Cimini: Rapid Reaction

stoicsentry

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/14635/rapid-reaction-2

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- The preseason can't end soon enough for the New York Jets. They became the first team in 35 years to go without a touchdown in its first three preseason games, and they lost TE Dustin Keller (hamstring) and LB David Harris (ankle) to injuries. Oh, yes, and they dropped to 0-3, losing to the Carolina Panthers 17-12 Sunday night at MetLife Stadium.

car.gifnyj.gifWoe is O: In their final tune-up for the regular season, the Mark Sanchez-led starting unit stunk -- again. It's time to be concerned. Get this: Seven possessions, no touchdowns. The regulars ended the preseason with zero touchdowns in 15 possessions -- Jason Bay-like numbers. They were sloppy, undisciplined and unorganized. There was an interception on a pass that bounced off the hands of rookie WR Stephen Hill, a senseless personal foul on LG Matt Slauson that ruined a scoring chance, and lousy clock management at the end of the first half. Santonio Holmes' return didn't provide a spark. You hate to overreact to preseason results, but the Jets did absolutely nothing in the preseason to make you think they're heading in the right direction under new offensive coordinator Tony Sparano. According to NBC, the 1977 Atlanta Falcons were the last team that failed to score a touchdown in its first three preseason games.

Tebow chant: Tim Tebow, who made an earlier-than-expected appearance (5:38 left in the third quarter), drew the biggest cheer of the night with a wild and crazy, 20-yard scramble in the fourth quarter. Tebow fired up the sleepy crowd, jumping to his feet and giving the "first down" signal. Quarterback controversy? Yeah, right. Moments later, Tebow threw a mind-boggling interception into triple coverage.

Tight-end issues: Keller is Sanchez's favorite target, arguably the most reliable weapon on offense -- and now his status for Week 1 is up in the air. What else can go wrong? The Jets also lost the versatile H-back Josh Baker to a potentially serious knee injury, meaning their tight-end depth chart, sans Keller, looks like this -- Jeff Cumberland (concussion), Dedrick Epps and former rugby player Hayden Smith. If Keller's injury is long-term, it will be a big blow to Sanchez, who relies on him in the underneath and intermediate zones.

Silver lining: The Jets managed to plug one leak. Newly installed RT Austin Howard locked up the starting job with a terrific performance. He didn't allow any sacks, and he was often isolated against the Panthers' best pass rusher, Charles Johnson. Howard handled the outside rush, showing nice footwork and lateral agility. The man he replaced, Wayne Hunter, was used on 10 snaps with the starters as an extra lineman/jumbo tight end. Get used to that look; you'll see it a lot. Hunter's role could increase if Keller's injury is serious.

Tone Time: Holmes made his preseason debut, reuniting with Sanchez for the first time since their celebrated feud last season. Unofficially, Holmes participated in 15 plays. He was targeted three times, catching an 8-yard slant but dropping another. By the way, NBC sideline reporter Michele Tafoya, shedding new light on the Sanchez-Holmes relationship, said former Jet LaDainian Tomlinson told her Saturday night that the two players didn't talk to each other for the last 13 games of last season.

Bring back Plax? The Jets failed to score a touchdown on three trips to the red zone, bringing their preseason tally to 0-for-5. Mind you, they were No. 1 in red-zone efficiency last season. What's missing? Do they miss WR Plaxico Burress more than they're willing to admit? At 6-foot-4, Hill has the size to be a weapon in the red zone, but he has a lot to learn. Burress still is a free agent. If the Jets sign him, it would be sheer desperation. Going into camp, they were dead-set against bringing him back. They don't think he can run anymore and they're worried how a Burress-Holmes reunion would affect the young receivers from an attitude standpoint.

What's ahead: It's a quick turnaround for the Jets, who close the preseason Thursday night in Philadelphia.

So, Cimini writes an entire "reaction" article to the game, covering only one side of the football. What the...?

Tone Time: Holmes made his preseason debut, reuniting with Sanchez for the first time since their celebrated feud last season. Unofficially, Holmes participated in 15 plays. He was targeted three times, catching an 8-yard slant but dropping another. By the way, NBC sideline reporter Michele Tafoya, shedding new light on the Sanchez-Holmes relationship, said former Jet LaDainian Tomlinson told her Saturday night that the two players didn't talk to each other for the last 13 games of last season.

