2016 WS Champions/Cubs Thread

SenorGato

You'd think the Cubbies were 11-3 or something by reading this thread.

Dude ... take the unfulfilled last 46 years of Jets football and multiply it times 2.5 - then you're close to a Cub fans depression.

(the extra . 5 is for not winning the pennant with the majority of the NL All-Star team as your line up in 1969 and the exponential grief component of not winning a WS in over a century)

When you finally have some things going in the REAL right direction - you cheer and enjoy all the way through it.

Dude ... take the unfulfilled last 46 years of Jets football and multiply it times 2.5 - then you're close to a Cub fans depression.

(the extra . 5 is for not winning the pennant with the majority of the NL All-Star team as your line up in 1969 and the exponential grief component of not winning a WS in over a century)

When you finally have some things going in the REAL right direction - you cheer and enjoy all the way through it.

Nah, that was the infamous black cat running across Shea Stadium and pausing to look into the Cubbies dugout. It was all over at that point.

Those were good Cub  teams. Santo and  Fergie were two of my favorites.

Nah, that was the infamous black cat running across Shea Stadium and pausing to look into the Cubbies dugout. It was all over at that point.

Those were good Cub  teams. Santo and  Fergie were two of my favorites.

I was a 14 year old kid at about 20 of those games that summer. Train for $.85, bleacher seats for $2.00.

$20.00 of caddying money made over the weekend could get me to 3-4 ball games during the week when they were in town.

Good times - fantastic baseball  

I was a 14 year old kid at about 20 of those games that summer. Train for $.85, bleacher seats for $2.00.

$20.00 of caddying money made over the weekend could get me to 3-4 ball games during the week when they were in town.

Good times - fantastic baseball  

Yep....my favorite era.  WS games in the afternoon during the week. Schools would wheel a TV into the classroom during the Mets-O's WS.

Schwarber now hitting .371/.511/.629 at AA. This makes the third level at which he's been an elite hitter.

Too bad we gotta get rid of him because he was a late riser that went 4th in a weak draft.

He's catching and DHing  - no OF innings. Tells me they're intent on bring him up slowly to wear the tools of ignorance. That's fine by me.

Vogelbach is unconscious .. doing pretty damn good for a kid with no number on his jersey in spring training. 

Schwarber now hitting .371/.511/.629 at AA. This makes the third level at which he's been an elite hitter.

Too bad we gotta get rid of him because he was a late riser that went 4th in a weak draft.

Well that's not why, it's because he can't play defense. Three passed balls in only 7 games as a C so far this year, three in his really short time in Daytona, one in his really short time at KC last year. I have no doubts that his bat can get him to the show.

He's catching and DHing - no OF innings. Tells me they're intent on bring him up slowly to wear the tools of ignorance. That's fine by me.

Vogelbach is unconscious .. doing pretty damn good for a kid with no number on his jersey in spring training.

I take no OF innings to mean that Law was right on him on the OF - it's worse than his C defense, which is hoping to be passably below ML average one day.

There's a really good read on this actually:

http://beisbols.org/2014/10/16/chicago-cubs-already-done-schwarber/

Their best shot at an impact MLer from Schwarber is at C or, with a rule change and some luck, DH. They can take their sweet time with him at C, Posada didn't get the Yankees starting job until he was 26.

Insightful blog - do you know how credible the guy is? 

If he can't play D in any capacity, we just have to hope that Theo and co. get the best bang for the buck when they deal him to an AL team. 

The writer himself is completely unknown to me, but II liked the heavy use of linked scouting reports and FO quotes. I just couldn't argue the logic or point, particularly since it's not the first time Schwarber's defense has been questioned. I read at least once during last season that he was plodding and just bad in LF, plus pre-draft stuff hated his defense.

I'm not sure the FO has to care what league they send him to so long as they get the stud pitcher they want and need. 1B is a dry enough position in the minors and majors that an NL team would welcome him and his bat. Plus a bad team can throw him at C, LF, and 1B to see if they can luck into something if they really want to, the Cubs just don't have the time for that.

