2016 WS Champions/Cubs Thread

SenorGato

No bullsh*t folks, not to toot my own horn, but that is as good a list as you'll get.

Edit:

THAT SAID - there are changes that can be made.

- McKinney moves up past Almora and Schwarber.

- Bryant over Russell

- The Russell comment was a little dishonest. I gave him that tag because Correa and Buxton got hurt last year and he walked out the healthiest, but that is some bullsh*t with further context. That said, Russell is still a stud.

- Was dishonest on McKinney too because I thought Cubs fans overrated him. I let that affect my rankings. Turns out that I'm not really wowed by anybody after the first three and it was easy enough to move him.

- Tseng needs to move up in front of Rivero, most complete SP prospect in the system

It's sickening that the Cubs won't open with him on the roster. I hope the union files that greivance, even know they have no shot to win it and that the world overwhelmingly believes that is OK (meanwhile, fans will talk about merit when paying a ML in FA, how a guy shouldn't be paid because he's declining - fans are just the worst like that).

I already have seen multiple Cubs fans talking about how the Cubs should both cheat him out of a year by keeping him down THEN letting him go because he's old by then anyway. These people are just...they don't deserve to see a winning team, but the guys who do the actual work do so I'm in a tough spot. Some kind of mental illness or something, you'd swear talking to these people that the Cubs generate the revenue of a marginal but somewhat pleasant local bakery.

It's sickening that the Cubs won't open with him on the roster. I hope the union files that greivance, even know they have no shot to win it and that the world overwhelmingly believes that is OK (meanwhile, fans will talk about merit when paying a ML in FA, how a guy shouldn't be paid because he's declining - fans are just the worst like that).

I already have seen multiple Cubs fans talking about how the Cubs should both cheat him out of a year by keeping him down THEN letting him go because he's old by then anyway. These people are just...they don't deserve to see a winning team, but the guys who do the actual work do so I'm in a tough spot. Some kind of mental illness or something, you'd swear talking to these people that the Cubs generate the revenue of a marginal but somewhat pleasant local bakery.

I don't begin to understand anything you're asserting here. Bryant comes up on April 17th  - 12 game days. What kind of handicap does that create for the Cubs or Bryant? is he going to have only 89 million dollars vs. 91 million dollars after his 6 years are up if he works out to be anywhere near his promise? The MLB players association is the strongest union in the world  - as told to me by an oft televised sports media legal expert I know at dinner one night. I believe him wholeheartedly. I'm hoping to enjoy Kris Bryant as a Cub for a long time - and if a minuscule blip on his career path guarantee's he's on my team for an additional season - I'm backing the Cubs on this one.

• Upvote 1

I don't begin to understand anything you're asserting here. Bryant comes up on April 17th - 12 game days. What kind of handicap does that create for the Cubs or Bryant? is he going to have only 89 million dollars vs. 91 million dollars after his 6 years are up if we works out to be anywhere near his promise? The MLB players association is the strongest union in the world - as told to me by an oft televised sports media legal expert I know at dinner one night. I believe him wholeheartedly. I'm hoping to enjoy Kris Bryant as a Cub for a long time - and if a minuscule blip on his career path guarantee's he's on my team for an additional season - I'm backing the Cubs on this one.

This! 2 weeks vs a whole season.

• Upvote 1

I don't begin to understand anything you're asserting here. Bryant comes up on April 17th  - 12 game days. What kind of handicap does that create for the Cubs or Bryant? is he going to have only 89 million dollars vs. 91 million dollars after his 6 years are up if he works out to be anywhere near his promise? The MLB players association is the strongest union in the world  - as told to me by an oft televised sports media legal expert I know at dinner one night. I believe him wholeheartedly. I'm hoping to enjoy Kris Bryant as a Cub for a long time - and if a minuscule blip on his career path guarantee's he's on my team for an additional season - I'm backing the Cubs on this one.

Eh, just call him up and extend him. Problem solved.

Calling him up on the 17th would be too obvious, it might not happen until maybe a week later against the Reds. That'll be ten division games into what will be a very tight finish in the NL central.

