), and many where it inflamed the other person to high level of vitriol. But I can never recall reporting any action. Maybe I am incorrect and it happened once.

But to report 5 times in a matter of a day, well, just examine yourself a little bit. 

Sorry to the board again for not staying on correct topic, but someone had to lay out the straight dope. 

So, once gain, have at this thread with yourself.

3 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

sanctimonious bulldookey

ANOTHER non-baseball post from the guy who's sole purpose in this thread lately has been to troll. I'm not suddenly going to start falling for sanctimony. I've never reported a post either and I too have been here for years in many arguments  - so consider just how petty, trollish, and boring you were being! You and your partner went and dragged this trash onto yet *another* page of this thread. Goooood riddance

Anyway....Shohei Otani, the best non-MLB talent on the planet, has had a busy season in the NPB for the Nippon-Ham Fighters:

- Leads the league in Ks 

- Has 9 HRs and a 1.000+ OPS last I checked

- Broke Japan's record for fastest pitch by hitting ~101 MPH 

- Threw 31 pitches between 99-101 in his last start. Here are those 31 pitches:

Here's a gif of the Ks from that start:

This guy is going to help sell a ton of Cubs Network subscriptions in Japan when that gets going. He'll move the margins in a big way for the Cubs as far as being a global presence like the Yankees and Doyers. 

http://www.csnchicago.com/chicago-cubs/if-cubs-think-big-trade-deadline-anthony-rizzo-cool-aroldis-chapman

“He throws 100, and he pretty much locates it (wherever),” Rizzo said. “And then if you happen to hit his fastball, he’ll start wrinkling in his slider or curveball. He knows how to pitch. The game’s over when he comes in.”

4 hours ago, SenorGato said:

Anyway....Shohei Otani, the best non-MLB talent on the planet, has had a busy season in the NPB for the Nippon-Ham Fighters:

- Leads the league in Ks 

- Has 9 HRs and a 1.000+ OPS last I checked

- Broke Japan's record for fastest pitch by hitting ~101 MPH 

- Threw 31 pitches between 99-101 in his last start. Here are those 31 pitches:

Here's a gif of the Ks from that start:

This guy is going to help sell a ton of Cubs Network subscriptions in Japan when that gets going. He'll move the margins in a big way for the Cubs as far as being a global presence like the Yankees and Doyers. 

Will look nice in pinstripes

Boy, this team gets good and the trolls flock to this thread.

29 minutes ago, NJ said:

Ya it was ... I'll concede the series at their park knowing that brainless Baker will schwanse up his team when or by the time it counts.

Yeah, what I took out of that series was:

- Damn entertaining baseball

- Addison Russell showing signs of life after going cold

Taking 1 out of 3 against the Nats on the road in June without throwing Lester or Arrieta works fine for me. 5-2 against them on the seasons....Beats going 2-8 against the Pirates. 

12 hours ago, SenorGato said:

I'll happily wait till till Sept/Oct to celebrate.

When Duh Duh Duh Dusty is your manager, however, it's probably prudent to celebrate a 5 & 1 home stand like it was the WS .. or 1999 ... or some thing of historical greatness. 

I'm surprised they didn't put together an impromptu ticker tape parade for the ride to the airpprt

6 hours ago, SenorGato said:

Fun fact:

8 teams in baseball are currently 10+ games out of first place. Half of those teams are in the NL Central. 

The same division that had the best 3 records in the game last season ...?

Baez (age 23)

Bryant (age 24)

Rizzo (a grizzled 26)

Contreras (24)

Russell (22)

all with HRs tonight. All in just for 2016 dees nuts, not one is a FA before the 2020s. 10 spot knocks the Cardinals off the NL lead in RS and 5 HRs puts the Cubs one behind them there.

39 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

Baez (age 23)

Bryant (age 24)

Rizzo (a grizzled 26)

Contreras (24)

Russell (22)

all with HRs tonight. All in just for 2016 dees nuts, not one is a FA before the 2020s. 10 spot knocks the Cardinals off the NL lead in RS and 5 HRs puts the Cubs one behind them there.