LT is a ****ing punk. Straight up. **** that dude.

I highly doubt this too be true. 13 games LT? They didnt say a word to each other? ****ing unreal. I'd love to punch that ****er in the mouth.

I highly doubt this too be true. 13 games LT? They didnt say a word to each other? ****ing unreal. I'd love to punch that ****er in the mouth.

Why you want to punch the messenger? I watch the non-verbals and I don't see Sanchez particularly inspired with Tone's game or commentary.

Why you want to punch the messenger? I watch the non-verbals and I don't see Sanchez particularly inspired with Tone's game or commentary.

Because he's a punk and I dont believe him. You honestly think they went 13 weeks without speaking? Not a word? Come'on thats fabricated bull sh*t that LT is sharing for no reason other than to stay relevant. A classy player wouldnt have made a comment and just exited stage left and shut his mouth. But not LT, he loves to point the finger and bash his old teammates. He's a punk.

Because he's a punk and I dont believe him. You honestly think they went 13 weeks without speaking? Not a word? Come'on thats fabricated bull sh*t that LT is sharing for no reason other than to stay relevant. A classy player wouldnt have made a comment and just exited stage left and shut his mouth. But not LT, he loves to point the finger and bash his old teammates. He's a punk.

Don't know why...but your post reminded me of the line in Remember the Titans..."attitude reflects leadership"...Rex allowed his team to speak openly and honestly...LT stated what he saw as he pursued his next opportunity in the media...I see no harm, no foul. Tone attitude has not exactly been "team first" and doubt he and Sanchez will ever be BFF...if anything Sanchez's non-verbals tell me that he neither respects nor cares about Tone's antics and is just going threw the motions to get him more balls. To blame LT, when the coach changed the culture and the front office rewarded ignorance is silly.

Sanchez did look like he wanted to smack Tone when he dropped that throw on the slant right in the numbers and he didn't hold on.

Agreed. Never see Sanchez continually feed Tone...often because he doesn't respect his consistency...at least that is how it looks to me. Hope he develops a rapport with Hill and Hill can improve enough to earn more touches.

Don't know why...but your post reminded me of the line in Remember the Titans..."attitude reflects leadership"...Rex allowed his team to speak openly and honestly...LT stated what he saw as he pursued his next opportunity in the media...I see no harm, no foul. Tone attitude has not exactly been "team first" and doubt he and Sanchez will ever be BFF...if anything Sanchez's non-verbals tell me that he neither respects nor cares about Tone's antics and is just going threw the motions to get him more balls. To blame LT, when the coach changed the culture and the front office rewarded ignorance is silly.

LT isnt a member of the NY Jets. All his chatter, was after he left the team, knowing damn well he was retiring. Did you hear LT say anything while he was a Jet? For all we know, and it sure seems this way, LT didnt do a damn thing to help the situation. He was supposed to be a leader and he knew that for 13 games the QB and #1 WR werent speaking? Please. **** that dude. He's a punk, who likes to run his mouth when he knows he wont be held accountable for his actions. He did the same damn thing in San Diego.

And I'm not denying that their relationship was ****ed. Obviously it was but as much as Sanchez doesnt like Tone's attitude, I could easily see why Tone' wouldnt like Sanchez' demeanor as well.

Bottom line, LT is a whiny bitch who's still running his mouth.

Agreed. Never see Sanchez continually feed Tone...often because he doesn't respect his consistency...at least that is how it looks to me. Hope he develops a rapport with Hill and Hill can improve enough to earn more touches.

Remember the chemistry issues that Sanchez and Holmes were having in 2010? Me either? Why? because there was none as Holmes was clearly Mark's favorite target and was money for the Jets.

Remember the chemistry issues that Sanchez and Holmes were having in 2010? Me either? Why? because there was none as Holmes was clearly Mark's favorite target and was money for the Jets.

Funny money mentioned...cause it looked to me that in 2010...Tone played nice to secure more money.

Still...I watch every Jets game and don't see the love...maybe my eyes are missing something...but I don't see Sanchez working very hard to get Tone the ball...if anything I see him feed Keller more.