That'll be ten division games into what will be a very tight finish in the NL central.

I'm giving them about a 20% chance of postseason activity. Therefore don't think the games Kris won't be involved in mean much.

I'm giving them about a 20% chance of postseason activity. Therefore don't think the games Kris won't be involved in mean much.

I think they're a borderline playoff team now and definitely one with Bryant and another pitcher. Otherwise, nice way to waste Lester's age 31, Castro's age 25, Rizzo's age 26, Bryant's age 23....you don't get those back.

Eh, just call him up and extend him. Problem solved.

Calling him up on the 17th would be too obvious, it might not happen until maybe a week later against the Reds. That'll be ten division games into what will be a very tight finish in the NL central.

Too obvious? 

Sending him down for 12 days is not illegal. They don't have to play coy. Bryant will be up April 17. He will be a Cub for at least one extra season. It's a no brainer decision, barring a sudden extension, which is not happening with Scott Boras as his agent.

Best case scenario for the Cubs is that Boras suddenly dies within the next six years.

Too obvious?

Sending him down for 12 days is not illegal. They don't have to play coy. Bryant will be up April 17. He will be a Cub for at least one extra season. It's a no brainer decision, barring a sudden extension, which is not happening with Scott Boras as his agent.

Best case scenario for the Cubs is that Boras suddenly dies within the next six years.

1 - Boras clients not extending is just more of dishonest bullsh*t people have forced out of their mouths and keyboards on this topic. Scherzer talked extension, Andrus actually extended, Holliday extended, Maddux would have resigned if the Cubs weren't run by cheap scumbags, Andruw Jones was a Brave for a decade+, Jered Weaver, Keith Hernandez, Jason Varitek,...gave the Dodgers a smooth out when they wanted to release Jones....Carlos Gonzalez extended...

2 - Sadly not even the first Cub fan I've heard with that level of venom towards Boras. I think the best case scenario for humanity as a whole is that those people shoot themselves in the temple on principle.

1 - Boras clients not extending is just more of dishonest bullsh*t people have forced out of their mouths and keyboards on this topic. Scherzer talked extension, Andrus actually extended, Holliday extended, Maddux would have resigned if the Cubs weren't run by cheap scumbags, Andruw Jones was a Brave for a decade+, Jered Weaver, Keith Hernandez, Jason Varitek,...gave the Dodgers a smooth out when they wanted to release Jones....Carlos Gonzalez extended...

2 - Sadly not even the first Cub fan I've heard with that level of venom towards Boras. I think the best case scenario for humanity as a whole is that those people shoot themselves in the temple on principle.

1. Of course Andrus extended! Did you see his effing contract? It may be the worst in baseball. I didn't say Boras clients never sign extensions, but a Rizzo/Castro type deal for Bryant is not happening.

You are so much better than the average Cub fan. We should all aspire to be more like you as both a fan of sports and a human being.

The Andrus deal isn't bad at all. He managed almost 3.5 WAR a year from 20-25, at a premium position, and peaks at $15 million a year. The guys who come up that young and are immediately productive like that are, by far, your best bets for long and productive careers.

You actually literally said:

barring a sudden extension, which is not happening with Scott Boras as his agent.

Now it's extension to well below market extension...Keep ******* that chicken.

The Andrus deal isn't bad at all. He managed almost 3.5 WAR a year from 20-25, at a premium position, and peaks at $15 million a year. The guys who come up that young and are immediately productive like that are, by far, your best bets for long and productive careers.

You actually literally said:

Now it's extension to well below market extension...Keep ******* that chicken.

Elvis Andrus has zero power and has not once in his career been a league average hitter. Which is fine for a shortstop, but you are f*cking insane if you think 8/118 is a reasonable fee for his services. Solid all around player. Not a star, but has a star's contract.

Bryant has never played an MLB game. Not sure how it's "well below market value" for him to sign a contract like Rizzo or Castro, who was already an All Star at a premium position. Guys like McCutchen and Goldschmidt have signed reasonable extensions that buy out their arbitration years and they are among the elite players in the league.

