Tebow may be used as kick returner by Jets

Jetfan13

Jets special teams coordinator Mike Westhoff, who has returned to the team after missing part of offseason workouts and minicamp following leg surgery in May, said Tebow would “possibly” be used as a situational kick returner, Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News reports.

“There are certain situations (on kickoffs) where he might be on the field that he could be utilized possibly to block or possibly to field a ball,” Westhoff told the Daily News. “If a team squibs it at you or pops it at you, he might be the perfect guy to put in that could make an adjustment. If they kick it deep, he could block. If they squib it or pop it, he could be a guy that we’d have with a ball in his hands. . . . Jerricho Cotchery did a nice job for us in that role. Brad Smith, before he became the (primary return) guy, did some of that for us. So, it’s just a situational thing.”

It’s unclear how much special teams work Tebow will get, but Westhoff promised that the QB’s presence will help keep the opposition on high alert.

“His role with me won’t be a paramount role,” Westhoff said. “I’m not counting on Tebow coming in and being a hard-core special teams player. That’s not what we want. We have a limited role for him, but it will be one that presents problems. That’s what Tebow is all about. He presents problems to good football teams in a lot of aspects. You have to be aware of it. If you’re not aware of it, it could jump up and smack you. . . . His role with me will be limited, but I think it’s a very important one. He can help us in a lot of ways.”

Lol, our RT will either be Wayne Hunter or a guy who hasn't played in 2 years and our "backup QB" will be taking part in kickoff return. This season is going to be fun

OOOOOOOH YEAH MOMMA!!!

At this point I honestly believe they are letting people's imaginations run wild. They have basically said that Tebow will be a KR, ST Blocker, Punt team, Goal line QB, Wildcat QB, RB, and TE.

They have not let out what he is going to be and why would they. They are playing into the ridiculousness of it all IMO. People will believe anything.

Good ideas, since he has already proven that he can NEVER be a winning NFL QB..... :winking0001:

NFL (after first 16 starts)

Pass Attempts - 400 (77.7 PER)

Carries - 180, 5.3 ypc (a running QB that throws more than twice as much as he runs)

Passing Yards - 3,335, 15.4 yds/comp (inaccurate weak arm)

Rushing Yards - 950 ((has more than 3x's in passing yds)

Passing TD's - 20 to 9 Ints (2.22 to 1 TD/Int Ratio)

Rushing 13 (has almost twice that in passing TD's)

Total Offense: 4,285 yds with 33 TD's to just 15 T-O's for a 9-7 W/L record,

> for a team that was 4-14 without him as starting QB. <

I think that they should also let him be the water-boy cause..... (HE CAN DO IT!!) :animal0029:

:penguin:

Lol, our RT will either be Wayne Hunter or a guy who hasn't played in 2 years and our "backup QB" will be taking part in kickoff return. This season is going to be fun

If Tebow was on the Patriots and they were finding all these creative ways to use him, BB would be regarded as a genius.

OOOOOOOH YEAH MOMMA!!!

At this point I honestly believe they are letting people's imaginations run wild. They have basically said that Tebow will be a KR, ST Blocker, Punt team, Goal line QB, Wildcat QB, RB, and TE.

They have not let out what he is going to be and why would they. They are playing into the ridiculousness of it all IMO. People will believe anything.

Yep. Let them prepare for the unknown. Its great.

OOOOOOOH YEAH MOMMA!!!

We aren't exactly coached by Machiavelli and Co. so I have little confidence we're actually playing mind games. It's more likely after the excitement and initial cover stories they actually saw him "throw" a football and are just as clueless as us on how exactly they want to use him.

This may be a bit off the mark but what do you think of Tebow at safety? He has some speed (not sure he is fast enough), the size to cover the bigger TE's and with good hands and a limited number of reads to make he might be a good fit. Not to mentionthat while playing safety his poor passing will not come into play.

This may be a bit off the mark but what do you think of Tebow at safety? He has some speed (not sure he is fast enough), the size to cover the bigger TE's and with good hands and a limited number of reads to make he might be a good fit. Not to mentionthat while playing safety his poor passing will not come into play.

He's LB size, man. And yes, he's too slow. By a long shot.

We aren't exactly coached by Machiavelli and Co. so I have little confidence we're actually playing mind games. It's more likely after the excitement and initial cover stories they actually saw him "throw" a football and are just as clueless as us on how exactly they want to use him.

Why wouldn't you believe we are allowing the press to run with whatever they want to? If any team, or coach for that matter, has been scorned and abandoned by the press this year it's been the Jets and Rex respectively. Plus don't forget that Sparano, for all of his seeming straight forwardness, took the NFL by storm in 08 with the wildcat. He figured out a way to best utilize his best players. He's much more creative than people are giving him credit for. We have just been dealing with schott for so long that "creative" has become a bad word around here.

All we hear is Ground and pound! Ground and Pound! Then we go and sign a speedy WR in Schillens, use our 2nd pick on WR Stephen Hill while Holmes, Keller, and Kerley are already here. Don't be fooled my friend. We addressed the passing game and little else on offense this offseason. I think we're all being duped...well... except me of course :D

Didn't Rex basically start the whole ritual of signing guys from other teams and making them the captain the week we play them? Seems a little mind gamey to me.

I don't care that we are using someone technically considered a QB as a special teams savant. But why is there talk of him doing stuff that makes no sense? He is a big dude, that isn't gonna be breaking any ankles with his lateral movement. Let him be the wedge on kick coverage instead.

Archived