Jets Trade for Otah

JetsFanNick12

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't really know Otah's story. Maybe one of our Carolina posters have the info?

Former 1st rounder who was well deserving of the grade. Looked good in the games that he's started, but he's had major knee problems, been on IR the past two seasons. Jets are probably gambling that time's helped heal the knee and that their medical staff can bring it along since they're the best in the league; and Carolina's probably gambling that he's done.

Great trade if he can get on the field. When ever he's been able to play he's looked like every bit the guy he was at Pitt.

We have certainly rolled the "stay healthy" dice on free agency. If Otah and Landry stay healthy it will be an incredible win. If not a tandem exercise bicycle on the sideline would be a nice touch.

We have certainly rolled the "stay healthy" dice on free agency. If Otah and Landry stay healthy it will be an incredible win. If not a tandem exercise bicycle on the sideline would be a nice touch.

I liked Landry until I saw that teams were only offering him 1-year deals. I have no doubt he'll start the first couple games, look awesome, and then shatter his leg whilst in a gay embrace with Eric Smith after an interception.

notable that the Jets and Carolina continue to have a strong trade relationship. This was the team that dealt with the Jets for the Revis trade up and as someone mentioned kris Jenkins.

as for Otah in Carolina, he never lived up to first round billing because of his health. this is a player that Hurney avoids having to cut at the end of camp (It's a media disaster to cut a former first round pick). Or have to put him on PUP again. I interpret this trade as basically the Panthers have had enough of his unreliability.

as for Otah with the Jets It's easy to think he's gonna win that starting job over hunter. He certainly has more line talent than Hunter. Like the Tebow trade, Wayne Hunter has to work harder right now and that's probably the most reliable part of the deal.

But it's also real fair to question what kind of shape he's in or what his future holds. It's a lottery pick. It wouldn't surprise me to see him start, it also wouldn't surprise me to see him cut after training camp.

we're getting press releases now?? soon enough they'll let you ask mike tannenbaum questions at a social breakfast gathering.

We have been getting press releases for awhile. LOL about breakfast. JN has a bad track rep anytime pancakes are involved.

All things being considered, even a somewhat healthy Otah is a good move for the OL.

Agreed, the depth on the OL was pretty garbage, especially at T. Instead of D'Brick/Hunter/Ducasse/etc it's D'Brikck/Otah/Hunter/Vlad. Depth is a big part of maintaining goodness at the NFL level in production. It helps the team play good in times where others might say they will play not so good, such as periods of unhealthy for those of who are higher up on the list. If Otah is healthy then Shonn Greene will be the best.

You guys are making too much of this deal. They clearly only traded for Otah to make his lackadaisical approach to the game make Coples look like a rah-rah guy in comparison.

Dont worry. Tim Tebow will either shape'em up or ship'em out.

Lackadaisical would be an awesome name for an offshore fishing boat.

I know a guy if you need an anchor.

Agreed, the depth on the OL was pretty garbage, especially at T. Instead of D'Brick/Hunter/Ducasse/etc it's D'Brikck/Otah/Hunter/Vlad. Depth is a big part of maintaining goodness at the NFL level in production. It helps the team play good in times where others might say they will play not so good, such as periods of unhealthy for those of who are higher up on the list. If Otah is healthy then Shonn Greene will be the best.

Watch Vlad have a monster year for someone off the bench.

The guy has only played in four games over the last two seasons. This is a conditional seventh rounder level move. I'm more concerned about his head than anything else. This is the final year of his rookie contract. Either he wants to keep getting paid to play football, or he doesn't. It's a smart gamble for the Jets, but I won't be getting my hopes up.

We'll see. The guy still has to pass a physical and make it through camp. Until that happens, Im not getting my hopes up.

My thoughts exactly. My question is does a team ever wave a physical knowing it is suck a low risk/high reward deal like Otah ?

Do we think that he was traded yesterday after failing his team's pre-camp conditioning test ?

As much as they would love to pencil in Otah as starter, given his health issues ... I personally don't think they are banking the farm on this new guy .

With Hunter ready to go they have some leeway to allow this guy's conditioning and knees extra time to get ready. If Otahs knees improve to the point where he can compete, I am guessing he would easily displace Hunter at RT.

The fact that the team has waited to the eve of training camp to address this issue suggests that unlike myself and many fans, the FO believes that Hunter, under a different scheme, can turn it around this year.

Personally, if I was the praying type, I would be on my knees praying for Otahs knees.

The guy has only played in four games over the last two seasons. This is a conditional seventh rounder level move. I'm more concerned about his head than anything else. This is the final year of his rookie contract. Either he wants to keep getting paid to play football, or he doesn't. It's a smart gamble for the Jets, but I won't be getting my hopes up.

I think that's an important point in this move. The guy's in a contract year right now, and his two issues have been staying healthy and being motivated. Apparently he's healthy now, and the physical should at least give a chance to nix the deal if he isn't. Obviously getting paid is a nice motivating factor. Hopefully it all comes together and works out, though I would be concerned about overpaying for him once he its the FA market if it does.

That's the bottom line, it's a smart gamble. The definition of low-risk/high-reward. The absolute worst case scenario, the Jets still have the guy they originally had slated to start this year ready to go and maybe lose a 7th rounder in the process. Don't think for a second the Jets aren't thinking right now about the fact that they gambled a lot more back when they signed Woody and that worked out pretty damn well, and if there's any part of this team they have to have confidence in, it's got to be the medical staff.

LOL.... won't that be cute? There could be posters made of them smiling and riding a "bicycle built for two"

That's the bottom line, it's a smart gamble. The definition of low-risk/high-reward. The absolute worst case scenario, the Jets still have the guy they originally had slated to start this year ready to go and maybe lose a 7th rounder in the process. Don't think for a second the Jets aren't thinking right now about the fact that they gambled a lot more back when they signed Woody and that worked out pretty damn well, and if there's any part of this team they have to have confidence in, it's got to be the medical staff.

In this deal, that's the least of my concerns. I'm reading that Carolina gave up on him because they believe his lingering injuries have more to do with him being soft, disliking contact, etc., than on any real physical problem. The success of this move hinges on Otah's desire to play football. Either he gets his sh*t together with the Jets this season, or he's out of the league. Does that matter to him?

Archived