2016 WS Champions/Cubs Thread

SenorGato

3 hours ago, no psls said:

And the sweep is complete ; HAPPY FOURTH SENOR GATO - HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mets: 44-37, 2nd place in NL East (5 GB)

Cubs: 51-30, 1st place in NL Central (8-22 game lead)

If you're happy, I'm happy!

Boooo Almora trying to kill Bryant. Trades can't come soon enough.

OTOH, Addison Russell's really starting to have a pretty good year. He is one of the many reasons to remain optimistic not just for the second half, but 2017 and 2018 when he will be all 23 and 24. It's easy to forget that he was a top 3 prospect in baseball for Baseball America's well researched top 100 going into 2015. 

35 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

Man, Russell's continues to really put it together lately. 2 HR game so far moves his season OPS to .741 to go with his GG caliber defense at SS. 

Hits for power for a guy with such a thin frame....think that's like 6 HR's against the Reds.

19 minutes ago, GimmeShelter said:

Hits for power for a guy with such a thin frame....think that's like 6 HR's against the Reds.

During his draft year he bulked up to 225, but as a pro decided it was too much too soon when he could get there gradually over time. He slimmed down to max flexibility and athleticism, still put up a .520 in the minors with an 11% XBH rate (.301/.377/.520 overall) on the way to becoming a top 3 prospect and full time ML starter at 21.  OTOH this is probably a waste of a comment as the goal of your post was more likely to pull off a subtle troll about Cubs only hitting Reds pitching or something similarly dumb. 6 HRs against the Reds would be one more than they've hit off Max Scherzer this year.

One of my favorite parts of this Cubs team becoming the clear #1 team in the NL, without much of a sweat at that, is how a handful of hapless Mets fans on this site basically live and die for their losses this year. It's adorable, and as sure a sign as any (and there are many) that this team is the alpha team in the league now and moving forward this half decade into the next. Heightened animosity, really butthurt, from hopeful rivals of the sports teams I root for is a personal favorite indicator that things are grand for said sports team.

46 minutes ago, GimmeShelter said:

These are the type of off the wall, non fact based statements that have you so shall we say...less than well received.

Neither of those things are off the wall or non-fact based. Hell, I could have said best baseball team on the planet rather than just the NL and been working with the facts. I'm not well recieved because I'm an outspoken baseball and Cubs fan who knows what he's talking about on a football Jets forum that happens to have a few sensitive troll Mets fans such as yourself. 

It's not some coincidence that this thread that ran for four years when the Cubs were eh or worse without a peep from you is suddenly the center of your trolling. You guys know the deal, the Mets as constructed have a smaller window than the Cubs and need to nail this year or it's back to the drawing board with a hopeful eye on 2018's FAs. The Cubs, OTOH, are already the best team in baseball and getting better as they build towards record shattering media rights deals at the end of the decade that will make them the economic, to go with the on field, superpower the size of their market and fanbase can and will support. Everyone within baseball knows it and over time so will casual fans such as yourself.

21 minutes ago, GimmeShelter said:

I know that. I was trying to figure out why they need to nail it this year or is that just another one of those because you said so statements?

The Mets' best hitter can and likely will opt out in a weak FA group barring disaster. There has been speculation that Wright's career might be over. Neil Walker is a FA. The next best hitter will be 36, the next after that is always on the DL. The offense is already middling with those guys, hoping to get hot and hopefully stay hot. What was that link supposed to show me? Stuff and things? 

Also some troll who had absolutely nothing behind the one baseball point you've tried to put forward all year - the Cubs are a 2016 only team - shouldn't be making the limp accusation you're making. It's weak trol sauce on top of weak troll sauce on top of weak troll sauce. This is why you should stick to the Mets thread where you and ScottyD can talk about how gay math is or whatever dumb troll nonsense you two prattle on about.

On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2016 at 7:33 PM, GimmeShelter said:

I think they likely lead the NL's in regular season W's barring major injuries. I'm still not convinced the line-up on a whole handles big time SP in the post season.  Gotta love Theo for going all in. 