Not that it was necessary or something we didn't know already, but Cubs still interested in Hamels according to Wittemeyer.

I could see the Cubs adding Hamels, Kazmir, Zobrist, and a power lefty reliever (Diekman or Doolittle) before the trade deadline. Long shot bat could be Adrian Beltre (signed through 2016), depending on Bryant's defense over at 3B.

Not that it was necessary or something we didn't know already, but Cubs still interested in Hamels according to Wittemeyer.

I could see the Cubs adding Hamels, Kazmir, Zobrist, and a power lefty reliever (Diekman or Doolittle) before the trade deadline. Long shot bat could be Adrian Beltre (signed through 2016), depending on Bryant's defense over at 3B.

Heyman currently lists Red Sox as favorites for Hamels-Whatever that is worth.

Soooo the Giants are carrying three catchers and the third one sucks. They could also use some SP innings later on, and Travis Wood might do alright in the spacious parks of the NL West. They have Derek Johnson protege Tyler Beede. Hunter Strickland is haunted by his postseason or something too, might be a change of scenery candidate.

Also interested in Daniel Murphy:

GM Sandy Alderson would say only that “the plan” is for Murphy to return to second, adding that “at the moment” there is no movement toward keeping Herrera there. But sources tell Martino that the Mets would be increasingly willing to move Murphy, even for a lesser return and even well before the trade deadline, if Herrera seems ready.

An optimistically strong post-deadline 25 man:

C: Monstero, Ross

1B: Rizzo/Coghlan/Murphy

2B: Russell/Baez/Murphy/La Stella

SS: Castro/Russell/Baez

3B: Bryant/Russell/Baez/La Stella

LF: Murphy/Baez

CF: Fowler/Denorfia/Baez

RF: Soler/Coghlan/Baez/Murphy

Lester

Arrieta

Hamels

Hammel

Hendricks

Grimm

Ramirez

Diekman

Strop

Strickland

Wada

Rivero/Edwards

1. Bryant is seriously legit.

2. The new stadium blows. Wrigley is still a dump and the food still sucks. They still have the troughs for ****'s sake. All that bullsh*t they pulled with the city and really all it is is some reinforcements and a couple sh*tty digital scoreboards. Not sure why it was necessary to block off a few rooftops for this because the place still looks like a crack house. ****in Cubs man.

6 in a row. If the weather holds it would be nice to see Arrietta and the boys the broom the Bucs too.

Schlitter back up from Iowa - hope he can keep the ball down this time up. Additional quality innings from the pen is sorely needed.

Hi guys, long time Cubs fan here, rare JN poster these days. Mostly enjoying the season so far, notes as follows:

Was a little concerned going in that we're relying on too many kids to mature into what we think (hope) they're capable of. So far, so good. Bryant looks like he belongs and possibly can rocket to all star level. The Russell call up surprised me, but he's doing pretty good. His D at 2nd is great. Soler started hot, if his bat gets that back, we'll have a lineup that will make pitchers sweat.

Did not know previously that Lester has no move to first. Really? &^%$#@! The rotation overall, I'm happy with. Wood's a little Jekyll/Hyde. Hendricks is an average #5 with upside.

The pen can be brutal. It's like they've been taking turns being Marmol for a day. After a disaster Saturday Schlitter looked OK yesterday, but I want him gone. Strop and Rondon can be a great Tandem.

Not sure about Maddon's batting the pitcher 8th, but I like what the guy brings to the team. Carrying 3 catchers is questionable. Fowlers' been a nice addition. I don't know that Coughlan has a future here.

A lot of this reads negative, but this beat up Cubs fan is pretty optimistic about the future.

An optimistically strong post-deadline 25 man:

C: Monstero, Ross

1B: Rizzo/Coghlan/Murphy

2B: Russell/Baez/Murphy/La Stella

SS: Castro/Russell/Baez

3B: Bryant/Russell/Baez/La Stella

LF: Murphy/Baez

CF: Fowler/Denorfia/Baez

RF: Soler/Coghlan/Baez/Murphy

Lester

Arrieta

Hamels

Hammel

Hendricks

Grimm

Ramirez

Diekman

Strop

Strickland

Wada

Rivero/Edwards

Castillo to Seattle , didn't hear what cubbies got in return.

