Nathan Eovaldi

Trevor Bauer

Shelby Miller

Kyle Gibson

Randall Delgado

Martin Perez

Derek Holland

Phil Wheeler

Various degrees of interest...really focus on the first four. 

In that case, bye Kris Bryant ++.

I wouldn't do that if I were the Cubs

In that case, bye Kris Bryant ++.

I wouldn't do that if I were the Cubs

Good luck to those FOs landing Bryant for 90 million, a TJ surgery returnee, another possibly damaged elbow, or a one year breakout to this point.

Edited by SenorGato

Things could not have gone better for the Cubs this year. That's a funny thing to say about a 59-72 team, but in the category that truly counts for them – their top young players and prospects – the Cubs could not possibly have hoped for more.

Top Cuban import Jorge Soler joins the Cubs prospect party Wednesday night at Cincinnati, and while the Cubs are still in last place, the key young players are putting together great seasons across the board, or at the very least showing magnificent potential. The same goes for the prospects still in the minors, where top Cubs prospects are generally dominating, raising hopes of a sustained run of success at the major-league level at some point.

“From a young player standpoint, it's been pretty good,” Cubs general manager Jed Hoyer said by phone.

That seems like quite the qualified understatement, which actually may not be such a bad strategy considering the storied team is into its second century of disappointment, famously having not won a World Series since 1908 (or even gotten to a World Series since 1945). The numbers the vital 20-somethings are posting, both at the major-league level and in the minors, are nothing short of amazing, and that goes for basically each and every of them.

Towering third baseman Kris Bryant, who has 43 home runs and a .323 batting average between Double-A Tennessee and Triple-A Iowa, is having an all-time great season (“as good a minor-league season as I can remember for a player in his first full year in pro ball,” is the way Hoyer put it). And yet, Bryant's sterling 1.113 OPS is actually slightly lower than that of the outfielder Soler, who had a 1.132 mark at those two spots before his promotion.

Soler was promoted because he has a major-league contract and only one option remaining, meaning the Cubs want to get a closer look at what they have. “We want to learn as much as we can,” Hoyer said.

There isn't much question what they have in Bryant, the No. 2 overall pick out of the University of San Diego last year. That was one spot behind Stanford righthander Mark Appel, who went first to the Astros and has generally struggled before improving lately. According to the experts, Bryant is going to be a monster – maybe even someone to rank with crosstown star Jose Abreu, at one-tenth the price, at least initially. Bryant received $6.7 million compared to $68 million, which shows you the difference between the draft, where Bryant received the biggest bonus of anyone in 2013, and free agency. In any case, Bryant is ranked the top prospect in the minors in multiple places now.

Speaking of Soler's ascension to join Javier BaezArismendy Alcantara and the other top young guys already up with the Cubs, Hoyer said, “It's going to be fun. We're getting there. We have a chance to be young and fun and exciting.”

But, of course, they have to temper expectations, which are growing on the North Side. “We have to expect there are going to be growing pains,” Hoyer said. “That means there will be ups and down.”

Cubs fans will surely take that after their recent won-loss ledgers – they've lost 197 games in the first two years of the Hoyer-Theo Epstein regime after taking over an organization basically bereft of talent before showing noticeable improvement this year. Their current record is tied with their rival White Sox at eighth/ninth worst in MLB and has them buried in last in the otherwise tight NL Central. But it's hard not to get excited about what's there, and what may be coming.

The minor-league stats of their top young players are in many cases nothing short of eye-popping, but the very best news may be the progress of young first baseman Anthony Rizzo and shortstop Starlin Castro, who are already locked up to lucrative long-term deals and needed bounce-back seasons following struggles in 2013. Well, both made the NL All-Star team; Castro is second among qualifying NL shortstops (to Jhonny Peralta) with a .764 OPS, and Rizzo is doing even better; he's second (to Giancarlo Stanton) among all NL players with 30 home runs.

“Last year was just an anomaly (for Castro),” Hoyer said. “The rest of his career he's shown steady progress and been pretty consistent.”

