Eric Smith – Injury Not Serious

Maxman

by Phil Sullivan on August 10, 2012

New York Jets safety Eric Smith was injured in the Jets first preseason game tonight against the Cincinnati Bengals. Rex Ryan told the media during his post game press conference that it is a hip and knee injury. He had an XRay, which was negative, so Eric Smith is now listed as day-to-day.

bc_normal.jpg
Brian Costello @
BrianCoz

X-Rays negative on Eric Smith
#
nyj

10 Aug 12

headshot_Manish_Mehta_normal.jpg
Manish Mehta @
MMehtaNYDN

Eric Smith is actually day to day after X-rays on hip ad knee were negative, team says

10 Aug 12

And somewhere in the cyberverse Bleedin Green weeps.

I said it the moment it happened in the game thread, I really didn't want the guy to be hurt. I mean come on, I'm not that big of a douche. I was still kind of hoping they'd rush him onto IR before even bothering with the x-rays though. In that case everyone would have won: he's healthy, he still gets paid, and we don't have to watch him trip and fall all over the field for the rest of the season.

I said it the moment it happened in the game thread, I really didn't want the guy to be hurt. I mean come on, I'm not that big of a douche. I was still kind of hoping they'd rush him onto IR before even bothering with the x-rays though. In that case everyone would have won: he's healthy, he still gets paid, and we don't have to watch him trip and fall all over the field for the rest of the season.

It's good news for our special teams that's for sure. Eric Smith may niot be the guy we want starting, but as a ST player and depth he's really an asset in my opinion.

Smith is not as essential to the defense as he is to the special teams. He's versatile as a punt protecter. The Jets need him, especially if the o-line is this bad going forward. Sanchez won't survive long and then Tebow will be in at QB, also not punt protecting.

Smith is a hard hitter and not bad as depth. I still remember that time he laid out Welker so hard that he smacked the decal off his helmet. Or in 2008, that hit he put on Boldin (unfortunately, Boldin was badly injured).

In the playoffs against the Pats he was the one that made the tackle on the fake punt. He was also the guy who recovered the last onsides kick by the Pats to seal the game for us.

Smith is not as essential to the defense as he is to the special teams. He's versatile as a punt protecter. The Jets need him, especially if the o-line is this bad going forward. Sanchez won't survive long and then Tebow will be in at QB, also not punt protecting.

Man, you said it!

I can't help but wonder if this will REALLY open the door for another safety to step up. Yeremiah Bell or Antonio Allen (the rookie) must step up. Eric was a liability in coverage but he was a good ST'er. This will be a wild ride this year, at least in that secondary for sure.

Archived