Jets putting together a package for Cromartie to play receiver

Jetfan13

Jets offensive coordinator Tony Sparano plans to build a select set of plays for cornerback Antonio Cromartie at wide receiver.

“They’re trying to make up a ‘Cro Package,’” Cromartie told Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News after a rain-soaked practice in front of 2,588 fans on Saturday. “So I’ll see what goes in there.”

On Friday, Rex Ryan revealed that Cromartie might see some playing time at wide receiver, but the details of how he will be incorporated remain uncertain. Cromartie, who lined up at wideout for five snaps last season (with no receptions and one rushing attempt), according to Pro Football Focus, is eager to be a situational two-way player.

Cromartie’s athleticsm, wingspan and great hands make him an intriguing offensive option.

“I believe I can do it,” Cromartie said. “You got to pick your spots. You got to figure out what routes I can run, what routes I can’t run. That’s what we’re going to do.”

Cromartie said that he caught passes from Mark Sanchez during Organized Team Actvities in the offseason. Although he admitted that he’ll likely be asked to run a few specific pass patterns, he was confident in his ability to execute just about all of them.

“I can run every route in the route tree,” said Cromartie, who also revealed that his coaches at Florida State had designs of using him at receiver before a knee injury derailed the plan.

This is silly to me. Let him work on the D and making sure he's living and breathing all the little nuances they are implementing. Help the younger guys like Bush and Allen out. Hang out with Landry and Bell. Working on WR packages is gimmicky and fruitless IMO. Not that I'm against gimmicks entirely, but come on. Plus if he gets injured we're screwed!

I was hoping this rumor would turn out true, then we'd have a thread where fans could project all their insecurities into worry about the team doing anything unorthodox like letting an athlete be an athlete.

Obviously, I think it's a good thing. I don't think it will interfere with his defensive responsibilities. I think he's easily the most athletic guy on the team, and if he can make an impact on offense or S/T then he should be used there. Period.

I hope the Jets WRs perform well enough that this isn't necessary. If they don't, it won't hurt to have this in the team's back pocket.

What makes this interesting is that Cromartie's main asset at WR, besides speed, would be his height. But the Jets seemed to have acquired several really tall receivers this offseason. So I am not sure how much they will need Cro at WR. Unless of course all of the other tall WRs end up being the suck.

He can barely catch the ball when trying to make an interception. Not so sure about this one.

Dude is pretty dynamic when he has it though. Does kinds remind me of "pop warner" were they make one of the better kids play ALL the skill positions. Plus maybe he needs a part time job to keep up with his child support payments?

What makes this interesting is that Cromartie's main asset at WR, besides speed, would be his height. But the Jets seemed to have acquired several really tall receivers this offseason. So I am not sure how much they will need Cro at WR. Unless of course all of the other tall WRs end up being the suck.

Cromartie’s athleticsm, wingspan and great hands make him an intriguing offensive option.

Cromartie, who lined up at wideout for five snaps last season (with no receptions and one rushing attempt), according to Pro Football Focus, is eager to be a situational two-way player.

This is not new folks. I wouldn't expect anything more than this being a wrinkle for which D coordinators have to make adjustments.

Exactly. This move makes a lot of sense when your tall receiver is Patrick Turner, not so much when you've just added not one, but two tall speed guys. Unless those guys just can't do the job, I don't see much use for Cromartie as a WR beyond the occasional hail mary.

I hope the Jets WRs perform well enough that this isn't necessary. If they don't, it won't hurt to have this in the team's back pocket.

This idea is fine if we are up by 30 points. Otherwise, at best, it would be a minor distraction to the opposing defense the first couple of time the Jets rolled it out.

Troy Brown, Champ Bailey and Neon Deon all dabbled on both sides of the ball. It's not going to be on a consistent basis, why not get the ball in the hands of our most dynamic athlete? Didn't they run a reverse with him last year? I'd be less worried about him running a few fly patterns than returning kicks. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised to see Mo Claiborne play some snaps at WR.

I don't see them using the "cro package" too often. I think it's just another backup plan they have in the works, and another way to use one guy for 2 positions.

.....he obviously knows more positions off the field than on the field tho with his homegrown football team :)

Cromartie is afraid to hit, so he certainly wont be a good reciever. He will be afraid to go over th middle, and if the ball is hung up, he's going to have what we used to call "allegator arms" and will lead to more interceptions. Terrible terrible idea.

Cromartie is afraid to hit, so he certainly wont be a good reciever. He will be afraid to go over th middle, and if the ball is hung up, he's going to have what we used to call "allegator arms" and will lead to more interceptions. Terrible terrible idea.

I'm assuming it's for jump ball, end of half/game situations. We used Marcus Coleman the same way back when Parcells and Groh were here.

I'm in favor of whatever can get Sanchez going to throw the deep ball already. I don't care if it takes Ducasse being sent on fly patterns. Whatever works, do it.

I think we're going to rely on Hill to be that guy way more than Cromartie. This seems like a rare occurrence.

“Kerley is a more of a slot receiver, he’s a slot guy,” Cromartie said. “Stephen Hill is a younger guy that can get down the field. I think, for me, I can run every single route in the route tree. I’m not going to take anything away from my ability, so when you ask me that question, I’m going to say, yes, I believe I’m one of the best receivers on the football team, next to Santonio Holmes.”

Confidence isn't something he lacks.

link

I can get the hate on Cro for his tackling, but his coverage? Really? I don't think Cro gets anywhere near enough credit for the season he just had.

Truthfully I just like to bitch, being optimistic about this team hurts to much. Athletically the guy should be the best corner in the league but I guess I can't fault him for not being Revis and the fact that nobody from LBer to Safetie on this team offers any help in coverage.

Truthfully I just like to bitch, being optimistic about this team hurts to much. Athletically the guy should be the best corner in the league but I guess I can't fault him for not being Revis and the fact that nobody from LBer to Safetie on this team offers any help in coverage.

Ha, fair enough.

Hey I got an Idea maybe learn to ****ing tackle before trying to be a 2 way player

We all wish he would tackle like Revis, but he gets paid the big bucks to cover people. I'd rather have Cromartie than some scrub who loves to hit people and can't cover.

We all wish he would tackle like Revis, but he gets paid the big bucks to cover people. I'd rather have Cromartie than some scrub who loves to hit people and can't cover.

yes sure you would until he pulls what he did aganist us when Shonn Greene had that 50 yard run vs The Chargers in the playoffs and Cromartie just watched him sail right by without even attempting a tackle. Sure I agree he can cover but he can be exploited as well and not just by running backs. I mean if he is so afraid of contact how is he going to play WR ? Will he just clear things out ? Run deep routes ? He certainly is not going to run slants.

If you ask me putting Cromartie anywhere near the offense is ridiculous just like last year when they had him receive a punt, I was sitting there shaking my head and sure enough he botched it. Scary we have 2 WR's on this team with 4.3 speed who know how to play offense and will have the chance at being explosive so why the Cromartie project ? Just more dumb coming from the Jets .

When Idiots like Mike Lombardi are laughing at you, you know you got some real troubles.

Archived