mafia fantasy football

StraightCash

Alright, so I'm curious about some opinions here for a week one lineup. In my one league, I've known since my draft that my WR situation is a bit of an issue, and now I've got injuries to boot, which leaves me currently set to play Mike Williams as my #2 WR this week, which you can imagine I'm less than pleased with. So I'm wondering if people think I should just go with that play, or grab a FA to plug in this week, with Brandon LaFell being the main option that caught my eye. A couple of other possibilities would be guys who play for crappy offenses but are pretty much their team's only passing option with Greg Little and Davone Bess.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alright, so I'm curious about some opinions here for a week one lineup. In my one league, I've known since my draft that my WR situation is a bit of an issue, and now I've got injuries to boot, which leaves me currently set to play Mike Williams as my #2 WR this week, which you can imagine I'm less than pleased with. So I'm wondering if people think I should just go with that play, or grab a FA to plug in this week, with Brandon LaFell being the main option that caught my eye. A couple of other possibilities would be guys who play for crappy offenses but are pretty much their team's only passing option with Greg Little and Davone Bess.

I REALLY like LaFell, particularly with Steve Smith a little banged up/old. Major upside there, I'd go with him.

At your # 2 WR position, you can afford to avoid the "safe" play and go with a risky pick. Its the same reason I'm starting Titus Young Week 1 in my # 2 WR slot in my money league.

I REALLY like LaFell, particularly with Steve Smith a little banged up/old. Major upside there, I'd go with him.

At your # 2 WR position, you can afford to avoid the "safe" play and go with a risky pick. Its the same reason I'm starting Titus Young Week 1 in my # 2 WR slot in my money league.

Yeah, that's the direction I'm leaning as well, but was curious what others thought.

Also, I posted this in the FF forum, but I'll ask you guys here as well. Should I go with Peyton Manning vs. PIT or RG3 @ New Orleans at QB?

I'd personally go with Manning (I'm starting him in one of my leagues). The Steelers defense isn't quite as scary to play a QB against as it used to be, and the Broncos have the whole Mile High thing working in their favor. While RG3 could be helped with some rushing yards, NO is exceptional at home and definitely a tough place to start off for a rookie QB.

NO is exceptional at home

The numbers don't play that out though for opposing fantasy QB's. The only time they held an opposing QB in check at home last year was whoever was starting for Indy in Week 7. And this year, their defense is decimated. Plus, I figure the Saints will get a nice lead on the Redskins and force Griffin to throw, throw, throw some more. The Saints should win big but Griffin has the chance to carve out a very nice fantasy day.

I think there's more upside for starting Griffin but Manning would probably be the safer play. Then again, neither played pro football in 2011 and both are working with unfamiliar offenses, so I guess there's risk either way.

The numbers don't play that out though for opposing fantasy QB's. The only time they held an opposing QB in check at home last year was whoever was starting for Indy in Week 7. And this year, their defense is decimated. Plus, I figure the Saints will get a nice lead on the Redskins and force Griffin to throw, throw, throw some more. The Saints should win big but Griffin has the chance to carve out a very nice fantasy day.

I think there's more upside for starting Griffin but Manning would probably be the safer play. Then again, neither played pro football in 2011 and both are working with unfamiliar offenses, so I guess there's risk either way.

Yeah, definitely fair points, although I would say it comes down to what you said at the end there. Definitely risk in both of them, with plenty of upside as well. That said, if it were me, I'd feel much more confident in someone who's one of the best to ever play the position than a rookie in his very first game. Consider that a very good day for a rookie is probably on par with an average day for a top NFL starter, where as a very good day for Manning is a whole different story. Outside of Cam Newton last year, even those who have played well their rookie years haven't exactly started off with top QB type numbers.

Yeah, definitely fair points, although I would say it comes down to what you said at the end there. Definitely risk in both of them, with plenty of upside as well. That said, if it were me, I'd feel much more confident in someone who's one of the best to ever play the position than a rookie in his very first game. Consider that a very good day for a rookie is probably on par with an average day for a top NFL starter, where as a very good day for Manning is a whole different story. Outside of Cam Newton last year, even those who have played well their rookie years haven't exactly started off with top QB type numbers.

Yeah, if it weren't for the respective matchups, this wouldn't even be a debate and Manning would be in there. I can afford a little bit of risk, even at QB, because I'm confident in my RB trio (Chris Johnson, Matt Forte, Fred Jackson) and TE (Jimmy Graham) to help me out if whoever I choose at QB fails.

Next week, for instance, Peyton is a lock to start for me regardless of what RG3 does. Manning will be playing in his ONLY dome game of the year (@ Atlanta).