Last year is in the past for the Cubs, who are doing nothing but celebrating the exploits of their under-30 players. There's no question they'll need more pitching help if they have a chance to contend next year, but Jake Arrieta and Kyle Hendricks give them a chance to fill two spots with productive young pitchers. Arrieta (7-4, 2.53) is seen a potential top-of-the-rotation starter while Hendricks (5-1, 1.78) is viewed as mostly a surprise.

Both pitchers sport sterling 1.01 WHIPs. Hoyer credited Arrieta and the Cubs coaches for helping him to harness his vast potential following his trade from the Orioles, who just lost to their former pitcher. Hendricks is surprising folks by having great command and being “really cerebral,” in Hoyer's words.

It doesn't take a genius to see positive things are ahead for the Cubs, not with Javier Baez, who hit 23 homers at Triple-A, adding seven homers in his first 21 big-league games while manning second base, and the other top prospects continuing to thrive in the minors. Arismendy Alcantara, who preceded Baez to the majors, hit .307 at Iowa with 10 homers, and the younger prospects also are all starring, as well.

Twenty-year-old phenom Addison Russell, the top shortstop prospect who came in the Jeff Samardzija/Jason Hammel trade, is hitting .300 with 13 homers in the minors overall, and is doing even better than that since arriving from Oakland as the best prospect traded this summer. Billy McKinney, who came with Russell, is hitting .305 at high-A Daytona (Fla.) Former No. 1 pick Albert Almora, a center fielder, is hitting .299 between A-ball and Double-A.

Top draft choice Kyle Schwarber, the surprise pick out of Indiana University, is hitting .349 with 18 home runs in A ball. Schwarber, a catcher/outfielder, was seen by many as a mid-first round choice, but the Cubs appear to have pegged him correctly as perhaps the top college hitter who was a bargain ($3.125 million) for what seems now like a deserving fourth overall pick.

What's most remarkable of all: None of the big prospects is having off years.

These great young players do combine to create an issue about where to play them all, and it's natural to wonder whether the Cubs, who still need pitching, might package a few of them to bolster a rotation that needs at least two pitchers. Though Hoyer said, “I don't think there's any hurry to do anything.”

In any case, Cubs fans, who know a thing or two about patience, shouldn't have to wait too much longer to see what might be baseball's most exciting group of position players.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/writer/jon-heyman/24682430/the-best-season-ever-for-a-team-thats-59-72-and-ensconsed-in-last

Hoping to see them chase Hamels and Shields for pitching this offseason and next trade deadline. 

Edited by SenorGato

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/writer/jon-heyman/24682430/the-best-season-ever-for-a-team-thats-59-72-and-ensconsed-in-last

Hoping to see them chase Hamels and Shields for pitching this offseason and next trade deadline. 

Hamels may give up 30 home runs a year in Chicago. He has been in steady decline for 3 years. You would be better going after something that will be in upswing, when the bats are all ready.

The bats are more or less ready. Everyone of significance (Baez, Soler, Bryant, and Russell) are on track to show up in 2015. Really don't mind a pitcher of Hamels' caliber at 4/90-92 or whatever that deal is. 

There will be "growing pains" with the young bats, just like there are with any young player. Periods of adjustments. 

There will be "growing pains" with the young bats, just like there are with any young player. Periods of adjustments. 

I don't doubt it. Eventually a couple will establish themselves and we'll be waiting for their ever impending doom. The Yankees won alot of games after 2000, but their prime didn't last long. The window to win is forever small. 

I expect they'll be more balls in come 2016+, but they will add a high quality SP this offseason and probably a veteran bat. I'm not not into the idea of Bryant+ for Stanton and signing Sandoval for 3B. 

Edited by SenorGato

• 4 weeks later...

It's said he has the quickest bat speed in the bigs. Being 21, he's got some time to wise up on the strike zone and pitch judgement and I'm betting he does. Doesn't matter if the Mets want him or not - he's not leaving Chi unless he does a couple seasons of better than 190 k's and I'm not expecting it.

Now I am expecting it - if he doesn't learn to lay of the bad pitches and big breaking stuff, he's a cinch for 200k's next year.

Get the kid some 5 star instruction  - now.

Epstein says they're shooting for the division next year. 

