Sanchez is a top 10 QB

ECURB

NY Jets leader Mark Sanchez feels he can be top-10 NFL quarterback this season

'Oh sure,' Sanchez said. 'You gotta think that. You gotta play like that.'

BY SETH WALDER / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

FRIDAY, AUGUST 17, 2012, 2:06 AM

CORTLAND — A year ago, Eli Manning proclaimed himself a top-five quarterback in the NFL. He took heat from all directions for putting himself at a level he had previously not reached.

On the final day of Jets training camp in Cortland, Mark Sanchez made a similar proclamation. When asked if he could be a top 10 NFL QB, Sanchez said he thought he could reach that mark.

“Oh sure,” Sanchez said. “You gotta think that. You gotta play like that.”

But that proclamation paled in comparison to the fourth-year quarterback’s boldest statement Thursday, one that was simple and sufficient: “This is my huddle.”

Said Sanchez: “I think one of the things I felt more comfortable doing, especially with the younger wideout group, is getting on those guys,” the quarterback said. “And letting them know when you come in the huddle, not to be selfish here, but this is my huddle. Don’t talk. Name your position quickly and let’s go get lined up.”

This is the sort of comment that prompted linebacker Bart Scott — who said earlier in the week he wanted to see Sanchez be a top 10 QB — to say Sanchez now sticks his chest out like a peacock.

Darrelle Revis added Wednesday, “If we lose, it falls on Mark. If we win, it falls on Mark.”

Sanchez views that as a compliment these days.

“That’s a veteran comment, all the way,” said Sanchez of Revis’ remarks. “Rex (Ryan) and myself . . . if you Google our names, we’re the only ones with records. Darrelle Revis is one of the best cornerbacks ever, but they don’t have a win-loss record. It’s no slight on Darrelle, it’s just the position we play.”

Now, in his fourth season — the year Manning won his first Super Bowl — Sanchez embraces the pressure. He wants the team’s weight sitting on his shoulders.

“It’s my job to deliver it, be the triggerman, be what this team needs,” Sanchez said. “I’m ready to do that.”

With his Top 10 QB comments, Sanchez didn’t quite give himself the ringing endorsement that Manning provided a year ago, but at least it was in the same ballpark. The answer came a day after Scott said he wanted to see Sanchez take that next step and reach that top 10 level.

Manning backed it up. Whether Sanchez does remains to be seen.

Of course, Sanchez won’t need to duplicate Manning’s numbers (5,000 yards and 29 touchdowns) from last season but to reach his goal he’ll certainly have to be better than his career 55:51 touchdown-to-interception ratio.

Sanchez’s teammates say they’ve noticed a difference this offseason in the way he carries himself and leads the team; the QB says that has been a conscious decision.

“If (you) start pouting, put your head down in practice, it’s going to happen in MetLife Stadium or somewhere on the road,” said Sanchez.

“Number one I think his whole demeanor is all about, well, we’ll get you,” said Ryan. “We might have had a bad play here but we’re going to come back and find a way to get you.”

Now when he makes a mistake, Sanchez said, he looks away, gathers himself, and then gets right back at it.

When asked if he aspired to Manning’s emotional temperament, Sanchez said he didn’t necessarily agree that the Giants’ quarterback shows no emotion on the field. No matter what Manning does, Sanchez said, he’ll be given a pass because he won the Super Bowl twice. For Sanchez, it’s a different story.

“You go 8-8, you get mad and you show a little emotion on TV, and people go, ‘Oh, he’s a head case,’ ” Sanchez said. “It’s natural to have a little bit of emotion out there. I’m not a robot.”

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Said Sanchez: “I think one of the things I felt more comfortable doing, especially with the younger wideout group, is getting on those guys,” the quarterback said. “And letting them know when you come in the huddle, not to be selfish here, but this is my huddle. Don’t talk. Name your position quickly and let’s go get lined up.”

It's easy to talk the talk when the primo diva WR of the bunch is on the sidelines but the real test will come when Holmes returns to the line up and the games count.

Sanchez addressing his pouting. Rex 2.0. That maturation process is in effect and the Jets will be the beneficiaries.

FWIW - Mark Sanchez had more TD's than Eli Manning last season. SO TAKE THAT!!!

All you had to do was watch the first preseason game to tell who the leader of this team is. When Tebow was pouting on the sidelines after throwing his pick, Sanchez was the guy consoling him and telling him to shake it off.

All you had to do was watch the first preseason game to tell who the leader of this team is. When Tebow was pouting on the sidelines after throwing his pick, Sanchez was the guy consoling him and telling him to shake it off.

Well sure, Sanchez knows that feeling all too well.

That's exactly what Th0mas did. His selective sample just happened to fit the perception of how the whole year went.

What? I referred to Sanchez's "stats" in 11 on 11's in camp, which Bart was apparently using as the barometer in deciding that Sanchez was a Top Ten QB.

It's good to know Sanchez is using his experience to help others.

Sanchez was on par with Eli for that game... and Eli for his career...

Yet some fools here actually think he sucks and want Teblow to play?

pfft

Is there a football forum where they don't let in knuckleheads?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived