My halfhearted attempt to remain even remotely optimistic about the Jets' offense

slats

1.) This is a new offense. No surprise that it looks rough two preseason games in.

2.) Holmes and Kerley returning to the lineup. Coming into camp, I expected Patrick Turner to be cut. Instead, he's starting.

3.) Gameplanning. So far, the Jets haven't done it.

4.) Wildcat, baby! Tebow isn't going to start anytime soon, but he'll see the field a lot in the wildcat. Those 3rd and 4th down short yardage abortions will be replaced by the anti-abortion backup.

5.) Sanchez has completed over 75% of his passes in two starts. This has been one of his issues, and this shows improvement. Hey, it's something.

Yeah, that's about it. Hopefully with this defense, that'll be enough.

1.) This is a new offense. No surprise that it looks rough two preseason games in.

2.) Holmes and Kerley returning to the lineup. Coming into camp, I expected Patrick Turner to be cut. Instead, he's starting.

4.) Wildcat, baby! Tebow isn't going to start anytime soon, but he'll see the field a lot in the wildcat. Those 3rd and 4th down short yardage abortions will be replaced by the anti-abortion backup.

5.) Sanchez has completed over 75% of his passes in two starts. This has been one of his issues, and this shows improvement. Hey, it's something.

Absolutely agree. Tebow also threw the ball surprisingly well on that first drive with some tight spirals into small windows. That is different than he looked last year and will certainly make the wildcat more effective. In the regular season I think Sparano will take the chains off Sanchez and let him throw on less obvious passing downs so he isn't getting killed by the rush and he'll get it down field more. This team doesn't have to score like the Saints to win with Rex's defense. 10-6 with our schedule is definitely doable.

they started the game with run, run pass. I have to think they throw it on 1st dowm more in a real game

keller has been invisible, yet I hear he had a great camp. he's under wraps

no timcat yet

no holmes or kerley

hill plays with the 2's but looks like he belongs in the NFL.

in a real game they call more draws, screens and run at JPP. have you noticed the screens are going to the HB not the WR ? I like that a lot

Our offensive line sucks, but Sanchez still holds the ball too long at times. I think you can see him protecting the ball better on sacks and he's yet to make the dumb throw right at a defender or into double coverage so there's that. His pick six was just a poor throw but it wasn't a horrible decision i don't think.

That being said they have to have an intermediate or long passing game. We can't just dink and dunk because a defense will just sit on that stuff. The problem is our offensive line is horrible. And by that, i really mean Hunter is like 75% of the problem.

, i really mean Hunter is like 75% of the problem.

hunter whiffing, sanchez holding, and nobody getting open is not a good formula. add to that no game plan for chipping or running the usual "rush busters" and you get crabby fans

but there isn't much you can do with hunter. nobody cuts starting caliber OT's

the fact that this is the 2nd straight season he jets have over rated him points to the real culprit

Slats I like your optimism but I truly believe Tebow will start a game before week 8 and by the end of the season we will be shopping them both at some crazy discount just to get them off the books and start fresh. There will be cries for heads in the FO, SOJ will be back in fashion and the economy will totally plummet.

The inability to convert short yardage last night changed the whole complexion of that game. I think we will be seeing a lot of Wildcat in those situations which will improve the conversion rate.

We are supposed to be a ground and pound football team and we could not even move the Smaller Giants DL off the ball to gain 1 yard. We cant eve do what our Coach claims is our Bread and Butter. Not only cant we pass the football we cant run it either

Slats I like your optimism but I truly believe Tebow will start a game before week 8 and by the end of the season we will be shopping them both at some crazy discount just to get them off the books and start fresh. There will be cries for heads in the FO, SOJ will be back in fashion and the economy will totally plummet.

WHOA, WHOA!!! Why you gotta bring the economy into this?!?!?!?!?!

Our offensive line sucks, but Sanchez still holds the ball too long at times. I think you can see him protecting the ball better on sacks and he's yet to make the dumb throw right at a defender or into double coverage so there's that. His pick six was just a poor throw but it wasn't a horrible decision i don't think.

That being said they have to have an intermediate or long passing game. We can't just dink and dunk because a defense will just sit on that stuff. The problem is our offensive line is horrible. And by that, i really mean Hunter is like 75% of the problem.

Its hard to see anything promising about this offense. But, I do wonder what it would look like, healthy, and with a different RT and QB. lol

The bold. I noticed it as well. I can only hope there is in fact something good to read into there... made me almost puke last night watching him throw yet another pick-6.

All your other points are relevant here too. I'll worry in November. For now, I'm going to enjoy the summer.

Regarding #5 - Good Point with the accuracy. A marked improvement in completion %.

That may be a function of an abysmal 4.45 yds per attempt so far in 2 preseason games. Even a terrible NFL QB should be able to complete a majority of passes if they are of the 4 or 5 yard variety. His completion % is inflated right now.

Regarding #5 - Good Point with the accuracy. A marked improvement in completion %.

That may be a function of an abysmal 4.45 yds per attempt so far in 2 preseason games. Even a terrible NFL QB should be able to complete a majority of passes if they are of the 4 or 5 yard variety. His completion % is inflated right now.

Gabbert finished last in the league with a 5.1 in 2011. Looks like Sanchez learned a lot from Pennington.

Thats exactly what his stat line looks like and the pick six...was a page right out of Pennington's book.

Oh snap. Look what I posted the other day:

"Mark, pssst, c'mere. Yeah. Listen, you wanna keep your job? Get that completion percentage up. People looooooove completion percentage. You go 9 for 10, it doesn't matter how many yards it's for--people are gonna talk about that 9 for 10, man. Let the other guy throw it down the field. That's low percentage. You wanna be high percentage. You feel me?"

worried we're falling into the herm trap - oline starting to show signs of neglect - wish it had been addressed this offseason but next year it absolutely must be our top focus. still hoping we can find some vet talent cut as cap casualties...

We are supposed to be a ground and pound football team and we could not even move the Smaller Giants DL off the ball to gain 1 yard. We cant eve do what our Coach claims is our Bread and Butter. Not only cant we pass the football we cant run it either

Teams don't convert regularly when they hand the ball to John Conner with a yard of run up to gain speed. Those things won't happen when the bright lights are on.

Teams don't convert regularly when they hand the ball to John Conner with a yard of run up to gain speed. Those things won't happen when the bright lights are on.

Do you think the bright lights were not on for Rex last night ? You know how competitive the guy is and you know how much these 2 teams have grown to hate one another. If you cant win the little battles during a game like thrid and 1 and 4th and 1 and your supposed to be a Ground and Pound football team then you have major problems. Like I said the Giants field one of the smaller DLines in the NFL those are the type of lines we need to attack with the running game and wear them down so they cant rush the passer. Only problem is not one team in this league is scared of any part of our offense. They all play us striaght up because we are no threat at any level. I mean if we had a dangerous back like a MJD or a Matt Forte or a Chris Johnson teams would have to respect that threat. What do the Jets have ? It used to be our WR corps was a disaster now it seems we cant run the ball either. Im not sure what this team is going to do but I cant belive for one single second the first half of this football game did not mean a hell of a lot to Rex Ryan, you know it did and what you saw was a complete and utter breakdown in just about every phase of the Offense. yeah it starts with Offensive line and yes that effects the QB but thst still no excuse to throw a moronic pick six. If anything if Sanchez was not sure if the play then throw the damn ball into the ground and at least preserve the chance at a field goal.

Not only that but for much of the first half I saw Manning with a lot of time where was the pass rush ?

Archived