LT talks out of both sides of his mouth. He did it in SD too. Actually, I liked some of the things I saw. I love that Coples pressure up the gut. That is what make QBs wet themselves, especially the stationery ones. And Ellis looked impressive. Bart Scott just cannot cover anyone. I expected Wilkerson to be further along, especially with Coples getting doubled. Will Landry stay off the injured list? As for Sanchez? Cannot pick up a secondary receiver. If he had 5 seconds he would still not find the guy. Looks like 8-8 to me. Can someone please tell Hill to catch the ball with his hands?

Funny money mentioned...cause it looked to me that in 2010...Tone played nice to secure more money.

Still...I watch every Jets game and don't see the love...maybe my eyes are missing something...but I don't see Sanchez working very hard to get Tone the ball...if anything I see him feed Keller more.

Then you clearly forgot 2010. Holmes had more targets that last half of the year than some of the best WR's in Football. I remember this stat because people were hyping him for Fantasy Football.

Again, I'm not denying their relationship was strained last season but I dont believe that little whiny bitch LT that they didnt speak for 13 straight games.

LT isnt a member of the NY Jets. All his chatter, was after he left the team, knowing damn well he was retiring. Did you hear LT say anything while he was a Jet? For all we know, and it sure seems this way, LT didnt do a damn thing to help the situation. He was supposed to be a leader and he knew that for 13 games the QB and #1 WR werent speaking? Please. **** that dude. He's a punk, who likes to run his mouth when he knows he wont be held accountable for his actions. He did the same damn thing in San Diego.

And I'm not denying that their relationship was ****ed. Obviously it was but as much as Sanchez doesnt like Tone's attitude, I could easily see why Tone' wouldnt like Sanchez' demeanor as well.

Bottom line, LT is a whiny bitch who's still running his mouth.

So it's okay to talk when you are with the team, but once you are let go you have to keep your mouth shut?

LT talks out of both sides of his mouth. He did it in SD too. Actually, I liked some of the things I saw. I love that Coples pressure up the gut. That is what make QBs wet themselves, especially the stationery ones. And Ellis looked impressive. Bart Scott just cannot cover anyone. I expected Wilkerson to be further along, especially with Coples getting doubled. Will Landry stay off the injured list? As for Sanchez? Cannot pick up a secondary receiver. If he had 5 seconds he would still not find the guy. Looks like 8-8 to me. Can someone please tell Hill to catch the ball with his hands?

Someone supposedly did. Holmes. Problem is, Holmes is a body catcher too. I liked what I saw from Hill last night. Sure there was the one bad one, but he was getting open more and I think he will be a weapon. Looks like an upgrade over Burress already between the 20s. Now if only we could get something going in close.

but I don't see Sanchez working very hard to get Tone the ball...if anything I see him feed Keller more.

In all seriousness what would you see if he were trying to get him the ball more? More throws into double coverage and stuff?

So it's okay to talk when you are with the team, but once you are let go you have to keep your mouth shut?

IMO - yes. Because you still have to face your team and deal with the issues and own up to your comments. Cowards walk away talking sh*t. Leaders step in in the face of adversity and do something.

LT is a whiny coward.

Then you clearly forgot 2010. Holmes had more targets that last half of the year than some of the best WR's in Football. I remember this stat because people were hyping him for Fantasy Football.

Again, I'm not denying their relationship was strained last season but I dont believe that little whiny bitch LT that they didnt speak for 13 straight games.

Santonio Holmes = one year wonder. and that was 5 years ago

IMO - yes. Because you still have to face your team and deal with the issues and own up to your comments. Cowards walk away talking sh*t. Leaders step in in the face of adversity and do something.

LT is a whiny coward.

Then the team leader is Wayne Hunter. He is the one that told Holmes to stop ****ing pouting and play or get out of the huddle.

Santonio Holmes = one year wonder. and that was 5 years ago

Holmes = best WR on your favorites team roster. Deal with it.

Then the team leader is Wayne Hunter. He is the one that told Holmes to stop ****ing pouting and play or get out of the huddle.

Cool. Doesnt change the fact LT is whiny bitch.

Actually, that one is on Cimini. That's absolutely not what was said during the game last night, Cimini is completely full of sh*t. The report was that LT said the issues between Holmes and Sanchez started back then, because Holmes was getting all pissy that he had only one catch in the Raiders game. That I would think is entirely plausible, and considering it was around that time that Holmes started running his mouth and Mason was booted off the team, it's not entirely unlikely.