We have to hit like that to overcome whatever Cumstain Richards gives up. 

Adam Warren has been horrible since his May 23rd schwansing of the game in St. Louis.

Don't even want to see him come in the game let alone make any kind of spot start like i was hoping he was capable of.  

Don't want to be Debbie Downer in the midst of all this offensive and defensive greatness - but a pen that cant stop mediocre teams wont go far in the playoffs.

7 hours ago, NJ said:

Don't want to be Debbie Downer in the midst of all this offensive and defensive greatness - but a pen that cant stop mediocre teams wont go far in the playoffs.

As someone who called the bullpen an issue before it was cool, they have one of the best relievers in baseball with Rondon and Strop is more or lesser gooder than ever. I agree that changes need to be made, the whole left side really, but "bullpen sucks" is a pretty generic problem for a contender and not a hard one to solve with names like Miller and Chapman being heavily rumored. Last night the only thing the bullpen did was cause the team to win by "only" their usual 5 runs rather than a true blowout, which has been the case this first half.

OTOH I do chuckle and guffaw at the fans who thought Warren was some kind of secret weapon when he was acquired. Or that Richard was actually a thing because they got a run out of him last year. 

23 hours ago, NJ said:

We have to hit like that to overcome whatever Cumstain Richards gives up. 

That crusty sock ****er did it again. He didn't get the loss, but not for lack of suck. 

Joe needs to do something different here quickly

Down on le farm:

Basically all relevant hitting prospects are hitting in June. Candelario and Zagunis are enjoying AAA. Caratini's chugging along in AA. Last year's #9 overall pick Ian Happ's kicking ass in High A. Gleyber's scuffled a little but but has shown power and patience still. Eloy Jimenez has dropped his K rate and continues to mash in South Bend and Eddy Martinez's all around plate disicipline has improved for the second straight month. A couple teenaged MIFer switch hitters have hit HRs for Eugene in the early going, but DJ Wilson is scuffling out of the gate after opening with 3 walks. Miguel Amaya continues to have an impressive pro debut in the DSL, he doesn't even turn 18 until March of next year but is outhitting most and showing the best plate discipline. 

The pitching can suck my balls for the time being, nothing really doing there. There's some guys being competent (Kellogg, Sands, Hedges, Tseng) but no one wow talent. There's a handful arms in the DSL that exist, are super young, and possibly are the best shot at developing a premium SP prospect (maybe 6'5" 17 YO Brailyn Marquez, 6'4" 18 YO Yunior Perez, or this Carrera feller).

Fowler to the DL gives Edwards Jr. his best opportunity to take a MR job, hopefully he does not suck.

1 hour ago, no psls said:

Cubbies will choke just like last year ....

download.jpg

Profound observation ... more like a mis-guided opinion. 

Their batting eyes might be a little inexperienced and their pen might be a little weak.

Vegas says you're wrong. I really don't care because if it isn't this year it will be the next... and the next ..

3 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

What's with this thread and these troll Mets fans this year? How did the Cubs even choke last year? Nobody thought they were anything until October.

Let him wallow in his sadness Catman, the way his team is crapping the bed it doesn't look like next year or any year soon is happy times for him.

2 hours ago, NJ said:

Let him wallow in his sadness Catman, the way his team is crapping the bed it doesn't look like next year or any year soon is happy times for him.

I like Amed Rosario, Herrera, and Nimmo in their system. If they can keep Syndergaard and d'Arnaud healthy they have some nice medium term talent to take them into the early 2020s, probably.

There was a point during the rebuilding years where I thought the Cubs/Mets/Dodgers rivalry would be a fun (mostly because the Cubs would win out more often than not) thing this century, but these angry trolls on JN make it less fun and easy to buy that they know their window is tight at best. I guess when their highlight of the decade is sweeping the newbie 2015 Cubs before immediately going down against the Royals(!!!), maybe I would be and feel some type of way about it too!

6 hours ago, SenorGato said:

I like Amed Rosario, Herrera, and Nimmo in their system. If they can keep Syndergaard and d'Arnaud healthy they have some nice medium term talent to take them into the early 2020s, probably.

