Jets Trade for Otah

JetsFanNick12

In this deal, that's the least of my concerns. I'm reading that Carolina gave up on him because they believe his lingering injuries have more to do with him being soft, disliking contact, etc., than on any real physical problem. The success of this move hinges on Otah's desire to play football. Either he gets his sh*t together with the Jets this season, or he's out of the league. Does that matter to him?

Fair point, but I'm sure the fact that it's a contract year for him helped to make the Jets feel better about the deal. After all, they've shown a tendency to like getting other team's outcasts when in their contract year, thinking that they can (ideally) get a big return on a small investment (see: Edwards, Holmes). Of course the problem then becomes what to do if that player does work out in their contract year, do you trust them beyond that? (see: Holmes)

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it has more to do with his knees. He has never had a problem being physical, the guy is a mauler. I think carolina couldnt rely on him to be healthy and I get that. you want your Oline to be reliable, take the needle and get out there and do your job. When it comes to your knees it is different than getting an epidural to mask the pain. at least i would imagine it would be...

taking off the green glasses for a second, Hunter is fully guarunteed $2.45 Mil this year. The economics say that player will start over Otah who is due less than a million. The Jets seem unlikely to cut this player and also pay him. Also as others have noted Otah had a reputation for laziness, even when he wasn't injured. the best case for Otah might be as a swing tackle. Being traded for a conditional 7th doesn't usually translate into starting quality player. It usually means backup. one other thought, Otah might be able to play guard.

taking off the green glasses for a second, Hunter is fully guarunteed $2.45 Mil this year. The economics say that player will start over Otah who is due less than a million.

All the economics say is that Hunter won't be cut this year. They say nothing about who the starter will be.

All the economics say is that Hunter won't be cut this year. They say nothing about who the starter will be.

Bingo. Either way the same amount of cap room will be tied up by these two players, you think Rex gives a sh*t which one is getting paid more? He's going to start whichever one he thinks gives the Jets a better chance to win.

whats the hit on Ducasse if he's let go?

he was signed as a project. say what you want about tanny(i know you will anyway) but it doesnt change the fact that Ducasse is a project that was stunted by the lockout. Hopefully he will do better with this system and maybe even be able to concentrate on the guard position now that we have a RT and a backup RT. So he does have those 2 things going for him instead of things going against him. we will see....

whats the hit on Ducasse if he's let go?

http://nyjetscap.com/vladimirducasse.html

$922,500. Considering that's more than what he currently is counting against the cap, they'll probably give him one more year at the bottom of the depth chart and keep their fingers crossed. At the very least they're certainly not doing anything until the end of camp.

http://nyjetscap.com/vladimirducasse.html

$922,500. Considering that's more than what he currently is counting against the cap, they'll probably give him one more year at the bottom of the depth chart and keep their fingers crossed. At the very least they're certainly not doing anything until the end of camp.

My guess is, for better or worse, he plays out his entire rookie contract. Sparano and Gugs will see that the man is a rare athlete, and will want their own shot at making something out of him.

My guess is, for better or worse, he plays out his entire rookie contract. Sparano and Gugs will see that the man is a rare athlete, and will want their own shot at making something out of him.

Very real chance you're right, but it will also probably depend on some other factors like what they end up getting out of the likes of Schlauderaff and Griffin, or whether the team re-signs Slauson after this year. That's of course assuming Ducasse doesn't simply improve enough to earn the spot himself.

http://nyjetscap.com...mirducasse.html

Option A is that the Jets will try to trade him for a conditional 7th on some condition that will never be met. A portion of Ducasses dead money is guaranteed base salary that covers a playing time incentive that almost everyone, not names Gholston, would earn drafted in the 1st or 2nd round. If they can trade him that guarantee transfers to another club. In that case the dead money on Ducasse is:

2012- $256,250

2013- $256,250

Cutting him still could be worthwhile if he just continues to be dead space. In that case the cap would be

2012- $666,250

2013- $256,250

Thats probably enough of a savings to where its worth doing.

opening day roster:

starters (5)

Brick

Slauson

Mangold

Moore

Hunter

backups (3)

Vlad (backup OG)

Caleb the Raff (backup C)

either Jeff Otah or Stephon Heyer (backup OT)

Practice squad

robert T Griffin

if otah is healthy, i would love to see the jets goal line package. otah at rt and ducasse as te.2 serious pancakers

Rich Cimini@RichCimini

Been getting some questions about newly-acquired OT Jeff Otah: No, he hasn't passed physical yet. Guessing he'll take it Thursday.

