Training Camp Notes - Sunday 7.29.2012

The Gun Of Bavaria

Thanks GOB. First day in pads...

Real football begins!

I'm excited. Looking forward to watching Sanchez' continued development with the threat of Tebow to motivate him. I've like the things he's been saying (attack mode etc) and honestly think this is the year that he makes the leap to being a more secure QB for us. If he does that, we win big games this year IMO.

"@Steiny31: Joe McKnight continues to look good. Just had a nice run up the middle. #nyj"

"@Steiny31: Day 3 Stars: @ALLENBOI26, @NBELLORE54, Garrett McIntyre, @AaronMaybin51, Bilal Powell, @Sapp55 and @EllisLankster26. #nyj"

Ricky Sapp and Aaron Maybin are rooming together at camp. These two could be the answer to the Jets OLB pass rushing woes of days old. Loved Sapp coming out of Clemson, but he got hurt early in his career and never really resurfaced. All reports say that Sapp has worked his tail off and is doing great things in practice. Would be awesome if the Maybin/Sapp tandom turns out to be fearsome.

ESPN.com: New York Jets [Print without images]

Sunday, July 29, 2012

Practice report: Defense prevails

By Jane McManus

CORTLAND, N.Y. -- As good as coach Rex Ryan said the new Tony Sparano offense looked in the first practice of the 2012 season three days ago, things looked a lot different Sunday morning in the team's first practice in pads.

QUARTERBACKS STRUGGLE: This morning, that new offense was dominated by a vintage-looking defense. Mark Sanchez and Tim Tebow both went a woeful 1-for-7 passing in full team drills. Things looked a little better in 7-on-7 drills, where Sanchez was 5-for-7 and Tebow was 4-for-6.

Tebow struggled at the start, landing in the dirt in his first rep thanks to Marcus Dixon. He overthrew Eron Riley on the next, sent an incompletion to Stephen Hill and finally got some yardage when he scrambled on the next play. There were some groans in the crowd after his awkward missteps, but Tebow’s scramble brought hearty cheers.

Some wide receiver errors affected Sanchez’ numbers. He sent one to Patrick Turner who ran ahead without looking back for the ball, and Dedrick Epps mishandled another deep ball.

MAYBIN SHINES: Aaron Maybin (at least one sack to add to add to two on Saturday) could’ve been a spokesperson for Red Bull with all the energy he put into pressure. The defense looked good even though Darrelle Revis was held out of the team drills with tightness in his hamstring. The Pro Bowl cornerback said he was prepared to practice, but the training staff was being cautious with his history of hamstring issues.

ALLEN INTERCEPTS TWO: Rookie safety Antonio Allen had two interceptions -- one off Matt Simms and the other off Greg McElroy. McElroy struggled.

INJURY REPORT: With contact, comes injuries. Josh Baker left practice with a very bloody nose after an early special teams period, but returned wearing a red pinny for full team drills later.

DB Royce Adams was stretched on the sideline, with what appeared to be a left leg issue. LB Marcus Dowtin worked out on the side after individual drills, as did FB Fui Vakupuna. And the usual PUP crew of LB Demario Davis, G Terrence Campbell and T Jeff Otah were on the sidelines.

Otah has until July 31 to pass a physical or the trade with the Panthers for the lineman is void.

PUNT RETURNS: With WR Jeremy Kerley (hamstring) out, punt returns were handled by Joe McKnight, Kyle Wilson, Royce Pollard and Dexter Jackson.

MAYBIN SHINES: Aaron Maybin (at least one sack to add to add to two on Saturday) could’ve been a spokesperson for Red Bull with all the energy he put into pressure. The defense looked good even though Darrelle Revis was held out of the team drills with tightness in his hamstring. The Pro Bowl cornerback said he was prepared to practice, but the training staff was being cautious with his history of hamstring issues.

This guy is going to be what we thought we were getting with the ghost. So f'ing amped up about the potential for this D!

"@MMehtaNYDN: Rex says Maybin could play in more packages this year: "I could definitely see that. I think he's on his way to earning more responsibility""

"@KMart_LI: Like Landry, Maybin goes "100mph." Says Maybin has to earn a bigger role, but "he's on his way." #nyj"

Now that they have pads on, that'll be the thing to watch with the receivers, especially Hill and Schilens--it doesn't matter how fast you can run if you can't get off the jam. Sounds like that was the case today.

Very true. What gets me more is the reports about offensive lineman looking good when they weren't wearing pad. Seriously? It is very hard to grade a lot of this if there is no chance of contact on any given play.

Very true. What gets me more is the reports about offensive lineman looking good when they weren't wearing pad. Seriously? It is very hard to grade a lot of this if there is no chance of contact on any given play.

the new rules suck.

These non padded practices are completely useless.

ESPN.com: AFC East [Print without images]

Sunday, July 29, 2012

Tebow, Sanchez struggle in practice Sunday

By James Walker

It was a dominant day for the New York Jets defense Sunday. ESPNNewYork’s Jane McManus reports Jets quarterbacks Tim Tebow and Mark Sanchez both struggled, going a combined 2-for-14 passing in team drills.

Each quarterback completed just one pass against New York’s defense, which finished fifth in the NFL last season. Both quarterbacks were reportedly better in 7-on-7 drills, which is advantageous to the offense because there’s no pass rush.

There is not open quarterback competition between Sanchez and Tebow, but all eyes still are on the quarterbacks. If Sanchez struggles early during the regular season, the Jets will be pressured to put Tebow in the starting lineup.

Playing against New York’s defense everyday is not easy. There will be some growing pains, but the Jets hope it makes their quarterbacks better.

Otah unsure if he'll be able to join Jets as he works to pass physical

Share on twitterShare on facebookShare on myspaceShare on stumbleuponShare on diggShare on farkShare on redditShare on email|More Sharing ServicesMore Print

12:19 PM, July 29, 2012 ι By TIM BONTEMPS

CORTLAND – Jeff Otah still isn’t sure if he’ll be able to join the Jets.

For the third straight day, Otah worked out with trainers on the side during Sunday’s practice, as he continues to try and improve his ailing left knee to the point where he can pass a physical.

“I’ve been moving around these past couple days, and it’s been getting better,” Otah said.

Still, the massive 6-foot-6, 340-pound tackle wasn’t sure when the Jets would give him another physical, which, if he passes it, would allow the trade the team made with Carolina on July 24 official, and would allow Otah to begin competing with Wayne Hunter for the starting right tackle job.

“Right now they’re just kind of rehabbing me and things are going good,” he said. “I’m just kind of doing what I’m told.

“It’s getting better. It’s not 100 percent. That’s what we’re doing right now. All this work on the field, and working with the trainers … they’re getting me ready.”

If Otah is unable to pass a physical by Tuesday, the trade will be nullified, something that Otah admitted is weighing on his mind.

“I think about it, but I feel like I’m improving every day,” he said, “so I feel good.”

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/jetsblog/otah_unsure_if_he_ll_join_jets_0D1FHA1GkogbUafoII6x0H#ixzz2225meIgv

Archived