2016 WS Champions/Cubs Thread

SenorGato

I assume they needed a AA arm. Denorfia's a little better a defender, and they're making the same money.

Wright I totally get, and even love. The team doesn't have any lefty relief talent so it seems like some big loss, but Wright has junk stuff and can't get the swing and miss. Out of the pen, I want the swing and miss.

I don't love Wright, but as you said, the organization has a dearth if lefty relievers. If they're planning on using Wada or Doubront in the role, they really should shore up the back end of the rotation because both of them may end up being needed there.

Seems like a lateral move with Denorfia and Ruggiano. Just don't see the point. Not a big deal, though.

I don't love Wright, but as you said, the organization has a dearth if lefty relievers. If they're planning on using Wada or Doubront in the role, they really should shore up the back end of the rotation because both of them may end up being needed there.

Seems like a lateral move with Denorfia and Ruggiano. Just don't see the point. Not a big deal, though.

I think Rosscup can bring the swing and miss as a lefty reliever if/when he finds the strike zone. Good arm strength and his breaking ball could be something, but not enough strikes.

I'd like to move one or two of the Wood/Wada/Doubront/Turner/Straily group in one or two trades.

He didn't post a depth chart for the whole organization. I assume Baez would be the head of the snake, packaged with a few other plus prospects.

If I am the Phillies, I want to start with OFers, so Soler will be at the top of my list. Then 2 other mlb ready, or close to mlb ready players. 

THAT is what the Phillies are after

Phillies will want much more than Baez in trade for Hamels.

Well yeah, but it's a way better start than most teams and the Cubs have a historically deep farm system.

Baez, Almora, Edwards/Johnson, Gleyber Torres, and Duane Underwood for Hamels, Utley, and Diekman. I can go higher around Baez - the system can take the hit - just not getting Rizzo/Castro/Bryant/Russell.

THAT is what the Phillies are after

They traded their former franchise SS this year and will lose Utley next year sooo....The Phillies are hurting everywhere.

Well yeah, but it's a way better start than most teams and the Cubs have a historically deep farm system.

Baez, Almora, Edwards/Johnson, Gleyber Torres, and Duane Underwood for Hamels, Utley, and Diekman. I can go higher around Baez - the system can take the hit - just not getting Rizzo/Castro/Bryant/Russell.

They traded their former franchise SS this year and will lose Utley next year sooo....The Phillies are hurting everywhere.

Phillies have a prospect at SS in Crawford. They will want to start with Soler. Then they will want starting Pitching. 

They will not give up Diekman. The bullpen is the only strong suit that they have right now. They WILL give up Papelbon for a song though.

Just because you want to rape a team in a trade, does not mean they will let you.

Phillies have a prospect at SS in Crawford.

Oh OK, I didn't know they have one SS prospect. Infield complete!

Just because you want to rape a team in a trade, does not mean they will let you.

Luckily calling something a rape based on analysis like "they have a SS prospect" does not it is!

As cool as it is to have a strong bullpen, it doesn't do much for you when the teams sucks. I'd take Papelbon but the Cubs have the prospects to get Diekman. NO different than the Cardinals getting Heyward and Walden.

Oh OK, I didn't know they have one SS prospect. Infield complete!

Luckily calling something a rape based on analysis like "they have a SS prospect" does not mean they will let you.

As cool as it is to have a strong bullpen, it doesn't do much for you when the teams sucks. I'd take Papelbon but the Cubs have the prospects to get Diekman. NO different than the Cardinals getting Heyward and Walden.

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

“It’s totally independent,” Hoyer said. “Kris’ development is independent of any move we made today. We have a number of guys who will be working at third [this spring].”

The list includes 
Mike Olt
, Tommy La Stella, and possibly Arismendy Alcantara. 
Javier Baez
 also could get some playing time there, although he’s projected to start at second base for the Cubs. Baez was currently playing winter ball in Puerto Rico ...

“When Kris is ready, when we think he’s ready to come up to the big leagues, we’ll make that decision but certainly trading Valbuena will not speed up that clock at all,” Hoyer said. “It’s all dependent on Kris.”

I hope they stick to this and don't do anything that will schwansz up the most anticipated pure hitter in the organization for some time. That said, they gotta be thinking that's Bryant's corner sooner than later. 

If he's healthy long term - could be real sweet. I'm still gun shy after Prior.

I'm actually not interested in extending him past 2017. Peter Gammons threw out a nugget last year that three front offices found that pitchers who underwent TJ were very likely to have another major injury or surgery after 7 years. I believe it enough.

Actually PREFER Hamels, but expect the Cubs to disappoint there. Would much rather it be Cubs get Hamels and Red Sox get Strasburg.

Bryant is Keith Law's number one prospect in all of baseball. Can't say I'm surprised after the injuries/ineffectiveness of Buxton and the monster season Kris had. Will be very interested to see if BA lists Bryant as number one as well, but I can't think of anyone else in the conversation.

I'm actually not interested in extending him past 2017. Peter Gammons threw out a nugget last year that three front offices found that pitchers who underwent TJ were very likely to have another major injury or surgery after 7 years. I believe it enough.

Actually PREFER Hamels, but expect the Cubs to disappoint there. Would much rather it be Cubs get Hamels and Red Sox get Strasburg.

Cubs are kicking the tires on James Shields.

The Cubs have entered the fray and are “kicking the tires” on Shields, reports David Kaplan of CSNChicago.com. Kaplan, too, hears that Shields is expected to choose a team by the end of the week, and the Cubs are among those he is considering. Kaplan tweets that the Cubs have been waiting to see where the Shields market ended up before getting too involved. He adds that Shields has interest in Chicago, with his relationship with manager Joe Maddon being a factor.

I'd be good with this, but I'd rather us wait until next year to get another big name pitcher if it's an either/or type thing. Price/Zim and some of the others that could hit the market are much more appealing to me than Shields.

If shields price tag has dropped to 3/55 then the Cubs could probably get a big name next year too. Maddon is probably pushing hard for his former no.2

I'd be good with this, but I'd rather us wait until next year to get another big name pitcher if it's an either/or type thing. Price/Zim and some of the others that could hit the market are much more appealing to me than Shields.

I really get irked when I see Zimmermann tiered with Price. Good pitcher, but Price is way better. Zimmermann's a scary buy as a FA.

The only 2016 FA SPs I am really interested in are Price, Greinke, Samardzija, and Porcello. Better yet, give me Heyward for the largest contract and bring it down to Samardzija or Porcello.

Shields got boring when they signed Lester. Trade for Hamels after Shields signs with SD.

I really get irked when I see Zimmermann tiered with Price. Good pitcher, but Price is way better. Zimmermann's a scary buy as a FA.

The only 2016 FA SPs I am really interested in are Price, Greinke, Samardzija, and Porcello. Better yet, give me Heyward for the largest contract and bring it down to Samardzija or Porcello.

Shields got boring when they signed Lester. Trade for Hamels after Shields signs with SD.

Not really sure how it's egregious to lump Zimmermann in with Price, but okay to lump Porcello in. Zimmermann is far superior to Porcello.