For FAs...Multi year deal guys:

Andrew Miller

James Shields

Francisco Liriano

One year deals:

Joakim Soria

Jesse Crain

Liriano Alternate on a one year: JA Happ

Backup C: Jeff Mathis

Get him if they don't pick up the option: Span, Zobrist (both options will almost definitely be picked up)

I'd be for signing Brandon McCarthy depending on what kind of contract he wants.

• 1 month later...

Joe Maddon was electric during his press conference. I don't expect anything huge anymore, but this should be an exciting offseason. Lester, Andrew Miller, maybe a Liriano or Shields...damn do I want to trade for Hamels.

Dude - how refreshing to listen to someone that doesn't talk out of their rectal cavity and give canned responses based on a perception of what the audience wants to hear.

I've drank the kool-aid and projectile vomited it out many times - just drank a big ole pitcher of it again.

How bout matter of fact comments like this ... "you have to have a decent relationship with someone before you offer them constructive criticism if you want it to be constructive"   .. 

I think Joe may have the Zen thing figured without putting a robe on and studying it. 

A good day for Cubs baseball.

Cubbies are in on Russel Martin according to mlbtraderumors.com

A weakness addressed with nothing compelling in the system either.

He, hopefully, will be able to contribute till it's soup and for a couple after if we're lucky.

I'm expecting to land Martin at this point. Castillo is best used as a backup, and Martin's patience, defense, and pitch framing are clear upgrades. Martin might be among the last catchers you can steal - the numbers I'm hearing are very, very reasonable (something like 4/60-68). The price is only going to go up as pitch framing catches on with the mainstream, and waiting even a year for someone like Wieters (a player I really like) could prove to be costly.

BTW: A FA steal in baseball requires thought as it's never obvious in the ways a min salary superstar is.

• 2 weeks later...

BREAKING NEWS:

Cubs Looking to Extend Epstein's Laurels?

The Cubs seem to be interested in getting at least one more offseason out of Epstein's past success with the Red Sox. The deal being discussed would be a one year deal with a team option for 2016. No word yet on the dollars, but it is likely to be the first contract ever handed out that will not be labeled an overpay.

A spokesman for the club delivered a statement this afternoon. "Prospect prospects right deal flexibility future long term. Aw *****, all these rules."

While the Cubs look at other top FAs like Jon Lester, Maximum Scherzer, and Jim Shields, the word is that they may favor bringing back the fan favorite. Long exalted for it's ability to hold off bad press and placate fan expectations, the the laurels were thought to have been on the way out as recently as two days ago.

BREAKING NEWS:

Cubs Looking to Extend Epstein's Laurels?

The Cubs seem to be interested in getting at least one more offseason out of Epstein's past success with the Red Sox. The deal being discussed would be a one year deal with a team option for 2016. No word yet on the dollars, but it is likely to be the first contract ever handed out that will not be labeled an overpay.

A spokesman for the club delivered a statement this afternoon. "Prospect prospects right deal flexibility future long term. Aw *****, all these rules."

While the Cubs look at other top FAs like Jon Lester, Maximum Scherzer, and Jim Shields, the word is that they may favor bringing back the fan favorite. Long exalted for it's ability to hold off bad press and placate fan expectations, the the laurels were thought to have been on the way out as recently as two days ago.

What drug addled mind wrote this?

“It seems more palatable to just say: ‘Hey, let’s just go the extra year on a free-agent contract,’” Epstein said. “Because the potential burn factor is four years down the line, five years down the line.

“Whereas the prospect, there’s an emotional connection to him. He’s tangible. He’s right here. You’ve just seen him play. You know how talented he is.

“But in the long run, as we all know, not all prospects work out. And usually you don’t like that extra year that you gave the free agent. Those chickens always come home to roost.”

http://www.csnchicago.com/cubs/money...elite-pitching

Shut up about it and just make a Hamels trade.

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like Lester's choices are down to the Cubs and Giants. In the meantime, I've gone ahead and prepared the Jack Daniels/Clorax cocktail I'm going to drink for when he signs with San Francisco.

I tend to believe this due to Boston's dropping the ball last off season, but it is being reported Boston is still in play.