One of Sanchez best games was his very first. LOL (I know this is irrelevant, just makes me laugh.)

Should have seen this coming.

Maybe, but did anyone know for sure who Dallas' # 3 WR would be around the time drafts were going on? It's easy to say that the 3rd WR for Dallas will have success, but you had to know who the beneficiary of that system will be first. I guess all signs pointed to Ogletree by the 4th preseason game but it wasn't clear-cut.

In any case, don't forget that the Giants were without Amukamura and, later in the game, Coe. Not to mention, once Witten gets healthy, Ogletree's targets will drop considerably.

Wasn't it stupid 80 who said the Cowboys offense "scared him" and the dumb Ape who questioned my drafting ability with Romo and Austin...

tumblr_lqtwspJ5wt1qhobcoo1_250.gif

Relax taco, I'm pretty sure YOU could have played CB for the Giants and done better tonite. With just 1 game in the books I'm going to continue to say you're the idiot who drafted Trent Richardson first round as much as I please.

Relax taco, I'm pretty sure YOU could have played CB for the Giants and done better tonite. With just 1 game in the books I'm going to continue to say you're the idiot who drafted Trent Richardson first round as much as I please.

Trent Richardson will be a top 8 fantasy RB when it's all said and done. You act like with the 12th pick I chose him over Foster, Rice, and Mccoy.

True bell cow RB's are being phased out in todays NFL and I got one. I am a multiple time fantasy football champion! treat me with the respect I deserve.

I win.. again.

Trent Richardson will be a top 8 fantasy RB when it's all said and done. You act like with the 12th pick I chose him over Foster, Rice, and Mccoy.

True bell cow RB's are being phased out in todays NFL and I got one. I am a multiple time fantasy football champion! treat me with the respect I deserve.

I win.. again.

Hahaha... I win championships like I take poops. I do it all the time, and I don't really feel like it's something I have to tell everyone about on a regular basis.

Wasn't it stupid 80 who said the Cowboys offense "scared him" and the dumb Ape who questioned my drafting ability with Romo and Austin...

tumblr_lqtwspJ5wt1qhobcoo1_250.gif

Oh, and Romo is fine - it's Austin I wanted to no part of, because I read his injury was a chronic problem. Which means while he looked good last night, it might actually be a good time to sell high.

Hahaha... I win championships like I take poops. I do it all the time, and I don't really feel like it's something I have to tell everyone about on a regular basis.

you're such an egomanical windbag I can see you playing in a "league" where you're the manager of all 12 teams. you probably run through a complete draft using different strategies depending on where you're picking. you may even congratulate yourself on picks you deem to be steals.

you're such an egomanical windbag I can see you playing in a "league" where you're the manager of all 12 teams. you probably run through a complete draft using different strategies depending on where you're picking. you may even congratulate yourself on picks you deem to be steals.

Actually the biggest cupcake league I've joined in years was the one with you guys last year. I give you an "A" for the trolling effort here though.

1 - Maurice Jones-Drew, Jac RB

2 - Jamaal Charles, KC RB

3 - Roddy White, Atl WR

4 - Steven Jackson, StL RB

5 - Darren Sproles, NO RB

6 - Tony Romo, Dal QB

7 - Ben Roethlisberger, Pit QB

8 - Denarius Moore, Oak WR

9 - Jason Witten, Dal TE

10 - Jonathan Stewart, Car RB

11 - Toby Gerhart, Min RB

12 - Mike Williams, TB WR

13 - Bears D/ST D/ST

14 - Jared Cook, Ten TE

15 - Randall Cobb, GB WR

16 - Jason Hanson, Det K

On a different note, for the league which I have the above team, I've been getting bombarded with trade requests for a RB, with everyone thinking they can take advantage of my weakness at WR. With MJD still in the process of coming back, I'm in no particular rush, but beyond that, these offers are a joke. Everyone is shooting for one of my top 3 RBs while offering me 2nd tier (at best) WR options in return. Probably the only offer of them all that offered a legit potential top WR was MJD for Andre Johnson but given AJ's injury issues, that's hardly a direction I'm interested in.

If that's how your league's typically work, I wouldn't be so proud of those championships.

no.. the leagues I'm in everyone pays up front and prize money is distributed accordingly.

In the JN league, 5 out of 12 pay and the ones who didn't have the unmitigated gall to bring up not cashing out.

I'm not mad about it.. I think it's funny.

no.. the leagues I'm in everyone pays up front and prize money is distributed accordingly.

In the JN league, 5 out of 12 pay and the ones who didn't have the unmitigated gall to bring up not cashing out.

I'm not mad about it.. I think it's funny.

Yeah, okay.

Archived