That's what I said.

You then twisted it to imply that I said it was for only this year for reasons I don't understand. Going all in this year meant the off season spending by the Cubs to sprinkle in veterans amongst the talented young kids. You went looking for an issue with what I said or I never even would have known you existed to be perfectly honest.  The Cubs and Mets are built upon two different schools of thought where Theo and the Cubs FO has bypassed drafting or trading for pitching prospects for offensive talent while the Mets, as you know, went the pitching route under their last two GM's which in fact enabled them to turn Fullmer into Cespedes and a Division title followed by a sweep of the Cubs to gain a WS birth.

How that difference in building a team pans out in the long run is TBD with round one going to the Mets. The majority of things that you claim to be unresolvable issues with the Mets offense can be said for the Cubs starting staff. The one thing to note is that the Mets offense had the same label last season before the pitching rich system enabled them to acquire Cespedes which combined with some other smaller deals turned them into the best offense in the league down the stretch.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

That's what I said.

That is one of the things you said. That is not the quote I am referencing. I am honestly not even sure I was aware of your existence as a poster in March. 

I can't read what is, undoubtedly, nonsense when you open with a lie I am sure you were aware of.

Anyway....Supposed top pitching prospect Duane Underwood left his start with an injury. I tried and tried to explain to the internet that Underwood was and is not a good pitching prospect and Edwards Jr. still is, but in true internet fashion it was all about wild overreactions to recent and small bits of info. Underwood got hurt last year and moved up lists anyway because of a pretty seeming ERA, Edwards moved down because of walks and a move to the pen despite *always* being the better performer. Edwards' bandwagon emptied months after making BAs and MLB.com's top 50 while leading the minors in stikeouts, people forgot THAT ******* quickly despite no injuries, drop in stuff or velocity, or overall decline in periphs and run prevention.

Now Edwards has struck out 38% of the MLs he has faced this year and looks like a guy. He is drawing misses on 96 four seams, 94 cutters, and low 80s curves against ML hitters. Underwood is hurt for the second year in a row while also not repeating the pretty ERA his stats never supported. Exhibit #68483829202058482 of why you don't react to every tiny gust of wind in baseball when you have more info.

The BP Cubs tidbits:

28. Eloy Jimenez, RF, Chicago Cubs
Why He'll Succeed: One of the two or three best young hitters in the minors, Jimenez has the size, bat speed, and hitting ability to develop into a middle-of-the-order hitter. If his approach matures, 30-homer seasons with a .300 average and a good OBP aren’t out of the question.

Why He Might Fail: His aggressive approach could get exploited as his moves up the organizational ladder and down the defensive spectrum, making the bat less palatable, though still playable.
34. Gleyber Torres, MI, Chicago Cubs
Why He'll Succeed: There’s no real weakness to Torres’ game. Everything but the power flashes above-average to plus, and his instincts both at the plate and in the field are impressive for any age, much less a 19-year-old.

Why He Might Fail: If he doesn’t stick at shortstop, he doesn’t have the offensive skill set to be a first-division regular. That’s all I got.
50. Ian Happ, 2B, Chicago Cubs
Why He’ll Succeed: When he finds a long-term defensive home he'll be a solid, well-rounded regular with quality makeup and clubhouse contributions. Does a little bit of everything offensively, hitting for average, some power, and putting up double-digit stolen base totals.

Why He Might Fail: His longer swing and high strikeout totals could get exposed against big-league competition, and the unusual tool set might never quite fit an everyday profile, in which case Happ would ultimately have more of a utility future.

I'm not really big on rankings, use your words, but I guess other people find it fun. Mid-season rankings are way less important than end of season, and BAs is the only publication with a long enough history to have any serious studies done. Still it's far better to have prospects on the lists than not, without a question.

