Sanchez is a top 10 QB

ECURB

According to Bart Scott...

http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?storyId=8272637

CORTLAND, N.Y. -- Mark Sanchez might be the second-most popular quarterback on his own team, but his teammates expect him to be among the 10 best in the league.

Undaunted by Tebowmania, the New York Jets' starter has impressed in training camp, raising the expectation level in the locker room. On Wednesday, defensive leaders Bart Scott and Darrelle Revis spoke glowingly of Sanchez, both saying they anticipate a big year.

“ It's Year 4, and Year 4 is when the game slows down for you ... Last year, you saw Joe Flacco take the next step in his fourth year and you could see Mark do the same. ” -- Bart Scott

They expect him "to take that next step, to be one of the top 10 quarterbacks in the league," Scott said. "It's Year 4, and Year 4 is when the game slows down for you ... Last year, you saw Joe Flacco take the next step in his fourth year and you could see Mark do the same."

Revis echoed that sentiment.

"The quarterback needs to take us there, and we're counting on Mark to do that," he said. "Everybody has to do their job, but if we lose, it falls on Mark. If we win, it falls on Mark. The biggest thing is, we're very confident in Mark and we know he can lead us. He's done it in the past, and we're counting on him. We're counting on him."

Sanchez's poor finish last season, coupled with the arrival of Tim Tebow, spawned many questions about his psyche, whether he'd be able to handle the enormous pressure.

The real test won't come until the regular season, but so far, Sanchez has responded favorably. Privately, some within the organization believe he's showing greater maturity than in the past. His teammates sense it in the huddle and in the locker room.

"He carries himself with more confidence," tight end Dustin Keller said. "Not that he wasn't confident before, but you can see he knows he's playing good."

“ Everybody has to do their job, but if we lose, it falls on Mark. If we win, it falls on Mark. The biggest thing is, we're very confident in Mark and we know he can lead us. ” -- Darrelle Revis

Sanchez has a long way to go to become a top-10 quarterback, at least as far as quarterback ratings go. He posted a career-best 78.5 rating last year but that was 23rd overall among NFL quarterbacks. By QBR metrics he was even worse, as his 33.6 Total QBR was the 30th best out of 34 quarterbacks ranked by ESPN.

Rex Ryan stopped short of endorsing Scott's top-10 prediction, saying, "I don't want to get into that." But he called Sanchez a "proven winner. He has elevated his game and I think his teammates recognize that ... I think his confidence is higher than I've ever seen it."

Sanchez's confidence, and stature in the locker room, took a hit at the end of last season, when the Jets dropped three straight and missed the playoffs for the first time in the Sanchez/Ryan era. Privately, some players questioned his leadership.

The Jets tried to rebuild Sanchez by giving him a three-year, $40.5 million contract extension, through 2016, but they undercut him by trading for Tebow -- at least that was the perception.

Scott said Sanchez "wants to prove the doubters wrong." He also complimented the fourth-year quarterback for improving his on-field demeanor.

"I always thought he overreacted too much to bad plays," Scott said. "You look at Eli [Manning]. He has the ultimate poker face. His happy face, his sad face and his excited face are all the same. I think that's one of his strengths. If defenses see they're getting to you, it's only going to pile on."

The 50 Greatest Jets Drawn from more than five decades of history, ESPN New York presents its 50 Greatest Jets. Top 50 Rank 'Em

Sanchez's career arc has been compared to that of Manning, who won his first Super Bowl in his fourth year. Sanchez recently admitted that he studied Manning's career, noting that his crosstown counterpart overcame major struggles before reaching the pinnacle.

On Saturday night, Sanchez and Manning will be at MetLife Stadium, facing each other in the preseason. According to the Jets, the Giants will see a different quarterback than the one who completed only 30 of 59 passes, with two interceptions, last Christmas Eve -- a 29-14 Jets loss.

Revis said Sanchez has improved his placement on deep balls. Coaches have lauded him for the way he has grasped Tony Sparano's system, and his ability to make checks at the line of scrimmage.

"I think everybody has seen a difference in how he walks, how he handles it if he throws a bad ball, how he carries himself," Scott said. "Mark's always been a guy that you can see his emotions and how he's feeling about himself by his facial expressions. I think now he carries himself upright and he sticks out that chest like a peacock."

That's what you have to do when there's a target on your back.

Discuss

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"He carries himself with more confidence," tight end Dustin Keller said. "Not that he wasn't confident before, but you can see he knows he's playing good."

That's good, because no one else knows that. I'm sure I don't know that!

Sanchez has a long way to go to become a top-10 quarterback, at least as far as quarterback ratings go. He posted a career-best 78.5 rating last year but that was 23rd overall among NFL quarterbacks. By QBR metrics he was even worse, as his 33.6 Total QBR was the 30th best out of 34 quarterbacks ranked by ESPN.

I could go all my life without ever again hearing about ESPN's stupid stat that they created on their own and now pass off as if it means something.

Revis said Sanchez has improved his placement on deep balls.

Really? Has anyone reported that??? It certainly wasn't the case in the 1st quarter of pre-season game 1.