Not sure if anyone else saw it.. But after Tone dropped that pass last night, Sanchez stared him down and Tone looked at him and sort of pointed to himself, as if to acknowledge that he should have made the catch. It wasn't much, but its good to see Holmes taking accountability for his mistakes in an actual game situation with a QB he has been rumored to have been feuding with.

In all seriousness what would you see if he were trying to get him the ball more? More throws into double coverage and stuff?

The word that comes to mind is trust...as in Mark would continue looking his way because he would trust Tone to continue to work to get open when the play breaks down. I don't see that. I also don't see enough designed plays to Tone when the Jets really need a first down. I don't see that. Whatever it is...I don't see Mark and Tone on the same page enough that makes me think he's Mark's "go to" receiver. Can't really explain it better than that. Just my impression.

Actually, that one is on Cimini. That's absolutely not what was said during the game last night, Cimini is completely full of sh*t. The report was that LT said the issues between Holmes and Sanchez started back then, because Holmes was getting all pissy that he had only one catch in the Raiders game. That I would think is entirely plausible, and considering it was around that time that Holmes started running his mouth and Mason was booted off the team, it's not entirely unlikely.

Alright, fine. Then Cimini is full of sh*t. lol. Either way, I didnt believe for 1 second that the 2 didnt speak to each other for 13 games. I'd find that nearly impossible.

LT is still a bitch.

Alright, fine. Then Cimini is full of sh*t. lol. Either way, I didnt believe for 1 second that the 2 didnt speak to each other for 13 games. I'd find that nearly impossible.

LT is still a bitch.

Oh yeah, completely agree with you there, there's no way that's the case. And I don't think this particular instance should change your opinion of LT at all, after all, the fact that he's still talking about this sh*t all this time later is still pretty ridiculous. I'm just saying that it's not even what was reported during the game last night. It just further proves what a little sh*thead Cimini is.

Cruel comment. True but cruel. Hope Hill changes that with time.

Hill is going to be a bust, IMO. He doesnt know how to catch the Football. Big problem. Probably going to be the pick that everyone kills Tanny for over then next few years because he traded everyone's favorite mid round picks to move up for him in front of Chicago who ends up taking Jeffery. Jeffery doesnt drop balls the way Hill does. He may not have the same athleticism and I may have been down on him for getting fat, but he doesnt drop balls like that, ever.

Hill is an athlete not a WR.

Oh, and **** Cimini for taking a dig at Slauson for that foul. That's one of those plays where you know there's not a chance he catches any real crap from the coaches for that one, while just being told "try to be a little more subtle in the future, and let them draw the foul". Those little Carolina punk bitches deserved what they got.

Hill is going to be a bust, IMO. He doesnt know how to catch the Football. Big problem. Probably going to be the pick that everyone kills Tanny for over then next few years because he traded everyone's favorite mid round picks to move up for him in front of Chicago who ends up taking Jeffery. Jeffery doesnt drop balls the way Hill does. He may not have the same athleticism and I may have been down on him for getting fat, but he doesnt drop balls like that, ever.

Hill is an athlete not a WR.

I'll agree on I wanted Alshon Jeffrey. Hill has top end speed so there is hope but Jeffrey can catch everything.

Oh, and **** Cimini for taking a dig at Slauson for that foul. That's one of those plays where you know there's not a chance he catches any real crap from the coaches for that one, while just being told "try to be a little more subtle in the future, and let them draw the foul". Those little Carolina punk bitches deserved what they got.

Co-sign. But Cimini wouldn't get it, since he would never get involved in backing anyone up. He's the run and hide type. You can find him cowering in a corner with his skirt hiked up over his head.

Gotta agree. You have to eat the 15 yards there, if only because it reinforces some semblance of team unity.

Curious, though, how having Sanchez throw Slauson under the bus for it to the media plays out.

I'll agree on I wanted Alshon Jeffrey. Hill has top end speed so there is hope but Jeffrey can catch everything.

I was down on Jeffery because of his weight. Dude got fat last year. I wouldnt have been upset with him in the 2nd because he was the best WR in the NCAA before the season started but just didnt have a great year and thought if he could get in shape, might be the steal of the draft in the 2nd.

Whatevs. Hill has things you cant coach, speed and size...but the dude doesnt know how to catch the Football. Thats a HUGE problem on a team with limited receivers. I dont see him having a very successful NFL career.

Archived