There was a point during the rebuilding years where I thought the Cubs/Mets/Dodgers rivalry would be a fun (mostly because the Cubs would win out more often than not) thing this century, but these angry trolls on JN make it less fun and easy to buy that they know their window is tight at best. I guess when their highlight of the decade is sweeping the newbie 2015 Cubs before immediately going down against the Royals(!!!), maybe I would be and feel some type of way about it too!

Why were the Cubs "newbies" last season yet the young Met staff and team that came out of nowhere to embarrass the Cubs is not considered the same?  Please let us know when the Cubs start winning out over the Mets and Dodgers more times than not.  I have never seen a fan become so condescending despite having lived/seen nada success wise from his team.

It's OK to talk baseball but you attack every conflicting opinion by labeling the poster as a troll.  Bryant and Rizzo are great young players but let's allow Russell, Baez and the rest of the "promising"  kids to actually do something before talking them up to the degree that you do. You'd invite more actual good discussion that way.

Just my opinion. Please don't report me.^_^

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

Why were the Cubs "newbies" last season yet the young Met staff and team that came out of nowhere to embarrass the Cubs is not considered the same?

Ignoring that the Cubs weren't embarrassed so much as they lost a series...I'd say its having your best hitters be 30+ guys like Cespedes, Granderson, and Wright as opposed to early-mid 20s in Bryant and Rizzo.  Unlike the Cubs' hitters, the Mets' top arms outside of Syndergaard already have wear and tear on them in the form of TJ surgery going into that playoff series. 

I have never seen a fan become so condescending despite having lived/seen nada success wise from his team.

This is funny to read consdering your points, tone, and the height of the Mets' success this decade being beating the Cubs in a short series that one time. Right now the Cubs are the runaway best team in baseball with a bunch of early-mid 20s hitters, including two true elite guys in Bryant and Rizzo. Russell's put up 4.2 fWAR and ~5 rWAR in the majors before his age 22 season is halfway through, has improved his plate discipline, and is among the best defensive SSs in the league already. Baez looks good. Contreras looks good. 26 YO Heyward, like Rizzo an old guy in this group, has been putting up a .791 OPS over the past 100 PAs and has his superlative track record as a player. Summer's here and offense will generally go up around the league, including Chicago.

That post from that other guy was a troll. You have a major tendency to troll. Your boy Scotty had no pretenses about not being a troll in this thread lately. I'm not attacking conflicting opinions. When you trolls actually offer a real one I go after the easily trounced opinion, then watch you go full troll and have your tempew tantwums. Most of the time THO, you're just trolling around being a troll. I've invited plenty of good conversation and provided plenty, you're just really bad at it and prefer to troll - see your whole bit about the Cubs being all in for just 2016 going as quickly as it came after getting dumped on. 

I'd report but as the Tx of the baseball forum you are bureaucratic about trolling and leave enough leeway for yourself enough of the time. It is pointless for me to do it, originally done for then luls anyway, but that doesn't make you not a troll. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 2

Lol neg rep all day, you two are still nothing more than trolls who occaisonally offer a poorly thought out opinion for the sake of bureaucracy. Sucks your baseball knowledge doesn't stack with understanding how to stick around as a troll, but it is what it is.

----

Anyways - back from another worthless derailment by these trolling Mets fans - arguably the top prospect in the system, Eloy Jimenez, called his game tying HR in the 9th last night during the MWL ASG. The blast went anywhere from 415-430 feet to straight away center field depending on who you read. He was named the MVP of the game, hit the only HR in a game that had 21 runs scored total, drove in 4, and made an outstanding catch in the 9th. He's hitting .341/.379/.535 on the season with 8 HRs and 24 doubles already.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

Arrieta's command has been irritating at times this year. 87 pitches through 4. Seems like he's had a bunch of starts where he piles up pitches early and, more frustating, walks guys. 

----

I'm starting to really like Teheran from the Braves. I'd also target Newcomb from them and convert him to relief, but yeah Teheran has grown on me.