Hi guys, long time Cubs fan here, rare JN poster these days. Mostly enjoying the season so far, notes as follows:

Was a little concerned going in that we're relying on too many kids to mature into what we think (hope) they're capable of. So far, so good. Bryant looks like he belongs and possibly can rocket to all star level. The Russell call up surprised me, but he's doing pretty good. His D at 2nd is great. Soler started hot, if his bat gets that back, we'll have a lineup that will make pitchers sweat.

Did not know previously that Lester has no move to first. Really? &^%$#@! The rotation overall, I'm happy with. Wood's a little Jekyll/Hyde. Hendricks is an average #5 with upside.

The pen can be brutal. It's like they've been taking turns being Marmol for a day. After a disaster Saturday Schlitter looked OK yesterday, but I want him gone. Strop and Rondon can be a great Tandem.

Not sure about Maddon's batting the pitcher 8th, but I like what the guy brings to the team. Carrying 3 catchers is questionable. Fowlers' been a nice addition. I don't know that Coughlan has a future here.

A lot of this reads negative, but this beat up Cubs fan is pretty optimistic about the future.

Good to hear from you, dude.

The kid thing is a good thing I believe. And there's still more left to come - maybe even this season.  

Rizzo is starting to look like his number might fly on a flag pole someday in the outfield.

With all the focus on Lester's yip's throwing to the bases - he's second in the bigs with 12 steals allowed and everybody is taking off as soon as his foot lifts from the rubber.

Don't know how it's going to play out long term  - but he's starting to settle down and win games which is a great thing for $155MM.

The pen is a big issue and will need to 2-3 changes before we can get serious. Also need 2 additional real starters. Wood is now in the pen and that's fine by me - he ain't close to being an answer.

Good news is there's money and valuable trade bait to go grab all that's needed to fill in where our farm system hasn't picked and grown an answer.

Better news is Maddon's here to coach then into being a winning team.

It's fun again - worth watching every night -  let me know if you can ever get in for a game.

Gang Green should be real fun this year too - at least when the D's on the field.

Last week was fun. This week has started not as fun.

Maybe it's just because I'm a Cubs fan, so there's the same level of hatred, but does anyone else view the Cardinals as the Patriots of baseball? Both with their sanctimonious fans and ridiculous reputations as the epitome of class in their respective sports (though the Patriots reputation has obviously taken a huge hit in recent years, which no amount of drunk driving can do to the Cardinals, apparently). Also, every time it looks like either team is "ripe for the slaughter", they respond by f*cking winning non-stop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last week was fun. This week has started not as fun.

Maybe it's just because I'm a Cubs fan, so there's the same level of hatred, but does anyone else view the Cardinals as the Patriots of baseball? Both with their sanctimonious fans and ridiculous reputations as the epitome of class in their respective sports (though the Patriots reputation has obviously taken a huge hit in recent years, which no amount of drunk driving can do to the Cardinals, apparently). Also, every time it looks like either team is "ripe for the slaughter", they respond by f*cking winning non-stop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unfortunately, the Cardinals epitomize how an organization should be run from top to bottom. They have a "Cardinal way" and it produces players who contribute to a team. They carry the same organizational philosophy at all levels. They do not become overly loyal to players that have produced in the past, and let new players take their spot.

You can hate what they have become, but you have to respect how they get there. They truly are a model franchise. And I hated them from the White Rat era.

Was at Wrigleyville a couple weeks ago. Can't believe they built those steel bleachers in the outfield obstructing the view of those apt buildings. Takes away a lot of the old school charm of that stadium. I know the cubs have a right to do it but Wrigley is a nat'l treasure that was a part of the charm of going to a game there you could see the neighborhood in the background.