On 7/5/2016 at 9:39 PM, SenorGato said:

Anyway....Supposed top pitching prospect Duane Underwood left his start with an injury. I tried and tried to explain to the internet that Underwood was and is not a good pitching prospect and Edwards Jr. still is, but in true internet fashion it was all about wild overreactions to recent and small bits of info. Underwood got hurt last year and moved up lists anyway because of a pretty seeming ERA, Edwards moved down because of walks and a move to the pen despite *always* being the better performer. Edwards' bandwagon emptied months after making BAs and MLB.com's top 50 while leading the minors in stikeouts, people forgot THAT ******* quickly despite no injuries, drop in stuff or velocity, or overall decline in periphs and run prevention.

Now Edwards has struck out 38% of the MLs he has faced this year and looks like a guy. He is drawing misses on 96 four seams, 94 cutters, and low 80s curves against ML hitters. Underwood is hurt for the second year in a row while also not repeating the pretty ERA his stats never supported. Exhibit #68483829202058482 of why you don't react to every tiny gust of wind in baseball when you have more info.

We sorely need good performance out of Edwards as the Stooge Brothers, Grimm and Patton, are incapable of keeping runners off the bases (including Home) and you can't throw Wood and Cahill every day. Not looking looking at a deep post season if they don't acquire an accomplished relief arm or 2 soon.

2 hours ago, NJ said:

We sorely need good performance out of Edwards as the Stooge Brothers, Grimm and Patton, are incapable of keeping runners off the bases (including Home) and you can't throw Wood and Cahill every day. Not looking looking at a deep post season if they don't acquire an accomplished relief arm or 2 soon.

I'm not sure Patton lasts the month tbh. Grimm needs to start throwing his slider again, but even that might not move the needle much. The hope is probably one blowout MR between them at this point anyway. The bullpen being the biggest issue with this team is still pretty ho-hum as far as contender life goes, there's plenty to trade and lots of names being mentioned.

Braves victory last night gives them a split of the season series despite the Braves pen trying to hand the game back multiple times.

It will be curious to see how Theo now approaches the trade deadline after the last few days performances against the Braves and Reds. Whether he overpays in an attempt to jump in right now and make a deal to spark the club right away. I am not sure that even Madden can continue to address these current performances as simply part of the ebbs and flows of a 162 game season or that the return of Dexter Fowler is the cure all. I was reading a Power Ranking post yesterday which had the team at #5 and stated that they were something like 27-26 since the 25-6 start. That's a fairly large sample size of playing middle of the road baseball. 

A few weeks ago I thought Contreras would be a nice trade chip but now if I'm Theo, he's untouchable. I know he's an older rookie but he has a leadership quality about him as displayed by his jawing with Francouer last night and his big hit that looked like it would give them the win. Plus he has hit at the big league level w/out any issues so far, can catch, play 1B and LF. Very nice player. 

The Cubs will not be overreacting to a couple bad series against bad teams. This is still the best team in baseball, their wants are known and have been known. They can absolutely look at it as the ebbs and flows of the season because that's exactly what it is - you yourself were just whining about how they only beat up on the Reds, today they're the unbeatable Reds the Cubs need to change everything over. You can't make up your mind as a fan, but the FO is not as panicky, reactive, ,overall unaware, and unanalytical.

Anyway....Epstein on pitching:

•  
  •  
“We are still looking for a starter for a couple reasons,” Epstein said. “For the long-term, because we’re just not that deep organizationally in starting pitching, and because you can’t assume health.”

It took 84 games before the Cubs finally had to use a sixth starter. That’s why Epstein felt so encouraged by Adam Warren’s spot start in Wednesday’s 5-3 loss to the Cincinnati Reds, showing the stuff — one run across five innings with six strikeouts and no walks — that helped push the Cubs toward the Starlin Castro deal with the New York Yankees.

“It’s a tough market for starting pitching,” Epstein said. “There are teams that are in probably more desperate straits for a starter that might pay a higher price than we would. But we’ll see. We’re going to pursue all avenues.”