FWIW, I am with Slats all the way on this, except for the DucASSe ASSessment. It will come down to Otah's passion for the game. Hunter will be highly motivated, even more so now. Vlad is on his last leg too. This move, if nothing else, will raise the OL intensity level at practice, which will cause the entire team to dig a little deeper. As long as no one gets hurt over some BS, this can only be a productive move. Who gives a $hit if they lose a 7th rd pick? They drafted 4 7th rounders this year, so they have a stockpile.

Find this article at: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82ac75f9/article/jeff-otah-to-new-york-jets-a-riskfree-tackle-upgrade

Jeff Otah to New York Jets a risk-free tackle upgrade

• By Dan Hanzus
  • Published: July 24, 2012 at 03:55 p.m.
  • Updated: July 24, 2012 at 04:03 p.m.

The New York Jets claimed during the offseason they believed in Wayne Hunter, then pulled the trigger on a trade that proved they didn't.

Don't view Jeff Otah -- acquired Monday from the Carolina Panthers for a conditional draft pick -- as competing against Hunter in training camp. The truth is it's Otah vs. the troublesome the left knee that's forced him to miss 31 of his last 35 games.

If Otah is healthy enough to play, he's going to get the first crack at New York's right tackle spot. Hunter was a mess there last season, and it was genuinely surprising the Jets hadn't acted aggressively to upgrade through free agency or the draft.

Better late than never, and a healthy Otah represents a significant upgrade, especially for a team intent on returning to "ground and pound."

It's a relatively risk-free move for the Jets, but don't assume they've solved their offensive line concerns with one deft transaction. Otah has baggage -- all those missed games on a knee doctors have declared structural sound made him an unpopular player in Carolina, perhaps as unpopular as Hunter was with the Jets.

This is really a case of the upside being as high as the downside is low. Carolina loved Otah enough to trade up in 2008 to draft him 19th overall. He's got a ton of natural ability, but will a change of scenery (and several months of recovery time) allow Otah to finally reach his potential?

It's a gamble worth taking for a Jets team low on options.

otah on crutches > wayne hunter at full strength

According to Rich Cimini, he went to orthopedist James Andrews, who said his knee is structurally sound. He hasnt taken his physical yet but that should happen on Thursday. This is definitely going to be an interesting season now we can add the Otah - Hunter competition to the Sanchez-Tebow competition!

All I can say is Jets Jets Jets!

According to Rich Cimini, he went to orthopedist James Andrews, who said his knee is structurally sound. He hasnt taken his physical yet but that should happen on Thursday. This is definitely going to be an interesting season now we can add the Otah - Hunter competition to the Sanchez-Tebow competition!

All I can say is Jets Jets Jets!

Happy birthday, JiF.

Newly acquired offensive tackle Jeff Otah has failed his physical (knee) and will begin training camp on the active physically-unable-to-perform (PUP) list. He will join safety LaRon Landry (ankle), receiver Jordan White (foot), linebacker Demario Davis (hamstring) and offensive guard Terrence Campbell (hamstring) on the active PUP list.

Players must be placed on the active PUP list before training camp begins and may not practice with the team. They are allowed to attend meetings and can be removed from the PUP list to the active roster once they are healthy enough to do so during camp.

They could be moved to the reserve PUP list if not ready by the end of camp. Once on reserve PUP the player cannot return until after the sixth regular season game.

Jeff Otah fails his physical at Jets

Jeff Otah | NYJ (July 25, 2012 6:48 PM EDT) New Jets OT Jeff Otah failed his physical to open training camp and was placed on active/PUP.

Otah is presumably still not fully healed from last year's knee injury, and he also has a bad history when it comes to his back. It's fair to wonder if he might be damaged goods. Otah will be eligible to practice when/if he gets healthy.

SOURCE: HOWARD BALZER ON TWITTER

Archived