Eli

Peyton

Brees

Roethlesburger

Rodgers

Brady

Stafford

Vick

Schaub

Flacco

Newton

Rivers

Ryan

Tebow

this is a list of who is CLEARLY better than the Sanchize.

then we have some guys who MAY BE better right now:

Jay Cutler

RG3

Tony Romo

Tommy Maddix

The Crusher

Ryan Fitzpatrick

sh*t! sh*t! sh*t! I was hoping this was an irrational defense of our starting QB by ecurB. THAT is wha this board needs right now! A return to the Golden Age!

One of the leading lights of the Church of Penningtology defend Sanchez with the devout fervour he defended his Messiah? Did you really thing that was going to happen? :D

Eli

Peyton

Brees

Roethlesburger

Rodgers

Brady

Stafford

Vick

Schaub

Flacco

Newton

Rivers

Ryan

Tebow

Jay Cutler

RG3

Tony Romo

Tommy Maddix

The Crusher

Ryan Fitzpatrick

Cutler is definitely better.

I hope he does take that next step, but the amount of pressure this kid feels must be unreal.

It's not like at $13 million per he didn't already know that. Take the cash, deal with the pressure.

There seem to be a lot of 4-year comparisons because Eli Manning won the Super Bowl in year 4. on't think it has any real value behind both playing in the same stadium; utterly negligible and meaningless.

Eli

Peyton

Brees

Roethlesburger

Rodgers

Brady

Stafford

Vick

Schaub

Flacco

Newton

Rivers

Ryan

Tebow

Jay Cutler

RG3

Tony Romo

Tommy Maddix

The Crusher

Ryan Fitzpatrick

Seriously Flacco plus a couple of others guys I don't think Matt Ice cuts it or the walking medical cart Matt Scrub..

Mark needs a Right Tackle!!!!!!

Like to see these guys work behind our line, or throw the ball to the wideouts we fielded last year. I'm not saying Mark is top Ten, but he's not bottom Five either as the hate mob would have you believe..

It's not like at $13 million per he didn't already know that. Take the cash, deal with the pressure.

There seem to be a lot of 4-year comparisons because Eli Manning won the Super Bowl in year 4. on't think it has any real value behind both playing in the same stadium; utterly negligible and meaningless.

He wouldn't be the second QB to figure it out in his fourth year. Drew Brees is the other common example. Alex Smith got it together in his fifth year.

This year is probably Sanchez' last real chance on the Jets. He's shown something, but not enough. He has it tough if he's going to break thru this season with a new OC, rookie starting WR, and the Tebow circus. It's asking a lot, but he has no choice. Not if he wants to stay here.

If he can achieve some modest statistical goals - 60% comp, 7 yards/att, 2:1 TD:int ratio - he can stave off Tebow and buy himself another year. He's really not that far away.

Eli

Peyton

Brees

Roethlesburger

Rodgers

Brady

Stafford

Vick

Schaub

Flacco

Newton

Rivers

Ryan

Tebow

Jay Cutler

RG3

Tony Romo

Tommy Maddix

The Crusher

Ryan Fitzpatrick

Dude, Tebow can't hit the broadside of a barn.

He wouldn't be the second QB to figure it out in his fourth year. Drew Brees is the other common example. Alex Smith got it together in his fifth year.

This year is probably Sanchez' last real chance on the Jets. He's shown something, but not enough. He has it tough if he's going to break thru this season with a new OC, rookie starting WR, and the Tebow circus. It's asking a lot, but he has no choice. Not if he wants to stay here.

If he can achieve some modest statistical goals - 60% comp, 7 yards/att, 2:1 TD:int ratio - he can stave off Tebow and buy himself another year. He's really not that far away.

Actually, Alex Smith didn't get it together until his 7th season and even that is debatable.

One of the leading lights of the Church of Penningtology defend Sanchez with the devout fervour he defended his Messiah? Did you really thing that was going to happen? :biggrin:

[

Lightning doesn't strike twice?

Actually, Alex Smith didn't get it together until his 7th season and even that is debatable.

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? .... Leave him alone. He's on a roll.

Yep he definately knows it, i just couldn't imagine the weight on his shoulders

“ It's Year 4, and Year 4 is when the game slows down for you ... Last year, you saw Joe Flacco take the next step in his fourth year and you could see Mark do the same. ” -- Bart Scott

So, this is what we're hoping for? For him to "take the next step".... like Joe Flacco?

Oh good.

So, this is what we're hoping for? For him to "take the next step".... like Joe Flacco?

Oh good.

What? You don't want to see a 5% reduction in completion percentage, less yards, 5 less TDs and 2 more INTs? Sanchez would be just over 50% completions, with 3,400 yards, 21 TDs and 20 INTs. I'd be psyched! I'll take the 12-4 though.

The thread title is very misleading. Bart Scott is saying that for this team to win, Sanchez needs to play like a top 10 QB and entering his 4th season in the league he expects him to be able to do it. He's not saying that anything he has done up until now makes him a top 10 QB, in fact he is implying that Sanchez has not been a top 10 QB to date.

I hate to say this and I know it was preseason game and all so you cna't put a lot of stock in to it, but Tebow looked a lot better than Sanchez in game 1 vs. the Bengals.

He did. While he didn't make many plays with his arm (and Stephen Hill dropped a wide open 3rd down conversion), at least he made some with his legs.

I want to see Mark do something in this upcoming game... I've been very patient with him but he has to show something soon.

Archived