Elvis Andrus has zero power and has not once in his career been a league average hitter. Which is fine for a shortstop, but you are f*cking insane if you think 8/118 is a reasonable fee for his services. Solid all around player. Not a star, but has a star's contract.

Bryant has never played an MLB game. Not sure how it's "well below market value" for him to sign a contract like Rizzo or Castro, who was already an All Star at a premium position. Guys like McCutchen and Goldschmidt have signed reasonable extensions that buy out their arbitration years and they are among the elite players in the league.

Nope on that, and nope on that being a star's contract. 15 million a year to a guy who was what..24(?) when he signed that deal isn't star money. If he were to hit FA at the same time he signed that deal, same age and same track record, he'd get more money than that. McCutchen and Goldschmidt are also signed to extremely below market deals.

Bryant's staying down, and probably service time will come up in the next CBA.

Nope on that, and nope on that being a star's contract. 15 million a year to a guy who was what..24(?) when he signed that deal isn't star money. If he were to hit FA at the same time he signed that deal, same age and same track record, he'd get more money than that. McCutchen and Goldschmidt are also signed to extremely below market deals.

Bryant's staying down, and probably service time will come up in the next CBA.

Among position players, Andrus is the 31st highest paid player in baseball. He's making more this season than Molina, Votto, Braun, and Pedroia among others. Sorry to burst your bubble, guy, but they paid him like a star.

Among position players, Andrus is the 31st highest paid player in baseball. He's making more this season than Molina, Votto, Braun, and Pedroia among others. Sorry to burst your bubble, guy, but they paid him like a star.

Yeah, you're still doing it wrong. That's before I point out that at least two of those guys have deals that take them to 20-25 million next year. Soooo yeeeeah....Lets just move on and you can have that Bryant isn't coming up for opening day.

Yeah, that's not going to be it. More like Baez and Schwarber with three four other guys like Wood, Castillo, and two lesser prospects.

Phillies are not looking for lesser prospects. They are looking for MLB ready prospects. Hamels is under control for 4 more years with a team option for a 5th. His contract is not outrageous.

The Phillies are not is a position where they HAVE TO shed payroll. They control this deal.

Phillies are not looking for lesser prospects. They are looking for MLB ready prospects. Hamels is under control for 4 more years with a team option for a 5th. His contract is not outrageous.

The Phillies are not is a position where they HAVE TO shed payroll. They control this deal.

You are correct, this isn't a salAry dump for the Phillies. Where you go wrong is actually buying that it will cost two, or even one, of Bryant/Soler/Russell. No team in baseball that will be trading with the Phillies has even one guy on that level. Isn't this like the fourth time we are going over this?

You are correct, this isn't a salAry dump for the Phillies. Where you go wrong is actually buying that it will cost two, or even one, of Bryant/Soler/Russell. No team in baseball that will be trading with the Phillies has even one guy on that level. Isn't this like the fourth time we are going over this?

I am just telling you what I know the Phillies are thinking. I live in the market and they have been adamant about getting 2 mlb ready prospects, at least. 

Boston has prospects, as does Texas.

I am just telling you what I know the Phillies are thinking. I live in the market and they have been adamant about getting 2 mlb ready prospects, at least.

Boston has prospects, as does Texas.

Yes, Scott, everyone has prospects. Neither one of those teams has an equivalent to one of Bryant/Soler/Russell, let alone two.

Phillies would love one of Blake Swihart or Mookie Betts in a trade.

Youalready said that Bryant, Soler or Russell WOULD NOT be included in any package,

Yes, and they won't be included in any package. They are all better than Swihart or Betts. If Swihart is all it takes then hello Baez and Schwarber.

Yes, and they won't be included in any package. They are all better than Swihart or Betts. If Swihart is all it takes then hello Baez and Schwarber.

Wasn't Baez the guy you were touting last spring? His numbers last year plus this Spring-173/.218/.231 with a 20/3 K/BB ratio over 16 games this spring. He makes Dan Uggla look good. I wouldn't trade for him at all.