But it’s obvious the Cubs need bullpen reinforcements, whether or not the Yankees ultimately sell and break up the Big Three of Aroldis Chapman, Andrew Miller and Dellin Betances. Maddon used Kyle Hendricks — who’s not scheduled to make his next start until after the All-Star break — to throw two scoreless innings against the tanking Braves (29-57) before closer Hector Rondon blew his fourth save in his last eight chances in the ninth.

“That’s certainly an area that we would look to upgrade externally and also internally,” Epstein said. “If I had to make a prediction, I’ll say that we’re going to get some help from somebody who’s currently in the ‘pen, but not locked in yet. At least one of those guys will lock in and pitch really well. And then someone who’s not with us now — but he’s still in the organization — will come up and pitch really well.

“And then I think we’ll add. There’s a good chance that we’ll make a deal that will help us in the ‘pen as well. When things don’t go well, there’s always a rush to look outside, especially this time of year.

“It’s important, and we’re doing it. But it’s really important to remember that Trevor Cahill and Clayton Richard and Justin Grimm threw really big innings in the postseason for us last year. And they are certainly capable of doing it again.”

Mooney/CSN Chicago

I'm pretty excited by pursuing all avenues, music to my ears from this FO. That said, I'm down to say it **** it and pay up for Teheran too, getting clever on the next buy.  

Sounds like he is pretty confident about Matusz, who threw well in a rehab assignment last night. 

1 x

1 hour ago, SenorGato said:

The Cubs will not be overreacting to a couple bad series against bad teams. This is still the best team in baseball, their wants are known and have been known. They can absolutely look at it as the ebbs and flows of the season because that's exactly what it is - you yourself were just whining about how they only beat up on the Reds, today they're the unbeatable Reds the Cubs need to change everything over. You can't make up your mind as a fan, but the FO is not as panicky, reactive, ,overall unaware, and unanalytical.

That's not what I said.  I said I was curious to see how Theo would react (the same questions the local scribes posed to him) and nowhere did I call the Reds unbeatable.

As for YOUR calling it a couple of bad series against bad teams, I was questioning whether Theo would overpay for help based on this weeks play combined with the fact that they have been playing .500 baseball for the past 53 games which I think is reasonable to not label as simple ebb and flow of a season. My comments in no way address or speak to what the Cubs may or may not do the rest of the season or in 2017,18 and beyond. It was a question on whether Theo would look to move quickly and overpay in order to right the ship.

My question and comments are no different than what you pasted under the link from CN/Mooney. "That said, I'm down to say it **** it and pay up for Teheran too, getting clever on the next buy."  

I don't get this rush to have conflict on your end for a standard question based on how the team has been playing.

1 hour ago, GimmeShelter said:

That's not what I said.  I said I was curious to see how Theo would react (the same questions the local scribes posed to him) and nowhere did I call the Reds unbeatable.

As for YOUR calling it a couple of bad series against bad teams, I was questioning whether Theo would overpay for help based on this weeks play combined with the fact that they have been playing .500 baseball for the past 53 games which I think is reasonable to not label as simple ebb and flow of a season. My comments in no way address or speak to what the Cubs may or may not do the rest of the season or in 2017,18 and beyond. It was a question on whether Theo would look to move quickly and overpay in order to right the ship.

My question and comments are no different than what you pasted under the link from CN/Mooney. "That said, I'm down to say it **** it and pay up for Teheran too, getting clever on the next buy."  

I don't get this rush to have conflict on your end for a standard question based on how the team has been playing.

Yeah, sure, anyway the main point is that this is still the ebbs and flows of the season. While you see .500 ball over 53 in 2016, I and anyone sensible would see .612 ball over the course of the same, and whole, season to date. What you call - call as in state, no question - overpay, as a troll will, I call pay because that is exactly what it is.

I don't get why you continue to seek conflict and then get your panties in a bunch when you get it in this thread, particularly when you made this whole scene about leaving. On top of it, you're a troll playing the victim who was just innocently asking questions. There literally isn't a question in that post.